BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

European Auto Source (EAS)

07-15-2014, 09:43 AM   #89
HP Man
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Batmobile

This is simply one of the best build threads ever! I look forward to reading more updates.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2014, 01:49 PM   #90
dfjaws
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 / E86 M Coupe

This is so awesome. Great job!
      07-18-2014, 10:19 PM   #91
DemolitionJim
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 MW M3

this is gonna be epic
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2014, 05:38 AM   #92
In33anity
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M3

Thanks guys, really appreciate it. Got some good help this weekend. Finally got the pedal box sorted.

Also started mocking up my exhaust w/ Active's test tubes and high flow cats this weekend. Trimmed the frame braces and will put in reinforcing plate. Has taken a great deal of time to get the pedals, exhaust and steering to play nice together. Cats will go on either side of the trans in middle of the test tubes shown between the sensor bungs. You can also see raised the front tabs for the steering column to lower the steering wheel which just felt too high. Clinches the need for a steering wheel quick release.

Finally, finished plumbing the AA supercharger cooling system w/ XRP braided ss AN6 hose and the oil system w/ a massive AN12, got the e46 front hubs back from the machine shop and mounted and started milling brackets for the front brakes.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2014, 08:03 AM   #93
UroGator
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 MR E92 M3 6MT

Looks great! Need to get rid of that tall stock shift knob and upgrade to the F30 M5 OEM unit that fits much better in the hand and improves shift feel
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2014, 08:27 AM   #94
In33anity
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UroGator View Post
Looks great! Need to get rid of that tall stock shift knob and upgrade to the F30 M5 OEM unit that fits much better in the hand and improves shift feel
It's there now for mock-up, was planning on ultimately going with an aftermarket short shift kit. I'll have to check out the F30. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2014, 10:30 PM   #95
wrecklessfool
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

This is too cool! Such a unique project. Definitely following this one to the end
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2014, 10:59 PM   #96
MilehighM3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Harrop E90 M3

Garage List
2009 E90 M3  [6.50]
Great build so far, keep up the great work!

For a short shift kit, I highly recommend the CAE shifter. In a project like this, it's practically the only way to go. The tall shifter will fit well with the swagger of the roadster, IMO. In addition to being the most precise shifter on the market that is.

Here's a link to a decent shot of it in an E46.
http://www.hardmotorsport.com/cae-bmw-ultra-shifter/" rel="" target="_blank">http://<a href="http://www.hardmotor...a-shifter/</a>
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2014, 07:20 PM   #97
thegeneral101
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 Z06,'13 750Li,'11 Raptor

I haven't checked this thread in months...so glad to see it still active. Brings a smile to my face
      09-14-2014, 08:15 AM   #98
In33anity
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks guys, really appreciate the support
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2014, 08:17 AM   #99
In33anity
Private First Class
Rep

One year ago this morning I was in Boston on my way to pick up a rental truck on my way to Factory Five to pick up a very trimmed (but in hindsight not quite trimmed enough) stage 1 kit plus body. What an amazing year it’s been. The goal was to build a traditional badass looking hot rod that gives no hint from 20 feet away it housed a European high revving sportscar drivetrain and full IRS suspension. The jury’s still out, but the dream is progressing – and boy am I having fun!

What started as a 14,600 mile dropout from a wrecked S65 powered BMW M3 is now just a 6 page to do list away over the next few weeks to hopefully get it to the running milestone. While I knew and planned on building a cradle for the rear end, and engine and transmission mounts for the BMW drivetrain, I exponentially underestimated the fact that to get this drivetrain to play nice in the FFR chassis would require fabricating or tweaking virtually every mount, tab, bracket or other part to make it all fit. Add in a centrifugal supercharger to boost the motor to an expected 700+ HP and the project has lived up to the moniker In33anity.

I’ve learned that one thing always leads to another. Case in point, the S65 has the alternator mounted low next to the oil pan on the driver’s side, but the FFR chassis is too narrow to fit (and the steering is in the way). After a great deal of thought, only place to fit it was above the valve cover on the passenger side. But the OEM oil filter was in the way of getting a belt to make it to the new location. No one makes a remote kit for the S65 and the plate was way too complicated to try at home. I tracked down the manufacturer of the block-off plate oil block for the racing dry sump kit (after months of measuring and toying with the idea, concluded no room for the dry sump pump), modified it with 12AN weld-in bungs and the remote oil filter set-up was ready to go. No after-market alternator brackets are available for this motor, so I ended up having to mill my own. Of course the belt to the waterpump was now going to hit the new oil lines for the remote system so I ended up having a balanced spacer built to move the pulley out. From start to finish this probably took 6 months. Virtually every system on this project has a story like this! At any one time there are several workstreams running simultaneously like this one.

