BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

Mporium BMW

05-04-2016, 10:58 AM   #23
italyix
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bx Tpr
I've had the AKG's in for over 10,000 miles and they're great.

http://www.akgmotorsport.com/product...yurethane-75d/

The only drivetrain mount I didn't change was the tranny mount. I tried it and the noise inside the cabin was too much.
From my research, no one makes a 6MT tranny mount replacements, right?
      05-04-2016, 01:20 PM   #24
///Mobbin
Colonel
Rep
Drives: m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kong Sheng Han View Post
Bigjae recommends staying away from them. He's seen some top nut/bolt failures.
I wonder if that was from before or after the re-design (pic below). From the website: "Proven winner since 2006. This design was updated in 2013 to reflect updates in SCCA rules, which now allow more metal content for a stronger overall assembly."

05-04-2016, 01:48 PM   #25
nholmes
Track Whore
United_States
Rep
Drives: women wild

Vorshlag is legit, surprised that they had a product that failed at all. Not surprised that they retooled the design.

How much more torque are you going to put down with stiffer mounts? Not being a sarcastic jerk, mostly curious here.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2016, 02:25 PM   #26
modernbeat
Motorsports Engineer
Rep
Drives: Caged

So, I had a member here point us to this thread with some questions about the mounts and legitimate concerns about their use in their daily driver. Here's what I wrote back to him.

For a daily driver with stock power levels there is not an easy solution. If a performance motor mount is doing what it should be doing (limiting movement) you WILL have more vibration passed into the tub. The stiffer the mount, the more vibration will be passed. If you find that you need to keep the engine from rolling over and causing the money-shift on track, then you need stiffer engine mounts. More power and more grip will exacerbate the situation, and you will find that stiffer mounts are required to keep you from missing shifts, having the shifter bind up, or shifting into the wrong gear (and blowing up an engine - the money shift).

We have looked at a LOT of other designs and still feel our style is the best. We don't rely on metal bonded to poly, which ends up tearing. We don't have a true bolt-through design, which requires massive torque to keep it in place. Our mount is secured to the subframe separately from the bolt that holds the polyurethane bushing and engine. And what was mentioned in that thread about over torquing is true. If you over tighten and preload the bushing, you have made the mount stiffer and it will pass more vibrations. Tightening it up just enough to capture the bushing is the right way to install ours. Tightening it until the bushing bulges is NOT going to make you happy.

There was also a mention of our mounts breaking. They did. The previous design was susceptible to damage if it was asked to bend, which is what happens when someone drops the transmission without loosening the engine mounts. I spoke to many owners that broke a stud and kept a database of issues. In every case they had either had a recent wreck (causing a shearing motion to the mount), or more commonly, had serviced the transmission or clutch without loosening the engine mounts (like putting a huge cheater bar over the stud and then bending it over). When the SCCA changed their rules that stipulated the ratio of metal in replacement mounts we took that opportunity to make the mount stronger with a shorter top stud. Since then they have been problem free and seem to even stand up to the dropped-transmission issue.

The bottom line is that if fresh, stock mounts are not preventing shifting problems for you, then you should move to a stiffer engine mount. If that's is not enough, then add a stiffer transmission mount. And if that is not enough, move to a solid engine mount and the stiffer transmission mounts. Understand though, that with every iteration they will pass a little more vibration into the tub. With just poly engine mounts, it's a livable amount when installed right. With engine and transmission mounts, you most likely have performance tires, dampers and upgraded spring rates, so the change in vibration will most likely be lost in the changes that those other components make.
      05-05-2016, 10:24 AM   #27
///Mobbin
Colonel
Rep

Thanks Jason, good info to have, will definitely consider the Vorshlag poly mounts.
      05-05-2016, 10:10 PM   #28
bigjae1976
Major General
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 M3 Individual

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [4.50]
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.25]
2013 BMW 328i  [5.00]
Quote:

The only drivetrain mount I didn't change was the tranny mount. I tried it and the noise inside the cabin was too much.
Go check the top nut on the pass side. I've seen more than a few people surprised to see it sheared off.
2000 E36/7 Z3 Steel Blue
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2016, 11:48 PM   #29
Bx Tpr
Captain
Rep
Drives: 23 CSL

Quote:
Originally Posted by italyix
Quote:

From my research, no one makes a 6MT tranny mount replacements, right?
The only e92 m3 transmission mount for either dct or 6mt that I know of and have tried are the Turner motorsports solid aluminum mounts.

