BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

BPM

09-09-2012, 11:17 AM   #1
Caspita
Turbo Guru
Rep
Drives: 2011.99 E92 ///M

Track Pad + Rotor Gone After 1 Track Day

So I posted up earlier in the week about properly embedding my pagid pads and was able to do about nine 80-15 consistent stops and then nothing but highway driving to cool them down a bit. On my first session I could tell the pads were still breaking in, but they started to feel great. Sessions 2-4 felt amazing and it seemed like all was going well. Last session of the day 5 laps in, my brakes started feeling a bit faded so I took it easy, next thing I know I get an error message from the car telling me pad wear is at a minimum...so I pull off the track. After cooling down I pull into the garage and realize I have absolutely no pad left on my passenger front, the cross drilled holes are all filled in, and it seems like some metal to metal rubbing definitely occurred from the backing plates.

The track was Homestead, and my cooling down consisted of easily 10+ minutes of driving with no braking. Pads and brake fluid was installed by a professional and not myself. After reading nothing but good things about the longevity of these pads I am curious to know how it is possible that I absolutely obliterated a pair of front pads after one track day? Any input is of course much appreciated.

Casp Media |
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2012, 02:00 PM   #2
Gearhead999s
Major General
Rep
Drives: RR Velar R=Dynamic M2C R1200GS

I have used the RS19's on stock brakes and experienced great wear from the pads on 2 tracks that are considered quite hard on brakes and would have easily got 5-6 days out of the front pads..Even with a good race pad & stock brakes you still have to conscious of overuse and getting the brakes too hot which will result in high wear rates.Maybe you should be looking at your braking technique.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2012, 02:42 PM   #3
VictorH
Major
Rep
Drives: '09 M3

Agree something is not right. I don't want to blame the driver, maybe you have a stuck caliper or something but you should have noticed a decline in brake function. What did the driver's side look like? Keep in mind that endurance racers are going 24 hours on one or sometimes two sets of pads (the Pagid is a well known endurance racing pad), so to wear a front set out in just a few sessions is highly unusual.

I'm just back from Road Atlanta and I got repeated brake fade for the very first time (I have RS-19s, ducted/vented brakes on stock rotors and calipers) and yet, the pad wear on my fronts I'd say is 20% or so (but I only did one day's worth of driving due to a flat and a DE schedule adjusted for club racing).

Last edited by VictorH; 09-09-2012 at 03:03 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2012, 03:20 PM   #4
askjeeves
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 m3/spece30

some additional information i think is relevant but omitted by the OP. only pads that were obliterated were the front passenger side. Others were still good. I'd estimate approx use of 25% of other pads. I'd think this negates bad braking technique being the cause (but i'm no expert).
      09-09-2012, 05:47 PM   #5
Gearhead999s
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by askjeeves View Post
some additional information i think is relevant but omitted by the OP. only pads that were obliterated were the front passenger side. Others were still good. I'd estimate approx use of 25% of other pads. I'd think this negates bad braking technique being the cause (but i'm no expert).
Was he running with his MDM on?.This will put a lot of extra heat into the system and cause uneven pad wear if he is aggressive.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2012, 06:30 PM   #6
askjeeves
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 m3/spece30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead999s
Quote:
Was he running with his MDM on?.This will put a lot of extra heat into the system and cause uneven pad wear if he is aggressive.
Yes running MDM. Would MDM activate individual wheel braking on the inside or outside wheel in a turn (assuming pushing through turns)?
      09-09-2012, 06:43 PM   #7
Gearhead999s
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Yes running MDM. Would MDM activate individual wheel braking on the inside or outside wheel in a turn (assuming pushing through turns)?
Yes it would!I have seen this before on Z06 Vettes when running the competition mode where it wore the pads off the primarily inside front brake and the other side looked almost new.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2012, 10:52 PM   #8
Caspita
Turbo Guru
Rep

As jeeves mentioned it was only on one side, and I was driving with mdm on. I wouldn't say I was driving anymore aggressive then what I normally do out there, and my oem pads have made it easily 2 days out at Homestead with plenty to spare.

Casp Media |
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2012, 06:24 PM   #9
Purplem3pursuit
Rep
Drives: AW/BL E92 M3 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorH View Post
Agree something is not right. I don't want to blame the driver, maybe you have a stuck caliper or something but you should have noticed a decline in brake function. What did the driver's side look like? Keep in mind that endurance racers are going 24 hours on one or sometimes two sets of pads (the Pagid is a well known endurance racing pad), so to wear a front set out in just a few sessions is highly unusual.

