BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

European Auto Source (EAS)

08-19-2018, 10:30 PM   #23
Spun Crankhub
Major General
Rep
Drives: 15 F82 *SOLD*

Quote:
Originally Posted by panda-R View Post
Chill out.
You chill out, hoser. Go grab a Labat Blue and relax bud.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2018, 10:56 PM   #24
panda-R
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoChris View Post
You chill out, hoser. Go grab a Labat Blue and relax bud.
Are you done feeling special?
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2018, 12:10 AM   #25
bosse92m3
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Hey guys, thanks to everyone for the comments, I have read them all and will be posting a video of it with the hood open and different angles in the next couple hours.

Did drive it briefly today and the sound seemed to be intermittent. Sometimes I could hear it and other times it was really quiet (what I would call normal noise).

While driving it seems to disappear but that could be due to the fact that the exhaust over powers it.
On idle it was there around 50 percent of the time.

If it was bearing related I feel like it would be there all the time but I m no expert.
Will have video up shortly...
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2018, 07:47 AM   #26
deansbimmer
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: 2011 E93 M3

Garage List
1988 BMW M3  [0.00]
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
2011 X5M  [0.00]
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
These engines are noisy, and each S65 sounds slightly different to boot. It's far too easy to get caught up in paranoia. You've replaced the bearings so just drive it and stop worrying.
Appreciate 1
      08-20-2018, 08:04 AM   #27
bosse92m3
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

As promised here's a video of the car with the bonnet open.

The video starts with cold start but i ve just put that in there as an extra, I know cold starts make all sorts of noises.
All videos after that the car has been driven and is up to temp.
From the engine bay the sound is not very loud, but you can definitely hear it when you listen form the front wheels.

Appreciate 0
      08-20-2018, 08:40 AM   #28
M3LISSA
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 COMP/SOLD

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosse92m3 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3LISSA View Post
Quote:
Hey guys have had my rod bearings done about 500km ago and has been fine so far,
But today I could hear a noise on idle, can't work out what it is exactly.
I have posted a video of it below, any feedback would be great.
Thanks
Interesting, call me crazy, but I thought I heard a similar sound on my car.... now I want to know. My car runs perfect, no issues, bearings were done preventively at 79k (and were not bad at all). I also just had my primary cats welded back on.....(nyc) inspection :
Hahah this one has me baffled, is yours a 6mt?
I was thinking possibly clutch or flywheel but the noise doesn't go away when I push clutch in.
Also probably should mention the car was sitting for about 2 weeks before I took it for a drive and heard this noise
I am not manual. It's weird cause I think I only sort of hear it in my garage when the walls are close to me, not necessarily outside... maybe I'm paranoid.

2011 E90 M3 Competition // Alpine White // ESS // RPI // 20" BBS LM's, blah blah

2021 G80 M3 Competition // Brooklyn Grey // KW Suspension // 12mm Spacers all around // Resonator Delete
Appreciate 1
      08-20-2018, 08:44 AM   #29
shmad
Private
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 M3 6MT

Garage List
2008 m3  [0.00]
that sounds like exhaust leak to me
      08-20-2018, 09:06 AM   #30
bosse92m3
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Hey guys have had my rod bearings done about 500km ago and has been fine so far,
Thanks
Interesting, call me crazy, but I thought I heard a similar sound on my car.... now I want to know. My car runs perfect, no issues, bearings were done preventively at 79k (and were not bad at all). I also just had my primary cats welded back on.....(nyc) inspection :
I was thinking possibly clutch or flywheel but the noise doesn't go away when I push clutch in.
Also probably should mention the car was sitting for about 2 weeks before I took it for a drive and heard this noise
I am not manual. It's weird cause I think I only sort of hear it in my garage when the walls are close to me, not necessarily outside... maybe I'm paranoid.
I hear it louder too when in closer spaces, but I don't think your paranoid. The noise is there!
But from all the reading up on it and from what a lot of people have said here, it s nothing to really worry about!
That being said i still would like to find out what it is as it was definitely not there before...
Appreciate 1
M3LISSA786.00
      08-20-2018, 09:07 AM   #31
bosse92m3
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmad View Post
that sounds like exhaust leak to me
Hopefully, but would and exhaust leak come and go or is it consistent? Cheers
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2018, 09:23 AM   #32
shmad
Private
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 M3 6MT

