BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

10-12-2008, 10:16 PM   #45
skierman64
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92M3-E46M3-E46Wagon-E89Z4-E36

Garage List
1994 325is Race Car  [0.00]
2011 BMW Z4  [0.00]
1998 M3 Coupe  [0.00]
2008 M3 Coupe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by buschy View Post
I think your greedy, and I think that if I was the service mgr and you asked me for a Euro bumper, I would think that the main reason you complained was to get something,,,, like a euro bumper,,, out of it.
take what they are giving you, they are rectifying the problem...

also, if a front plat is state law, where you are, the dealer is obligated to put it on, so he really "legally" did the right thing and you have no grounds for anything.

with that said, I would have been pissed, and I would have asked for a solution, now...
just ask him, if you can pay the difference between the bumpers and get the upgraded one, if not no big deal..
I disagree, the dealer is not the owner of the vehicle and has no legal obligation to mount the license, or ensure that a customer complies with the law. Besides there are many other ways to mount the plate without drilling into the bumper.
      10-14-2008, 01:39 AM   #46
spyderco10
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW E92 M3 6MT

Agreed that the dealer had no right to mount the front license plate. But, uh, if the dealer thought they were doing the right thing and mounted the plate to bring the car into compliance, why would they agree to order you a part (Euro bumper with no reflectors) that is illegal for use in the U.S.??
- John 3:16

Last edited by spyderco10; 10-14-2008 at 02:00 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2008, 01:49 AM   #47
iveman89
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 E93

what is the difference with the euro bumper?
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2008, 02:01 AM   #48
spyderco10
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW E92 M3 6MT

The euro bumper doesn't have the ugly orange reflectors on the sides.
- John 3:16
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2008, 02:32 AM   #49
lilcow
Rep
Drives: M3 DCT

Please tell me what legimate function a front plate serves....other than to make it easy to write parking tickets...think about the waste of resourses from the continued use of two plates...[/QUOTE]

That's easy... keeping our state prisoners busy.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2008, 02:36 AM   #50
spectrumphoto
Just another peanut in the Turd!
United_States
Rep
Drives: g16M850;f30M550;f80M3-ED;e90M3

OMG... The dealer already admitted the error and offered to provide a new bumper. Not what seems to be at issue is weather the OP should ask for a Euro Bumper vs getting the offered US bumper. I feel is that the dealer is obligated for is to get you a new US spec bumper. (apple for an apple).

Now if you want to ask them to see if they are willing to get you a Euro Bumper as a sign of going above and beyond your expectations then thats your perogative, but I'd be very nice about it. Better yet, if you are dead set on a Euro bumper then acknowledge their mistake and simply tell them that you would really like the Euro bumper, so much so that you are willing to pick up part of the dealer cost (like 50%) of the bumper itself if they are willing to get it, paint it, and install it for you at no cost. It would be a win, win situation and not seem like you are unappreciative of their efforts or are digging for a non US spec Mod.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2008, 02:37 AM   #51
lilcow
Rep
Drives: M3 DCT

It also think sadd should take the new bumper and ask to keep the old one drilled with holes so he can switch between them as he drives through different states. Everyone's a winner!
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2008, 11:18 PM   #52
VMM
Rep
Drives: E46 IB M3 ZCP

Wow... really? I guess they are cracking down. My CA confirmed with me while the car was still on the boat to make sure the front license plate. She told me no one ever put's them on. As a matter of fact, none of the cars on the lot have them put on. When I had ordered the e90 M3 for my wife (prior to third pregnancy requiring a car which would hold 3 car seats) my CA again double checked on the license plate. I guess I might have had to sign something then but didn't back in 05. I did get caught speeding between Auburn and Roseville on Hwy 80. CHP guy was cool and just gave me a front plate ticket. Local police were completely satisfied with zip ties and signed it off. Twenty dollar fine... safe for now! Having said all of that, I'd be furious if the drilled a hole in my bumper... plus I've got a clear bra in place as well which would need to be replaced. I've got a skenedesign front mount stashed in the garage in case law enforcement gets draconian. At least the holes will be underneath the bumper were no one can see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laszlo View Post
Here in California if you refuse to mount the front plate "YOU" sign paperwork taking responsibility. Did you sign anything when you purchased the car? If not, then they are responsible until you sign-off.

Last edited by VMM; 10-14-2008 at 11:25 PM.. Reason: additonal info
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2008, 10:08 PM   #53
yala603
Rep
Drives: M3

Hey Sadd
can I ask u which dealership this was??
Just curious since I live in DC area.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2008, 02:53 AM   #54
M2Crew
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Tell your SA the following:

"Thanks for doing the right thing. Can you replace it with BMW Part Number xxxxxxxxx, instead? It's the same bumper without the yellow reflectors. I'd appreciate it."

Simple. Drop the part number in his lap and tell him the difference. If the prices are the same, he will in all likelyhood say, "Yes."
Appreciate 0