BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

BPM

04-19-2021, 11:10 PM   #1
linnadawg
Rep
Drives: 06 330i

Used cic coding 2011 M3

Car was purchased recently with no sound at all. Previous owner installed an incorrect cic part number, it was too old. I purchased a 07/10 cic for my 04/11. My car originally came with nav. Can someone walk me through coding this used cic to my vin and help get nav back as well? Most of the videos I see are for cic retrofits. I’m new to coding but have all the tools installed on my laptop.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2021, 07:29 PM   #2
dpaul
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335xi, 2011 E93 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by linnadawg View Post
Car was purchased recently with no sound at all. Previous owner installed an incorrect cic part number, it was too old. I purchased a 07/10 cic for my 04/11. My car originally came with nav. Can someone walk me through coding this used cic to my vin and help get nav back as well? Most of the videos I see are for cic retrofits. IÂ’m new to coding but have all the tools installed on my laptop.
You're not going to be able to activate nav using BMW standard tools (INPA, NCSExpert, Tool32, WinKFP) which I will assume is what you mean when you say you "have all the tools". Nav requires something an authorization code (FSC) written to the CIC but you'll need other software to do that. It is possible that since your car left the factory with the proper FSC that BMW will provide it for you - of course they will still charge you for doing the programming.

Other than getting a dealer to restore the FSC, your options are:

Hardware:
Install an "emulator", basically a simple device that intercepts CANbus messages to and from the CIC. Find them on ebay search E90 CIC emulator

Software:
Search "CIC patcher", "FSTool2" or look at this link:
https://cartechnology.co.uk/showthread.php?tid=23198.
Frankly, this can be tricky and unless you are relatively computer savvy, you might want to pay someone to do it remotely.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2021, 07:54 PM   #3
linnadawg
Rep

Who can I pay to do this remotely? I have an indie euro shop here that charges 30 min for coding but I assume they won’t be able to get the fsc codes?
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2021, 09:58 PM   #4
dpaul
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335xi, 2011 E93 M3

Look on the E90post forums - lots of people do remote coding, some of them will be able to do the patching and FSC write.

Bimmer-tech.net can do this - they're on the expensive side though
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2021, 11:56 AM   #5
linnadawg
Rep

Paid alpinemss for the remote coding. He was worried because he says when you install a used cic you should get some sound, I had none. After coding, sound works again. He said the firmware was old.

This was a tough one to diagnose because the previous owner messed with the car. I used ista to play test tones through the amp module and got the speakers to work when diagnosing. Bypassed the combox, still no sound. Traced the entire most loop, it was fine. After replacing the cic with a used unit and no coding I was getting no sound and 4 codes for speaker output leads open circuit.
Appreciate 0