BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

10-21-2011, 06:09 PM   #133
bruce.augenstein@comcast.
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 C63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine View Post
The GTR is EPIC, really? I think it's more the price tag that is making it so 'epic'. I not discounting Nissan engineers, I'm saying, for the Skylines, there has always been untapped power. My intentions of pointing to past Skylines was to show how amazing they were, and how an amazing GT-R, is just the next generation of an amazing car, I expect to hear about amazingly fast GT-Rs, like a TT porsche, you just know it's going to be fast.
You guys are starting to sound like dilettantes in a school library somewhere.

You're arguing about whether the GT-R is "epic" or not? Jesus H. .......

Before it came out, I stated in these forums that the car would be a runaway killer - because it had to be. Nissan's corporate honor was at stake, and perhaps the Japanese automotive industry's honor, as well. Although the Skylines were rumored to be epic performers in Japan (and a few other places) for decades, most had never experienced one of these machines. Nissan had to prove that the fabled Skylines deserved their reputation.

As has been reported in this string, the GT-R is just the latest in a series of killer cars released by Nissan over the years. Every one a winner.

As an example, does my memory fail me, or wasn't the R34 the first street car to go around the 'Ring in less than eight minutes.

It seems to me everyone has agreed that the Skylines are indeed an amazingly strong line of overperforming vehicles, with the latest holding the torch just as high as the previous versions.

OK, please go back to arguing about "epic" now. Sorry to interrupt.

Quote:
If say Toyota, would make an amazing 2013 supra tt, and say it came with 550hp, and suddenly the engineers at Toyota extracted 650hp by adding boost/psi sold as stock, my arguement would be the same, guys were adding boost a long time ago.
If Toyota built an amazing 550 HP Supra, that would be an epic vehicle, but I have a nit with you in regard to how they (or any manufacturer) would go about souping it up. It's within the realm of possibility that a manufacturer would simply add boost, but it is much more likely that they would do a considerable amount of additional engineering in such a project. I am referring to additional block strengthening, valve materials, increased cooling, re-engineering oil cooling for piston crowns, and on and on...

It's the aftermarket that just adds boost.

Bruce

Last edited by bruce.augenstein@comcast.; 10-21-2011 at 11:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2011, 03:33 PM   #134
Optherion
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Prancing Horse

Quote:
If say Toyota, would make an amazing 2013 supra tt, and say it came with 550hp, and suddenly the engineers at Toyota extracted 650hp by adding boost/psi sold as stock, my arguement would be the same, guys were adding boost a long time ago.
Once again. you are comparing an OEM company (Toyota) that spends billions of dollars in research to make a car with 550hp (as example) that will last 100k+ miles.
Anyone can add fuel, boost and parts to make 1000hp.

Find me one supra or any car for that matter that advertises they have PUT 100k ADDITIONAL Miles on their motors while producing 1000hp. Oh thats right......

There isn't a single car in history that has yet to achieve that. If toyota made a new supra, that would be incredible. I dont care if it even has 300hp I would still buy one.

I will be amazed if my GT-R makes it to 100k+ miles. My e92 M3 didnt even make it to 18k before a blown motor.