I'm just back from Road Atlanta and I got repeated brake fade for the very first time (I have RS-19s, ducted/vented brakes on stock rotors and calipers) and yet, the pad wear on my fronts I'd say is 20% or so (but I only did one day's worth of driving due to a flat and a DE schedule adjusted for club racing).
Just posted in another thread but was at Road Atl this past weekend as well (the Alpine E92 with Orange mirrors in C group).. Ate away my stock front pads and was using MDM... Sounds like MDM may be the problem. I noticed it coming on from time to time and could feel the fade in 10A pretty bad.

Moderator at M3F.c
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2012, 07:02 PM   #10
Caspita
Turbo Guru
Rep

Took off the pads today front driver had about 75% left, front passenger was completely gone...inside and out.

Casp Media |
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2012, 07:21 PM   #11
VictorH
Major
Rep
Drives: '09 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caspita View Post
Took off the pads today front driver had about 75% left, front passenger was completely gone...inside and out.
Wow!
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2012, 11:00 PM   #12
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

yeah thats not right. bad set?

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|apr gt 250 & splitter|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2012, 11:16 PM   #13
Caspita
Turbo Guru
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriszeh View Post
yeah thats not right. bad set?
I called Turner to ask what they thought since I bought the pads from them, and they told me it was either some faulty bushings ( i don't think that's the case since there's only 8k miles on my car), or that my caliper stuck....but not sure that was the case since I would have realized some form of seizing while out on the track. Either way they told me faulty pads is a rarity, let alone 2 of them in one box.

Casp Media |
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2012, 11:26 PM   #14
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

maybe your just a mad man on the track then?

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|apr gt 250 & splitter|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2012, 11:33 PM   #15
Caspita
Turbo Guru
Rep

Quote:
maybe your just a mad man on the track then?
Haaaaaaaaa...I would like to believe that's not necessarily the case considering there was only about 20% wear on the front driver side.

Casp Media |
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2012, 11:45 PM   #16
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

20 percent seems like a lot to use in one day also. like others were saying those pagids last 12hrs in endurance racing on quicker cars then we have but i guess also lighter.

Appreciate 0
      09-11-2012, 07:43 AM   #17
Gearhead999s
Major General
Rep

Quote:
20 percent seems like a lot to use in one day also. like others were saying those pagids last 12hrs in endurance racing on quicker cars then we have but i guess also lighter.
They also have proper brake cooling which one of our issues on our cars.I still say that the differential wear rate is caused by the stability control not any fault of the pads.Once the the pad is overheated the wear rate will increase greatly compared to a pad that is at the proper operating heat range during a session.

Last edited by Gearhead999s; 09-11-2012 at 07:49 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2012, 09:39 AM   #18
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

Probably so gearhead. I still run with mdm on and think I experienced similar thing last time out on my ds2500s. But wear was even side to side for me on the front.

Appreciate 0
      09-11-2012, 10:12 AM   #19
Gearhead999s
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Probably so gearhead. I still run with mdm on and think I experienced similar thing last time out on my ds2500s. But wear was even side to side for me on the front.
I had my MDM reset thanks to a passenger flailing around in the cockpit which turned it on during a session a bit ago and I was wondering why I had so much pad dust on the wheels and a poor pedal after this one session.My rear disc's had pad deposits which normally never happens.I was going fairly smoothly and the MDM was that instrusive that I feel I would never want to have it on while lapping.Rememember that I also run a Stoptech 380/355 BBK.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2012, 09:57 AM   #20
edwinm3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82

Sounds like MDM was killing your brakes. HMS is not a very fast track I don't see how you would wear out your pads

Grigio Telesto M4, 6MT.
Coyote 5.0 F-150
991 GT3
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2012, 11:52 PM   #21
MFKN3
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: supercharged 4.4L stroker E92

prob cracked the pad? it's been known to happen
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2012, 01:23 PM   #22
gsrbri
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 6MT

Which Pagid pad?

The braking program on the MDM should only activate if you are regularly achieving significant yaw in the turns, which isn't a very fast way around the circuit. That said, in my track experience, no way you can blow away a passenger-side pad set, in that short of a time, unless the caliper is hung or the pads are installed improperly. Possibly a set of stock pads at a racetrack that is hard on the brakes might disintegrate, but not racing pads.

Sounds very odd. I have gotten 8 full DE events (4 lapping sessions per event) out of my RS-19 front / RS-7 rears and they are at probably 30% remaining. My approach is typically slow-in/fast-out, so I'm very hard on the brakes. Rarely encounter fade on the two tracks I've run at (Mt. Tremblant and NHMS). I also usually run w/MDM on. Wear is very uniform all-around (four-corners).

Any more info you can provide? -Brian
Appreciate 0