BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

EXXEL Distributions

05-27-2014, 06:37 PM   #45
bigjae1976
Major General
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 M3 Individual

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [4.50]
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.25]
2013 BMW 328i  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiM3y View Post
It is actually fun too!

The weirdest thing is letting the steering wheel slip in your fingers and let the "momentum' point the front wheels and setting up a drift...I still don't quite trust it...but it feels really good when you get it right and it is comforting to "work with the car" to straighten out rather than fighting it with a steely grip. I have difficulty with unloading springs, but that's the fun of practising. I have progressed to doing this on an auto-X track, but hopefully I won't have to at 80mph on a full track. That means something has gone wrong...and once is enough...
Yeah, 80mph is only fun after the sesson. Not too fun while in the moment.
2000 E36/7 Z3 Steel Blue
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2014, 07:52 PM   #46
w00tw00t
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by USCTrojanMan29 View Post
Gotcha, makes sense as I've heard the following from several PCA instructors...."when in doubt stay on gas and turn the wheel where you want to go"
That's a good quote to remember!
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2014, 01:59 PM   #47
bogdan
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 911

Sounds like everyone is on the same page.

I will say this: The M3 is much more conducive to the "catch and release" steering method versus the C6Z chassis. I "think" that the Z06 has less weight, and less feedback through the steering. It's hard to boss it around like the e9x chassis and get away with it.

Once you realized that an oops took place, you reacted very well by not panicking. The early turn-in and complete lift-off at initial over-steer is what contributed to the spin. Once you passed the point of no return, how come you didn't brake? Or, does the telemetry not show that?

I have found neutral throttle to be very helpful on the C6Z chassis in these situations, too much throttle will very quickly get you in trouble (as you might know). Considering the conditions, I would have turned in later and used less throttle at the entrance to the turn. You started to over-steer before apex. Also, you did start to saw the wheel back and forth initially, almost like you were trying to deal with understeer..just an observation.

I know that someone mentioned engine rpm not really being a factor, but with the LS7, at 2500 rpm you're sending close to 400lb/ft of torque through the rear wheels. It makes it "interesting" to accelerate in the wet sometimes.

edit: The Z actually has about 8 degrees of caster..
My dog swallowed my FOB. Luckily it was Comfort Access so I could still drive the car. Of course I had to take him with me everywhere and every time he rolled over the windows went down.

Last edited by bogdan; 06-06-2014 at 08:27 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2014, 11:05 PM   #48
w00tw00t
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdan View Post
Sounds like everyone is on the same page.

I will say this: The M3 is much more conducive to the "catch and release" steering method versus the C6Z chassis. I "think" that the Z06 has less caster, less weight, and less feedback through the steering. It's hard to boss it around like the e9x chassis and get away with it.

Once you realized that an oops took place, you reacted very well by not panicking. The early turn-in and complete lift-off at initial over-steer is what contributed to the spin. Once you passed the point of no return, how come you didn't brake? Or, does the telemetry not show that?

I have found neutral throttle to be very helpful on the C6Z chassis in these situations, too much throttle will very quickly get you in trouble (as you might know). Considering the conditions, I would have turned in later and used less throttle at the entrance to the turn. You started to over-steer before apex. Also, you did start to saw the wheel back and forth initially, almost like you were trying to deal with understeer..just an observation.

I know that someone mentioned engine rpm not really being a factor, but with the LS7, at 2500 rpm you're sending close to 400lb/ft of torque through the rear wheels. It makes it "interesting" to accelerate in the wet sometimes.
Good feedback! My telemetry doesn't report brake data. I actually had both feet in once I knew I was spinning like on ice!
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2014, 01:34 PM   #49
dakarm3
Rico Suave....
Rep
Drives: 99M3, 97M3, 04 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by w00tw00t View Post
I was thinking of the PCA Bremerton skills day - I believe they use a water tanker to wet the skid pad. I will check with Carl.
The BMW Pugetsound chapter also have a Car Control day at Bremerton as well. If you want to practice, get out to K1speed and do it once a month to practice catching the kart.

When I in Seattle in 07, I think the kart track was being built at PR. If you need to fine tune your driving skills, karting is where it's at.
Appreciate 0