BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

BPM

03-16-2009, 11:47 AM   #1
ponch_ki
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: cars

Getting MDM, is it possible?

My M3 has no MDM on it at the moment. Is there a possible way for me to get one for my car? (I have no iDrive)
      03-16-2009, 12:16 PM   #2
niterider
Proove It!
Rep
Drives: Gintani Supercharged

As far as I know, i have never heard of anyone being able to retrofit something like MDM on a car that didnt come with it. And if it was possible (which I dont think it is) it would cost way 2 much to even b worth retrofitting. However if I were you I would take that money and invest it in as many driving control classes as I could afford n attend as many track events as well. Once you learn how to drive your car properly MDM will not cut it for u. DSC off is all you will be running.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2009, 12:32 PM   #3
M3 Montreal
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3 SG ,DCT & 2011 S4

Damn... people post about whether EDC is a must on the M3 and in my opinion that is not a dealbreaker but MDM... Wow that thing is simply amazing and on street use I drive with it on almost ALL the time (with the exception being when I forget to press my M button).

2011 B8 S4 S-Tronic , Black on magma red
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2009, 02:05 PM   #4
gr8000
Major
Greece
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 - DCT

no iDrive = no MDM

Retrofitting all this? Even if this was possible (may be, don't know) the cost would make it the most expensive MDM in the world!!
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2009, 02:09 PM   #5
MMMorish
Just call me J.J. McClure
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 & C4 Corvette

Would probably be easier to just trade your car in on a new one with MDM.
MODS: Meisterschaft GT Racing Exhaust / BMC Air Filter / UUC SSK & DSSR (Modded)/ RPI Scoops / Passport SRX Hardwired / Custom Wrap 3M Clearbra / 20% Tint / 50% Windshield Tint / Key Hole Delete / Matted Out Accessories / VRS Type II Diffuser / Smoked Reflectors / Euphoria 6K LED Interior Lights / Rear Fog Light Mod / 6000K HID's / 6500K LUX H8 Angel Eyes / RDash License Plate LED Kit / LED Xenon Reverse Lights
"M3 drivers have no friends"
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2009, 03:17 PM   #6
Doc
Second Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 AW/Blk sunroof 19s

No MDM means no safe M experience IMHO. Maybe you have big cahonies and drive with DSC off 100% of the time?

Sell it and get a car with M button - money well spent if you want to go to the limit and not kill yourself in a hurry
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2009, 03:20 PM   #7
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Not sure why people think this would be so expensive to add as it is simply software.

Sure, MDM from the factory requires MDrive which in turn requires iDrive. Retrofitting all that would be horribly expensive and not worth it. But MDM itself is just a predefined DSC program. All the hardware to support MDM itself comes with every M3 regardless of how it is optioned.

Granted there's no guarantee that the non-ZTP cars have the MDM DSC program included in their firmware. But if that program is indeed present in the DSC control unit, then retrofitting it would simply mean finding a way to access it and installing a custom switch to turn it on/off. Or, even better, you could install a 3 position switch on the console (like the one EDC has) in place of the current two position one so that you could toggle between all modes. In fact, this mod would be useful for all cars, ZTP and non-ZTP alike and would very like be installed and wired up the same way for all cars as well.

Other variations of this theme would be adding a three position switch to support Sport Plus power from the dash, and adding a completely new switch to support changing the steering program from the dash. For us non-EDC guys, you could even add the steering switch where the blank one is currently. Again, this is all really just software, aside from the switch itself and wiring.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2009, 04:33 PM   #8
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

You don't even need a 3 position switch. BMW could easily have made MDM active with a single push of the DSC button and DSC off with holding down the button, which is how it's done with DTC/DSC on the non-M cars.

It was a BS move by BMW to not make MDM standard on all M cars, and require a HUGE package to get it. It just shows how the M division has morphed from it's original vision. Now we get M X5 and X6's. What a joke.
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2009, 08:11 PM   #9
jml
Major
Rep
Drives: X5M, GT3RS, GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
You don't even need a 3 position switch. BMW could easily have made MDM active with a single push of the DSC button and DSC off with holding down the button, which is how it's done with DTC/DSC on the non-M cars.

