BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

EXXEL Distributions

02-11-2009, 07:29 PM   #1
nullspace
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 m40i

Smartphone cradle out yet?

I searched for 6NF and smartphone, but I didn't see any recent threads on the topic.

Has the iPhone cradle for the smartphone integration come out yet? I was under the impression that it was coming soon, but I haven't heard anything from my dealer since picking up my car in November.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2009, 07:45 PM   #2
sgmsmg
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3

Try this:

http://accessories.bmwusa.com/ItemVi...&productId=948
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2009, 11:00 PM   #3
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgmsmg View Post
That would be the old non-6NF cradle, and is also for the 1st generation iPhone only.

OP, check the audio forum on E90post.com there is tons of info over there, including part numbers. However, the part is backorderd I believe.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2009, 11:05 AM   #4
fe3
Lurker
Rep
Drives: 09 AW E92 M3

Garage List
2009 E92 M3  [0.00]
I did some searching and found this:

BMW Adds Smartphone Integration (09 models, iPhone 3G)

Then user bryanwxup reported the part numbers and had this to say:

Quote:
84 21 2 151 038 for the iPhone 3G adapter in cars without 6NF option.
84 21 2 151 043 for the iPhone 3G adapter in cars with 6NF option.

* The glovebox USB port can play music directly, but features are limited. The primary purpose of the USB port in the glovebox is to load large quantities of data such as music, movies (don't ask me about formats or how-to), and of course flash software updates and Navigational map information.
* The console USB port in combination with the 50 EURO iPod/iPhone/iTouch Y-Cable provides music with all of the standard iPod options such as artist/genre, etc. plus an A-Z search which goes beyond the feature list of some iPods.
* The console USB port WITHOUT the use of the Y-Cable will only play songs in order from the attached device.
* The console headphone adapter does just what a usual headphone adapter will do, play sound and no data.
* The console USB adapter from 2009 onwards will charge all iPod units. I have tested it on my iPhone 3g, Nano 2nd Gen and Nano 4th Gen.
Pics of the snap-in here.

Video of it in action.

Here it is on BMW's accessory site.

Hope this helps. I'm trying to locate one as well.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2009, 11:21 AM   #5
fe3
Lurker
Rep

Garage List
2009 E92 M3  [0.00]
I'm a bit confused, however, because it seems lots of folks report the cradle does not allow music playback and is simply a way to charge the iPhone and extend its reception. Is it possible the 84 21 2 151 038 (without 6NF) cradle is just that: a charger and a connection to the car's antennae? If so, does the 84 21 2 151 043 cradle (with 6NF) add the ability to use the iPhone as an external music device (searchable, A-Z list, playlists, etc.)?

Can someone with an iPhone 3G, 6NF and the 84 21 2 151 043 cradle confirm that it 1) charges the iPhone, 2) extends the reception, and 3) allows for the iPhone to serve as an external music source?

Thanks much!
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2009, 11:34 AM   #6
southlight
Moderator / European Editor
Rep
Drives: X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by fe3 View Post
I'm a bit confused, however, because it seems lots of folks report the cradle does not allow music playback and is simply a way to charge the iPhone and extend its reception. Is it possible the 84 21 2 151 038 (without 6NF) cradle is just that: a charger and a connection to the car's antennae? If so, does the 84 21 2 151 043 cradle (with 6NF) add the ability to use the iPhone as an external music device (searchable, A-Z list, playlists, etc.)?

Can someone with an iPhone 3G, 6NF and the 84 21 2 151 043 cradle confirm that it 1) charges the iPhone, 2) extends the reception, and 3) allows for the iPhone to serve as an external music source?

Thanks much!
It does allow music playback. You need 6FL, 6NF and the cradle you mentioned (84 21 2 151 043) to make it work. The OP in the thread you cited didn't have 6NF.

Best regards, south

JOIN THE 6MT CLUB GROUP
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2009, 12:53 PM   #7
fe3
Lurker
Rep

Garage List
2009 E92 M3  [0.00]
Thanks, south. You cleared things up perfectly.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2009, 01:27 PM   #8
nullspace
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 m40i

Thanks everyone - I'll see if I can get my hands on one.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2009, 12:29 PM   #9
fe3
Lurker
Rep

Garage List
2009 E92 M3  [0.00]
Talked to me CA. He ordered one for me but said it's on backorder (84 21 2 151 043).
      02-16-2009, 05:20 PM   #10
ColoCane
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by southlight View Post
It does allow music playback. You need 6FL, 6NF and the cradle you mentioned (84 21 2 151 043) to make it work. The OP in the thread you cited didn't have 6NF.
So let me just confirm, Southlight, the cradle does NOT come with the 6NF? Wish my CA had told me. I ordered 6NF and 6FL to have the felixibility of iPhone 3G or iPod, but I thought the cradle came with the 6NF Smartphone Integration.

