BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

Mporium BMW

11-27-2018, 09:13 PM   #1
DameJ.M3
Young Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2010 BMW 135i  [0.00]
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Deciding on the Perfect Burble Tune

Before you guys get upset or annoyed by this repeated topic please consider how many years these companies have been in business and how much each company has changed these files.

To begin I am looking for a company to tune my E92 M3. Currently its FBO and in the future i have plans to run ESS 625/650 supercharger. I am interested in the burble option and if possible to have it burble throughout the entire RPM band.

The companies i have been looking into are Gintani (currently have their tune), BPMSport (Recently started offering the burble option) and RKTunes.

So far Gintani has informed me that they don't recommend lowering the RPMs for when the car burbles as it will become "annoying". With that said they declined to lowering it and recommended the "Extreme burble option instead. RKTunes has said it is possible and wont be an issue however I am aware that RKTunes sounds quite different from Gintani and finding a sound clip of the burbles is almost impossible. BPMSport being new to the burble scene did state you can adjust the intensity and choose the RPMs that it will occur at. Out of the three BPM seems like the obvious choice but with Gintani and RKtunes sounding very different I have no idea what to expect from BPMSport.

Another thing I was considering is when I do add the supercharger I would like to have my car properly tuned to work well with the kit. This can be done through logs of driving or putting the car on a dyno. RKTunes is closest to (about an hour and a half away) so the other two would be done through logging most likely.

I don't mind going with any of the companies but i would like to know what each one sounds like. If anyone has any sound clips of Gintani Extreme burble, RKTunes burble or BPMSport burble then please feel free to leave a sound clip below. I am mostly looking to gain the burble effect in the lower RPM range so if anyone has something like that then please comment or share a video on the tune.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2018, 09:55 PM   #2
DukeofAlexandria
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 E85 Z4 / 2013 E93 M3

Garage List
2013 BMW M3 E93  [0.00]
2007 BMW Z4 E85  [6.00]
...but why?

You're just dumping gas into the cat/exhaust and making it sound artificial. I guess to each there own, but I'd suggest taking a drive in a car with it and seeing how you like it for extended periods of time.

Also, sounds like you've done your homework already, maybe try the search function?

https://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1440822
Appreciate 3
kyippee1073.00
SYT_Shadow11479.50
Iyzmi802.00
      11-27-2018, 10:02 PM   #3
DameJ.M3
Young Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 BMW 135i  [0.00]
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeofAlexandria View Post
...but why?

You're just dumping gas into the cat/exhaust and making it sound artificial. I guess to each there own, but I'd suggest taking a drive in a car with it and seeing how you like it for extended periods of time.

Also, sounds like you've done your homework already, maybe try the search function?

[QUOTE=DukeofAlexandria;24044928]

I covered both. I already have Gintani's Burble option but a previous version so I know what that sounds like. It is personal preference and I find the artificial sound pleasing. The only thing I don't like is how it just cuts out at 5k RPMs. If it worked throughout the entire RPM band and got more mild as the RPMs fall then it would be perfect IMO.

I've also tried searching but as I've said BPMSport burble option is fairly new still so not to many people have it. The Gintani Extreme burble option is also fairly new. And not too many people on the forums support RKTunes on the E9x chassis.

Since a few years have gone by since these companies were talked about and they all offer very similar options now (they didn't before) I figured people's opinions may have changed.
      11-27-2018, 10:06 PM   #4
Thtkidwihthem3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW m3 e93 le man's blu

Quote:
Originally Posted by DameJ.M3 View Post
Quote:
...but why?

Quote:
...but why?

I covered both. I already have Gintani's Burble option but a previous version so I know what that sounds like. It is personal preference and I find the artificial sound pleasing. The only thing I don't like is how it just cuts out at 5k RPMs. If it worked throughout the entire RPM band and got more mild as the RPMs fall then it would be perfect IMO.

I've also tried searching but as I've said BPMSport burble option is fairly new still so not to many people have it. The Gintani Extreme burble option is also fairly new. And not too many people on the forums support RKTunes on the E9x chassis.

