BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E46 M3 Coupe and Convertible > General E46 M3 Talk

INDustry distribution

02-22-2019, 12:35 PM   #177
Obioban
Emperor
Rep
Drives: 05 M3, 95 M3 euro, 01 M5, e91

Garage List
All buttoned up, with the bumper back on:

Side note:
ZHP steering rack, CSL Kingpins, and new wheel bearings are installed, and I'm back on the stock oil cooler.

The various projects took a couple lbs off the nose, so hopefully it's closer to an even 50:50 distro now.

I'm hoping to have time to corner balance the car this weekend (and code the MK60 for the new rack, and flush all the fluids), then take it to get aligned, then corner balance it again... and then I can finally form an opinion on this flat ride stuff
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2019, 01:31 PM   #178
Obioban
Emperor
Rep

Garage List
I wasn't originally going to post about this, but the weight difference ended up being bigger than I expected. I noticed a while back that the CSL has a different aux coolant pump than the M3. This was probably to allow it to have more clearance to the airbox, but maybe not (since the stock on cleared). The CSL used the same one as the non M e46 (64118369805), so when I randomly stumbled upon one I grabbed it.

Dry weight between them is 1.22 lbs per realoem, but I suspect the actual weight difference is a little more since it fills with coolant.
CSL/e46 version: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/part...&q=64118369805
M3 version: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/part...&q=64118369807

Wiring was pretty easy-- the M3 version has two plugs, whereas the non M version has 1. One of the plugs from the M3 part connects to the non M version, so I used that, cut off the other and taped it into the harness, and all seems to work as expected.

Size comparison:

Installed:

I fully understand that 1.5 lbs isn't much in isolation. Just working on pushing that weight distro back to 50:50.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2019, 02:09 PM   #179
Obioban
Emperor
Rep

Garage List
Side note: I'm corner balancing the car this weekend. I believe I've taken ~12 lbs off the nose this winter, between the aux coolant pump, (xenon) fog light delete (minus brake duct install), going back to the stock oil cooler, and removing some unused wiring.

Here's to hoping I get .1-.2% of the 50:50 distro bac
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2019, 10:47 AM   #180
Obioban
Emperor
Rep

Garage List
I had the car on track this weekend with flat ride for the first time. Setup: 1.84hz front, 2.09hz rear, for a 1.13 bounce ratio, with a FRC of 68%. 3.25 front camber, 1.8 rear camber, square tire setup, square hot tire pressures.

The car DID settle down much faster, so I think I'm really going to enjoy flat ride, but... holy shit was it over steer city with that 68% FRC. It made it hard to think about anything else.

So, before my next event I'm debating the following options:
1) stock M3 rear sway. This would move me to a 69% FRC (1% change)... not overly significant change
2) remove the rear sway completely. This would give me a 76% FRC. Feels like this might be too significant of a change and make the car all understeer all the time.
3) remove the rear sway and change to stiffer rear springs. This would let me get any FRC I want, but make the rear of the car stiffer than I'd like
4) stiffer front sway. I'd rather not do this if possible.
5) increase rear bump travel/decrease rear droop travel. This will put the front into the bump stops before the rear, which should push the car into understeer more at the limit.

I'm pretty surprised how oversteery the car felt at 68%, given than the stock M3 is 68%! Maybe the oversteer/understeer limit feeling is more determined by the on bump stop FRC? In which case stock is 71.6%...

Anyway, I'm open to input as to which route to proceed with. I'm kinda sorta leaning towards stock M3 sway (moves me to 69%), but don't really want to spend another with the car wanting to spin on me every turn. I had quite a few pucker moments

Do we really think 75% is neutral? Seems like the stock M3 is biased towards understeer, and it's 68-72%...

I think I'm initially going to do a combination of 1 & 5, and see how she feels next event.
Appreciate 0