BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 Photos/Video/Media Gallery

European Auto Source (EAS)

09-04-2020, 04:03 PM   #1
94jedi
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 e92 M3

Hey all - Been out for a while but I'm back in the e9x game. It's been almost 2 years since I sold my slicktop manual e90 which I regretted from the moment the new owner drove it away. I sold it because I was "seduced" by the power of an F10 M5. About 6 months after selling the e90, I found the perfect F10 M5, low miles, already tuned w/ a Stage 1 Dinan, CPO, Monte Carlo Blue. Amazing car no doubt, but it took that car to teach me that power isn't everything and that engagement, experience, and what you feel while driving, is. So despite loving the M5, after a couple of months, I realized I wanted another e9x M3. Although I know E90's are more rare, I began the search for a low-optioned, near "stripper" e92. What can I say, I've always wanted the carbon fiber roof. So after several months searching, multiple WTB threads and scouring autotempest daily, I found a car. It's definitely not THE CAR, it's NOT a low-optioned stripper, but these cars are increasingly more difficult to find so I definitely "settled" on a few things. With that said, I'm going to enjoy "restoring", perfecting, and driving this car for a while before I continue the search for a "unicorn" (at least that's the plan for now). Looking forward to being an active member again and checking in on the guys that helped with my e90, derbo ItsGary BOOF-M3. So without further ado, here are some current pics, plans and some of the "LOVE" this car needs to be brought back to OEM+ spec.

*Edit: Plans for the car as of 10/16/2020 - This will be my fun/weekend/track toy; need it to have decent road manners, enough for me to occasionally drive it to work or around town and still be focused enough for weekend track events and HPDE's.

Engine/trans:
-Tune (thinking Epic MS here)
-Karbonius Intake Plenum (want a plenum that actually makes power, even if minimal).
-MS Stg II Intake (had this on my e90 M3 and loved it)
-MS Pulleys (had these on my e90 M3 a)
-Autosolutions SSK; unless there's a decent chassis-mount option available these days that looks more OEM
-Ultimate Clutch Pedal
-OEM sachs clutch (prob won't need this until 150k miles or more)

Exhaust:
-Thinking about headers but not too sure about this...anyone have any input?
-BW X-pipe; likely resonated and maybe sport-catted.
-OEM Exhaust; I just prefer the look. Need to get rid of the ActiveAutowerke on there now.

Suspension:
-Thinking Ohlins R&T here, given the suggestions/intended use.
-GC Camber plates
-Upgraded OEM components as needed

Brakes:
-Stoptech ST60/40 Kit...Unless there's a better option/value for the weekend warrior, I think I've made up my mind on this.

Wheels/Tires:
-18" or 19" EC-7's or ARC-8's. Not sure yet. Also not sure if I want to run a square setup on the street...
-Tires...tough one here; my go to is the MPS 4s, but I think I want a bit more for the track...Any suggestions?

Interior:
-Front seats - not looking to go crazy but the seating position in the e9x M3 isn't ideal, even compared to my F10 M5. I'm able to get so much lower in the M5; looking for the same in the M3. Sportsters may be the way to go.

Exterior: I would like a GTS lip like the one in the GB...but that's a bit of a luxury at this point.

The day I brought her home: 2009 E92 M3, Alpine White, 6-speed manual, carbon fiber roof, Black Novillo leather, Ind. Audio (and Nav) and Carbon Structure trim.
Attached Images

Last edited by 94jedi; 10-16-2020 at 10:00 AM.. Reason: pics
Appreciate 6
      09-05-2020, 11:13 AM   #2
94jedi
Major
United_States
Rep

Over the last few weeks, I've been identifying issues with the car that need to be addressed. Some of these are just basic maintenance items, some are more involved, while others are just me being "ocd" about little things and wanting to bring the car back to a state of near perfection (will never happen but it's fun to try).