Since a few years have gone by since these companies were talked about and they all offer very similar options now (they didn't before) I figured people's opinions may have changed.
I'm actually going fbo soon rktunes is on my list I know someone who runs rktunes and shoots fat ass flames is instagram is Danny.e92
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2018, 10:41 PM   #5
M3ANMACHINE
Admiral
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 + 2014 F15 X5

Absolutely pointless modification in my opinion. Sounds extremely artificial
2011 SG E90 M3 | 2008 AW E90 M3 | 2004 E46 M3
Appreciate 12
ItsGary1457.50
kyippee1073.00
SYT_Shadow11479.50
inTgr8r2425.50
Iyzmi802.00
wfdeacon881105.00
xander_g991.00
L4ces337.00
      11-28-2018, 03:02 AM   #6
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW E92 M3 Dakar Edition

When did BPM start offering their new burble tune? I've had a BPM Burble Tune for almost 3 years now. Back then Mike didn't recommend it, and I had to insist that he sell it to me. 3 years on, 45k kms, many trackdays, hill runs, zero issues. I wonder what's changed with the new BPM Burble Tune.

Anyway, my 'old' BPM Burble Tune burbles at all rpm ranges. The burbles are quite loud if you let off the throttle at a higher rpm, and you can can hear it get softer as rpms drop. The burbles are not continuous - they burble for a few seconds, then stop for a second, then burble again, etc. Mike said this was to prevent overheating.

The one thing I noticed with DCT and burble tune is that DCT does not disengage when throttle is off. So when the burbles happen during deceleration, you can feel slightly less smooth engine braking because the burbles are like applying some throttle. It's nothing major and I've gotten used to it.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2018, 04:12 AM   #7
Gossypiboma
Major
Rep
Drives: 13' M3 6MT 18' M3 CS

This burble tune fad is annoying, can't wait for it to run its course.
SYT_Shadow11479.50
inTgr8r2425.50
Iyzmi802.00
EnVe461037.50
ARS1859.50
L4ces337.00
      11-28-2018, 04:47 AM   #8
amrazM
mTekMods
United_States
Rep
Drives: like a granny.

If you wanna be a scene kid get a gintani burble like everyone else.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2018, 08:51 AM   #9
jcolley
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328

Raise your hand if you have taken surface roughness measurements of an Alusil cylinder wall on an engine which ran a "burble" tune and compared it to the surface roughness measurements of a similar mileage engine that hasn't run a burble tune.

Last edited by jcolley; 11-28-2018 at 11:38 AM..
Appreciate 2
oolas3388.00
      11-28-2018, 09:37 AM   #10
yidgyi
///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3 ZCP

I've ran BPM & Gintani's burble tunes for the past 20kmiles or so. Currently on Gintani's extreme burble tune. Can't say I liked BPM's burble tune. Would only slightly burble between 4-5k rpm while increasing temps. Gintani's extreme burble tune dumps massive flames from 5-8k RPM while driving and you can spit flames at a stand still too. My temps stay the same and sometimes I see them drop if I'm doing it continuously. I think if you ask, you can get a custom file that pops between any RPM range you want.

At a show, I entered the two step competition (I know this isn't 2step but its more to see the flames if anything tbh) and after continuously revving for about a minute on and off my accelerator stopped revving past 3k but with no warning codes and temps seemed normal. I was concerned but the car still drove fine. Ran codes right after actually and nothing came up. Got me wondering if this is a fail safe if EGT got to high so you don't damage your o2 sensors. I think I've read on here somewhere that Gintani dumps low amounts of fuel, less then idle amounts and they have a fail safe so EGT don't get too high.

Is it obnoxious and ignorant? Sure. Pops are loud and you can feel it in your chest if you're about 3 car lengths away. It's not as loud inside the car, but if you drive in someone elses car while listening to it, it's like an AK47 going off. I feel bad for anyone near me but I try and limit it to where no one is around me.

