BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

Mporium BMW

11-20-2013, 05:51 PM   #111
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.

Anyone else remember that evo xi hybrid story years ago?
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2013, 05:53 PM   #112
fusionchicken
Captain
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, Z4M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvolutionX View Post
What the heck. Here is mine. Still working on ride height. Just had coilovers installed. May be a little too low since I seemed to hit every rock, no matter how small it appeared to be, on our canyon run last Saturday.
Great looking X! If I were to do the X again it'd be white with black wheels just like yours
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2013, 05:53 PM   #113
fusionchicken
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkim1079 View Post
lol yes that was fun times
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2013, 05:59 PM   #114
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep

i feel like im on socalevo again..where all the homies at?
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2013, 06:21 PM   #115
GotE46M
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Few M cars.

Quote:
i feel like im on socalevo again..where all the homies at?
I still browse Socalevo from time to time.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2013, 10:04 PM   #116
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep

I dont even know if my friends from there are still on there. Dont see any of them at the track neither.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2013, 01:41 PM   #117
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep

Actually the graphite grey and white were common. Maybe apex silver guys moved on to bigger and better things?
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2013, 03:49 PM   #118
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep

An evo meet should be on my calendar soon lol.

Gonna browse socalevo to see all the changes.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2013, 05:07 PM   #119
fusionchicken
Captain
Rep

i'd be down for an evo meet lol, used to hit up the ones in fullerton IIRC
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2013, 04:22 AM   #120
Sapper_M3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3, ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvolutionX
Quote:
Maybe i said it wrong. Not class, moreso quality of build and the engineering. Ppl are taking this the wrong way too much. Lol.

I loved my evo ix and it ripped aprt roads and 95% of the cars out there and surprised many in their superior cars. But i love my m3 that much more. Plus dont want awd anymore, although i did get to big bear faster than most
I'm not taking it personal. Just pointing out that each of us seaks out what we like. So "class" may be something we don't care about. Class is also different to different people. Build quality? If that comes into play we would have to discount everything ever made by America. Lol

Funny thing is I have been waiting for my Evo to rattle. Rattle = race car. 41k miles and it won't rattle except the change in the center.

I think it has been said here before that the M3 is a great compromise between luxury and performance. That's an excellent selling point for some. For me "no compromise" was the selling point.

Point is only that everybody buys a car for their own reason.
In my opinion, the whole "compromise" argument is getting pretty tired.

For me, the M3 isn't a "compromise" between luxury and performance. It offers me all the luxury I want, and all the performance I want. Luxury and performance aren't fighting out a zero-sum game.

Even (and maybe especially) when people start talking comparisons to actual licensed racing performance, the M3--and many other great cars for that matter--isn't a compromise.....because no one actually wants a real racecar as their daily driver.

You talk about enjoying your Evo because "no compromise" appeals to you. Based on the type of "compromise" you were talking about earlier, that's ridiculous. Do you have a passenger seat, rear seats, a sound system, A/C? All of those things are "hurting" your performance. A lot of us need to rethink our definition of "compromise." The Evo is just another road car like the M3, and not only is that ok, it's actually perfect. No compromise. These are street legal cars that we can live everyday with while having incredible amounts of fun.

Life's too short to compromise.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2013, 09:59 AM   #121
Cool Steel
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 ZCP DCT

Buy the EVO,
I guess Im more of a shade tree mechanic than anything else but as you know OP, the EVO has tons of modification upgrades that are fun to do and cost nothing in comparison with the M3s high cost/ low gain options.
On top of that you have a service manual on your car that can be purchased giving you torque specs, assembly and disassembly etc. BMW does not
Once you work on a car you are part of it....the M3 lacks this bond. Im not going to void my warranty for 10 hp and $$$$ on a 65k car....risk versus reward doesn't make sense...
Most people on this forum take their car in and have them modified by a shop....boring.
I owned a Dodge SRT4 that I loved, left my blood on it LOL hard to beat that bond.