I had solid motor/tranny mounts and the noise inside the car was borderline unbearable. I honestly would've left them in but later found out that solid engine mounts could cause damage to the front subframe and almost all the vendors that sold them suggested the subframe be reinforced.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2016, 05:48 PM   #30
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj_dub View Post
I puchased the Vibra Technics engine mounts...they look great! Going to install them next weekend and track on them soon. I'll let you know my initial impressions.
please do report back on how you like them. i might do motor mounts as preventative maintenance soon and would like to tighten up the car as well. not sure if i want too much NVH to achieve it though. these mounts don't seem to come with that disclaimer though, so that leads me to believe they don't bring much noise/vibration.
      05-11-2016, 11:57 PM   #31
dj_dub
IG: @dj_dub
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW E90 M3 - SG/FR 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
please do report back on how you like them. i might do motor mounts as preventative maintenance soon and would like to tighten up the car as well. not sure if i want too much NVH to achieve it though. these mounts don't seem to come with that disclaimer though, so that leads me to believe they don't bring much noise/vibration.
Will do brotha! ...I also am replacing them as preventative maintenance but would also like to tighten up the car without adding too much NVH. From my research and reading some reviews on them, they seem to fit the bill. But I'll let you know if that's true or not...I pick up my car this weekend.
CarboProject CF Plenum | Dinan CF Intake | ESS Tune | RKP X-Pipe | Akra w/CF Tips | MFactory CF DS | CSF Cooling | AST 5200 | Hotchkis F/R Sways | SPL/Ground Control/Fall-Line Arms | DEFIV Diff Brace | StudioRSR Rollcage | 3-piece BBS RT88 | Michelin PS4S | Brembos F/R | Recaro Profi SPG XL | CAE Ultra Shifter | Perf Elec Wheel V2 | BAVSOUND | GT4 CF Front Lip/Canards/Rear Wing | Arkym CF Rear Diffuser | Forcewerkz CF SS | Varis CF Lower Tray | Turner Skidplate | BayOptiks Headlights
Appreciate 2
      05-12-2016, 12:08 AM   #32
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj_dub
Quote:
Will do brotha! ...I also am replacing them as preventative maintenance but would also like to tighten up the car without adding too much NVH. From my research and reading some reviews on them, they seem to fit the bill. But I'll let you know if that's true or not...I pick up my car this weekend.
We're in the same boat! Can't wait to hear about them.
      05-12-2016, 01:28 PM   #33
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

I want to know if there are miracle motor mounts -- much stiffer than fresh stock ones, but none of the nvh that comes with stiffer mounts. Give us the report.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2016, 08:46 PM   #34
dj_dub
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Mobbin View Post
Nice, looking forward to the review!
Quote:
We're in the same boat! Can't wait to hear about them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
I want to know if there are miracle motor mounts -- much stiffer than fresh stock ones, but none of the nvh that comes with stiffer mounts. Give us the report.
Alright...I finally got my car back lastnight after 2 weeks of it being gone and drove it for around 100 miles with the new engine mounts so here's my initial review on them.

Like I stated earlier, I've purchased the Vibra-Technics BMW360M Front Engine Mounts. First time starting the car, I thought I would feel more vibration than stock...well I did, but IMHO it's so little that you will barely notice it...yeah, that little. Definitely streetable/daily driveable engine mounts. Shifting felt significantly smoother than it did before, no more clunkiness between shifts because of the engine moving. Car feels definitely tighter than stock now. As for noise, I can't say that I noticed any increase in that. Overall, I'm very happy with my choice. All my assumptions were correct in purchasing these (thank God! lol)...they look and feel of quality manufactured parts, and they perform as I wanted them to. If you're considering these, buy with confidence.

