BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 Marketplace > SPONSORS Classifieds/Groupbuys/Specials Area > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis | Handling
 
Mporium BMW
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-03-2024, 10:36 AM   #45
M3SQRD
Major General
M3SQRD's Avatar
1713
Rep
5,029
Posts

Drives: E92 M3,G20 330ix,F22 240iX,F82
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Mid-Atlantic

iTrader: (11)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bipp View Post
just got my kit in today after ordering in early Nov! def excited to get them installed
Congrats on the R1 setup
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2024, 10:44 AM   #46
M3SQRD
Major General
M3SQRD's Avatar
1713
Rep
5,029
Posts

Drives: E92 M3,G20 330ix,F22 240iX,F82
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Mid-Atlantic

iTrader: (11)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bipp View Post
see his FS thread here: https://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2057577

the build sheet shows 120 and 160 n/mm f/r, which converts to 685/913.

edit: those pics are also on the first page of the thread
R rate is a little low for the F rate. F/R 700/1000 lbf/in (or 700/1100 lbf/in) is a common setup on MCS dampers.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2024, 10:20 PM   #47
1FastSicilian
-Frank
1FastSicilian's Avatar
398
Rep
616
Posts

Drives: 2013 E92 M3 ZCP
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: HUDSON VALLEY, NY

iTrader: (2)

How would you guys compare this kit to the Ohlins dedicated track?
__________________
2005 M3 - SilverGrey/MT - SOLD
2013 E92 M3 ZCP - AW/FR/BLK/DCT
2022 Ram 1500 Laramie Night Edition - leveled/34s
IG: @_frank_stone_
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2024, 10:57 AM   #48
M3SQRD
Major General
M3SQRD's Avatar
1713
Rep
5,029
Posts

Drives: E92 M3,G20 330ix,F22 240iX,F82
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Mid-Atlantic

iTrader: (11)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1FastSicilian View Post
How would you guys compare this kit to the Ohlins dedicated track?
Nitron R1 are a more track/motorsport biased damper but it still works well on the street whereas the Ohlins R&T is a street biased damper that can be used on track. Both are 1-way dampers that adjust both rebound and compression simultaneously. You wonít outgrow the R1 on track as quickly as you would with a R&T and, if you do, I believe you can upgrade it to a R3 (3-way damper). The R1 is more expensive because of the motorsport quality internals. The rebuild intervals are similar but you can probably squeeze out a bit more mileage with the R&T especially if itís only street mileage. I have a set of R&T on my R56 Mini CS and theyíre still going strong after a decade of street use (~35-40k miles). Both dampers are great dampers but with different primary design objectives.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2024, 11:01 AM   #49
1FastSicilian
-Frank
1FastSicilian's Avatar
398
Rep
616
Posts

Drives: 2013 E92 M3 ZCP
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: HUDSON VALLEY, NY

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3SQRD View Post
Nitron R1 are a more track/motorsport biased damper but it still works well on the street whereas the Ohlins R&T is a street biased damper that can be used on track. Both are 1-way dampers that adjust both rebound and compression simultaneously. You wonít outgrow the R1 on track as quickly as you would with a R&T and, if you do, I believe you can upgrade it to a R3 (3-way damper). The R1 is more expensive because of the motorsport quality internals. The rebuild intervals are similar but you can probably squeeze out a bit more mileage with the R&T especially if itís only street mileage. I have a set of R&T on my R56 Mini CS and theyíre still going strong after a decade of street use (~35-40k miles). Both dampers are great dampers but with different primary design objectives.

The R&T is a different damper than the Dedicated Track, thats why I'm curious.
__________________
2005 M3 - SilverGrey/MT - SOLD
2013 E92 M3 ZCP - AW/FR/BLK/DCT
2022 Ram 1500 Laramie Night Edition - leveled/34s
IG: @_frank_stone_
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2024, 11:26 AM   #50
M3SQRD
Major General
M3SQRD's Avatar
1713
Rep
5,029
Posts

Drives: E92 M3,G20 330ix,F22 240iX,F82
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Mid-Atlantic

iTrader: (11)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1FastSicilian View Post
The R&T is a different damper than the Dedicated Track, thats why I'm curious.
R&T dedicated track is the same physical damper with different valving and spring rates. It’s still based on a street-biased damper that’s been setup for more track use. Ohlins TTX/ILX are a better comparison with Nitron products.

The dedicated track has double the front spring rate and a 50% increase in rear rate over the standard street-track kit. Valving is modified to handle the higher rates and that’s it. The Ohlins website even states the dedicated track kit has “track-focused tuning” but it’s still based on the DFV technology. Below are the marketing info for standard and dedicated track kits.
Attached Images
  

Last edited by M3SQRD; 02-17-2024 at 11:50 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2024, 05:54 PM   #51
1FastSicilian
-Frank
1FastSicilian's Avatar
398
Rep
616
Posts

Drives: 2013 E92 M3 ZCP
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: HUDSON VALLEY, NY

iTrader: (2)

Interesting.. I was under the impression that it was a different damper.

I'm looking to upgrade and I'm considering my options, not sure which way to go... I just know that I'm not spending $7k on coilovers lol so certain ones are out of the question for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3SQRD View Post
R&T dedicated track is the same physical damper with different valving and spring rates. Itís still based on a street-biased damper thatís been setup for more track use. Ohlins TTX/ILX are a better comparison with Nitron products.

The dedicated track has double the front spring rate and a 50% increase in rear rate over the standard street-track kit. Valving is modified to handle the higher rates and thatís it. The Ohlins website even states the dedicated track kit has ďtrack-focused tuningĒ but itís still based on the DFV technology. Below are the marketing info for standard and dedicated track kits.
__________________
2005 M3 - SilverGrey/MT - SOLD
2013 E92 M3 ZCP - AW/FR/BLK/DCT
2022 Ram 1500 Laramie Night Edition - leveled/34s
IG: @_frank_stone_
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2024, 12:02 AM   #52
M3SQRD
Major General
M3SQRD's Avatar
1713
Rep
5,029
Posts

Drives: E92 M3,G20 330ix,F22 240iX,F82
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Mid-Atlantic

iTrader: (11)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1FastSicilian View Post
Interesting.. I was under the impression that it was a different damper.

I'm looking to upgrade and I'm considering my options, not sure which way to go... I just know that I'm not spending $7k on coilovers lol so certain ones are out of the question for me.
No. Dampers are identical, only valved differently. If you’re upgrading for track use then I’d recommend the R1 (conventional or the soon to be released elec-TRON R1) over the Ohlins R&T dedicated track setup.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:15 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST