BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Mporium BMW

09-08-2011, 04:16 PM   #1
heart_doctor
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

E92 M3

Hello all,

I am relatively new to the M3 world. I purchased my M3 this past march and it was spur of the moment decision. One of my partners (at work) is a car nut, he has had about 5 different sports cars in the last 4 years, the most recent of which is the Nissan GTR. I had been talking about getting a new car for a few years (drove a corolla before the M3) and finally he got tired of talking about it and he took me to the dealership to test drive the M3. I drove two versions, a ZCP with DCT and a non-ZCP with 6MT. I liked the manual transmission better and a few days later purchased the car.

Since then I have been reading a lot about the M3, and reading everyones posts and I have some regrets. If I were to buy the car now with what I know I would have made some different choices. My current M3 is a non-EDC non-ZCP that has every other option (premium package, extended leather, upgraded audio, etc). It also has the upgraded 19" wheels and moonroof.

I use it primarily as my daily driver, back and forth to work. I have not tracked the car.

If I were to order the car today I would have gotten the ZCP package, and I would have gotten the carbon fiber roof instead of the moonroof (I like how it looks and I never open the moonroof). I like the extended leather, but I don't think the premium audio is worth it, and I never use the navigation system. I love driving the car and deep down inside I know that I wouldn't notice the difference if I were to order a new one.

I have seriously debated trading in the car for a new one special ordered to my likings, or just saving the money and buy the next iteration of the M3 when it comes out .... I am definitely hooked and I am an M guy through and through...

What do you think I should do?
      09-08-2011, 04:23 PM   #2
AddictedToBavarian
My other ride is a Bianchi Infinito
Portugal
Rep
Drives: Miss my E92 but love my E46 M3

If you're always going to have that regret in the back of your mind and money isn't an issue go for it.

or

Be happy with what you have. We tend to lose sight of things and always want what we can't/don't have.

I'd keep the car if I were you.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2011, 04:24 PM   #3
Cyrax91
YNWA
United_States
Rep
Drives: Imola Red F80 M3

Well if you're a heart doctor im guessing you can afford to take a bit of a hit and trade up ? If so i would order an e92 M3 now just the way you want it and keep it forever. Its an epic car and the last of the high reving V8 engine on the M3. I know I have mine just the way I want it and wont be getting rid of it.
      09-08-2011, 04:36 PM   #4
jjw2331
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 JtBlk e92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by heart_doctor View Post
Hello all,

I am relatively new to the M3 world. I purchased my M3 this past march and it was spur of the moment decision. One of my partners (at work) is a car nut, he has had about 5 different sports cars in the last 4 years, the most recent of which is the Nissan GTR. I had been talking about getting a new car for a few years (drove a corolla before the M3) and finally he got tired of talking about it and he took me to the dealership to test drive the M3. I drove two versions, a ZCP with DCT and a non-ZCP with 6MT. I liked the manual transmission better and a few days later purchased the car.

Since then I have been reading a lot about the M3, and reading everyones posts and I have some regrets. If I were to buy the car now with what I know I would have made some different choices. My current M3 is a non-EDC non-ZCP that has every other option (premium package, extended leather, upgraded audio, etc). It also has the upgraded 19" wheels and moonroof.

I use it primarily as my daily driver, back and forth to work. I have not tracked the car.

If I were to order the car today I would have gotten the ZCP package, and I would have gotten the carbon fiber roof instead of the moonroof (I like how it looks and I never open the moonroof). I like the extended leather, but I don't think the premium audio is worth it, and I never use the navigation system. I love driving the car and deep down inside I know that I wouldn't notice the difference if I were to order a new one.

I have seriously debated trading in the car for a new one special ordered to my likings, or just saving the money and buy the next iteration of the M3 when it comes out .... I am definitely hooked and I am an M guy through and through...

This is a tough decision. I have the ZCP package. While I mainly got it for the wheels, the EDC option came with it. To be honest, EDC is not worth trading your car. The differences in the settings are not worth the amount of money you will have to give up for it alone.

I have a moonroof also on my e92. I do use it every now and then. But there are days I wish I got the CF roof. However, my car is black which makes it a little bit easier to forget about the roof since CF doesn't really standout with black. On a white car, the CF roof gives it a very nice look. So on a white car, it's something you want to get.

From the list of options you want to change, it seems like the car will cost pretty much the same as your current car. If exchanging your car makes you happier, do it. You're gonna lose money, fact. Just decide if the exchange will make you happy. From your user name, it sounds like you're a doctor. You must have enough things occupying your mind. It can be a stressful job. So just exchange the car and be done with it. Since you have more than two things you want to change, it might be worth it.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2011, 04:44 PM   #5
Lorde
Ya ya ya, I am Lorde, ya ya!
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, 2015 SQ5

Garage List
2008 BMW M3 E90  [0.00]
Buyer's remorse. It will ALWAYS be there. Just enjoy the car.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2011, 04:57 PM   #6
Foodle
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 E90 M3

Wait for the F80?

Or get one of the last E9x M3's (NA engine FTW!) with individual custom exterior and interior color. That should make the switch feel worth it.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2011, 05:09 PM   #7
disapr
drop a gear and...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 M3

Sell the car and either order a new M3 just the way that you want it or buy a GTR (Don't forget to research before even test-driving though)

You have expressed disdain towards your M3 in at least one other thread and I really think that it's going to eat at you and take away from the joy that these cars can bring.

Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2011, 05:20 PM   #8
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
Quote:
Hello all,

I think you should drive what you like, to this end my recommendation to you would be check if you can find the 2011 in the configuration you like, there are still quite a few 2011 at dealers out there. Then sell yours and get a plane ticket and pick up the car that you long for ... that is all short and sweet ... you be happy you did in the end since it will be your daily driver and you be thinking about it day in and out if you don't ... so as they say "Just Do It"

BTW ... this link might answer some of your concerns too (you may have seen it already) --->CLICK to Open it

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found

Last edited by Mr. ///M3 RD; 09-08-2011 at 06:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2011, 05:34 PM   #9
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

Quote:
Well, only you can make that decision, but other than assuming money is not an issue, especially being a doctor and driving a Corolla prior (you can forgive yourself for a little 'boo-boo' ), AND that driving the latest and greatest is not your inclination (that's rare in your income bracket...and I applaud it ), here's how I'd approach it:

-What's the main reason you like driving your current M3? If it's the unique sound of the NA V8 engine, which WILL NO LONGER be available on an M3 (probably ever), I'd definitely splurge with a new one exactly the way you want. And yes, we all know it's not a financially justifiable transaction, but having tortured yourself with a Corolla when you could have driven a Ferrari, it's a justifiable move .

If you don't care about the engine characteristics, the truth is the new car will probably do everything else better. It should have a manual transmission (probably an improved one), about the same driving position and controls, at least equal driving dynamics, but definitely more power, and more torque and down low due to turbos. The problem is I'd definitely avoid buying the first year, especially under the current global economic conditions (tons of potential problems and recalls), so you're still looking at 2 years from now.

Bottom line, GET A NEW CAR NOW . Then in 2 to 3 years, after the new car is one year old, decide if you want to keep it or treat yourself to a new one (or some other car) after saving many more folks from eating too many Big Macs . Good luck with your decision, and keep us posted.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2011, 06:55 PM   #10
desertfox73
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 F83 / 2018 F85

Quote:
Originally Posted by elp_jc View Post
Bottom line, GET A NEW CAR NOW. Then in 2 to 3 years, after the new car is one year old, decide if you want to keep it or treat yourself to a new one (or some other car) after saving many more folks from eating too many Big Macs
The rest of your comment seems valid, but I don't understand this math. If he gets a new car now, how can it only be one year old in 2 to 3 years?

"Let's do the time warp again..."
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2011, 06:59 PM   #11
Reid
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: white cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertfox73 View Post
The rest of your comment seems valid, but I don't understand this math. If he gets a new car now, how can it only be one year old in 2 to 3 years?

"Let's do the time warp again..."
He's referring to buying the second year of the new generation of the M car.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2011, 07:05 PM   #12
desertfox73
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 F83 / 2018 F85

Thanks - I guess I didn't quite get the difference between "A new car" and THE new car". The demonstrative pronouns were getting confusing...to me.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2011, 07:47 PM   #13
taylorcoleman
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

Since you came from a Corolla I'd test drive:

S5
C63
997 C2S
New BMW 550
E63

And that's just week 1.

Why limit yourself to the M3?
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2011, 08:11 PM   #14
JulieDriving
Female driving enthusiast :P
Rep
Drives: Bimmer

Garage List
Hey, I think there's another heart doctor on this forum, I think his username is heart_MD or something.

Anyways, you have the income to decide what you want and to have it when you want. However being a doctor doesn't mean you like to lose money either. I was told I wasn't your "typical" doctor either when I was tooling around in my rusty 'ol Nissan Sentra.