Great thread. Thanks...

'97 E36 M3 Sedan Hellrot Red/Black; '03 E46 330Ci Met. Gray/Black; '06 E46 330Ci ZPF Imola Red/Saddle
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2009, 05:28 PM   #11
ColoCane
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Follow-up to previous:

If you have to order the cradle in addition to 6NF Smartphone Integration, what exactly is 6NF doing for you by itself?

'97 E36 M3 Sedan Hellrot Red/Black; '03 E46 330Ci Met. Gray/Black; '06 E46 330Ci ZPF Imola Red/Saddle
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2009, 06:31 PM   #12
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoCane View Post
Follow-up to previous:

If you have to order the cradle in addition to 6NF Smartphone Integration, what exactly is 6NF doing for you by itself?
The 6NF only provides a particular new platform -the eject box- giving you the capability of fully integrating the music and the phone features of the iPhone or any available/future smartphone in one single hardware connection to the car systems. The smartphone connection requires a phone specific cradle.

The platform is useless without the proper cradle.

Before the 6NF, the iPhone was either connected to an OEM cradle for just charging and external antenna or to the OEM iPod adapter. Now, the OEM hardware -with its supporting software, of course- is able to combine both music access, control and playback and phone hard connections into one single platform.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2009, 07:12 PM   #13
Adonislike
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Toyota Insight/Honda Prius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
The 6NF only provides a particular new platform -the eject box- giving you the capability of fully integrating the music and the phone features of the iPhone or any available/future smartphone in one single hardware connection to the car systems. The smartphone connection requires a phone specific cradle.

The platform is useless without the proper cradle.

Before the 6NF, the iPhone was either connected to an OEM cradle for just charging and external antenna or to the OEM iPod adapter. Now, the OEM hardware -with its supporting software, of course- is able to combine both music access, control and playback and phone hard connections into one single platform.
I asked my BMW SA the other day if the iPhone 3G cradle is here in the US yet, and of course, he says no. I know a few members here have them over in Europe, but Im still waiting on mine. Been on order 4 months I think
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2009, 06:52 AM   #14
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

If anyone finds out a part number for the 6NF eject box, please post here.

I realize that it is only designed for use in 6NF equipped cars, and comes installed in them from the factory. However, I'd like to get my hands on one anyway and see if there is an opportunity to patch in connections to a 6FL Y cable. This would allow non-6NF cars to play music from the cradle.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2009, 01:07 PM   #15
ColoCane
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
...The platform is useless without the proper cradle...
Thank you, Technic. Wish my freaking CA had said something. I would have ordered it over a month ago!

Appreciate 0
      02-19-2009, 07:48 PM   #16
Adonislike
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adonislike View Post
I asked my BMW SA the other day if the iPhone 3G cradle is here in the US yet, and of course, he says no. I know a few members here have them over in Europe, but Im still waiting on mine. Been on order 4 months I think
Jus got my cradle today. Already having problems. Tech....HELP!!! (Again, LOL)

PM Me when you get in bro
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2009, 04:42 PM   #17
fe3
Lurker
Rep

Garage List
2009 E92 M3  [0.00]
Got a call from my dealership. They have the 3G cradle in (84 21 2 151 043). He says I need an eject button piece as well, which is ordering in addition to the cradle. The eject button is $143. Huh?!?! Do I need this? If I have 6FL and 6NF, plus the cradle, do I also need an eject button for another $143?

Thanks!
      02-20-2009, 09:55 PM   #18
Adonislike
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Got a call from my dealership. They have the 3G cradle in (84 21 2 151 043). He says I need an eject button piece as well, which is ordering in addition to the cradle. The eject button is $143. Huh?!?! Do I need this? If I have 6FL and 6NF, plus the cradle, do I also need an eject button for another $143?