First things first, I did what I call a shakedown wash. The point is to wash the car and identify any blemishes, dings, scuffs, scratches, etc that need to be addressed. As part of this process, I had to remove a sticker on the windshield a non-oem badge on the trunk lid (yea they did that) and a front bumper license plate holder. Why people (dealers or owners) drill directly into a front bumper will always escape me. Will post more details about the initial wash shortly...
Attached Images

09-05-2020, 10:52 PM   #3
JBird..
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3

This quote "power isn't everything and that engagement, experience, and what you feel while driving, is." Nothing sums up these cars better than this. Enjoy the new ride!
Appreciate 3
      09-06-2020, 11:10 AM   #4
94jedi
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jczeffer View Post
This quote "power isn't everything and that engagement, experience, and what you feel while driving, is." Nothing sums up these cars better than this. Enjoy the new ride!
Thanks man! It really is what makes these cars special. There aren't many other cars out there that provide the combo that the e9x M3 does. Before buying this car, I looked at Caymans of all different years and engines. Some were marginally better, but not a better "bang for the buck". Like I said, the M5 is stupid fast, but I guess in my old age, I've learned that speed/fun is relative.
      09-07-2020, 07:12 AM   #5
94jedi
Major
United_States
Rep

First few orders started rolling in a couple of weeks ago...lots more to come...
Attached Images

09-07-2020, 07:57 AM   #6
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

welcome back to the club. i don't think i've ever seen so many people on any forum come back to a car as much as i have for the e9x m3. these cars are special.
Space Fox1042.00
swanlake178.00
      09-07-2020, 08:27 AM   #7
94jedi
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
welcome back to the club. i don't think i've ever seen so many people on any forum come back to a car as much as i have for the e9x m3. these cars are special.
Thanks roastbeef !!! Definitely going to be chatting w/ you about my build. The goal will be a very OEM+ look but track/hpde capable a few times a year.

These are very special cars indeed. Like I said, I looked for a while, I drove F8x's, M2, Caymans, Mustangs Camaros etc...all have their good and bad, but I haven't found anything that provides the thrill of the e9x platform. I will always own one of these cars.
      09-07-2020, 09:00 AM   #8
94jedi
Major
United_States
Rep

Carved out some time this past weekend to get a few things done...

(some of the pics attached out of order)

1. Replaced the terrible faux cf grills with oem Blk/chrome grills: Needless to say, the area around the grills was nasty and the black plastic pieces behind the grills were terribly faded. I used CarPro Eraser to get rid of the surface dirt then used Chemical Guys Butter Wax to get rid of the stains around the edges. Next, I used CG VRP to restore the black plastic behind grills. I even cleaned inside the where the clips go. As you can see, one of the clip holes was bent because the previous owner didn't install the grills properly. I had to use a heat gun to heat it up and bend it back into shape. After that, install was perfect.
2. Replaced the failing cf mirror covers with oem AW covers.
Attached Images

Last edited by 94jedi; 09-07-2020 at 05:18 PM..
Appreciate 2
      09-07-2020, 11:42 AM   #9
94jedi
Major
United_States
Rep

...More continued...

3. Replaced cabin filters (omg the ones in there were so gross).

4. Replaced the paper filter with an AFE filter. I will eventually moved to a MS Stg 2 intake like I had on my e90; seems to be the best intake out there for a decent price. Eventually I'll pair that w/ a Karbonious Plenum.

5. Replaced wiper blades with oem Bosch blades. Just simple maintenance. On the drive home after buying it, the wipers streaked like crazy. Also used Chemical Guys VRP on the plastic wiper arm covers and the metal arms. Gave them a nice deep black matte finish.
Attached Images

Last edited by 94jedi; 09-07-2020 at 05:24 PM..
Appreciate 1
      09-07-2020, 11:44 AM   #10
94jedi
Major
United_States
Rep

Continued...

6. Detailed and cleaned the engine bay and cowl areas. Pretty self-explanatory here; Although the car was garage kept, the prev. owners were not enthusiasts so there's no way they ever cleaned out the engine bay. I removed the air box and cleaned everything underneath, valve covers, used CG VRP on all the black plastic pieces and vacuumed out a ton of crud from the engine bay.
Attached Images

Last edited by 94jedi; 09-07-2020 at 05:24 PM..
Appreciate 1
      09-07-2020, 05:29 PM   #11
94jedi
Major
United_States
Rep

Finally got around the replacing the 3-piece undertray and the wheel speed sensor that was throwing a code. Both incredibly easy jobs; hardest part was ensure the car was jacked up safely and properly.
Attached Images

09-08-2020, 12:48 AM   #12
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94jedi View Post
Thanks roastbeef !!! Definitely going to be chatting w/ you about my build. The goal will be a very OEM+ look but track/hpde capable a few times a year.

