BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Closed Thread

08-29-2012, 01:32 PM   #89
tibra1
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 ZCP M3 - 2007 335i crashd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edjay View Post
Does it has to have a next? thats better than now? If I buy my kid something I dont expect him to ask for something better next time. I expect him to take care and cherish the shit I just bought him.

How can you say that this 23 yo will have a shitier car since his parents will not buy him one anymore. For all we know he will do good in life that he can buy himself a bugati on his 30th birthday.

Serriously I think after a parent have raised and spent the last 16years with his or her kid, I think they should be able to tell if that kid can handle a car like that.

my oldest is 13 now, when he was 11 he earned his first car, crx. Few weeks later I bought him a swap for xmass. He learned how to drive that car. (parking lot at work) I think he would be responsible enough to drive my M3. On the other hand my 8 year old boy, I can see him being trouble around cars (probably took after me). He wont be getting anything fast when he gets a license.
Bottom line is no first time "kid" should be recieving a hi-end car such as this..and all this "au shucks.. he's a good kid with good grades" is just nonsense. It is just the parents way of justifing spoiling their kids..With an M3 at 23 the incentive to pursure a better car or better job or better everything is diminished..why work hard when you are just given stuff in life?

I was a "good kid" from an affluent family..but we're old school and dont believe in rewarding kids for doing what every other kid in this world should automatically be doing ...going to school and getting good grades..its not a matter of hating on wealthy people or any of that..its a question of being responsible and promoting ambition in your children..any parent who would buy their children a high-end car like this is doing the opposite..Its not the kids fault its the parents
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2012, 01:35 PM   #90
Majdnoon
Welek Ya Kelb
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1998 E36 M3 Coupe

Wow. The level of hate and jealousy in this thread is killing me. Let me start off by saying I'm 20. My parents are well off, but my first car was a base model Jetta. And honestly I'm glad, because I probably wouldn't have been able to handle an M3 at my age.
Yes, I was very mature, studious, and was NOT a risk taker at that age. But the fact that you've NEVER driven before in your LIFE, and then your parents give you a 400+hp car (RWD too, as if 400hp was bad enough by itself) means it'll be VERY easy for you to wrap yourself around a pole. I know you can wrap yourself around a pole in a Corolla, and I know that someone who is 45 can total their car by driving recklessly, regardless of them having a Ferrari or a Fiat. But its EASIER for someone with no experience at all to kill themselves/others in an M3 than a 100hp base Jetta.
Regardless of how mature or careful you were at that age, you HAVE to admit that not many people who had never set foot in the drivers side of a car would be able to handle a 400hp M3 at 16. So I got a slow, safe Jetta.

I think that hey, if the family has the money, there's no reason that they shouldn't get their kid a nice car. It is THEIR money. But they should get them a nice car they can actually handle, like a Jetta, Corolla, Focus, etc.
And for all the people saying that kids these days don't know the value of money, well learning to appreciate the value of money is important, but you can (and should) teach it to your child much earlier than 16, and if you haven't taught your kid the value of money by 16, thats a pretty bad omen.

Last edited by Majdnoon; 08-29-2012 at 04:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2012, 01:39 PM   #91
Templar
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majdnoon View Post
On a side note, I personally think that for about the first year or so, maybe more or less, your kid should get a total piece of junk. Something that breaks down all the time and needs to be fixed constantly, in order to teach your kid how to work on and fix up their car.
Yes, that's exactly what I want.

Every time my kid goes on a trip, I want him to be stuck on the side of the road fixing his car... I'm sure my kid will appreciate that!

08-29-2012, 01:42 PM   #92
Majdnoon
Welek Ya Kelb
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1998 E36 M3 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Templar View Post
Yes, that's exactly what I want.

Every time my kid goes on a trip, I want him to be stuck on the side of the road fixing his car... I'm sure my kid will appreciate that!

Like I said, "Yeah I know there are better ways to teach your kid how to work on cars, but *no one ever took the time to teach me* and all the autoshop classes at school were always taken. So that's how *I* learned, lol. And it was a pretty damn effective way to learn if I'm honest."

EDIT: Eh, I just realized that this might not be the smartest idea... haha. I think the reason why this worked so well for me was because I had my Base Jetta to fall back on when my E36 gave me problems. It'd suck to have to drive around in the E36 every day. So I guess That if you've got the money, hey why not get your kid a nice car, just one they can actually handle, like a Jetta, Corolla, Focus, etc. And then to get your kid to learn to work on cars, get yourself a cheap project car that you can beat up and restore, and use to teach your child how to work on a car haha

Last edited by Majdnoon; 08-29-2012 at 01:55 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2012, 02:21 PM   #93
IFX
Banned
Rep
Drives: AW e46M/N54

Quote:
Originally Posted by tibra1 View Post
Bottom line is no first time "kid" should be recieving a hi-end car such as this..and all this "au shucks.. he's a good kid with good grades" is just nonsense. It is just the parents way of justifing spoiling their kids..With an M3 at 23 the incentive to pursure a better car or better job or better everything is diminished..why work hard when you are just given stuff in life?

