BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > USA - California

EXXEL Distributions

11-04-2018, 01:44 PM   #1
cheweihu
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Post accident: bodyshop or alignment/tire shop?

Hi all,

Happy Sunday! Last night I was driving on 101N near San Francisco when a fellow swerved into my lane, I lost control of my car and ended up spinning on 101 before I hit the center divider and stopped the car. Good thing it was later in the night so not many cars on 101 -- they all stopped on time.

After I pulled to the other side of the shoulder I quickly inspected the damage and drove home - the steering wheel shakes pretty bad when it's highway speed (I think 50+) but feels alright on local roads - I assume the balance is off?

My questions is - should I bring my car to a body shop and have them take care of everything (most likely I will order a TE37SL and have it shipped online) or should I first fix my wheel (and make sure there's no further damage to the chassis ) at an alignment shop then hit the body shop for cosmetic fixes?

I wasn't sure if I can trust body shops with balancing/alignment/chassis stuff..

Thanks everyone and be safe on the road!

Appreciate 0
      11-04-2018, 03:02 PM   #2
Myztahe
Handy with a Set of Wrenches
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E60 M5

Glad you're alright, your safety is the most important factor here.

I can ask around for different shops, but as a general rule of thumb, start with the most inexpensive thing, then work your way up. I would recommend getting the vehicle re-aligned & wheel re-balanced, then bringing it to the body shop. If the handling issues persist, then take a deeper look at the suspension geometry & chassis.

I would highly recommend Trackspec Autosports in Fremont, as they deal with high end vehicles, are very familiar with the E9X / S65, and service a track/race-oriented clientele. This impact is more akin to something a car would experience on track, as it was interference with a fixed barrier as opposed to a vehicle-on-vehicle collision, so I think their experience would serve well here.

Tell them Eduardo sent you and they'll take care of you
      11-04-2018, 07:14 PM   #3
dfwashere
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3 Sedan 6Spd

Garage List
2008 BMW  [0.00]
Damn I might have driven by this then last night. Glad you're alright. As suggested, trackspec would be a good place to start.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2018, 09:22 AM   #4
cheweihu
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Thank y'all for the wishes! Made an appointment with Trackspec (and mentioned your name, Eduardo ) Can't wait to get it fixed!
Appreciate 0