Garage List
2008 m3  [0.00]
Quote:
from the first video i cant tell, but the second video sounds like a leak. the sound would be consistent but you might not hear it higher in the RPM bc of engine noise/muffler exhaust noise.
      08-21-2018, 12:34 AM   #33
Bartledoo
Driver
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
The seal at each joint can improve due to thermal expansion, and vice versa. Worth checking since you can easily get under there with the engine running.
Appreciate 1
      08-22-2018, 09:12 AM   #34
M3LISSA
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Thanks
I hear it louder too when in closer spaces, but I don't think your paranoid. The noise is there!
But from all the reading up on it and from what a lot of people have said here, it s nothing to really worry about!
That being said i still would like to find out what it is as it was definitely not there before...
Agreed. Nothing major so that helps calm me. I do want to check the exhaust leak issue. My gut instinct tells me this is probably the issue... I don't know how to figure that out though being that I'm not actually under the car(nor do I want to be) lol

2011 E90 M3 Competition // Alpine White // ESS // RPI // 20" BBS LM's, blah blah

2021 G80 M3 Competition // Brooklyn Grey // KW Suspension // 12mm Spacers all around // Resonator Delete
Appreciate 2
      08-22-2018, 09:19 AM   #35
bosse92m3
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Thanks
Agreed. Nothing major so that helps calm me. I do want to check the exhaust leak issue. My gut instinct tells me this is probably the issue... I don't know how to figure that out though being that I'm not actually under the car(nor do I want to be) lol
I m leaning toward that too, have had s few people say it and it does sound like a leak. Hahah get someone else under there, I m thinking of just going to my local shop and getting them to lift it and look. I ll keep u updated
Appreciate 1
M3LISSA786.00
      08-22-2018, 05:13 PM   #36
M3LISSA
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Thanks
I m leaning toward that too, have had s few people say it and it does sound like a leak. Hahah get someone else under there, I m thinking of just going to my local shop and getting them to lift it and look. I ll keep u updated
Ok. Feel free to dm me. Idk when I can get under the car. I have jack stands and ramps, but I get the heebeegeebys when I go under a car... I can do anything else.. lol

Appreciate 2
      08-23-2018, 02:11 AM   #37
Bartledoo
Driver
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Ok. Feel free to dm me. Idk when I can get under the car. I have jack stands and ramps, but I get the heebeegeebys when I go under a car... I can do anything else.. lol
Just drive one side up onto a curb and slide under. No reason to feel unsafe in that scenario.
Appreciate 1
M3LISSA786.00
      08-23-2018, 09:24 PM   #38
M3LISSA
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartledoo View Post
Quote:
Just drive one side up onto a curb and slide under. No reason to feel unsafe in that scenario.
Lmao

Appreciate 1
      08-25-2018, 06:55 AM   #39
Dave07997S
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 Ford Mustang GT

Quote:

Exhaust leaks can be intermittent, depending on the severity of the leak. As the exhaust heats up it expands and can help seal the leak. Once again depending on the severity. This is especially true at the header to lead pipe.

Dave
2004 BMW M3 Imola/Blk
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2018, 08:41 AM   #40
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep
Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II

Quote:
No pain ...No gain !

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2018, 08:36 PM   #41
bosse92m3
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave07997S View Post
Quote:

Exhaust leaks can be intermittent, depending on the severity of the leak. As the exhaust heats up it expands and can help seal the leak. Once again depending on the severity. This is especially true at the header to lead pipe.

Dave
Thanks Dave makes sense!!
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2018, 08:59 PM   #42
Ximian
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
2021 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
What about sinkholes!?

bosse92m3 As for the noise, what oil are you using? I'm assuming it's brand new after the RB change.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2018, 10:14 PM   #43
Cbozz
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Garage List
sounds just normal
      08-25-2018, 11:25 PM   #44
bosse92m3
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ximian View Post
Quote:
What about sinkholes!?

bosse92m3 As for the noise, what oil are you using? I'm assuming it's brand new after the RB change.
Shop that did bearings used normal castrol 10w-60. Yes fresh oil after changing them
Appreciate 0