Here’s a pic of the oil block I found to fit the crazy OEM gasket and ports on the engine block. The finished set-up is pictured further down.

I originally budgeted a month or so to get the drivetrain mounted and then get the chassis powdercoated for the rest of the build. I quickly discovered the folly in that idea. A year in, weld-in tweaks haven’t stopped! Current plan is to get it running, weld in a list of tweak’s and brackets (bumper, grille, radiator and intercooler support, upper harness tabs, exhaust mounts, rear bump stop brackets, etc.) then tear it all down for paint, chrome, powdercoat and anodizing, as the case may be.

I’ve made a ton of friends along the way, including on this forum! Of particular note is a BMW dealer tech who has thrown his soul and incredible talents into assisting on this project in his spare time. Critical to the project has been the invaluably helpful support of some amazing vendors willing to put their very best into one off designs for this project – Active Autowerke, The Driveshaft Shop, VAC Motorsport, KMS Racing Engines, Cosworth, C&R Racing, Fuelsafe. Huge shoutout this week to The Driveshaft Shop who’s provided advice on layout of the drivetrain from the very beginning and this week delivered a custom dropdead gorgeous carbon fiber shaft. Went in this weekend.

So after a year, here’s a couple of pic’s of what I started with and where I am today.

Here’s a sequence of pics of the installation of the BMW 5-link IRS rear-end. First, notice in the second pic how the FFR chassis doesn’t come close to extending far enough to accommodate the rear. Final pic show’s the finished rear of the chassis (and the new fuel tank location with the Fuelsafe cell).

Anyway, signing off to head back out to the garage for some more!
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2014, 08:26 AM   #100
THE-FN-MAN
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 x2

WOW!!!! Amazing!!
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2014, 10:21 AM   #101
JD3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 e92 M3, DCT.

Great progress. This will be too cool.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2014, 12:21 PM   #102
Hujan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

I continue to think this is one of the coolest builds ever. Keep up the great work! Can't wait to see the finished product.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2014, 01:35 PM   #103
douglee25
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E36 M3

Very nice work!

Doug
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2014, 02:31 PM   #104
husks002
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3, 981 GT4

Best build thread ever....
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2014, 09:47 AM   #105
edwinm3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82

this is looking so

Grigio Telesto M4, 6MT.
Coyote 5.0 F-150
991 GT3
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2014, 07:41 AM   #106
In33anity
Private First Class
Rep

I really appreciate the comments guys!!! Thanks!!!

What I hope will be the last major design obstacle to get the S65 to running phase has finally been overcome!!! Albany DMV has been insistent that to register this project in New York with a 2008 motor in the FFR ’33 it needs to have a functional secondary air system since the motor came with one from the factory. The problem encountered is the Cosworth Pectel SQ6M ECU only has capacity for one fly-by-wire throttle and it reads secondary air as if it were a fly-by-wire throttle!!! Since I’m already going to be running fly-by-wire (Tilton pedal with the fly-by-wire accessory, Penny and Giles sensor and reflashed BMW OEM throttle actuators), we had hit a wall. Turns out Volkswagon runs virtually an identical pump to the BMW with a slightly different stepper motor that KMS Racing Engines, who is building my EMS was able to reflash and run in a second shadow sytem that will only run at start-up, shut off completely at 3000 rpm, and have a manual shut-off switch so can leave it off altogether for racing applications. In final testing and hopefully ready to ship by the end of the week. Has been a real nagging issue for months as what fun is it to build a car if you can’t get it registered to drive!
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2014, 08:11 AM   #107
douglee25
First Lieutenant
Rep

I thought they go back to the actual vehicle vin, not the engine year?

Since your engine post dates your car, why isn't that acceptable without all the emissions nonsense?

Doug
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2014, 08:22 AM   #108
In33anity
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by douglee25 View Post
I thought they go back to the actual vehicle vin, not the engine year?

Since your engine post dates your car, why isn't that acceptable without all the emissions nonsense?

Doug
Not in New York... For a de novo registration for a custom built car in New York the law unfortunately is tied to engine year. The examiner even suggested to me to build it running with an early '70's block and have it inspected for the registration, then once have a VIN, go do a swap for whatever year I desired.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2014, 08:25 AM   #109
douglee25
First Lieutenant
Rep

No foolin'. I learn something new everyday.

Good luck. Sounds like you have it figured out.

Thanks again.

Doug
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2014, 08:29 AM   #110
In33anity
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by douglee25 View Post
No foolin'. I learn something new everyday.

Good luck. Sounds like you have it figured out.

Thanks again.

Doug
No foolin'!!! Cheers--I
Appreciate 0