BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

BPM

08-12-2020, 11:13 PM   #23
SaNGRia
Major
Rep
Drives: LCI E93 M3 + F85 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinGS View Post
On behalf of all E93 owners, many thanks, Sangria. This thread could save some of us from hours of diagnosis, let alone dealer diagnostic fees.
That was my goal buddy. I share anything i have successfully solved in my car here so anyone can take advantage from my time and energy. I never hide any of my hard work thats why they call me DIYKing Follow on IG : _theblackm3_
Appreciate 2
KevinGS3354.50
      08-13-2020, 11:41 AM   #24
KevinGS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Past 2015 M4, Current 2013 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaNGRia View Post
That was my goal buddy. I share anything i have successfully solved in my car here so anyone can take advantage from my time and energy. I never hide any of my hard work thats why they call me DIYKing Follow on IG : _theblackm3_

Will follow you on IG

Thanks again, for contributing to the E93 community. I seriously appreciate it, as I love my E93 and will likely keep it for years to come, 110,000 miles and counting.
Appreciate 1
SaNGRia984.50
      08-26-2020, 01:00 PM   #25
tchapmannc
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 328i E93

E93 top will not latch in closed position

I have. 2007 E93 Convertible and my top opens fine and stows activating windows and green light in the switch. When I close it, it does latch in place but the switch flashes red and the windows do not work. Took it to dealer and paid for diagnostic. They said $1200 to start replacing parts to figure it out. They tricked it some how to make the windows work and suggested that I use it as a hard top!
I raised the top over weekend and now back to same issue. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks

Last edited by tchapmannc; 08-26-2020 at 02:23 PM.. Reason: Typo
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2020, 11:52 PM   #26
SaNGRia
Major
Rep
Drives: LCI E93 M3 + F85 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by tchapmannc View Post
I have. 2007 E93 Convertible and my top opens fine and stows activating windows and green light in the switch. When I close it, it does latch in place but the switch flashes red and the windows do not work. Took it to dealer and paid for diagnostic. They said $1200 to start replacing parts to figure it out. They tricked it some how to make the windows work and suggested that I use it as a hard top!
I raised the top over weekend and now back to same issue. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks
Did you try to aligned the top like its mentioned on my guidance?
, F85 ACC Retrofit
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2021, 07:52 AM   #27
Impastokitsch
Private
Rep
Drives: e93 M3

Mine got an unsolved issue

When u press the convertible top switch near your handbrake, window wont roll down and the top start unlocking but prompt u error and stop after unlocking

I have to manually roll down the window from door window switch then (after rolling down all windows), i activate the top convertible switch, it start opening again

After opening, the windows doesnt roll up

Closing - after fully closed, the windows doesnt roll up automatically

I wonder if this is hardware or ctm issues

Should i unscrew the thing as mentioned and let it self align by closing back and then reopen the truck halfway to tighten it and try?
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2021, 06:51 PM   #28
SkippyE93
Rep
Drives: 335i conv

Quote:
Originally Posted by tchapmannc View Post

Thanks
I had the same thing on my 2009. I gave everything a complete lube as recommended in the posted manuals. Closed it a few times with two people giving force to hold it down on the windshield. After a few times it began to lock on its own, windows worked everything was fine.

The only problem that was left was you need to help it out of the trunk. I replaced the back sensor that we are talking about in the thread above and now it won’t lock in the trunk like they said above. I tried loosening the nuts it did not work for me. I really could use a picture of the plastic sensor to the right to see if I’ve placed that on properly I did not pay attention before I took it out and all of the pictures cut that part out. any other suggestions would be appreciated. But see if that works for you.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2021, 08:42 AM   #29
lotexigeus
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 e93 m3

Great thread and documentation. Thanks so much.
Appreciate 1
SaNGRia984.50
      07-07-2021, 06:57 PM   #30
SkippyE93
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotexigeus View Post
Great thread and documentation. Thanks so much.
Locked in trunk solved. So loosening the bolts are letting it position itself apparently did work. The reason it still was not locking was somehow the metal clip that's on the trunk lid that slides next to the switch on the sensor was bent out too far. I sprayed some lithium grease on the clip and close the trunk and when I opened it noticed there were no marks on it so it was not sliding up against the sensor. I bent it in just a little bit and tried it again and the trunk lock on its own.

