BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

01-17-2012, 03:43 AM   #1
roycemek
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Best Camber Plates, Thoughts?

I was hoping to get some opinions on camber plates for my E9x M3 and see what good options are out there. I've seen pics and reviews of the Ground Control plates and so far those are high up on my list. Actually for choices it doesn't seem that there are many others. I know the Dinans are non adjustable or fixed offset so those are out. I haven't heard to much or seen any pics of the vorshlag camber plates. The KW camber plates that I've seen that come with the KW setups look really well made but are they avaliable separately and do they work with other setups like Moton? Lastly in terms of design I really like the Turner Motorsports camber plates, specifically these,

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-43...m3-street.aspx

But as far as I can tell they only make them for the E46 M3's. Does anyone know if they make them for the E9x M3's? I really like how they used a radial bearing to control the motion and load rather than a spherical ball. I'm not opposed to a spherical ball design just though the radial bearing design looks interesting from a managing load standpoint.

Thanks for the input,
Royce M
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-17-2012, 06:27 AM   #2
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3,G20 330ix,F22 240iX,F82

Yes, the KW camber plate will work with Moton dampers. However, you may have to file down the length of the sleeved bushing/nut depending on which Moton damper you are using.

As far as I know, Turner doesn't make a street camber/caster plate that fits on a e9x M3. At one point I had used the Turner street plate on my e46 M3 - ok for street use (works with stock-style spring) but I'd switch to their race camber/caster plate for track use (spherical bearing instead of bushing). I actually switched to the GC race camber/caster plate.

The GC e9x M3 camber plate uses a bushing that's similar to Turner's e46 M3 plate; however, you can get an upper spring mount that works with stock-style, 60 mm or 2.5" springs. I'm using their plate with 60 mm springs.

TC Kline and Vorshlag both make camber/caster plates for the e9x M3 but I believe their designs only work with 60 mm, 2" or 2.5" springs.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2012, 07:05 AM   #3
dawgdog
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3, 2016 GT3

I have been happy with my Vorshlag camber plates. No noise.
Attached Images

01-17-2012, 02:23 PM   #4
STALKER
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3, Golf R

Can you put up with the increased NVH that go along with race plates? If not then you will be happy with the GC or Vorshlag units.
I'm personally going to be using GC street plates on my JRZ set up.
      01-18-2012, 02:49 PM   #5
VSmotorsports
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

Ground control camber plates are what we use on all our BMW applications and so far all of our customers liked then or had no complaints.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2012, 03:11 PM   #6
tibra1
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 ZCP M3 - 2007 335i crashd

Vorschlags are top notch..
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2012, 03:56 PM   #7
FrenchBoy
Lieutenant Colonel
France
Rep
Drives: '16 F80 M3

I have the GC plates that come with the sleeve-over-stock shocks coilover kit and I have been extremely happy with both plates and kit.

Current: 2016 F80 M3 6-Speed | SO | AB XT1 | ZCP | M Performance Suspension | GC Camber Plates
Previous: 2009 E90 M3
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2012, 02:55 PM   #8
roycemek
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Thanks for all the input guys. I'm glad there is a decent selection of camber plates out there. One other thing I was thinking about with regards to camber plate adjustments is if there is any castor adjustments. I guess going back to the Turner plates for the E46 there are sliders in the camber and castor directions. This is really nice. I noticed that the Ground Control plates are only camber adjustable but the Vorshlag plates have selectable bolt holes to adjust castor and a slider for camber. I'm wondering if the KW plates have any provisions for castor adjustment. Maybe that is the reason for the numbers around the perimeter of the camber plates??

Thanks,
Royce M

Here are some good images I found from other posts:

Appreciate 0
      01-22-2012, 04:35 PM   #9
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by roycemek View Post
Thanks for all the input guys. I'm glad there is a decent selection of camber plates out there. One other thing I was thinking about with regards to camber plate adjustments is if there is any castor adjustments. I guess going back to the Turner plates for the E46 there are sliders in the camber and castor directions. This is really nice. I noticed that the Ground Control plates are only camber adjustable but the Vorshlag plates have selectable bolt holes to adjust castor and a slider for camber. I'm wondering if the KW plates have any provisions for castor adjustment. Maybe that is the reason for the numbers around the perimeter of the camber plates??

Thanks,
Royce M
The KW plate has only camber adjustment.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2012, 04:36 PM   #10
RickyBobby
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3

I've got over a year on my Vorshlags with no noise or problems. Like you said, they have holes for castor adjustment, but I don't feel like the e90 needs any castor changes.
If you're buying camber plates for the Moton SS, be sure to buy from someone who understands the stack needs due to the shortness of the shocks.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2012, 12:51 AM   #11
kaiv
IG: limited.slip
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 in a 325i Touring body!

I just installed the GC street plates on my KW V3s.

http://www.ground-control-store.com/.../II=886/CA=287

So here are my impressions:

First of all I wanted/needed a setup that fits stock sized springs. These do.

Also, I absolutely want to retain a quiet and comfy ride. Those plates don't use a spherical "race" bearing, and you also reuse the stock rubber spring pad. GC assured me the plates are quiet and they are.

Added bonus, from what I can tell (someone correct me if I'm wrong) the bearing insert is oem which means it's cheap/easy to replace if they ever go bad.

I did have an issue however, one stud broke as I was tightening it. It wasn't even tight yet, it just snapped. I called GC and they sent replacement parts right away. Great customer service.

I might be going off topic by now but GC picks up the phone every time. I couldn't get someone to pick up at TC Kline if my life depended on it.

Anyways, very happy with my GC plates so far.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2012, 07:02 PM   #12
Justin(OKC)
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1988 M3, 1990 M3, 1998 M3/4

Garage List
1998 BMW M3/4  [10.00]
2011 BMW M3 Sedan  [9.28]
1988 BMW M3  [9.40]
1990 BMW M3  [10.00]
2008 BMW 135i - sold  [0.00]
2003 BMW M3 - sold  [0.00]
Since TCK's were mentioned above, my experience with the E36 plates is that they get noisy quickly and need new bearings often.

On my Vorshlag plates, I've had them for 2.5 years with ~25k miles (15k on 135i and 10k on M3) and they are just as quiet as when I installed them the first time. The bearing is very robust and reviews have always been stellar on these plates. My only wish is that I had waited a bit longer and gotten the aluminum version which is anodized red. I just like the red look.
2011 BMW 328i racecar - LeMans Blue/Black
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2012, 07:55 PM   #13
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin(OKC) View Post
Since TCK's were mentioned above, my experience with the E36 plates is that they get noisy quickly and need new bearings often.
That was me that listed the TCK plates as an option for the e9x M3

I've heard about similar problems with their plates (I think the design is essentially the same on the e9x) and that's why I went with GC plates on my TCK setup.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2012, 01:19 PM   #14
fatboy318
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 m3 4dr, 2009 gtr

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiv View Post
I just installed the GC street plates on my KW V3s.

http://www.ground-control-store.com/.../II=886/CA=287

So here are my impressions:

First of all I wanted/needed a setup that fits stock sized springs. These do.

Also, I absolutely want to retain a quiet and comfy ride. Those plates don't use a spherical "race" bearing, and you also reuse the stock rubber spring pad. GC assured me the plates are quiet and they are.

Added bonus, from what I can tell (someone correct me if I'm wrong) the bearing insert is oem which means it's cheap/easy to replace if they ever go bad.

I did have an issue however, one stud broke as I was tightening it. It wasn't even tight yet, it just snapped. I called GC and they sent replacement parts right away. Great customer service.

I might be going off topic by now but GC picks up the phone every time. I couldn't get someone to pick up at TC Kline if my life depended on it.

Anyways, very happy with my GC plates so far.

thx for the info. this would help me make my decision on the camber plates
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2012, 05:58 PM   #15
modernbeat
Motorsports Engineer
Rep
Drives: Caged

Quote:
On my Vorshlag plates...My only wish is that I had waited a bit longer and gotten the aluminum version which is anodized red. I just like the red look.
Justin, you can get replacement plates if you REALLY want them. Vorshlag sells bare replacement aluminum plates for $65 per side. All the new E90-E82 plates are red anodized aluminum.

There was some other questions about the Vorshlag plates.

The same plate fits the E90 and E82 cars. But, we've only got OEM style perches for the non-M cars. All the non-M cars use a 110mm perch which we modify and fit a huge radial bearing to work with the Vorshlag plates. The 1M and M3 have a very compact top perch similar to Subarus that is very difficult to make an OEM sized top perch without adding stack height. The M cars have to move to a different spring diameter to use our plates.

Here's the plates and perch for the non-M cars.

That plate DOES have adjustable caster. There's three different caster settings adjustable by the four flathead bolts on the top. Then the camber is adjustable by the three bolts that fasten it to the strut tower. They do fit under the tower - which we feel is the only safe way to install a camber plate.
      02-03-2012, 06:36 PM   #16
ModBargains III
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i, 135i, E46 M3, 540i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgdog View Post
I have been happy with my Vorshlag camber plates. No noise.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tibra1 View Post
Vorschlags are top notch..
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyBobby View Post
I've got over a year on my Vorshlags with no noise or problems. Like you said, they have holes for castor adjustment, but I don't feel like the e90 needs any castor changes.
If you're buying camber plates for the Moton SS, be sure to buy from someone who understands the stack needs due to the shortness of the shocks.
Quote:

On my Vorshlag plates, I've had them for 2.5 years with ~25k miles (15k on 135i and 10k on M3) and they are just as quiet as when I installed them the first time. The bearing is very robust and reviews have always been stellar on these plates. My only wish is that I had waited a bit longer and gotten the aluminum version which is anodized red. I just like the red look.
Quote:
Originally Posted by modernbeat View Post
Justin, you can get replacement plates if you REALLY want them. Vorshlag sells bare replacement aluminum plates for $65 per side. All the new E90-E82 plates are red anodized aluminum.

There was some other questions about the Vorshlag plates.

The same plate fits the E90 and E82 cars. But, we've only got OEM style perches for the non-M cars. All the non-M cars use a 110mm perch which we modify and fit a huge radial bearing to work with the Vorshlag plates. The 1M and M3 have a very compact top perch similar to Subarus that is very difficult to make an OEM sized top perch without adding stack height. The M cars have to move to a different spring diameter to use our plates.

Here's the plates and perch for the non-M cars.

That plate DOES have adjustable caster. There's three different caster settings adjustable by the four flathead bolts on the top. Then the camber is adjustable by the three bolts that fasten it to the strut tower. They do fit under the tower - which we feel is the only safe way to install a camber plate.
Vorshlag gets my vote as well. Used these on my E36 back in the day and they were great... Durable/long lasting and adjustments are easy to change as well.
      02-08-2012, 06:48 PM   #17
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:

After 10K miles on the 135i, Vorshlag plates went on the 1M with AST's and they are quiet as well. The bearing is very robust, replacement bearings or bearing holders are rarely sold to replace defective ones.

When you are ready to upgrade to the red plates, let us know.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2012, 11:05 AM   #18
TimeAtk
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Alpine e90 M3

Does anyone know if any of the mentioned plates above will work on the new KW sleeve kits?
      02-10-2012, 12:54 PM   #19
tha_good_life
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 21 X6MC

Garage List
2021 BMW X6MC  [10.00]
2010 BMW M3  [8.68]
I'm getting ready to install the GC on my new KW v3. I hope it will work well.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2012, 12:57 PM   #20
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeAtk View Post
Does anyone know if any of the mentioned plates above will work on the new KW sleeve kits?
The best one out is the TCK sleeve over conversion with TCK plates.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2012, 12:25 PM   #21
TimeAtk
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Alpine e90 M3

I asked because I have KW sleeves, seeing if GC plates would work
      02-12-2012, 12:50 PM   #22
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeAtk View Post
I asked because I have KW sleeves, seeing if GC plates would work
Yes, the GC camber plate should work with the front spring that comes with the KW sleeve-over kit. You should contact GC because they offer a shorter version of their camber plate (not sure if it's shown on their website) which is the one you want to use with your KW kit and lowered ride height.
Appreciate 0