BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

BPM

02-16-2019, 04:31 AM   #1
Immy68
Rep
Drives: m3

Do I have a problem with my oil indicator?

Hey guys...New owner here. Have the car now since November.

It's frustrating that these cars don't have an oil dipstick because I am not sure if I should be changing my oil or not. Ever since I got the car my oil level indicator has been at the very top of the line. It hasn't moved at all. Is this normal or is it broken? I've only driven it about about 2500 KM.

The thing is the OIL engine service indicator in the screen says it's overdue for an oil change by about 500km or so. I don't know what to believe.

The previous owner also said it should be due for an oil change soon. I lost my PPI paper but I think I remember it saying the oil levels were good....

So do I just go for an oil change even though my oil indicator level is at max (at the very top of the line)
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2019, 05:40 AM   #2
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

its normal.

the oil level indicator is like a digital dipstick. the bottom line is the minimum operating range, and the top is the maximum operating range. anywhere in there, and you're good. it has nothing to do with oil life, even if your car consumes a little bit of oil between changes.

if your car is asking for an oil change, it as probably reached the 24kilo bmw oil service interval. get it changed, and then change your oil about every 12km from here on out. monitor the level from time to time.
      02-16-2019, 09:47 AM   #3
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW E92 M3 Dakar Edition

Oil change intervals have nothing to do with oil levels. Your oil can be full, but if it's due for change you need to change. Vice versa also holds true - just because you have low oil levels doesn't mean you need to change the oil, you can just top up.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2019, 12:53 PM   #4
M43S7RO
Major
Rep
Drives: Jerez Black E92 M3

Personally, I would just change the oil for piece of mind. Not sure what the oil level has to do with determining if it's time to change it...
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2019, 03:54 PM   #5
Ximian
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
2021 BMW M3  [0.00]
Regarding the oil level indication, were you expecting some of the oil to be burned over the course of the oil change interval? If so, welcome to the "Engines That Don't Burn Much Oil" club.
Appreciate 0