It was a BS move by BMW to not make MDM standard on all M cars, and require a HUGE package to get it. It just shows how the M division has morphed from it's original vision. Now we get M X5 and X6's. What a joke.
They needed all the help they could get to sell iDrive.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2009, 11:00 PM   #10
04S
Captain
Rep
Drives: M4 xDrive, X5 40i and U11 X1

Agree it must be simply software, and a variation on the existing DSC theme which all cars have. But surely it would be difficult to get installed ?
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2009, 10:58 PM   #11
ponch_ki
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: cars

thanks for the replies guys, it sucks here because for some reason, idrive is only available on 5, 6 and 7 series. I have no idea why here in Manila, they dont include idrive as standard on all cars...
      03-18-2009, 09:57 AM   #12
mchm3
Private
Rep
Drives: 08 m3 dct

dsc off all the time
IanMan384.00
      03-18-2009, 10:47 AM   #13
needspeed
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 10 X5 M/05 F430/12 CTS-V Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchm3 View Post
dsc off all the time
Not quite the same unfortunately ......Steve
05 F430 F1 - Giallo
08 BMW M3 Interlagos Blue Metallic - DCT (Traded)
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2009, 10:52 AM   #14
busman76
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 AW/Fox

if somebody figures out how to install MDM I am game. I didn't want idrive but do want MDM
      03-18-2009, 11:53 AM   #15
tightie
JOSH SHOKRI.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3RS, 964, Raptor

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [7.90]
Wow, now I'm happy I have iDrive
      08-28-2009, 06:50 PM   #16
FrenchBoy
Lieutenant Colonel
France
Rep
Drives: '16 F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by busman76 View Post
if somebody figures out how to install MDM I am game. I didn't want idrive but do want MDM
I think I feel the same way. I could care less about iDrive but wish I had MDM.

I agree that this is probably all due to software and that all the necessary hardware (sensors, etc.) is in all M3s. It's just a matter of having the right lines of code. I would actually be happy if normal DSC ON was calling out MDM functionality in my car. Same button; different behavior.

Also, I am under the impression that MDM can be spec'd without iDrive in other markets. Is this correct? If so it must be doable.

Has any tuner being able to do that? Retrofit MDM code to non-tech package cars?

Current: 2016 F80 M3 6-Speed | SO | AB XT1 | ZCP | M Performance Suspension | GC Camber Plates
Previous: 2009 E90 M3
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2009, 07:42 PM   #17
Mrgunfun
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 M-DCT

Those of you who didn't get the MDM (or I-drive), you're missing out alot
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2009, 08:50 PM   #18
3XTR3M3
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 AW M3 6MT

I dont have iDrive but I would totaly be on board for MDM. I mostly drive with DSC off but sometimes I could use some assistance and would be willing to pay for it.

Like FrenchBoy said, I would be up for making DSC behave like MDM all the time
      08-28-2009, 09:20 PM   #19
michaeldorian
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
Not sure why people think this would be so expensive to add as it is simply software.

Sure, MDM from the factory requires MDrive which in turn requires iDrive. Retrofitting all that would be horribly expensive and not worth it. But MDM itself is just a predefined DSC program. All the hardware to support MDM itself comes with every M3 regardless of how it is optioned.

Granted there's no guarantee that the non-ZTP cars have the MDM DSC program included in their firmware. But if that program is indeed present in the DSC control unit, then retrofitting it would simply mean finding a way to access it and installing a custom switch to turn it on/off. Or, even better, you could install a 3 position switch on the console (like the one EDC has) in place of the current two position one so that you could toggle between all modes. In fact, this mod would be useful for all cars, ZTP and non-ZTP alike and would very like be installed and wired up the same way for all cars as well.

Other variations of this theme would be adding a three position switch to support Sport Plus power from the dash, and adding a completely new switch to support changing the steering program from the dash. For us non-EDC guys, you could even add the steering switch where the blank one is currently. Again, this is all really just software, aside from the switch itself and wiring.
I completely agree. technically speaking, MDM has nothing to do with iDrive. It's just someone with the acess to the MDM software and be able to toggle it. I wouldn't be suprised if MDM is actually on non-ZTP cars. There just no way to activate it. A 3 state DSC button would be the ideal retrofit.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2009, 09:22 PM   #20
michaeldorian
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrenchBoy View Post
I think I feel the same way. I could care less about iDrive but wish I had MDM.

I agree that this is probably all due to software and that all the necessary hardware (sensors, etc.) is in all M3s. It's just a matter of having the right lines of code. I would actually be happy if normal DSC ON was calling out MDM functionality in my car. Same button; different behavior.

Also, I am under the impression that MDM can be spec'd without iDrive in other markets. Is this correct? If so it must be doable.

Has any tuner being able to do that? Retrofit MDM code to non-tech package cars?
This would be a great project for someone with knowledge of the BMW drive systems. I'd definately pay for it.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2009, 09:24 PM   #21
michaeldorian
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post

Totally agree. Some real BS on BMW's part.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2009, 09:52 PM   #22
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Glad to see this thread revived and more people expressing interest.

I have to believe this is very possible. There is a thread on the forum (I'll dig it up if there is interest) from a vendor who claims to have retrofit software for M-DCT to eliminate the lag. If vendors have that level of knowledge about the various CUs throughout these cars then anything is possible. The problem is that vendors might not see a market for all this. However, as I pointed out in my last post, ALL M3s would benefit from having a 3 position switch on the center console to toggle MDM. Additionally, being able to toggle steering and Sport+ from the console would be nice for everyone. I think there is a potentially big market for this mod.
Appreciate 0