I'll be flipping my (relatively new) 335i for an M3 before production ends, which I think is a total waste of money. But I also have regret about my 335i purchase, although it has been the perfect car to date.

And I love this generation M3. Especially with the ZCP wheels. And coincidentally I'll be getting mine without the navigation "bump" as well (even though almost everyone here has it or feels it's a must have on such a car). I would love to keep it for as long as it'll last. Thus, I'll make the switch because of that. If I was planning on trading it in for the new M3/M4, I'd wait. But I'm thinking of picking up the new M3 towards the end of its cycle to go along with the last V8. So it won't be a choice of "one or the other".
      09-08-2011, 08:43 PM   #15
Denk
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5M

Personally, I don't think you're missing anything not going the ZCP route...unless you like the mesh wheels better. I love the 220m's! I do feel you on the CF roof. I purposefully chose a non-EDC/ZCP myself. Maybe with a few tweaks you'd be totally satisfied with your current M3?
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2011, 09:50 PM   #16
rye m3
Lieutenant
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 E92 M3

Buy some aftermarket wheels and keep your car. As long it is not a DCT vs. 6 spd issue, it's a waste of time and money. Also, I couldn't figure out the years from the other posts, but the new M3 won't be around until 2014 at the earliest add another year to that and you're at least 3 model years from now.
Of flip the car and get a 997 C2S in the meantime. You may never come back to the M3!

2007 997S - sold
2003 E46 M3 Steel Grey on Red- sold
1997 E36 M3 Arctic Silver on Black- sold
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2011, 11:08 PM   #17
kpneverdies
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW M3 E92 2010

do what your HEART tells you to do............
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2011, 12:51 AM   #18
spyderco10
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW E92 M3 6MT

keep it, you've got bigger fish to fry.
- John 3:16
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2011, 06:13 AM   #19
Stronghammer
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Declining reimbursement. Rising malpractice costs. Obama care. Medicare cuts. Sell your M and get a skateboard
Mods: ESS VT1, MS test pipes, 19 BBS CH-R, Eibach pro springs, Painted reflectors, carbon fiber grills, Painted side markers with dark tinted lenses, 30% tint, Arkym rear diffuser, Innotech axle back exhaust, Performance spoiler
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2011, 09:21 AM   #20
heart_doctor
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhird View Post
Declining reimbursement. Rising malpractice costs. Obama care. Medicare cuts. Sell your M and get a skateboard
Yep ... True, very true .....

Should have stuck with the corolla!
      09-10-2011, 02:08 PM   #21
CBS
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10535, E90M3, E30M3, E28M5

Garage List
2017 Alpina B6 GC  [0.00]
2014 535xi M Sport  [0.00]
2014 X3 3.5 M Sport  [0.00]
2011 M3 E90  [9.74]
2007 Z4 M Coupe  [7.00]
1990 M3  [9.50]
1988 M5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpneverdies View Post
do what your HEART tells you to do............
This!

Life is short, work is hard.
If you can afford it, do what makes you happy!

ESS VT-1 550 | M24 Oil Cooler | Fall Line Half Cage | RaceTech 4009W | 6 pt Harness | Lifeline Zero 360 Fire Suppression | Rear Seat Delete | Motion Control DA Dampers w/remote reservoirs | 900/650 Hyperco Springs | RD Sport Sway Bars | Brembo 380 BBK | GC Camber Plates | Hoosier R7 | Eisenmann Sport | Stack Gauges | Painted Challenge Front Lip | Painted ZCP Rear Spoiler | Xpel Ultimate Film | LuxAngelEyes
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2011, 02:16 PM   #22
Kayani_1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW E92/E60

If I was you I would enjoy my car as it is. It is still an M3 and 1000000 times better then Corolla.

No need to trade it in and take a huge loss. Just wait for the new M3 it will out and here very soon. Then you can order yourself a custom built brand new M3. That would make more sense then taking a loss on your current M3.
nickname"BAD 3",MHD E85 tune,RennArt catback non-resonated exhaust,VRSF Downpipes, VRSF 7"FMIC,VRSF stock side inlets,SSQV BOV,ECS CP,M-performance alcantara steering,retrofit M3 paddle shifters,Alpina B3 tranny flash,AFE power seal CAI,LED angels,ST Coilovers,M3 upper/lower control arms,E93 M3 Front Swaybar ,235/35/19x9 ,275/30/19x9.5. M sport bumpers, CF diffuser. When in doubt..flat out.
Appreciate 0