BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

BPM

10-27-2021, 06:00 PM   #23
M3R1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: ///M2cs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headhunter.M3 View Post
How does your m2 CS compare to the 18 ss 1le you had? I have read the m2 CS is incredible. Is yours a manual or dual clutch?
Good question. Handling the M2cs is as good as the SS1LE, or you could say the SS1LE is as good as the M2cs. The M2cs is a little faster.

The SS1LE was a mind blowingly good performance car. Search all the reviews on YouTube as they pertain to its performance, all are true. Also read listen to all of the reviews pertaining to the visibility, also true. I owned a highly modified 5th gen Camaro SS (FBO and cam) and it was less confining than the 6th gen. I simply did not like to be in the 6th gen. The M2cs is literally the perfect size car and is a wonderful place the be.

As purely a performance car for the money, the SS1LE is VERY hard to beat.

The M2cs checks all the boxes for me, there is currently no other car I would rather have.

Last edited by M3R1; 11-03-2021 at 11:41 PM..
Appreciate 1
      11-03-2021, 11:15 AM   #24
Headhunter.M3
I wanna go fast
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 ZCP

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3R1 View Post
Good question. Handling the M2cs is as good as the SS1LE, or you could say the SS1LE is as good as the M2cs. The M2cs is a little faster.

The SS1LE was a mind blowingly good performance car. Search all the reviews on YouTube as they pertain to its performance, all are true. Also read listen to all of the reviews pertaining to the visibility, also true. I owned a highly modified (FBO and cam) and it was less confining than the 6th gen. I simply did not like to be it it. The M2cs is literally the perfect size car and is a wonderful place the be.

The M2cs checks all the boxes for me, there is currently no other car I would rather have.

Wow sounds amazing. Would love to drive a M2Cs or even a competition. Never had the chance!!! Thanks for sharing. You are a lucky man to have driven such awesome cars. Another car I would love to get, if ever created, is the new Supra but with a Manual and T Top. If that ever comes out I think I would be tempted to buy that or atleast go test drive!!
Appreciate 1
M3R12168.50
      11-03-2021, 03:17 PM   #25
M3R1
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Wow sounds amazing. Would love to drive a M2Cs or even a competition. Never had the chance!!! Thanks for sharing. You are a lucky man to have driven such awesome cars. Another car I would love to get, if ever created, is the new Supra but with a Manual and T Top. If that ever comes out I think I would be tempted to buy that or atleast go test drive!!
I do feel lucky to have owned such cars. There have been many more as well. I have never been a fan of cars with 2 seats and I am a manual guy so cars like Supra (don't care for the looks), Corvette Z06, Cayman GT4, etc. are out.

My last four cars have been top of the food chain performance levels, the SS 1LE and M2CS are both very good at what they were intended to do.
      11-03-2021, 11:40 PM   #26
M3R1
Colonel
Rep

I edited my post (#24) for clarity. Looks like I did not proof read before I replied.
      11-04-2021, 10:00 AM   #27
Headhunter.M3
I wanna go fast
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
I wonder what the new Caddy CT4 Blackwing would be like eith a manual? So its on the alpha chassis. Twin turbo. Sedan. Ever driven one?
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2021, 11:08 AM   #28
Ajolives
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Garage List
2019 Audi SQ5  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Anyone have a convertible? I want my next project to be one (Sunny Florida) and I had a black ZL1 vert rumble by me one day and it made a lasting impression.
Appreciate 1
      11-04-2021, 11:59 AM   #29
M3R1
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I wonder what the new Caddy CT4 Blackwing would be like eith a manual? So its on the alpha chassis. Twin turbo. Sedan. Ever driven one?
Nothing against the Caddy, however something about the styling doesn't work for me. I have read good things, just not for me...
      11-05-2021, 02:26 PM   #30
94jedi
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 e92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3R1 View Post

The SS1LE was a mind blowingly good performance car. Search all the reviews on YouTube as they pertain to its performance, all are true. Also read listen to all of the reviews pertaining to the visibility, also true. I owned a highly modified 5th gen Camaro SS (FBO and cam) and it was less confining than the 6th gen. I simply did not like to be in the 6th gen. The M2cs is literally the perfect size car and is a wonderful place the be.