Last edited by Cool Steel; 11-23-2013 at 10:11 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2013, 11:34 AM   #122
Sebringjetta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maloney View Post
Wtf? Go back in the hole you came from, troll.
this gave me a good laugh
      11-23-2013, 02:12 PM   #123
Alex07M3
Banned
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, Evo X MR, A4 Allroad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Steel
Buy the EVO,
I guess Im more of a shade tree mechanic than anything else but as you know OP, the EVO has tons of modification upgrades that are fun to do and cost nothing in comparison with the M3s high cost/ low gain options.
On top of that you have a service manual on your car that can be purchased giving you torque specs, assembly and disassembly etc. BMW does not
Once you work on a car you are part of it....the M3 lacks this bond. Im not going to void my warranty for 10 hp and $$$$ on a 65k car....risk versus reward doesn't make sense...
Most people on this forum take their car in and have them modified by a shop....boring.
I owned a Dodge SRT4 that I loved, left my blood on it LOL hard to beat that bond.
I own both cars and I'm not sure I share your view on the M3 mods being much more expensive and less effective! Sure you can choose to buy some expensive parts that wont up your power too much like any catback system, but you can also have some cost effective options like testpipes/tune/drop in filter/pulley or simply bolt-on a VT1 and test pipes like I did and you'll have plenty of hp/$. On the Evo, a part from the tune that gives you a big chunk of power, the rest of the bolt ons are not that cheap considering the gains, specially if you want to play in the M3 power levels. Also you willl need a lot of supporting mods that you won't need in the M3, like boost controller, gauges, clutch, intercooler and all the piping, ect...

In the end, I think that wether you want 400whp or 500whp both cars have some pretty good low cost options that you can intall yourself(I installed the VT1 in my friends driveway, it's not that difficult if you know what you're doing)! The difference with the M3 is that there's nothing in the middle, it's either 400whp or +500whp!
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2013, 10:51 PM   #124
Cool Steel
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 ZCP DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex07M3 View Post
I own both cars and I'm not sure I share your view on the M3 mods being much more expensive and less effective! Sure you can choose to buy some expensive parts that wont up your power too much like any catback system, but you can also have some cost effective options like testpipes/tune/drop in filter/pulley or simply bolt-on a VT1 and test pipes like I did and you'll have plenty of hp/$. On the Evo, a part from the tune that gives you a big chunk of power, the rest of the bolt ons are not that cheap considering the gains, specially if you want to play in the M3 power levels. Also you willl need a lot of supporting mods that you won't need in the M3, like boost controller, gauges, clutch, intercooler and all the piping, ect...

In the end, I think that wether you want 400whp or 500whp both cars have some pretty good low cost options that you can intall yourself(I installed the VT1 in my friends driveway, it's not that difficult if you know what you're doing)! The difference with the M3 is that there's nothing in the middle, it's either 400whp or +500whp!
I guess relative is what I'm talking about, because I installed a centrifugal supercharger, KB boost a pump, larger injectors, meth, and headers etc. and then got it tuned. This moved my Corvette from 430 Hp and after tune it was approx. 700 HP at the crank and it cost me under 9k...I don't think you will see those kinda gains for that price on the M3.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2013, 10:53 PM   #125
Alex07M3
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Steel
Quote:

I guess relative is what I'm talking about, because I installed a centrifugal supercharger, KB boost a pump, larger injectors, meth, and headers etc. and then got it tuned. This moved my Corvette from 430 Hp and after tune it was approx. 700 HP at the crank and it cost me under 9k...I don't think you will see those kinda gains for that price on the M3 so I guess
Yep, but we were comparing M3 to Evo, not M3 to Corvette!
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2013, 10:32 AM   #126
EvolutionX
Rep
Drives: Evolution X

Quote:
I read it may be a 500hp hybrid with about 150hp coming from electricity and running the front wheels. The rumor also stated Mitsu is going after the GTR with it. So maybe Mitsu pulls out a shocker.

Personally I hope they make it like a Prius because I love my X and have a lot of mods and I don't want to be tempted to buy a new car!
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2013, 10:44 AM   #127
EvolutionX
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Steel View Post
I guess relative is what I'm talking about, because I installed a centrifugal supercharger, KB boost a pump, larger injectors, meth, and headers etc. and then got it tuned. This moved my Corvette from 430 Hp and after tune it was approx. 700 HP at the crank and it cost me under 9k...I don't think you will see those kinda gains for that price on the M3.
But for some odd reason American made cars do get the power to the ground. Article after article I read comparing a Vette, mustang, or Camaro to a BMW or other German car, the American car can have 100 more HP and weigh less and is still slower.