Thanks!
If you have the Smartphone option, which you do, you shouldnt need that from what I know. I could be way off, but my dealership had to look at my cradle/set-up today because the music is not playing out of the cradle properly and they didnt say a word about an eject button. Especially for no $143 bucks. I'da went off and they know it.

Cradle cost $135 after tax and that took long enough. Had to order another one today that should be in on Tuesday. Little dealer secret to their ordering process from BMW I learned
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2009, 02:31 PM   #19
ColoCane
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

iPhone 3G/Smartphone Integration Update

Based upon all the posts above, and rising concern on my part, I went to the dealer yesterday to get some answers.

It's obvious that the dealers are trying to figure out the integration system as well, but my CA was very helpful.

Yesterday, I went to the dealer with my iPhone 3G to figure this all out. They did not have a 3G cradle, but we sat in an '09 (335 actually) with smartphone integration. I plugged in the 3G through the Y-cord (6FL) and sync'ed the bluetooth. Well, the phone appeared to have FULL functionality. My contacts uploaded to the iDrive, I could call out and received calls through the car, flawlessly. I was even able to set one of the radio preset buttons to "one-touch" call my home phone. Worked fine. As far as music, that worked just fine, too. Shows under external device, showed all music, artists, playlists, etc. It charged and had a good signal as well.

So, I'm wondering, while the cradle may look cleaner under the armrest, than hooking to the Y-cord, why is it a necessity? Comments appreciated, please! Want to get to the bottom of this ASAP.

Not sure if I've simplified or complicated the matter...

Appreciate 0
      02-22-2009, 02:40 PM   #20
Adonislike
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Based upon all the posts above, and rising concern on my part, I went to the dealer yesterday to get some answers.

It's obvious that the dealers are trying to figure out the integration system as well, but my CA was very helpful.

Yesterday, I went to the dealer with my iPhone 3G to figure this all out. They did not have a 3G cradle, but we sat in an '09 (335 actually) with smartphone integration. I plugged in the 3G through the Y-cord (6FL) and sync'ed the bluetooth. Well, the phone appeared to have FULL functionality. My contacts uploaded to the iDrive, I could call out and received calls through the car, flawlessly. I was even able to set one of the radio preset buttons to "one-touch" call my home phone. Worked fine. As far as music, that worked just fine, too. Shows under external device, showed all music, artists, playlists, etc. It charged and had a good signal as well.

So, I'm wondering, while the cradle may look cleaner under the armrest, than hooking to the Y-cord, why is it a necessity? Comments appreciated, please! Want to get to the bottom of this ASAP.

Hi. I agree with everything stated in your post. The reason I purchased the cradle is because the cell reception is horrible when people call or I call them through the bluetooth and even in the manual, the cradle states it is supposed to boost the cell reception by connecting to the outside antenna. Like you, the service says full strength and no issues with syncing while connecting via the Y Cable. But everybody I speak to says they cannot hear me through the bluetooth when I try. Very choppy, even though I hear them clearly. I know its something with the BMW Bluetooth/iPhone, iPhone 3G because I have had 2 different iPhones plugged into this system and the results were identical. I also have a less-capable Verizon phone and when that one is synced, it is flawless reception. Lets not all get into the Verizon vs AT&T debate because as I stated above, reception is great for both carriers where I am. So unless this is the case when I get to the bottom of the music malfunction with the cradle, I will be returning the cradle and have to deal with the calls being terrible via the iPhone

Other members have posted they have experienced no difference in reception quality, some have posted they have noticed a difference. I needed to find out for myself.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2009, 10:02 PM   #21
fe3
Lurker
Rep

Garage List
2009 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:

My understanding is that the cradle is the only way to take advantage of the car's antenna with your smartphone. Other than the increased stability in securing the iPhone in the cradle, the only advantage over the 6FL is the use of the antenna.

If anyone knows differently, please chime in.
      02-24-2009, 02:44 AM   #22
JIO
Captain
Rep
Drives: '09 Space Gray E92 M3 w/DCT

Quote:
My understanding is that the cradle is the only way to take advantage of the car's antenna with your smartphone. Other than the increased stability in securing the iPhone in the cradle, the only advantage over the 6FL is the use of the antenna.

If anyone knows differently, please chime in.

Nope, you have it. The only extra feature is the increased reception when the phone is plugged into the cradle. $175 for extra reception. For about $5, you can buy a roll of duct tape and tape the phone outside to the roof for the better reception...he he. The cradle is a much cleaner installation for the phone.
Appreciate 0