BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

02-28-2022, 12:37 PM   #1
CravingBavaria
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW E92 M3 ZCP

Garage List
2011 BMW E92 M3  [9.67]
Swift Springs and Camber Plates Opinion Wanted

I'm 99% sure going to get Swift springs, mainly to keep close to OEM ride quality, with a decent (but not ridiculous) drop in the front.

With that being said, this is mainly aesthetic, but I wanted input on if camber plates would be a good idea too? I'm all for better handling qualities for canyon runs, etc.

From my limited browsing, I've read Dinan plates paired with Swift works well, and possibly Ground Control being the "best" all around option that isn't fixed like Dinan (but they might make more noise than I would like?)

Also curious if adding camber plates adds back ride height or if it replaces something already there so it's a zero sum difference? I can't find a solid answer on this, and it seems like it might depend on if I go with fixed or adjustable...

TIA
      02-28-2022, 03:16 PM   #2
KanseiDorifto
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 JB/FR E90 M3

Ground Control and Vorshlag are the most popular ones around here. It's up in the air which one is "best". Some people say GC has no NVH and they had a bit with the Vorshlags, others are vice versa. Some people have claimed GC quality tends to be better, others have said the opposite because the Vorshlags have a larger bearing, etc.

The only consistent difference is that GCs are easier to get because Vorshlag tends to be out of stock/backordered. My GC setup has been fantastic for the street. Granted, it's only been a few days, but it's a big improvement over stock. No NVH issues and most of the GC cars in the forum say the same. The race variants will add NVH.

As for the rear ride height, it won't make a difference since camber plates are only fronts.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2022, 06:55 PM   #3
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW E92 M3 Dakar Edition

I can only speak for the Vorshlag and I am very happy with them. A bit of extra firmness when driving normally, no noise. Going over sharp bumps/potholes may produce a light klok sound but not loud and only if you're going faster than you should over a pothole. Definitely daily driveable.

I would also definitely consider an Ohlins R/T setup over stiffer springs if you want performance with ride quality. It's crazy how much mods the Ohlins DFV can take and still keep things comfy. E.g. My car has full monoball/spherical front rear and Vorshlag plates and it is still less harsh than stock EDC and has better body control. It's also less harsh than KW V3 with stock suspension bushings.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2022, 08:29 PM   #4
CravingBavaria
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW E92 M3  [9.67]
Quote:
Originally Posted by KanseiDorifto View Post
Ground Control and Vorshlag are the most popular ones around here. It's up in the air which one is "best". Some people say GC has no NVH and they had a bit with the Vorshlags, others are vice versa. Some people have claimed GC quality tends to be better, others have said the opposite because the Vorshlags have a larger bearing, etc.

The only consistent difference is that GCs are easier to get because Vorshlag tends to be out of stock/backordered. My GC setup has been fantastic for the street. Granted, it's only been a few days, but it's a big improvement over stock. No NVH issues and most of the GC cars in the forum say the same. The race variants will add NVH.

As for the rear ride height, it won't make a difference since camber plates are only fronts.
Thanks for the input. Mainly concerned about front ride height bc of the lip. Was hoping that if the Swift's do make the car a bit too low, I could possibly add some height back with camber plates - but I don't know if that's the case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd View Post
I can only speak for the Vorshlag and I am very happy with them. A bit of extra firmness when driving normally, no noise. Going over sharp bumps/potholes may produce a light klok sound but not loud and only if you're going faster than you should over a pothole. Definitely daily driveable.

I would also definitely consider an Ohlins R/T setup over stiffer springs if you want performance with ride quality. It's crazy how much mods the Ohlins DFV can take and still keep things comfy. E.g. My car has full monoball/spherical front rear and Vorshlag plates and it is still less harsh than stock EDC and has better body control. It's also less harsh than KW V3 with stock suspension bushings.
Thank you. I've looked far and wide with coilover setups, but I want something simple that retains EDC, lowers the front, and is pretty inexpensive. Springs are that answer haha. Appreciate the Vorshlag input, you guys have me torn still though lol.
      03-01-2022, 12:12 AM   #5
KanseiDorifto
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 JB/FR E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CravingBavaria View Post
Thanks for the input. Mainly concerned about front ride height bc of the lip. Was hoping that if the Swift's do make the car a bit too low, I could possibly add some height back with camber plates - but I don't know if that's the case.
Oops, had a brain fart moment and thought that you were asking if it adds height to the back, not adding height back.

I can only speak for the GCs and they raised my height by about 1/4" or so because its slightly taller, so you should get a bit of the height back. IIRC, I've read something in the past where someone measured the stack heights of GC/factory mounts and it was a few mm difference.
Appreciate 1
      03-01-2022, 12:37 AM   #6
CravingBavaria
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW E92 M3  [9.67]
Quote:
Oops, had a brain fart moment and thought that you were asking if it adds height to the back, not adding height back.

I can only speak for the GCs and they raised my height by about 1/4" or so because its slightly taller, so you should get a bit of the height back. IIRC, I've read something in the past where someone measured the stack heights of GC/factory mounts and it was a few mm difference.
Awesome that's great to know. I think I'm going to hold off on the camber plates and see how everything works out with just the springs. At least if it's too low I can add the plates on, with the added bonus of adjustable camber (lol). Backwards, I know...
      03-01-2022, 01:12 AM   #7
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW E92 M3 Dakar Edition

Quote:

Even tho Vorshlag claim no height increase, I saw about 8-10mm height increase going from worn/collapsed stock top mounts vs Vorshlag plates.
Appreciate 2
      03-02-2022, 05:22 AM   #8
Bigtriece
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CravingBavaria View Post
Awesome that's great to know. I think I'm going to hold off on the camber plates and see how everything works out with just the springs. At least if it's too low I can add the plates on, with the added bonus of adjustable camber (lol). Backwards, I know...
Just pull the alignment pins. I've got swift springs on stock EDC with pins removed. Running negative 2 degrees camber.
Appreciate 1