IMG_1877 by dj_dub, on Flickr

IMG_1878 by dj_dub, on Flickr
CarboProject CF Plenum | Dinan CF Intake | ESS Tune | RKP X-Pipe | Akra w/CF Tips | MFactory CF DS | CSF Cooling | AST 5200 | Hotchkis F/R Sways | SPL/Ground Control/Fall-Line Arms | DEFIV Diff Brace | StudioRSR Rollcage | 3-piece BBS RT88 | Michelin PS4S | Brembos F/R | Recaro Profi SPG XL | CAE Ultra Shifter | Perf Elec Wheel V2 | BAVSOUND | GT4 CF Front Lip/Canards/Rear Wing | Arkym CF Rear Diffuser | Forcewerkz CF SS | Varis CF Lower Tray | Turner Skidplate | BayOptiks Headlights
Appreciate 3
      05-22-2016, 02:12 AM   #35
cenix
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 ZCP

^ Can you at least try to quantify, on a scale of 1-10, the level of increase/harshness from OE motor mounts? 1 = No harshness and 10 = Bone jarring. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2016, 02:51 PM   #36
dj_dub
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by cenix View Post
^ Can you at least try to quantify, on a scale of 1-10, the level of increase/harshness from OE motor mounts? 1 = No harshness and 10 = Bone jarring. Thanks!
On a scale of 1-10 over the stock mounts, I would say around a 2 or 3.
Appreciate 2
      05-22-2016, 02:54 PM   #37
cenix
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 ZCP

That's fantastic, thanks!
Appreciate 1
      05-22-2016, 06:48 PM   #38
bigjae1976
Major General
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 M3 Individual

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [4.50]
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.25]
2013 BMW 328i  [5.00]
Solid or poly motor mounts should be OK for most DD'ing. Its the trans mounts that really start to add a lot of buzzing and vibration.

Quote:
I wonder if that was from before or after the re-design (pic below). From the website: "Proven winner since 2006. This design was updated in 2013 to reflect updates in SCCA rules, which now allow more metal content for a stronger overall assembly."

The problem is not lateral movement but its the twisting force of the engine which pulls upward.

I don't think the extra metal will do crap. Vorhslag is the only brand that I've seen use a top and bottom stud. Everyone else seems to use a bolt through design. Then Vorshlag uses special, hard to find replacement hardware. Instead of running to the hardware store for a new bolt...you need to take a trip to Fastenal or pray that Vorhslag has extras (they rarely do).
2000 E36/7 Z3 Steel Blue
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2016, 01:42 PM   #39
///Mobbin
Colonel
Rep

BimmerWorld Performance/Track Group N engine mounts ordered! A little preemptive maintenance, why not.
      06-02-2016, 01:51 PM   #40
CIFUM3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 M3

Anybody in here heard of revshift? They make all three mounts for our cars engine, trans, and diff.
M colors grill - CF trunk - Sapphire Blue Forgestars F14
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2016, 05:31 PM   #41
WaylonM3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: AW 2008 M3

I have the BW solid motors and trans mounts along with the BW solid race shifter. Best mod on my car thus far. Causes a lot of vibration (especially right after the install) but the whining sounds and noises that comes with this mod is phenomenal. I'd definitely recommend getting the shifter as well.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2016, 09:05 PM   #42
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjae1976 View Post
Solid or poly motor mounts should be OK for most DD'ing. Its the trans mounts that really start to add a lot of buzzing and vibration.

The problem is not lateral movement but its the twisting force of the engine which pulls upward.

I don't think the extra metal will do crap. Vorhslag is the only brand that I've seen use a top and bottom stud. Everyone else seems to use a bolt through design. Then Vorshlag uses special, hard to find replacement hardware. Instead of running to the hardware store for a new bolt...you need to take a trip to Fastenal or pray that Vorhslag has extras (they rarely do).
I have been using Vorshlag mounts for 4 years, the original version, on my turbo 99M3. This car has beem making over 500 rwhp and over 500 lbs rwtq. Best so far is 677 rwhp, 580 lbs rwtw. I drag race it on drag radials
I have fused clutches, twisted driveshafts, and broken a transmission, but never had an issue with the Vorshlag motor mounts. This year, i bought a used set of the new mounts from a member here and gave my old mounts to a guy who is making 700 rwhp.
Appreciate 1
///Mobbin1474.50
      08-31-2016, 11:00 AM   #43
///Mobbin
Colonel
Rep

Finally having my BimmerWorld Performance/Track Group N engine mounts installed today!
      08-31-2016, 04:15 PM   #44
///Mobbin
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Finally having my BimmerWorld Performance/Track Group N engine mounts installed today!
Or not! Unfortunately the bottom bolt broke off from one of the mounts during install and was rusty at the break-point. Bimmerworld would have sent me a new mount out right away but since they are backordered right now I'm getting a refund instead. The old mounts are now being reinstalled. Bummer but better that it broke now than later. Will revisit this purchase at a later date.