So now it opens and closes and locks both ways the only issue is it needs a little help coming out of the trunk it cannot come out on its own it collapses and falls back in. As long as I hold it and lift it just a little bit of pressure it closes all the way back to the windshield. I just need to help it out of the trunk and to the point where it lands above the backseats then it continues on its own and locks. Any suggestions on this would be appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2021, 09:27 AM   #31
Chromey
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 09 E93 M3

This was a game changer thread for me, Update it fully worked for me.. Thanks again
Appreciate 1
SaNGRia984.50
      07-14-2021, 11:24 AM   #32
djsilverjohnson
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 E93 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkippyE93 View Post
Locked in trunk solved. So loosening the bolts are letting it position itself apparently did work. The reason it still was not locking was somehow the metal clip that's on the trunk lid that slides next to the switch on the sensor was bent out too far. I sprayed some lithium grease on the clip and close the trunk and when I opened it noticed there were no marks on it so it was not sliding up against the sensor. I bent it in just a little bit and tried it again and the trunk lock on its own.

So now it opens and closes and locks both ways the only issue is it needs a little help coming out of the trunk it cannot come out on its own it collapses and falls back in. As long as I hold it and lift it just a little bit of pressure it closes all the way back to the windshield. I just need to help it out of the trunk and to the point where it lands above the backseats then it continues on its own and locks. Any suggestions on this would be appreciated.
When it closes does it also “drop in” vs ease in? If that’s the case, aren’t there some gas shocks in the assembly to help the top? Perhaps they are worn and need replaced.
Appreciate 1
SaNGRia984.50
      07-14-2021, 08:03 PM   #33
djsilverjohnson
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 E93 M3

I don't know if this is allowed, but in the thread I'm trying to link, last page (28) is pictures of someone changing the gas shocks on the top mechanism.

https://www.bimmerfest.com/threads/k...609222/page-28
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2021, 07:08 PM   #34
SkippyE93
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsilverjohnson View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkippyE93 View Post

When it closes does it also “drop in” vs ease in? If that’s the case, aren’t there some gas shocks in the assembly to help the top? Perhaps they are worn and need replaced.
Thanks for the insight! I have no idea how much the cost is but I'm kind a hoping it's more to do with the hydraulic arms rather than the motor. For the most part it goes in very smoothly once in a while it would come down just a little quick at the very very end. I'm talking like maybe the last 2 inches but lately no it goes in very smoothly and closes.

Thanks for the other link is well I've been going through it and seeing some other things also.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2022, 06:41 PM   #35
TX_Paesan
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 328i Convertible

I lubed up everything and conditioned the seals. I tried the loosen the two locks right behind the headrests technique but it still fails. The switch light goes green for a a few seconds then goes red and I get the top not locked/malfunction message. I guess the trunk lock sensor is messed up. <sigh> <sad>. Tired of trying and thinking about visiting the "Stealer".
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2023, 08:51 PM   #36
johnnymh4
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW E93/328i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by booyakasha1989 View Post
I think im having the same issue except my top is stuck down. I tried running the opening procedure and pressing a little on both sides, and was able to get the top back up once. Then I lubed up all joints and connections, put it back down. Then back up again, and then down, now its down and stuck. How do I get it up out of the trunk? Nothing is moving and it is saying not locked.

Please help!!! I just want to get in there to re-work the torx and try what you did but the top is in the trunk and the trunk wont open.

Thanks!!!
With two people, lift the trunk lid in the top-up motion, one person holding it up. The mechanics then worked for me to lift the lid partially enough so I could access the emergency trunk pop cable and then get into the hydraulic compartment to release the pressure. You can no longer mechanically move the top after this until pressure is restored, but you can move it by hand (still may be a two person lift).
Appreciate 0