BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

06-10-2016, 03:42 PM   #23
Amirsm3
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Space Grey e90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeM3SSII View Post
got an update. The foreman is now in communication with bmw engineers about it and they're considering upgrading softwares through an IRAP session (through internet). So at least they have recognized there is an issue, according to the Service GM who talked with me. Car is electronically connected to their electronic bench. Don't know more for now.
That's progress at the very least.

BMWCCA:518970
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2016, 01:29 PM   #24
BGBF18
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E90 M3 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeM3SSII
I have an odd issue with my zcp m3. After 2.5 years of ownership the three edc modes feel the same (stiff) and both servo modes also feel the same (stiff) with no perceptible change when switching modes. But dealer found no error codes and another zcp m3 at the dealer felt exactly like mine (no difference felt). The foreman testdrove both our cars and since both feel the same he thought it is ok but i know as the original owner of my car this is not working, as i remember how distinct the difference was and should be.

edit : if you wonder if your car has this problem do not set idrive to switch power mode and edc together, try switching edc alone. This should be obvious though. Same comment about servo.

Searching online I found 2 similar cases in e60 m5s that was caused by the wires loom that had worn against subframe causing shorts (no error codes or malfunction given !).

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e34...c-problem.html

Any central north carolina m3 owners willing to meet and compare edc and servo modes please send me a private msg. If both my cars and that other m3 have this issue, there must be more.
I wonder if the edc-k failed and simply remained in whatever setting it was in when it failed. That, however, would require a failure that didn't trip a caution light.

My edc-k failed, but I wasn't able to switch modes at all.

As for the servo-tronic, no idea. Is there a central hub that could be the culprit (e.g. an overall management computer)?

Either way, my '08 definitely feels different in all modes. Any question? Take a wide-sweeping on-ramp >100 in comfort and then in sport - you'll feel the difference. Other option is drive on a cobblestone street in sport vice comfort - I promise you'll notice...
      06-13-2016, 10:48 AM   #25
Rajmun340
Major
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3 ZCP factory order

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGBF18 View Post
I wonder if the edc-k failed and simply remained in whatever setting it was in when it failed. That, however, would require a failure that didn't trip a caution light.

My edc-k failed, but I wasn't able to switch modes at all.

As for the servo-tronic, no idea. Is there a central hub that could be the culprit (e.g. an overall management computer)?

Either way, my '08 definitely feels different in all modes. Any question? Take a wide-sweeping on-ramp >100 in comfort and then in sport - you'll feel the difference. Other option is drive on a cobblestone street in sport vice comfort - I promise you'll notice...
At this point, i suspect a software glitch has hanged edc and servo modes internally in the software. I expect dealer to try to reprogram DME, DSC and distribution box modules and check the result. Seems the most plausible scenario given a clean fail with no error codes. If that doesn't solve it, i think they should look at the steering angle sensor (possibly sending faulty data without triggering error) which is the only common sensor for edc and servo. If it's two separate issues then edc-k module becomes suspect too.

I know there is no mistaking possible between modes when it works, i had to insist with foreman as he wouldn't have the experience driving in different modes and no error gave him placebo effect (that and not having to fix what could be a tricky issue ).

did you have error codes ?

Last edited by Rajmun340; 06-13-2016 at 10:58 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2016, 10:58 AM   #26
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Corvette GS, AMG C63 S

I believe the EDC failure mode is the "sport" (stiffest) setting. There was another thread about this very recently.
      06-13-2016, 12:02 PM   #27
Rajmun340
Major
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3 ZCP factory order

Quote:
Originally Posted by dparm View Post
I believe the EDC failure mode is the "sport" (stiffest) setting. There was another thread about this very recently.
It feels stiff. It may not be exactly like sport if the dampers valves aren't driven by the solenoids but close.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2016, 09:10 PM   #28
BGBF18
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E90 M3 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeM3SSII View Post
At this point, i suspect a software glitch has hanged edc and servo modes internally in the software. I expect dealer to try to reprogram DME, DSC and distribution box modules and check the result. Seems the most plausible scenario given a clean fail with no error codes. If that doesn't solve it, i think they should look at the steering angle sensor (possibly sending faulty data without triggering error) which is the only common sensor for edc and servo. If it's two separate issues then edc-k module becomes suspect too.

I know there is no mistaking possible between modes when it works, i had to insist with foreman as he wouldn't have the experience driving in different modes and no error gave him placebo effect (that and not having to fix what could be a tricky issue ).

did you have error codes ?
I totally agree with your logic. A software reload seems in order.

As for me, I did have codes.

-DSC failure with several codes and total loss of DSC, hill hold and EDC.
-BavTech tool cleared all but the "steering angle sensor failure".
-Over a period of days, the failure progressed to an EDC failure and a "strut" pictogram in the center display. Still no DSC, EDC or hill hold.

Went to dealer. They claim the tech spent several hours shooting wires before settling on a faulty EDC-K.

No matter, once a new EDC-K was installed and programmed, my wallet was $1050 lighter, but the car hasn't had an issue since.

I don't think EDC-Ks fail all that often, but I have read on this forum that water intrusion can be an issue - which I think is what caused my problem.

I'll be interested to hear how this turns out for you...good luck!
      06-14-2016, 03:36 PM   #29
MMMCOOKIES55
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M3 ZCP/ '16 ATS-V

OP, where in NC are you? i am out in Apex.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2016, 07:32 AM   #30
KPM3er
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M3 e92 Space Gray ZCP

My 2013 ZCP with about 11K miles had the EDC Malfunction code come up a couple weeks ago. I cleared it with Carly. Next day I drive about 25 miles and just as I pulled into my driveway code pops up again. Pushing the EDC button didn't change any settings.

I took it to the dealer and they told me the computer couldn't communicate with the EDC modules so they replaced the modules. Thankfully still under warranty. No issues now.

I want to say suspension feels "softer" when set to comfort, but the car always felt stiff to me at any setting so don't really know.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2016, 02:34 PM   #31
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 Cayman GT4

It's not a night and day difference like from a Lexus to a race car, but it's definitely noticeable in the right conditions. On my non-ZCP car, driving around normally on typical public roads, I couldn't reliably tell the difference between Comfort and Normal; I had to be carrying reasonable speed through corners on back roads or the track to tell that difference, where Comfort just felt a bit too floaty and roll-y. However, I could definitely tell the difference between either of those modes compared to Sport just on regular dips or bumps in the pavement, expansion joints on the freeway, etc. Sport always felt too harsh for me in that setting for no real benefit, so I never used it there -- I didn't feel the need to suffer a harsher ride just "because racecar". I used it on smooth tracks like CotA though.

Gone but not forgotten:
'11.75 M3 E92 Le Mans | Black Nov w/ Alum | 6MT (owned 5/2011 - 11/2015)
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2016, 02:38 PM   #32
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW E90 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphughan View Post
It's not a night and day difference like from a Lexus to a race car, but it's definitely noticeable in the right conditions. On my non-ZCP car, driving around normally on typical public roads, I couldn't reliably tell the difference between Comfort and Normal; I had to be carrying reasonable speed through corners on back roads or the track to tell that difference, where Comfort just felt a bit too floaty and roll-y. However, I could definitely tell the difference between either of those modes compared to Sport just on regular dips or bumps in the pavement, expansion joints on the freeway, etc. Sport always felt too harsh for me in that setting for no real benefit, so I never used it there -- I didn't feel the need to suffer a harsher ride just "because racecar". I used it on smooth tracks like CotA though.
Correctomundo. Sport is sporty when called for, but Harsh(!) when forced to always use it like I have lately....
Appreciate 0