I was a "good kid" from an affluent family..but we're old school and dont believe in rewarding kids for doing what every other kid in this world should automatically be doing ...going to school and getting good grades..its not a matter of hating on wealthy people or any of that..its a question of being responsible and promoting ambition in your children..any parent who would buy their children a high-end car like this is doing the opposite..Its not the kids fault its the parents

I have to disagree. My first car wasn't an M3 but my parents my bought me an FX35 at 18. It wasn't what I really wanted, but i was excited anyway. Sold it a year later and they helped me with my e46M3. Some kids do know the value of money, including myself. To say that just because a kid gets everything he wants and won't strive for the better things in life is ridiculous.

You say this also leads to lack of ambition, so what would you say if I told you I sold my e46M3 to use it as a downpayment on real-estate? What then?
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2012, 02:23 PM   #94
tibra1
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IFX View Post
I have to disagree. My first car wasn't an M3 but my parents my bought me an FX35 at 18. It wasn't what I really wanted, but i was excited anyway. Sold it a year later and they helped me with my e46M3. Some kids do know the value of money, including myself. To say that just because a kid gets everything he wants and won't strive for the better things in life is ridiculous.

You say this also leads to lack of ambition, so what would you say if I told you I sold my e46M3 to use it as a downpayment on real-estate? What then?
Then that makes you the exception not the rule...What is ridculous is buying a $60K car for your child b/c they are a good kid. I stand by this.

EDIT: I drove nothing but used beaters until I was 27 b/c I wanted to buy real estate before a car. At 25 I bought a condo almost free and clear..I wouldnt have been able to stay focused on that goal if my parents had distracted me with a shiny new car..who knowing me at that age..would have promptly wrapped around a pole..
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2012, 02:23 PM   #95
LarThaL
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILSMKU View Post
Sorry you feel that way. I guess Im a 16yr old dick.

Im far from jealous... I can afford a much nicer car than a M3. I can afford to buy my son a much nicer car than a M3.

I refuse to hinder my sons ability to be a man and buy one on his own. You got to pay to play. Getting a free ride is just that. It teaches you NOTHING. You grow up not understanding the value of the dollar. And when kids that parents buy these cars for grow up and actually become adults, they get a swift kick in the head when they realize REAL WORLD life isnt like mommy and daddy made it for them growing up. Unless of course they are still attached to the nipple at 37.
COULDN'T AGREE MORE!!!! The job of parenting is to teach and prepare your children for life as independent adults themselves, and not to coddle them excessively. Just because one has the means, doesn't mean it is in your child's best interest to have excessive material goods handed to them at a young age. If one has wealth, then by all means, don't get your kid a shit box, but something like a new Honda Civic is perfectly reasonable.
      08-29-2012, 02:32 PM   #96
Edjay
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 AW, 76 2002

Quote:

This is your opinion and your thinking. Maybe in your youth if you were given an M3 in life you would turn out to be a bum, depending on handouts. Lost your interest in getting a better life for yourself.

I was given almost anything I wanted as a kid growing up. I knew what my parents could afford so I never asked too much. But not once I lost the thrive to do better in life, not once I said Im happy with handouts

You tell me, whats wrong with buying my kid what he wants if I feel he deserves it. Dont just say its wrong, dont say he will kill himself, grow up as a bum. I didnt. Give a logic explanation.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2012, 02:34 PM   #97
LarThaL
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Let us look at this another way:

How is at all beneficial for a parent to give a child a car like an M3 at 16?
      08-29-2012, 02:34 PM   #98
tibra1
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
This is your opinion and your thinking. Maybe in your youth if you were given an M3 in life you would turn out to be a bum, depending on handouts. Lost you interest in getting a better life for yourself.

I was given almost anything I wanted as a kid growing up. I knew what my parents could afford so I never asked too much. But not once I lost the thrive to do better in life, not once I said Im happy with and outs.

You tell me, whats wrong with buying my kid what he wants if I feel he deserves it. Dont just say its wrong, dont say he will kill himself, grow up as a bum. I didnt. Give a logic explanation.
I think I explanied my position quite well in the posts above..If you dont agree with it that's you perrogative..Raise your kids your way..I will raise mine my way. Simple
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2012, 02:38 PM   #99
tibra1
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarThaL View Post
Let us look at this another way:

How is at all beneficial for a parent to give a child a car like an M3 at 16?
You sir are TOO logical for this forum..finally someone who gets it..

It is no benefit for the child..it only placates the parents and makes "feel" like they are doing right in spoiling their kids..or maybe gives them bragging rights to other parents "Hey look what I bought my little Johnny..hehe"..

