BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > DIY Guides/ Discussions

European Auto Source (EAS)

12-13-2023, 05:58 AM   #1
relevante
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2008 E93 M3

Alternator Belt Tensioner Stuck

I just got a new to me 2008 E93 with only 44k miles and am taking advantage of the winter to get a bunch of proactive maintenance done to get it ready for spring.

Was planning to change belts just due to age and it's showing the 278D alternator missing code so I'm going to throw a new alternator on as well.

The PS pump/AC compressor belt came right off, but the tensioner for the alternator/water pump belt feels seized. I'm twisting it (clockwise) hard enough that I don't want to go any harder for fear of breaking the bolt and it's not showing any sign of releasing. Obviously I can just cut the belt off and remove/replace the tensioner, which I was considering anyway, but first I just wanted to see if I'm missing something, just to know for sure if there's actually a problem with the tensioner.

This side doesn't take some unusually crazy force to get it to start moving or some other trick, does it?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2024, 09:32 PM   #2
Scrippy
Lord Scrip
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Coupe

Garage List
  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
It’s not that hard. All you’re doing is compressing the little shock (part #3). If it’s locked up just unbolt it and replace it. I mean I do my belts and pulleys every two years as the parts aren’t really breaking the bank and a smooth quiet car is what I get for it. I’d do both tensioners, belts and pulleys as you’re already in there.
Attached Images

02-03-2024, 05:18 AM   #3
relevante
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2008 E93 M3

Just closing the loop on this. I just got around to starting to put this back together (I'm not driving the car on the salted winter roads anyway, so it's all moving slowly) and the new tensioner moves basically effortlessly compared to the force I was throwing at the old one. It was definitely seized.
Appreciate 1