As for RK-Tunes, I don't have any personal experience with them but I do follow Danny.e92 on instagram and he does pop similar flames as my Gintani tune. I'm a fan of what RK-Tunes did on their f80 M3 single turbo. As for their tune, never ran it so I don't have anything to say.

edit: I have videos on my IG showcasing the burbles. https://www.instagram.com/dre.m3/
      11-28-2018, 10:48 AM   #11
elim11
Major
Rep
Drives: e90m3

I thought at one point a long while ago BPM actually said the burble tunes are harmful, etc and didn't offer it. Did they change their mind?
      11-28-2018, 10:50 AM   #12
DameJ.M3
Young Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 BMW 135i  [0.00]
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd View Post
When did BPM start offering their new burble tune? I've had a BPM Burble Tune for almost 3 years now. Back then Mike didn't recommend it, and I had to insist that he sell it to me. 3 years on, 45k kms, many trackdays, hill runs, zero issues. I wonder what's changed with the new BPM Burble Tune.

Anyway, my 'old' BPM Burble Tune burbles at all rpm ranges. The burbles are quite loud if you let off the throttle at a higher rpm, and you can can hear it get softer as rpms drop. The burbles are not continuous - they burble for a few seconds, then stop for a second, then burble again, etc. Mike said this was to prevent overheating.

The one thing I noticed with DCT and burble tune is that DCT does not disengage when throttle is off. So when the burbles happen during deceleration, you can feel slightly less smooth engine braking because the burbles are like applying some throttle. It's nothing major and I've gotten used to it.
Quote:

I believe they started offering it in August of this year but don't quote me on that. They posted it on Instagram and in a forum on here. I understand it's not continuous but my Gintani tune wouldn't burble at all under 5k which I found to be the draw back from me truly enjoying it. If I could choose the ranges for it I would probably just have it 3500 and under.

Also I'm 6MT and haven't seen any issues with engine braking.

https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=23540781
      11-28-2018, 10:51 AM   #13
DameJ.M3
Young Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 BMW 135i  [0.00]
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3ANMACHINE View Post
Quote:

Quote:
Nice to know I guess but not very helpful. It's a personal preference. Some like it some hate it. That's been established plenty of times.
      11-28-2018, 10:58 AM   #14
DameJ.M3
Young Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 BMW 135i  [0.00]
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by yidgyi View Post
I've ran BPM & Gintani's burble tunes for the past 20kmiles or so. Currently on Gintani's extreme burble tune. Can't say I liked BPM's burble tune. Would only slightly burble between 4-5k rpm while increasing temps. Gintani's extreme burble tune dumps massive flames from 5-8k RPM while driving and you can spit flames at a stand still too. My temps stay the same and sometimes I see them drop if I'm doing it continuously. I think if you ask, you can get a custom file that pops between any RPM range you want.

At a show, I entered the two step competition (I know this isn't 2step but its more to see the flames if anything tbh) and after continuously revving for about a minute on and off my accelerator stopped revving past 3k but with no warning codes and temps seemed normal. I was concerned but the car still drove fine. Ran codes right after actually and nothing came up. Got me wondering if this is a fail safe if EGT got to high so you don't damage your o2 sensors. I think I've read on here somewhere that Gintani dumps low amounts of fuel, less then idle amounts and they have a fail safe so EGT don't get too high.

Is it obnoxious and ignorant? Sure. Pops are loud and you can feel it in your chest if you're about 3 car lengths away. It's not as loud inside the car, but if you drive in someone elses car while listening to it, it's like an AK47 going off. I feel bad for anyone near me but I try and limit it to where no one is around me.

As for RK-Tunes, I don't have any personal experience with them but I do follow Danny.e92 on instagram and he does pop similar flames as my Gintani tune. I'm a fan of what RK-Tunes did on their f80 M3 single turbo. As for their tune, never ran it so I don't have anything to say.

edit: I have videos on my IG showcasing the burbles. https://www.instagram.com/dre.m3/
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by yidgyi View Post

I was told the extreme burble might be what I was looking for when requesting to have the car burble at lower RPMs. Would you said you can get the car to burble anywhere below 5k as I have the file right before they started offering the first "flame" one.
      11-28-2018, 11:02 AM   #15
DameJ.M3
Young Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 BMW 135i  [0.00]
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by elim11 View Post
I thought at one point a long while ago BPM actually said the burble tunes are harmful, etc and didn't offer it. Did they change their mind?
Quote:
Originally Posted by elim11 View Post
https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=23540781
      11-28-2018, 11:07 AM   #16
DukeofAlexandria
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 E85 Z4 / 2013 E93 M3

Garage List
2013 BMW M3 E93  [0.00]
2007 BMW Z4 E85  [6.00]
Quote:
Nice to know I guess but not very helpful. It's a personal preference. Some like it some hate it. That's been established plenty of times.
Chiming in again because I see where this is going...

