BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

European Auto Source (EAS)

03-19-2019, 01:07 PM   #1
@Space.grey.m3
@space.grey.m3
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW e92 M3

Questions Regarding a 100 Octane Tune

Hi,

I have spent a lot of time searching this and have found conflicting info.

I have a 2011 E92 M3 with a 93 octane tune from Bentuning with the option to switch to a 100 octane tune map.

I also have a K&N air filter, test pipes, exhaust, and I'll be putting on an under drive pulley in the next week or two.

My question is:

Is it worth going from the 93 octane tune to the 100 octane tune?

What kind of HP gains would I really see?

I am not asking if going to 100 octane on a stock (No tune) car would be beneficial. As this is what I came across the most when trying to search this subject.

I know you can pick up power on a stock (No tune) car going from 91 to 93, or even as high as 95. And that going to 100 octane wouldn't be helpful and you might even loose HP.

Just want to know what gains I would see going to an actual 100 octane tune.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2019, 08:00 AM   #2
Dakar Bam
Private First Class
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 E92 Dakar edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by @Space.grey.m3 View Post
Hi,

I have spent a lot of time searching this and have found conflicting info.

I have a 2011 E92 M3 with a 93 octane tune from Bentuning with the option to switch to a 100 octane tune map.

I also have a K&N air filter, test pipes, exhaust, and I'll be putting on an under drive pulley in the next week or two.

My question is:

Is it worth going from the 93 octane tune to the 100 octane tune?

What kind of HP gains would I really see?

I am not asking if going to 100 octane on a stock (No tune) car would be beneficial. As this is what I came across the most when trying to search this subject.

I know you can pick up power on a stock (No tune) car going from 91 to 93, or even as high as 95. And that going to 100 octane wouldn't be helpful and you might even loose HP.

Just want to know what gains I would see going to an actual 100 octane tune.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.
I had the same questions as you and I couldn't get them answered here.

I did some of my own test and I do have a tune from one of the main vendors.

I asked the tuner for a pump file 91aki 95 (ron) and 98aki (102 ron) and a e85 file... tuner said just add better fuel in on my pump map and it will adapt so no need for a another gasoline/petrol map .I know this is bullshit.

a separate 100 octane map is ideal because if you got a callout to race you can simply add some octane booster and a bit of eth to reach 100 octane if your tank was halfway full.

now if you only had 1 pump file and a e85 file and your tank was half way full and you got a callout to race you would need to drive out so much fuel and hope you get your ethanol content mixture right to get e85.

if I am very honest I cant feel the difference from 91aki to 95aki...only from 100 I can tell its better so definitely get another higher octane map
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2019, 08:16 AM   #3
eatsleepboost
Captain
Rep
Drives: Evo

The higher the octane rating is the more it resists detonation. Because of this you are able to add timing (on a NA car) or more boost pressure (on a turbo, s/c car). The net result from either of those is more hp. If the tune file you have does indeed add timing then you will get a hp increase when running the higher octane fuel. Since you cannot view the tune timing map we cannot confirm either way. A back to back Dyno pull on the 2 fuels and 2 maps would get you the answer.
Appreciate 0