BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

06-20-2016, 01:11 PM   #1
yidgyi
///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3 ZCP

Limp mode & OBDII code help.

Hey folks,

I need help with the codes I received when using Carly BMW app. I tried searching online but can't seem to find what they mean. Codes are below.

Car: 2013 e92 M3 DCT 42k Miles.
index - 0027E4
check at lower top - 002B57
check at lower top - 002796

Brought my M3 to the service center last week because of the same issue, limp mode and SES light. They replaced a part and I got my car back. Couple days later I'm pulling out of my drive way and 1 minute later my car goes into limp mode multiple times after restarting the engine and this time also states "Increased Emissions". Anyone have similar issues that can chime in on this? I was thinking maybe one of the known issues like O2 sensor or TA's.

Thanks in advanced for any help!
P.S. This car is no joke in limp mode, can't move for shit!
      06-20-2016, 01:21 PM   #2
kb9uwu
Supreme Czar
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW E90 M3 6MT (GONE)

TA's
Appreciate 1
      06-20-2016, 02:05 PM   #3
Rat3d ///M
997.1TT
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Porsche 911 Turbo

A quick Google search pulls up the following definition for the 27E4:

27E4 Knock sensor 3

The other two codes are a result of limp mode, and basically mean the car went into emergency mode (they mean nothing in relation to your issue). Not sure how accurate this definition of the 27E4 is, as I am reading that the S65 doesn't use knock sensors. That is all I could find though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb9uwu View Post
TA's
Why make a random guess without even knowing what codes he is throwing, and if you were aware of what his codes mean, what made you arrive at that conclusion? May as well throw a dart at a dart board to help in your assessment. Both would be equally correct I'll bet.
Follow me on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/rat3d_m/
Appreciate 2
      06-20-2016, 02:09 PM   #4
yidgyi
///M
United_States
Rep

Thank you for all the replies! After searching some more I found a list of OBD2 error codes for the M3.
      06-20-2016, 02:11 PM   #5
BPMSport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: Harrop M3 / F10 M5 / F82 M4

Garage List
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
1990 BMW 735i Turbo  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
27E4 is the Brake Booster Vacuum Sensor - I suspect that a recent brake fluid change or top off has caused this issue. Replace the sensor and clean off the affected area and you'll be good to go.

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----
Appreciate 2
K-M390.50
      06-20-2016, 03:44 PM   #6
kb9uwu
Supreme Czar
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW E90 M3 6MT (GONE)

Quote:
Originally Posted by |||||||||| View Post
A quick Google search pulls up the following definition for the 27E4:

27E4 Knock sensor 3

The other two codes are a result of limp mode, and basically mean the car went into emergency mode (they mean nothing in relation to your issue). Not sure how accurate this definition of the 27E4 is, as I am reading that the S65 doesn't use knock sensors. That is all I could find though.

Why make a random guess without even knowing what codes he is throwing, and if you were aware of what his codes mean, what made you arrive at that conclusion? May as well throw a dart at a dart board to help in your assessment. Both would be equally correct I'll bet.
Wait, how old are his rod bearings?!
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2016, 06:07 PM   #7
yidgyi
///M
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb9uwu View Post
Wait, how old are his rod bearings?!
Roughly 3 years young.

Update: Towed my car to my local service center. Thanks for all the replies.
      06-21-2016, 10:27 AM   #8
yidgyi
///M
United_States
Rep

Seems like it was a brake booster issue. Might also get my brake lines replaced .

Again, thanks for everyones input.
      09-10-2018, 10:03 PM   #9
K-M3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '12 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPMSport View Post
27E4 is the Brake Booster Vacuum Sensor - I suspect that a recent brake fluid change or top off has caused this issue. Replace the sensor and clean off the affected area and you'll be good to go.
Apologies for bumping an old post , probably u've gone over this a dozen times on other threads, but car went into limp mode, kinda similar to OPs description. I've got a thread going in the engine section of this forum . Looks like I'm getting similar codes on my Carly -

Reading this thread, I seem to be getting a non stop whirring noise from the drivers side footwell. Typically that's not unusual for me but it usually goes off after a few seconds. This is persistent . I did have a recent brake flush performed. Hoping that's it's what u said n not the TAs or anything major. Calling the dealer tomorrow. Thx for all your help on this forum.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-10-2018, 10:05 PM   #10
BPMSport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: Harrop M3 / F10 M5 / F82 M4

Garage List
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
1990 BMW 735i Turbo  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-M3 View Post
Quote:
Apologies for bumping an old post , probably u've gone over this a dozen times on other threads, but car went into limp mode, kinda similar to OPs description. I've got a thread going in the engine section of this forum . Looks like I'm getting similar codes on my Carly -
Replace the sensor and check the wiring for contamination.

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----
Appreciate 1
K-M390.50
      09-10-2018, 10:07 PM   #11
K-M3
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I'll search the forum for a diy on this if there is one
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2018, 10:15 PM   #12
K-M3
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quick question - any possibility that when the dealer performed the brake flush, they introduced air into the system that's causing the sensor to go off ?? Asking because if so, then it maybe worthwhile to have them fix this on their dime, instead of me doing a diy n a flush on mine . Don't want to be nasty to them since they've been good so far, just trying to decide the best way to approach this . Thx again !!!
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2018, 08:13 AM   #13
nolaman1970
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW M3 E93

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
I had the same issue, after a hard brake line was replaced which involved replacing the brake fluid, I was getting the same code. I first replace the vacuum pump itself behind the wheel well, but it turned out it was the sensor. I did see very little brake fluid on it and cleaned it with an air compressor, but the code kept coming back. The sensor is located right below the brake fluid reservoir. The vacuum pump it plugs into is located in the wheel well behind the plastic wheel well cover. I unplugged and replaced the sensor only, even though the new part came with the hoses, they are clamped on. This did resolve my problem, others have had the same issue.
It is extremely easy to replace with a long torx screwdriver to reach below the fluid reservoir, if they give you any issue do it yourself.

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...linder/PgI7kDt

#1 in the second picture, you do not have to remove the master cylinder, the sensor can be pushed aside some.

The sensor will come with the hoses attached, just remove the sensor from the new hoses and replace it only.

Last edited by nolaman1970; 09-12-2018 at 08:53 AM..
Appreciate 0