BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

EXXEL Distributions

04-09-2024, 01:39 PM   #243
jmeenach
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TboneS54 View Post
I keep reading that e9x doesn't need as much neg camber as E46 did. Probably something to do with the front subframe or having a extra pair of control arms now.

jmeenach, how did you determine to go with -3.25? The correct way to take temps across the tire surface and go to the amount of neg camber that creates an even distribution of heat across the tire.

I wonder if street/dual duty cars need more than -3?
Many of my friends that track their e9x cars often actually run higher camber up front than I do. Those guys are in the 3.5-3.7 range.

While I haven't taken tire temps across the entire tread surface, the decision was made by West End because of the high level of shoulder wear I had on my front tires after 2-3 track days. The alignment was a weak point in my setup compared to the track focused suspension components, etc., so I had to up my camber considerably to increase contact patch. While my car sees dual duty, we decided against a less-aggressive setup because I run 10+ track days per year and cycle-out/wear the full tire out long before my inner shoulder wear becomes an issue. That said, the car only sees approx. 4k street miles annually.

I've only run one extended session post-alignment, but I can say my tire wear appears to be much more consistent than with my 2.6 setup. That session was at Spring Mountain, which I had never run before, so I don't yet have a true comparison, but the car felt much better in the corners than it has previously. I need to take the car back to WSIR and BRP for a full update.

FWIW the guys at West End are themselves racers and have a lot of experience with several platforms. If anyone is in SoCal, I recommend giving them a call.
Appreciate 0