BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!

07-09-2018, 09:36 AM   #67
byroncheung
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 m3, 997.2 c2s, x166 GL450

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post
It's possible vibration was present that was exaggerated when spacers were installed. Check the front wheels to make sure they are balanced.

If these are aftermarket wheels, some brands require use of centering rings. If present, make sure they slide properly on the spacer hub.
No they're just stock zcp wheels. I'll bring the car to re-balance the wheels to see if it helps... If it doesn't, I'll probably either just give up on using spacers or try to live with the vibration... I don't think the chance that I got a "bad set of spacers" are high?
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2018, 10:55 AM   #68
tmak90
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 C7 Grand Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by byroncheung View Post
No they're just stock zcp wheels. I'll bring the car to re-balance the wheels to see if it helps... If it doesn't, I'll probably either just give up on using spacers or try to live with the vibration... I don't think the chance that I got a "bad set of spacers" are high?

I was having the same issues as you with the vibrations going 70+mph. Just got new GTS wheels put on and balanced. Vibrations are not noticeable anymore. Could recommend tightening the bolts in star pattern while the wheel is lifted from the ground.

Last edited by tmak90; 07-10-2018 at 04:11 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2018, 11:15 AM   #69
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Quote:
Highly unlikely it's a spacer issue, as any imbalance issues would be noticed on the lathe during machining and rejected during manufacturing. Try verifying the wheel balancing.

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2018, 11:41 AM   #70
byroncheung
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmak90 View Post
I was having the same issues as you with the vibrations going 70+mph. Just got new GTS zcp wheels put on and balanced. Vibrations are not noticeable anymore. Could recommend tightening the bolts in star pattern while the wheel is lifted from the ground.
yep i was tightening in star pattern very carefully already. will report back after balancing the wheels...
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2018, 10:05 AM   #71
ppatel14
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13' E92 AW ZCP 6MT

Subscribing to this thread.

Ever since I've gotten the car (3rd owner), I've always had vibrations above 60mph. The day I tried to install wheel locks, I noticed the bolt was not long enough and realized the previous owner(s) had installed MS 10mm spacers in the rear and TMS 12.5mm spacers in the front. E92 ZCP wheels.

Question - does the 10mm spacer rule also apply to the rear wheels?

Based on byroncheung outcome, I may just get rid of spacers completely or swap them out for another brand.

2013 E92 ZCP /// Alpine stage 2 tune, Bomiz Race X-Pipe, ARC-8 wheels, Vorshlag camber plates, Wheel studs, TMS spacers F15mm/R12.5mm, Stoptech SS lines, BW brass caliper guide
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2018, 04:25 PM   #72
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppatel14 View Post

Ever since I've gotten the car (3rd owner), I've always had vibrations above 60mph. The day I tried to install wheel locks, I noticed the bolt was not long enough and realized the previous owner(s) had installed MS 10mm spacers in the rear and TMS 12.5mm spacers in the front. E92 ZCP wheels.

Based on byroncheung outcome, I may just get rid of spacers completely or swap them out for another brand.
Spacers amplify issues with the rest of the front end. It's entirely possible your issue is with wheel balance. I had issues with vibrations and it was all cause it wasn't mounted properly. It balanced fine but roadforce showed 45-60lbs. Another shop had to remount the tire properly and roadforce it to show under 18lbs.
Track Chat Discord: https://discord.gg/VsKbTyqBVj
SF Bay Area: DM For coding services
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2018, 01:12 AM   #73
Bomiz
Captain
Rep
Drives: SS E92 M3

Quote:
If wheels are good on the balancer, that's good enough. Eliminates ofe of the variables.

Check both rotor hub surface and wheel hub surfaces to be clean and free of any rust/debris. Then torque in a star pattern to 88ft-lbs.
I took both front wheels off. Cleaned the surfaces a little bit, not much honestly. Threw the spacers back on, and torqued to 88ft lbs. (i'm on studs btw).

The vibration was annoying the shit out of me and I would tell you I wouldn't do a long drive with it.

Now on my first drive on the freeway... It's gone.

ILY TOM
Appreciate 1
      07-14-2018, 11:30 AM   #74
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomiz View Post
I took both front wheels off. Cleaned the surfaces a little bit, not much honestly. Threw the spacers back on, and torqued to 88ft lbs. (i'm on studs btw).

The vibration was annoying the shit out of me and I would tell you I wouldn't do a long drive with it.

ILY TOM
Fantastic, glad you're back to 100%. Thanks for following up.

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2018, 02:28 PM   #75
0-60Motorsports
Brigadier General
Bahrain
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 JB 04 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomiz View Post
Quote:
If wheels are good on the balancer, that's good enough. Eliminates ofe of the variables.

Check both rotor hub surface and wheel hub surfaces to be clean and free of any rust/debris. Then torque in a star pattern to 88ft-lbs.

ILY TOM
Excellent
2011 VW Golf R DSG White/Black
IG: @060Motorsports
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2018, 11:42 AM   #76
byroncheung
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:

At my wheel guy's place right now, turned out all 4 wheels are bent to some degree, he is in the process of straightening them. So I probably just didn't feel it before without the spacer. Hopefully, this would be it!

---- update ----
Wheels straightened and balanced, but still have the same vibration over 70mph, not even feeling much improvement after straightening the wheels. For now, I just take the spacer off, most of the vibration is gone without spacers. However, after this episode, it is a bit in my head now. I feel like occasionally there is still some minor vibration at over 70mph. But I suspect it has always been there, just the spacers experience made me a lot more conscious about it...

I guess I'm joining the camp of the unhappy spacer users

Last edited by byroncheung; 07-16-2018 at 09:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2018, 10:29 AM   #77
ppatel14
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13' E92 AW ZCP 6MT

Quote:
At my wheel guy's place right now, turned out all 4 wheels are bent to some degree, he is in the process of straightening them. So I probably just didn't feel it before without the spacer. Hopefully, this would be it!

---- update ----
Wheels straightened and balanced, but still have the same vibration over 70mph, not even feeling much improvement after straightening the wheels. For now, I just take the spacer off, most of the vibration is gone without spacers. However, after this episode, it is a bit in my head now. I feel like occasionally there is still some minor vibration at over 70mph. But I suspect it has always been there, just the spacers experience made me a lot more conscious about it...

I guess I'm joining the camp of the unhappy spacer users
Thanks for the update. Currently waiting on TMS 15mm spacers to put up front to brand match the TMS 12.5mm that will go in the rear (previously in the front). I've cleaned up the hub, spacers, and wheels. If there is no improvement, I will balance the wheels and then try to repair the wheel (looking to powder coat anyway).

2013 E92 ZCP /// Alpine stage 2 tune, Bomiz Race X-Pipe, ARC-8 wheels, Vorshlag camber plates, Wheel studs, TMS spacers F15mm/R12.5mm, Stoptech SS lines, BW brass caliper guide
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2018, 12:04 PM   #78
byroncheung
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the update. Currently waiting on TMS 15mm spacers to put up front to brand match the TMS 12.5mm that will go in the rear (previously in the front). I've cleaned up the hub, spacers, and wheels. If there is no improvement, I will balance the wheels and then try to repair the wheel (looking to powder coat anyway).
Try it without any spacer... In my case, I think there has always been some minor vibration > 70mph just that I never noticed it until the spacer magnified the vibration.

My current quest will now be hunting down the slight vibration without spacer : https://www.m3post.com/forums/showth...1#post23466581

All these debugging is no fun
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2020, 04:47 AM   #79
pennychow
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: bmw e90

any update on this thread?? any vibration issued found after installing spacer?

can some spacer users share their experience here?
Appreciate 0