These are very special cars indeed. Like I said, I looked for a while, I drove F8x's, M2, Caymans, Mustangs Camaros etc...all have their good and bad, but I haven't found anything that provides the thrill of the e9x platform. I will always own one of these cars.
i'll say it again, i'm just an idiot with a thread checker, a hole puncher, and too much time on my hands, but ask away. lol
      09-09-2020, 10:22 AM   #13
94jedi
Major
United_States
Rep

Easy one last night - gas cap was generally cruddy and the tether had been cut...simple swap from FCP euro.
Attached Images

09-09-2020, 04:02 PM   #14
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

I'm late to the party to welcome you back but Welcome Back!!
Track Chat Discord: https://discord.gg/VsKbTyqBVj
SF Bay Area: DM For coding services
Appreciate 1
94jedi829.00
      09-10-2020, 11:20 AM   #15
94jedi
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
i'll say it again, i'm just an idiot with a thread checker, a hole puncher, and too much time on my hands, but ask away. lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by derbo View Post
I'm late to the party to welcome you back but Welcome Back!!
Gents - Any thoughts on suspension? derbo you'll recall I did the ZCP conversion w/ all new hardware on my e90 but I'm looking for more out of this build. Although this isn't my daily, my intention is similar to what you've done to your e90. Either of you guys have any recommendations? Maybe in a "stepped" or phased approach?
      09-10-2020, 04:14 PM   #16
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep

Quote:
Gents - Any thoughts on suspension? derbo you'll recall I did the ZCP conversion w/ all new hardware on my e90 but I'm looking for more out of this build. Although this isn't my daily, my intention is similar to what you've done to your e90. Either of you guys have any recommendations? Maybe in a "stepped" or phased approach?
If your goal is like mine: proper road manners while track focused, Ohlins R&T would probably fit the bill. Hell, maybe even the B16 Damptronics if you want to keep EDC. MCS is a bit overkill for most including myself.
Appreciate 1
94jedi829.00
      09-10-2020, 05:17 PM   #17
94jedi
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
If your goal is like mine: proper road manners while track focused, Ohlins R&T would probably fit the bill. Hell, maybe even the B16 Damptronics if you want to keep EDC. MCS is a bit overkill for most including myself.
Thanks, was thinking ohlins r&t as well.
      09-10-2020, 05:55 PM   #18
AnotherM3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 AW e92 M3

Welcome back! I've contemplated selling mine, but I I know I will regret it. It's nice seeing people come back to the e9x platform.

Everyone is saying my son who is only 16 months is going to be one lucky guy when he can drive 😂

Thanks for the posts and pics, reminds me I need to spend some time "restoring" my M3 as well.
      09-10-2020, 06:54 PM   #19
wyatth
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 ZCP

Nice pickup, congrats! Car looks to be in great hands, I enjoy seeing these rejuve threads!
Appreciate 1
94jedi829.00
      09-10-2020, 08:33 PM   #20
94jedi
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherM3 View Post
Welcome back! I've contemplated selling mine, but I I know I will regret it. It's nice seeing people come back to the e9x platform.

Everyone is saying my son who is only 16 months is going to be one lucky guy when he can drive ��

Thanks for the posts and pics, reminds me I need to spend some time "restoring" my M3 as well.
That's a trend I'm seeing all over. Most people leave the e9x platform for more power, more luxury, etc. but most of the come back, or at least, buy an e9x as a "fun car" as I've done. I've watched the market over the last year or so - let me tell you, finding a 6spd manual w/ a CF roof for a decent price, reasonable miles and well cared for isn't easy. As I mentioned, I was initially looking for a stripper but those proved to be even more elusive. For now, I'm happy to have this car, restore it, have fun, and maybe sell it to an enthusiast down the line. In fact, I may change my screen name to @m3rescue lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyatth View Post
Nice pickup, congrats! Car looks to be in great hands, I enjoy seeing these rejuve threads!
Thanks man! you're one of the OG's too! did you ever pick up that Karbonious plenum in the GB a couple of years back? I was on the list but backed out due to the sale of my e90. Well, If I keep this car long term, I'll definitely add that plenum!
      09-10-2020, 09:02 PM   #21
AR_Motorwerkz
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F82 M4, BMW WIDEBODY F13

Great job so far! Any future mods in mind?
Appreciate 1
94jedi829.00
      09-11-2020, 12:55 AM   #22
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Thanks, was thinking ohlins r&t as well.
I think it's a good start. Otherwise eibachs on zcp dampeners are also a good cheaper choice of you don't plan to track it very much.
Appreciate 1
94jedi829.00