BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

European Auto Source (EAS)

01-18-2018, 08:37 AM   #23
DreamTime
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by warp10 View Post
Any one going to Road Atlanta or AMP please let me know. Would love to meet up.
I will for sure. i just happened upon your build thread this morning and your car looks mind-blowing! I need to see that thing in person! I am doing RA in Sept with Peachtree BMW CCA, but I will likely hit you up before that about AMP.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2018, 09:10 AM   #24
BOOF-M3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamTime View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderMoose View Post
I'm doing Road Atlanta end of Feb with Chin. Will be my first time there. I am really looking forward to it. Then I'll drop my car off at VIR and run with NASA mid Atlantic for the rest of season and hit WGI and LRP as well.
Nice! You will love Road Atlanta. Turn 11 makes my heart skip a beat every time... so exciting! It sounds like you have a fantastic year ahead of you. I look forward to seeing updates about your season!

Quote:
Originally Posted by typicaltrabes View Post
Watkins Glen is well worth the trip. I will also say, though its really far for you, Club Motorsports was amazing last year. I only ran it for 2 days but had a hell of a time, its one of the best flowing tracks out there and some really, really fast parts to it. I also personally love Lime Rock as its very tricky to be really fast, one small mistake and your lap is done.
One day, I will have gone to all of them Oh man... Club Motorsports looks stunning, that is another one I have not heard of before. My long-term list is only growing longer now, but I'm okay with that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spazzyfry123 View Post
Cool guy!

I ran AMP last year with their "Hurricane Relief Parade Laps." What I thought was going to be effectively a sight-seeing 10 minute run turned out to be a 7/10ths speed, hour-long run. Super fun track with a lot of rapid elevation change. I feel like we may have briefly discussed my trip there at our lunch after the Dragon Run? I'm just on the other (east) side of the lake from AMP, so let me know if you guys plan on making it over; I wouldn't mind heading out! It's maybe a 30 minute drive there and probably about the same to get to Road Atlanta.
Dude, I will definitely give you a shout before heading to AMP or Road Atlanta. I forgot how close you were, I remember you telling me now. Whenever I am in the ATL area for anything car related I will probably reach out to see if you're around, I know some great BMW people down there. It would be awesome to get the cars together again! Likewise, if you are ever in Greenville let me know!
Mary, give me a shout when you head to Atlanta also, we are only 7 hours away, would love to meet up again with you and Tyler. We will be rooting for you guys in the stands though, no racing for us. Watkins Glen has a great history for racing, that would be my vote for you but I'm going to be selfish and say Sebring as it's fairly close for me to meet you out there. I have a buddy who races his Z3 out there and you would make the trip worth it for Maya, myself and Nicholas.
Appreciate 2
      01-18-2018, 11:24 AM   #25
ricardofors68
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '15 F10 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSteve5036 View Post
who did you run with and which do you like better for the e9x platform? That is on my list this summer to try
Unfortunately I've never driven a car there, just motorcycles with now defunct nesba and others. I feel that Thunderbolt is better than Lightning as it has more areas to pass, but I enjoyed both courses on smaller cc bikes.
      01-18-2018, 03:46 PM   #26
DreamTime
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOOF-M3 View Post
Mary, give me a shout when you head to Atlanta also, we are only 7 hours away, would love to meet up again with you and Tyler. We will be rooting for you guys in the stands though, no racing for us. Watkins Glen has a great history for racing, that would be my vote for you but I'm going to be selfish and say Sebring as it's fairly close for me to meet you out there. I have a buddy who races his Z3 out there and you would make the trip worth it for Maya, myself and Nicholas.
I will def check with you before heading to ATL. Don't forget - I'm still trying to work out that trip to FL in spring... By then I should be caught up enough at the office to escape for a quick vacay. I already badly need some beach time.