Looking at the new vette Vs the Porsche. 460hp vs 400 in the Porsche. Same 1/4 mile time.

GTR VS ZR1. ZR 1 much lighter and has a lot more HP Yet gets viscously RAPED by the GTR.

Roush stage 3 Mustang 575Hp 1/4 mile 12.9. My 400AWHP who will
Spank that

Read the super charged Camaro beat by the M6.

And this is just in a straight line.

Unless I'm missing something, which I could be, American cars are a blackhole of HP. 600 at the crank and by the time it hits the asphalt it's 300.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2013, 10:52 AM   #128
rev9k
Banned
Rep
Drives: e90 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvolutionX View Post
But for some odd reason American made cars do get the power to the ground. Article after article I read comparing a Vette, mustang, or Camaro to a BMW or other German car, the American car can have 100 more HP and weigh less and is still slower.

Looking at the new vette Vs the Porsche. 460hp vs 400 in the Porsche. Same 1/4 mile time.

GTR VS ZR1. ZR 1 much lighter and has a lot more HP Yet gets viscously RAPED by the GTR.

Roush stage 3 Mustang 575Hp 1/4 mile 12.9. My 400AWHP who will
Spank that

Read the super charged Camaro beat by the M6.

And this is just in a straight line.

Unless I'm missing something, which I could be, American cars are a blackhole of HP. 600 at the crank and by the time it hits the asphalt it's 300.

you're comparing an AWD car to RWD cars on street tires

put slicks on the Zr1 and a good driver and it'll leave most of those cars behind
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2013, 10:53 AM   #129
EvolutionX
Rep

Well for about 1250 to convert to E85 including tune an Evo will beat an M3.

I have E85, exhaust with cat delete and a 3" intercooler (doesn't really add HP but helps not to lose it) and I'm at 397 HP at the Wheels and 371tq. And it was tuned there on purpose, tuner could have gotten it over 400 but that's when it gets dangerous for the rods.

If you figure about 20% driveline loss, it puts me at about 476 at the crank.

I haven't priced M3 parts so I'm unsure what it costs you guys to add about 150 hp.

What is needed on the M3 to get that?

Quote:

Appreciate 0
      11-26-2013, 10:56 AM   #130
EvolutionX
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusionchicken View Post
Great looking X! If I were to do the X again it'd be white with black wheels just like yours
Yea just sucks WW is the color everybody gets.

I may have posted this before but if you guys in So. Cal are interested in a meet or going to the canyons, PM me your Facebook and I'll invite you to the group.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2013, 11:02 AM   #131
Alex07M3
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvolutionX
Well for about 1250 to convert to E85 including tune an Evo will beat an M3.

I have E85, exhaust with cat delete and a 3" intercooler (doesn't really add HP but helps not to lose it) and I'm at 397 HP at the Wheels and 371tq. And it was tuned there on purpose, tuner could have gotten it over 400 but that's when it gets dangerous for the rods.

If you figure about 20% driveline loss, it puts me at about 476 at the crank.

I haven't priced M3 parts so I'm unsure what it costs you guys to add about 150 hp.

What is needed on the M3 to get that?

Quote:

It cost 8k to pass from ~350whp to ~500whp with the supercharger kit that I have! Probably around the same cost as bringing our Evo to 400whp if you want a safe set-up with a clutch that can handel the power!
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2013, 11:12 AM   #132
rev9k
Banned
Rep
Drives: e90 m3

Quote:
It cost 8k to pass from ~350whp to ~500whp with the supercharger kit that I have! Probably around the same cost as bringing our Evo to 400whp if you want a safe set-up with a clutch that can handel the power!

my Evo in 2006 had under 2k worth of parts making just under 400 hp and ran 12.2 @ 112 mph.

You can't compare modding a cheap turbo car to the ridiculously overpriced (i.e. 2k mufflers) BMW M cars
Appreciate 0