BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

02-19-2017, 11:23 PM   #1
M3MPH1S
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 M3

Strut Tower Reinforcement Plates

I've been searching the forums, but can't really find any information regarding reinforcement plates for the front struts. I guess that means it's not really an issue, but with my car recently cresting 100K miles and about to install KW Clubsport suspension I have to wonder. I've seen some of the dedicated track builds do reinforcement, but that's a whole nother level. I am only doing 4-6 track days per year, but I also put around 30k miles per year on the street. The latter is what I am actually concerned about taking a toll on my strut towers. Anybody have any experience with this or general advice? I was looking at these 2 options since they are not the weld-in type.

http://www.bimmerworld.com/Front-Str...lates-E9X.html

http://www.rogueengineering.com/Fron...XE8X_p_27.html
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2017, 01:20 AM   #2
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

i have never heard of anyone mushrooming an e9x M car. the triangulated front brace helps a bunch, i'm sure, but i don't think its an issue for anyone.
there are a few true rear coilover conversion kits for the rear of our cars, and it is recommended that those get reinforced, but i think there is even someone rolling around like that without any reinforcement or issues.
if you're doing a standard kw kit, you have nothing to worry about.
      02-20-2017, 05:45 AM   #3
M3MPH1S
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
i have never heard of anyone mushrooming an e9x M car. the triangulated front brace helps a bunch, i'm sure, but i don't think its an issue for anyone.
there are a few true rear coilover conversion kits for the rear of our cars, and it is recommended that those get reinforced, but i think there is even someone rolling around like that without any reinforcement or issues.
if you're doing a standard kw kit, you have nothing to worry about.
Good deal, thanks.

One more question since I know you do a lot of track events. Would you recommend I go ahead and upgrade the lower control arm bushings to the BW bearing kit (http://www.bimmerworld.com/BimmerWor...m-Bearing.html)? From what I've read, some people say the bearings are fairly noticeable while others couldn't notice much difference. Obviously they are better overall from a performance standpoint, but do you think I should just feel out the clubsports first or just do the whole upgrade as a package? Or with that in mind is there any other small upgrade you would recommend to go along with the clubsports as a starter?
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2017, 06:22 AM   #4
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

may as well do them while you're in there- these are a bushing and you're at 100,000 miles...
i have the fall line kit. i might be just super sensitive to things, but i noticed a difference just driving down the street. the front end just felt sharper. steering felt a little more precise, and i think those finite adjustments you make while braking hard get a bit easier.
i have had the pleasure of spacing out my little mods between track days, so i get to feel the little things here and there.
here is the thing- if you put me in a car and told me to guess what suspension parts have been replaced, i might not be able to tell if it has the tension arm bushings. its not something that is night and day. i'm simply saying i noticed a difference with my car and i enjoy it. i want to let one of my track friends drive my car and tell me what they think. i know two people that have coilovers, but don't have solid rear bushings or a carbon driveshaft. one of them has dinan monoballs. i'm curious to see what their impressions are coming from their cars. these little driveline/suspension mods have really been my favorite. i'd say go for it.
      02-20-2017, 11:25 AM   #5
M3MPH1S
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef
may as well do them while you're in there- these are a bushing and you're at 100,000 miles...
i have the fall line kit. i might be just super sensitive to things, but i noticed a difference just driving down the street. the front end just felt sharper. steering felt a little more precise, and i think those finite adjustments you make while braking hard get a bit easier.
i have had the pleasure of spacing out my little mods between track days, so i get to feel the little things here and there.
here is the thing- if you put me in a car and told me to guess what suspension parts have been replaced, i might not be able to tell if it has the tension arm bushings. its not something that is night and day. i'm simply saying i noticed a difference with my car and i enjoy it. i want to let one of my track friends drive my car and tell me what they think. i know two people that have coilovers, but don't have solid rear bushings or a carbon driveshaft. one of them has dinan monoballs. i'm curious to see what their impressions are coming from their cars. these little driveline/suspension mods have really been my favorite. i'd say go for it.
Thanks for the info
Just bought them...or attempted to...of course now they're back ordered
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2017, 05:47 PM   #6
drrust
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 DCT Sedan

I had the same question. Thanks for asking it. Unfortunately I had cracks develop on the strut towers on my E36 M3 that had a TCKLINE DA and camber plates. I'm due for a suspension refresh and this has been sticking in the back of my head. The reinforcement rings are available at Turner or Bimmerworld, (not horribly expensive either) but it seems they may not be needed.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2017, 07:45 PM   #7
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

if you're really going to be tracking the hell out of the car and doing a cage, might as well burn on the reinforcements. for the casual guy, its a bit of a hassle that probably isn't needed.
another quick thing to note; the only thing that my girlfriend really noticed without me saying anything is the carbon driveshaft. she spontaneously stated the car feels "smoother." about a minute into a spirited drive up a mountain. she didn't really notice the subframe until i explained what exactly to feel for, and i didn't even mention the monoballs, its only noticeable if you're hands are on the steering wheel.