In the end all it is...is a distraction for the kids and doesnt foster any positive re-inforcement or sense of doing for oneself
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2012, 02:40 PM   #100
Edjay
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I think I explanied my position quite well in the posts above..If you dont agree with it that's you perrogative..Raise your kids your way..I will raise mine my way. Simple
Yes, but some of you guys are saying, parents are wrong for buying an expensive car. Im not saying your wrong for not doing it. I want to know why is it so wrong? Sure there are some that will grow up spoiled rotten, but for everyone of those there will be some that grows up rotten because he saw his parents with nice things and he couldnt have any. It really becomes on how you raised your kid. The relationship you build with your kid from day 1.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2012, 02:46 PM   #101
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Double Vanos'd Civic-M3

as a parent it's all about balance. Reward and incentives should always be part of parenting as it is part of real life. But one shouldn't take it too far. Here's my situation:

In college, the deal with my dad was that I pay all my quarterly tuition and books up front and keep the receipts.

For each class that I recieved an A or A+, I get reimbursed 100%of books and tuition fees. For A-, I get my only tuition reimbursed. For anything else, nothing, out of my own pocket. It forced me to re-evaluate cost/benefit of working and going to school at the same time. Oh, I didn't get any spending cash, I had to work.

Talk about an eye-opener writing $700 checks and charging $500 for books a quarter just for the RIGHT TO GO TO SCHOOL. Lucky for me, it was state-school and my tutition of half off due to scholarships. I ended 4 years of school with like $500 in my bank account. I started with about $1500.

Needless to say, I have a M3 now, so I guess it all worked out in the end. I'm now on the same level as the kid in OP's story. I felt lucky that my parents gave me their old '94 tomato red Corolla for college. My friend, his mom got him a beater Ford Contour and he had to pay her back!

Last edited by mdosu; 08-29-2012 at 02:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2012, 03:01 PM   #102
///Machine
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 E92 M3 / '11 X5d

I am divided on this debate.
- On one hand I am a strong believer in evolution, natural selection, Darwin awards, etc. - so I think all kids who grow up NOT knowing the real value of an earned dollar (regardless of family purchase power) should get M3s and should be allowed to race with no speed limit on any road from 3am to say 5am. Airstrips are open and free from dusk to dawn.

- On the other hand, being >40 myself, I believe in funded retirement and who'd be better to fund it than these kids who will be at their peak when my retirement come? So no M3s for them. Prius to all of them.

Decisions, decisions....

Appreciate 0
      08-29-2012, 03:19 PM   #103
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Quote:
This is your opinion and your thinking. Maybe in your youth if you were given an M3 in life you would turn out to be a bum, depending on handouts. Lost your interest in getting a better life for yourself.

I was given almost anything I wanted as a kid growing up. I knew what my parents could afford so I never asked too much. But not once I lost the thrive to do better in life, not once I said Im happy with handouts

You buy your kid an M3 when he's 16 and see how it works out. Once he's stacked up around a pole it will be too late to rethink your position or worse yet when he's 30 and still living with you.

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|apr gt 250 & splitter|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2012, 03:20 PM   #104
WRXXX
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 SG M3 (SOLD), '17 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILSMKU View Post
Wow, lots of new posts since last night. I'm not going to argue with you guys, but I simply don't agree with giving a 16yr old a 60k car. Clearly I'm on a loosing side with this, so I kindly accept your opinions, but respectfully disagree with many of you on this.

Thank you all.
Look, we get it. You are oppose to giving a kid a 400+hp car. And also feel that the parent is spoiling him. But it was out line to tell him off. Especially since you don't know his background. Chances are you won't meet him again so why be a dick?

Are you going to get all cranky and tell every 16yr old off that drives a $60K+ car? That's a lot of wasted energy on nothing. As long as you are doing the right thing for your kid, who cares what other parents do.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2012, 03:25 PM   #105
Templar
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRXXX View Post
Look, we get it. You are oppose to giving a kid a 400+hp car. And also feel that the parent is spoiling him. But it was out line to tell him off. Especially since you don't know his background. Chances are you won't meet him again so why be a dick?

Are you going to get all cranky and tell every 16yr old off that drives a $60K+ car? That's a lot of wasted energy on nothing. As long as you are doing the right thing for your kid, who cares what other parents do.
Because some people have rods shoved so far up their asses that they feel it is their responsibility to tell others how to live their lives.
      08-29-2012, 03:25 PM   #106
Edjay
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriszeh View Post
You buy your kid an M3 when he's 16 and see how it works out. Once he's stacked up around a pole it will be too late to rethink your position or worse yet when he's 30 and still living with you.
Do you know my kid? Your "assyouming"What will happen. Wait, do you even have a kid? or better yet do you still live with mommy?

Btw My kid had already tried to drive the m3. He admits the car is still too big for him and wanted to stick to hondas for now. No he does not drive on the street. He sets up cones on our parking lot. I have a feeling when he gets behind the wheel of my m3 he will know better than to wrap it on anything.

Last edited by Edjay; 08-29-2012 at 03:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2012, 04:23 PM   #107
techwhiz
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335i Sedan - Arctic

16 year olds should not drive 300HP cars let alone anything more than that.
It's just asking for trouble for 99.9% of the 16 year olds out there.
Forget about being able to afford it, it's just silly.

My daughter will get something safe that can get out of it's own way.
I wouldn't even dream of giving her the keys to my 335 when she is 16.
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread