BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition

01-28-2011, 09:53 PM   #1
Unleash The Beast
Huh?
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Need help with working out

Hey guys. I am 18 years old, 5'7" and 145lbs. I started going to the gym starting this month. I want to get lean and cut. For the 4 weeks I have been going to the gym I have lost 5lbs and my biceps have gotten slightly bigger.
I have been doing a lot of random stuff every time I go just to explore. I feel though that I am wasting a lot of my time because I usually go 4 days a week for about 1.5-2 hours and I haven't seen that much results.

So I need your guys help. I need a daily workout routine that I can do to help me lose fat and gain muscle. Like I said, I go to the gym at least 4 days a week and I have really changed my diet. I eat more protein, a lot less sugar and fatty foods. I did a lot of research and I found that everyone has a routine that is specific to their needs, so if you guys can help me out with a work out schedule I would really appreciate it.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2011, 10:12 PM   #2
Thisisdudewhoru
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 BSM 340i

Just keep doing it man. You're not gonna get huge in 1 month. I'm 20 and still have hard time gaining mass. I've slowly gained 15 pounds after 1 1/2 years of working out. I'm guessing you are built just like I was. You'll have a hard time gaining weight just due to super high metabolism.
      01-28-2011, 10:29 PM   #3
Unleash The Beast
Huh?
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thisisdudewhoru View Post
Just keep doing it man. You're not gonna get huge in 1 month. I'm 20 and still have hard time gaining mass. I've slowly gained 15 pounds after 1 1/2 years of working out. I'm guessing you are built just like I was. You'll have a hard time gaining weight just due to super high metabolism.
I don't expect to get anywhere close to huge in one month, I just thought I was doing something wrong because I spent more than 8 hours a week at the gym and wasn't getting results.

My metabolism is not super high. I gain weight really fast if I eat junk. I am actually having a hard time losing weight.

Thanks for the help!
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2011, 10:57 PM   #4
TimZ
Lieutenant
Albania
Rep
Drives: X5M

Well to gain muscle you first need to eat a lot, gain weight, and expect to get some fat while doing it. It's called bulking. After the bulk phase you will go through the cut phase to lose the body fat and get the ripped look. I'm 18 also, 185-190 about 5'10". I work out 3 days a week, Monday Wednesday and Friday. I alternate between the days with a set A and set B workout. On set A I would usually do (5 reps 5 sets each) barbell bench press, squats, and dumbbell flys. I also do french presses/skull crushers and chinups. I would also include pull ups and push ups as a warm up for each day.
Now for set B I would start off again with the push up and pull ups, start the 5x5 routine again with shrugs, deadlifts, rows, and lateral raises.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2011, 01:31 PM   #5
VAlsbM3
AwwwYEA!
United_States
Rep
Drives: DD - e90 325i / Track - E46 M3

P90X my friend.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2011, 02:12 PM   #6
Turbo>NA
xbox gamertag: HuGeBluEmOnKeY
Armenia
Rep
Drives: M-Sport LCI

Pyramid

Set: 1 x 12 Reps
2 x 10 Reps
3 x 8 Reps

or

2-3 workouts for each body part, 12 reps MINIMUM. Clean cut.

Cuting and leaning is 100x harder then bulking to leaning. Get it?

What you want know is very difficult. It is possible and make sure you have a decent diet.

E92 335i alpine white | black dokota | auto | zpp | zsp | heated | iPod
- ltbmw : vorsteiner : linea corsa : h&r : k&n : e92-lighting : expectalot-vinyl -
--GONE--
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2011, 03:56 PM   #7
Simon_135i
Collecting dust!
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2008 E82/135i  [0.00]
Might I suggest some cardio in addition to lifting...
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2011, 04:40 PM   #8
TK-421
Registered Sex Offender
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 | 1JZ S13

When you first start out, you're going to see results no matter how shitty your diet/sleep patterns are because your body isn't used to it. Once your "newbie gains" taper off, you'll really begin to see if you're doing it right. Consistency, diet (it's not just protein - carbs are just as important), and sleep will be what gets you to where you want to be. Supps aren't really necessary now.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2011, 05:53 PM   #9
Turbo>NA
Armenia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK-421 View Post
When you first start out, you're going to see results no matter how shitty your diet/sleep patterns are because your body isn't used to it. Once your "newbie gains" taper off, you'll really begin to see if you're doing it right. Consistency, diet (it's not just protein - carbs are just as important), and sleep will be what gets you to where you want to be. Supps aren't really necessary now.
thats why p90x offers muscle confusion, its its like new to your muscles everytime. Thats the only thing good about p90x.

- ltbmw : vorsteiner : linea corsa : h&r : k&n : e92-lighting : expectalot-vinyl -
--GONE--
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2011, 06:01 PM   #10
3onDubs
You live by the sword...
Rep
Drives: M4

Garage List
2007 328i  [0.00]
Cut, then bulk

First things first, you need to get your diet in check. Calculate your daily calorie requirements and eat 500 below, while maintaining the correct macros. Spend some time in the nutrition section on bodybuilding.com. Read all the stickies if this sounds like a foreign language.

Once you get your diet in check, you can work on perfecting your workout routine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAAW135i View Post
P90X my friend.
no
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2011, 06:11 PM   #11
Turbo>NA
Armenia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3onDubs View Post
Cut, then bulk

First things first, you need to get your diet in check. Calculate your daily calorie requirements and eat 500 below, while maintaining the correct macros. Spend some time in the nutrition section on bodybuilding.com. Read all the stickies if this sounds like a foreign language.

Once you get your diet in check, you can work on perfecting your workout routine.

no

Typo?

--GONE--
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2011, 06:20 PM   #12
AndyzDad
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i E92

You're in the same boat as I am: 5'8", 29 yrs old and 147 lbs. As someone suggested earlier, P90X works if you really stick to the "no pain, no gain" mantra.

Also, if you don't want to spend that kind of money and are dead serious about getting in top-shape, I suggest that you try either of the following:

1. Cross Fit www.crossfit.com
2. Body Rock @ www.bodyrock.tv (great eye-candy)

I alternate between the two.

Mind you, I also watch what I eat, but since you're 18, you don't have to.

Good luck!

Edit: By same boat, I meant back when I was your age. Now, I'm just fit. :P
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2011, 06:24 PM   #13
saeedg48
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche 991.1 GT3

Like you I'm getting lean and cut. Lots of running and biking.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/ is your friend..

When working out at the gym don't do random stuff work on two or three muscles groups and let them rest and the following day work on other muscles groups

Mon: Chest, Tri, Shoulder

Tue: Plyometrics or Intervel running (Max out, as many miles as possible)

Wed: Biceps & Back

Thurs: Yoga or 10km long distance Run

Fri: Legs & Back

Sat: Cycling, light jogs

Sun: Rest or Stretch

___

buying a road bike was one of the best decisions I made on a fitness level..
it's great cardio. i've owned mountain bikes but there's nothing like a road bike!
seriously go check out cycle city or any good bike store and get on a Specialized Allez Double
or anything under $800 to start off with.

Cycle City
1433 High Street
Alameda, CA 94501
(510) 521-2872

2015 Porsche 991.1 GT3
2015 F80 M3 -- Individual; Space Grey
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2011, 06:28 PM   #14
Turbo>NA
Armenia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by saeedg48 View Post
Like you I'm getting lean and cut. Lots of running and biking.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/ is your friend..

When working out at the gym don't do random stuff work on two or three muscles groups and let them rest and the following day work on other muscles groups

Mon: Chest, Tri, Shoulder

Tue: Plyometrics or Intervel running (Max out, as many miles as possible)

Wed: Biceps & Back

Thurs: Yoga or 10km long distance Run

Fri: Legs & Back

Sat: Cycling, light jogs

Sun: Rest or Stretch

I heard this is a negative for cutting. For bulking or toning a specific muscle yes. But to be completely shredded, you have to do circuit training everyday with only one rest day.

I use to workout everyday, same muscle groups and I lost a lot of weight and got toned. I stopped and started organizing and spliting my workouts out. I only noticed my muscles rising in size and strength, which is what I wanted.

I saw my friend the other day, and his body completely changed from circuit training. He doesn't split workouts.

--GONE--
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2011, 07:06 PM   #15
nevin
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: AA

I have been working out for a solid 10 years. I have done a few different things. For what you want you really only need 1hr in the gym, maybe 1:20 min. Jumping rope is great for you and easier on the knees then running. I used to do a circuit of jumping rope and abs:

Jump with both feet 50x
On right foot 25x
On Left foot 25x
Running in place kicking your heels close to your butt 50x
"boxer" style where you kick your toes out in front 50x (takes a little practice)

Then get a workout ball:
Do sit-ups...right/middle/left, that's one rep. I would do 30 reps, eventually with a weight behind my head.

Do this 3x and your done your cardio and abs.

Then go do your weight lifting of 3 sets 12/10/8, increasing the weight each set. 3 excersises at least for each muscle group. If I was doing my chest or bis that day I wouldn't jump rope because I didn't want to fatigue them, I wanted them as strong as possible. Just start off by doing bis,tris,chest,shoulders (not all the same day).

All this is pretty basic but I was shredded to the max! I have seen the results of cross fit and P90x. I have to say they work great. I'm just not that dedicated.

I have mostly been 150-153ilbs and I'm just about 6foot. Struggled forever to gain size. Now, probably not what your looking for but I changed my diet and my routine. I gained 15lbs in about 6 weeks. Got stronger in every area, and went from a 170lb bench max to 225lbs 3x. That's impressive for my midsize frame. If anyone wants this workout PM me I'll shoot it over, it's a little crazy though.

Forgot to mention-after four weeks your random exploring needs to end or you will never see anything close to the results you want. Also, if you haven't jumped rope before just try and do 20-25x each jump set and 10-15 reps for the abs.

These are things that have worked for me. I feel they may work for you but I am not officially qualified to give advice so take it how ever you want.

Last edited by nevin; 01-31-2011 at 07:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2011, 07:33 PM   #16
Enjoiyourlife
Sensei
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Noob gains are the best time of your life in the gym. To be honest - the advice in this thread so far is so-so. You are not ready for split workouts like some are suggesting. No small iso movements. You're best bet will be compound lifts. You hit every bodypart with compound movements.

The most important things for you = Diet and Sleep (recovery)

If you want to grow, eat about 500 cals over maintinance calories over 6 meals a day. Rule of thumb: If you're about 160lbs, multiply by 15 to get maint calories = 2400 (for an active person). Add 400-500 cals to gain muscle. Eat clean!

Personally, I would just eat at maint. for a few weeks to see where you're at. You'll lose bodyfat and gain lean mass with this programming. I've used it on clients for many years. I've trained professionally for 6 years now (don't confuse professional with some 24 hour fitness trainer who passed one NASM exam).

You can't handle much volume right now. If you have too much volume, you over-train your CNS and you are losing out on gains. Your CNS isn't trained for high volume yet so you need programming with built in deloading.

An example would be 3 times a week. M W F (Heavy, Medium, Light)
The weights you would use are percentages of you current 10 Rep Max (RM) for the following lifts.

1. Squat
2. Flat Barbell Bench
3. Bent Over Rows
4. Military Press
5. Stiff Legged Deadlifts
6. Bicep Curl
7. Calf Raises
8. Lat Pull Downs (Optional because you'll be tanked)

2 Warm Up Sets (25% of 10RM, 50% of 10RM)
2 Working Sets (100% 10RM)

Week 1 = 4 sets of 8 M(100% 10RM) W(90% 10RM) F(80% 10RM)
Week 2 = 4 sets of 9 M(100% 10RM) W(90% 10RM) F(80% 10RM)
Week 3 = 4 sets of 10 M(100% 10RM) W(90% 10RM) F(80% 10RM)
Week 4 = 4 sets of 11 M(100% 10RM) W(90% 10RM) F(80% 10RM)
Week 5 = 4 sets of 12 M(100% 10RM) W(90% 10RM) F(80% 10RM)

If you complete 12 reps of your 10 Rep Max on Week 5, then you've grown. You would add 10% weight and start over on Week 1 with your NEW 10 Rep Max.

Last edited by Enjoiyourlife; 01-31-2011 at 07:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2011, 08:24 PM   #17
3onDubs
You live by the sword...
Rep

Garage List
2007 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unleash The Beast View Post
Hey guys. I am 18 years old, 5'7" and 145lbs. I started going to the gym starting this month. I want to get lean and cut. For the 4 weeks I have been going to the gym I have lost 5lbs and my biceps have gotten slightly bigger.
I have been doing a lot of random stuff every time I go just to explore. I feel though that I am wasting a lot of my time because I usually go 4 days a week for about 1.5-2 hours and I haven't seen that much results.

So I need your guys help. I need a daily workout routine that I can do to help me lose fat and gain muscle. Like I said, I go to the gym at least 4 days a week and I have really changed my diet. I eat more protein, a lot less sugar and fatty foods. I did a lot of research and I found that everyone has a routine that is specific to their needs, so if you guys can help me out with a work out schedule I would really appreciate it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo>NA View Post
Typo?
no
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2011, 08:25 PM   #18
3onDubs
You live by the sword...
Rep

Garage List
2007 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo>NA View Post
I heard this is a negative for cutting. For bulking or toning a specific muscle yes. But to be completely shredded, you have to do circuit training everyday with only one rest day.

I use to workout everyday, same muscle groups and I lost a lot of weight and got toned. I stopped and started organizing and spliting my workouts out. I only noticed my muscles rising in size and strength, which is what I wanted.

I saw my friend the other day, and his body completely changed from circuit training. He doesn't split workouts.
no....cutting or bulking, workouts don't change, only diet and possibly cardio volume

first things first...........diet
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2011, 06:06 PM   #19
Unleash The Beast
Huh?
United_States
Rep

Thanks a lot for all the responses guys. There is a lot of good information that you guys have given me and I really appreciate it.

I am a little confused though because some of you are saying that I need to gain weight then loose. I don't get that because I am overweight right now. Do I need to do a lot of cardio first to burn off all my fat, and then start to tone my muscles, or can I do both at the same time?

Thanks again!
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2011, 06:28 PM   #20
bhoch
SSGT USMC - '78 - '86
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si

Garage List
2007 BMW Z4  [7.33]
Quote:
Thanks a lot for all the responses guys. There is a lot of good information that you guys have given me and I really appreciate it.

I am a little confused though because some of you are saying that I need to gain weight then loose. I don't get that because I am overweight right now. Do I need to do a lot of cardio first to burn off all my fat, and then start to tone my muscles, or can I do both at the same time?

Thanks again!
First thing to do is get your diet understood. Work on your workout program (number of days per week, exerciesed for each body part, etc..) as well, but get the diet down first. As your new to the weight training, just hitting the gym/weights will show progress for a little bit.

Some cardio is a good idea - as it's always good to get your heart rate up for a little bit. You may want to do HIIT type of exercising and not worry too much on straight cardio at first (HIIT will get your heart rate up).

either way - hit the gym and focus on compound muscle group exercises and your diet. Change will come in time.

2007 3.0si Roadster Black/Red, sport, Piano Black F14 Forgestar's
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2011, 11:39 PM   #21
3onDubs
You live by the sword...
Rep

Garage List
2007 328i  [0.00]
Quote:

Thanks again!
At the end of the day, calories in vs. calories out determines whether you gain or lose weight. You can lose weight with zero cardio, although since it burns calories, it can prove to be very helpful.

What you want to do is get down to a manageable body fat %. Estimate where you're at right now and aim for a good number (i.e. below 14% or so). Once you are done cutting, you can go for a clean bulk to put on some lean mass.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2011, 06:57 AM   #22
VAlsbM3
AwwwYEA!
United_States
Rep
Drives: DD - e90 325i / Track - E46 M3

If you want to burn off fat and tone up, P90x will help you acheive your goals, if those are indeed your goals. Check out the P90x threads in here.
Appreciate 0