Listen, you can bash him all you want, but he's right. It's HIS car and HE likes this type of thing. I and many others might thinks it's stupid, but it's his opinion and if he wants it, then he can do whatever he'd like on HIS car.

He came here for advice/stories/experiences, I provided a link I found, gave my opinion and I was done.

If you're going to give him shit, then at least give some links to either good/bad things or places he can get this type of tune.
Appreciate 2
thak3.00
      11-28-2018, 11:09 AM   #17
DameJ.M3
Young Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 BMW 135i  [0.00]
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

Listen, you can bash him all you want, but he's right. It's HIS car and HE likes this type of thing. I and many others might thinks it's stupid, but it's his opinion and if he wants it, then he can do whatever he'd like on HIS car.

He came here for advice/stories/experiences, I provided a link I found, gave my opinion and I was done.

If you're going to give him shit, then at least give some links to either good/bad things or places he can get this type of tune.
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks you. That's all I'm asking for.
      11-28-2018, 11:23 AM   #18
Iyzmi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 6MT ESS625

Pay attention to this, OP:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcolley View Post
Raise your hand if you have taken surface roughness measurements of an Alusil cylinder wall on an engine which ran a "burble" tune and compared it to the surface roughness measurements of s similar mileage engine that hasn't run a burble tune.
The rise in popularity of burble tunes is a clear indication that the $20k E92 ricer crowd has arrived. But don't mind me, maybe I'm just getting old.
wfdeacon881105.00
L4ces337.00
Merlin_83473.50
      11-28-2018, 02:08 PM   #19
amrazM
mTekMods
United_States
Rep
Drives: like a granny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iyzmi View Post
Pay attention to this, OP:

The rise in popularity of burble tunes is a clear indication that the $20k E92 ricer crowd has arrived. But don't mind me, maybe I'm just getting old.
Let’s not forget, these motors sound really good even on deceleration with the right exhaust.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2018, 02:38 PM   #20
thompsac25
Stance to make her dance
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 M3

Product life cycle.
      11-28-2018, 03:27 PM   #21
DameJ.M3
Young Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 BMW 135i  [0.00]
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
I am fully aware of the risk. That's a chance I am willing to take. It's my money not yours. Thank you for the people that are just trying to inform me about the risks but to everyone else with the negative comments, why did you waste the time to click a thread you care nothing about? If you have nothing supportive to add on then why come and share your opinion. That's exactly why I've never taken part in any of these forums. All I see is people putting down others for wanting to be creative through THEIR car. Someone wants to change anything no matter how big or small and it turns into "that's rice, that's not what BMW recommends, BMW didn't design it that way and so on and so forth". Sorry I want to be unique and not the same as everyone else. If that's rice then so be it.
      11-28-2018, 04:52 PM   #22
bvrider1
Captain
Rep
Drives: e90 m3 + f80 zcp

I would like to have my car properly tuned to work well with the kit ..

Then insists on getting a tune that is the opposite of your own statement.

Special.....

Quote:
I am fully aware of the risk. That's a chance I am willing to take. It's my money not yours. Thank you for the people that are just trying to inform me about the risks but to everyone else with the negative comments, why did you waste the time to click a thread you care nothing about? If you have nothing supportive to add on then why come and share your opinion. That's exactly why I've never taken part in any of these forums. All I see is people putting down others for wanting to be creative through THEIR car. Someone wants to change anything no matter how big or small and it turns into "that's rice, that's not what BMW recommends, BMW didn't design it that way and so on and so forth". Sorry I want to be unique and not the same as everyone else. If that's rice then so be it.
Appreciate 0