So knowing these platforms as well as you do - For a non-daily (weekend/occasional track car) what would be your pick between an 18-19 SS 1LE vs a M2 Comp? Both manual...?
      11-05-2021, 03:30 PM   #31
M3R1
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94jedi View Post
So knowing these platforms as well as you do - For a non-daily (weekend/occasional track car) what would be your pick between an 18-19 SS 1LE vs a M2 Comp? Both manual...?
I would encourage you watch this:

Between the two, the SS1LE has a better chassis and suspension (stock for stock). If the emphasis is on faster lap times, likely most big tracks would favor the SS. Perhaps tighter tracks would level the playing field a bit. The higher speed stability is where the SS really shines.

The comp is probably 9/10 of the camaro stock but can be made better with a more sorted suspension (enter M2cs). The M2cs suspension settles the car down a bit, so I would expect a good set of coilovers would do the same.

If money is not a factor and fun on track is the most important characteristic then the M2c would be my choice. They will both can make you giggle and get you in trouble on the street. We are comparing cars with enormous ability, much higher than can be safely exploited on the street. Both are similar in speed.

There is no comparison when it comes to which car you would rather be in. The BMW is just a perfect mix of old school and modern tech, the camaro is definitely the best GM has done with the nameplate. For the record I have had 6 camaro Z28/SS's so I should know.

I know this is a BMW site, but I have been as unbiased as possible. I grew up with camaro's and they have a special place in my heart.

In short M2c all day... Sorry GM, we had a good run...
      11-09-2021, 07:47 PM   #32
MPG_LOL
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 6MT

Quote:
Test drove one of these the other day. I was absolutely blown away, went ahead and ordered one and am contemplating selling my m3. I have had mustangs too, even a gt350, the camaro blew it away in my opinion. It's the torque and the manliness of it, also the low seating position. All in all, I was very surprised and impressed and don't think the camaro should be compared to a mustang, being a 911 owner it reminded me more of that than a mustang. Incredibly impressed. Anyone else have any experience with a camaro?

I ordered mine with a sunroof as the test car did not have one. It was very claustrophobic. I would never buy a camaro without a sunroof. Felt like a submarine or cough coffin cough without a sunroof but still all that instant torque, sound, incredible handling, the ELSD, wow. I have never been this excited to drive any car.

I think it also has to do with the price and maintenance. Something about being able to pick up oil and a filter at walmart for 60 bucks and have service done at an honest chevy dealer is a breath a fresh air. VERY VERY impressed. Go order one before they stop making them! May be last year, 2023 is not confirmed as of yet!!
Enjoy the ride!

I picked up the budget V8 LT1 trim as a daily with the A10. The acceleration is in another league compared to the E92. Even without the eLSD, mag ride, and bigger brakes of 1LE my LT1 is a weapon. Driving position is excellent. The body motions are well controlled without a harsh ride, the steering is quick and natural, balance is neutral, and brakes are strong/progressive. I'm sure a 1LE is even more of a riot- but if you aren't tracking it, 1LE is overkill for the street. And it gets 30mpg on the highway. What more can you want! The 6 gen Camaros kick ass. First time I drove the e92 after the camaro I thought the bmw was broken due to the lack of torque.

Cons for the camaro are the usability, the back seats are not for humans and the visibility isnt great, if you have driven more exotic cars it wont be an issue. The truck has decent space but the opening is awkwardly small. The BMW interior is better but the chevy isnt bad considering the price and amazing performance.

2021 Camaro LT1 A10. the DD- Torque baby!
Appreciate 1
      02-14-2022, 12:25 AM   #33
BimmerMan33
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW M3, 2014 BMW X5

Have had 2 e9x M3s MT which were tracked 5 to 7 times a year and used year around in all kinds of Midwest weather.. Now have a 2020 Camaro 2SS 1LE MT, I have to say, the chassis is fantastic & coupled with GM's Magnetic ride suspension (standard on 1LE), the comfort/ride/handling balance is superb, very sporty but never harsh - this alone makes it way better than any M product past or present!
Now coming to the 6.2 NA V8, makes good torque at all rpms & is very linear in addition to sounding very good.. Of course it's a different kind of sound, you hear all exhaust and no intake sound whereas the E9x M3 has a distinct intake sound which is almost exotic.. never gets old.
The Camaro V8 does not rev as quick as M3, that's when you feel the M3's engine to be so special… Camaro V8 does not feel special & after a while you realize that it's fundamentally shared across the GM lineup (not a bad thing at all)… but also costs 40% less than M3.
On the track.. the 1LE is clearly faster, more enjoyable & more confidence inspiring than the E9x M3.
The Camaro SS 1LE is the only new car option at this time if you're looking for a sporty car that can double as DD and track car with a NA V8 & Manual transmission!

Just my opinion..
Appreciate 3
      03-07-2022, 08:55 PM   #34
Headhunter.M3
I wanna go fast
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerMan33 View Post
Have had 2 e9x M3s MT which were tracked 5 to 7 times a year and used year around in all kinds of Midwest weather.. Now have a 2020 Camaro 2SS 1LE MT, I have to say, the chassis is fantastic & coupled with GM's Magnetic ride suspension (standard on 1LE), the comfort/ride/handling balance is superb, very sporty but never harsh - this alone makes it way better than any M product past or present!
Now coming to the 6.2 NA V8, makes good torque at all rpms & is very linear in addition to sounding very good.. Of course it's a different kind of sound, you hear all exhaust and no intake sound whereas the E9x M3 has a distinct intake sound which is almost exotic.. never gets old.
The Camaro V8 does not rev as quick as M3, that's when you feel the M3's engine to be so special… Camaro V8 does not feel special & after a while you realize that it's fundamentally shared across the GM lineup (not a bad thing at all)… but also costs 40% less than M3.
On the track.. the 1LE is clearly faster, more enjoyable & more confidence inspiring than the E9x M3.
The Camaro SS 1LE is the only new car option at this time if you're looking for a sporty car that can double as DD and track car with a NA V8 & Manual transmission!

Just my opinion..
Just took delivery of my ss 1le. Totally agree with you. The camaro is amazing but the e92 is more special. I wouldnt say better but its more my taste. Going to try and trade for one on carvana ha
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2022, 02:24 AM   #35
MPG_LOL
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 6MT

Quote:
Just took delivery of my ss 1le. Totally agree with you. The camaro is amazing but the e92 is more special. I wouldnt say better but its more my taste. Going to try and trade for one on carvana ha
How's 1LE ownership? Do you like it so far?

2021 Camaro LT1 A10. the DD- Torque baby!
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2022, 04:13 PM   #36
Headhunter.M3
I wanna go fast
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPG_LOL View Post
How's 1LE ownership? Do you like it so far?
I like it.... I really do. The sunroof is nice. It definitely helps the claustraphobia of the camaro and a helmet will fit under it. It definitely performs better than an e92. The torque is very nice and handling is incredible. Very fast. Theres something fun about being able to pull up next to almost anything on the road and hold your own or smoke it. Thats good ol american fun.

However.. My wife hates it. And at the end of the day the e92 is just more fun. Dual clutch or manual. Also the paint on the camaro sucks. Its already got chips and scratches from who knows what. Fragile paint.

I would get the camaro over a shelby or mustang GT but theres something about the e92. Its so balanced. Easy to drive. 8400 rpm.

Camaro is a beast. E92 is an angel.
Appreciate 1
MPG_LOL78.00
      04-04-2022, 06:45 AM   #37
nycplumber
Major
Rep
Drives: slow

Camaro seems like a good car to track if you wanna keep your m3 on the road.
Appreciate 1
      11-11-2023, 04:43 PM   #38
414bhp
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, CTS-V, AMG GT S, Tesla

Quote:
Camaro is a beast. E92 is an angel.
Well said!
      02-16-2024, 08:14 PM   #39
BimmerMan33
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW M3, 2014 BMW X5

It’s been a while since I had the Camaro SS 1LE..
For anyone comparing it with e92 M3, I’d like to share my thoughts for a 2nd time since I’ve sold the Camaro and am back in a e92 M3 MT.
If track use is a priority, Camaro clearly makes more sense. It’s handling, acceleration & braking are better than e92 M3 while being very reliable with track use & cheaper maintenence!
If street use is a priority with occasional tracking, I’d go with the e92 M3!
M3 is more fun on the street, it’s engine feels & sounds special (never gets old) where as Chevy V8 sounds good but not special! For daily driving, M3 has way better visibility than Camaro. Also M3 beats Camaro on space, M3 has a larger trunk & fits 2 normal sized adults in the back seat comfortably!
The M3 is way less reliable and will need significant time & efforts/money to maintain which can be frustrating at times but to me it feels worth it..
Appreciate 1
MPG_LOL78.00