I almost want to pick Sebring just so I can see you guys!! At this point though, I think it's fair to say WGI is the winner.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2018, 04:35 PM   #27
jolette
Hammer_Down!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 M3 6MT

Palmer Motorsports Park should be toward the top of your list, it's only been open for a few years so it isn't well know nation wide yet. I have driven evey track in the NE and it quickly became one of my favorites. Super technical and challenging.
Appreciate 1
DreamTime864.50
      01-19-2018, 08:24 AM   #28
DreamTime
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jolette View Post
Palmer Motorsports Park should be toward the top of your list, it's only been open for a few years so it isn't well know nation wide yet. I have driven evey track in the NE and it quickly became one of my favorites. Super technical and challenging.
Nice! My list keeps getting better and better, I can't believe there are so many tracks I have never even heard of. This one looks awesome too, thanks! I like technical and challenging, anything that makes me a better driver.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2018, 03:14 PM   #29
DreamTime
Captain
Rep

It's official, I have picked Watkins Glen. I just ordered this video a friend of mine sent me a link to:

https://www.amazon.com/Speed-Secrets...iving+the+glen

Thanks everyone for your input, I appreciate it!
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2018, 03:47 PM   #30
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
It's official, I have picked Watkins Glen. I just ordered this video a friend of mine sent me a link to:

https://www.amazon.com/Speed-Secrets...iving+the+glen

Thanks everyone for your input, I appreciate it!
Excellent!
Have you decided when?

I'll be there with friends June11/12 with Phoenix CMR.

The Falls Motel is where a lot of us track rats stay when at WGI.
Nothing fancy, but clean & close to the track.

Ross Bentley's track walk vid for WGI is also very good.
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)

Last edited by inTgr8r; 01-20-2018 at 03:55 PM..
Appreciate 1
DreamTime864.50
      01-20-2018, 09:39 PM   #31
SQ13
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

East coast tracks have so many walls..
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2018, 09:53 PM   #32
DreamTime
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by inTgr8r View Post
Excellent!
Have you decided when?

I'll be there with friends June11/12 with Phoenix CMR.

The Falls Motel is where a lot of us track rats stay when at WGI.
Nothing fancy, but clean & close to the track.

Ross Bentley's track walk vid for WGI is also very good.
It looks like the best option for me is probably May 4-6 with ARPCA, the price is right and it works with my schedule.

So.. I’ll be at Barber in April, WGI in May, Road Atlanta in Sept, and VIR in Oct. I’m really happy with the way this turned out

Thanks for the lodging suggestion, that’s one less thing I need to worry about now. And, Ross Bentley is incredible, I need to check that out! Much appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2018, 10:00 PM   #33
DreamTime
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SQ13 View Post
Lol, it'll keep you on your toes
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2018, 06:00 PM   #34
admranger
Retired Curmudgeon
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘19 X3M40i, ‘18 m550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SQ13 View Post
Yeah. Don't like those.

'19 X3 M40 Carbon Black/Oyster, '23 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Summit, Past BMWs: '18 M550i, '18 330 GT, '16 X5 40e, '11 E90M3, '06 X5 4.4, '03 330i ZHP, '02 M3, '97 Z3 2.8, '95 M3 (2x), '94 530i (manual), '92 525i (manual), '88 M3, '87 325iS
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2018, 06:52 PM   #35
DreamTime
Captain
Rep

Yeah, that s***’s intimidating no doubt, especially for someone who just got bumped up to intermediate run groups. It seems like there are all sorts of fears I have to overcome while enjoying this sport, walls in close proximity to the track are for sure one of them
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2018, 08:12 PM   #36
ec_E92
Enginerd
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92M3,E36M3,957GTS,E39M5S2

Quote:
Yeah, that s***’s intimidating no doubt, especially for someone who just got bumped up to intermediate run groups. It seems like there are all sorts of fears I have to overcome while enjoying this sport, walls in close proximity to the track are for sure one of them
It gets easier and everything starts to slow down some. And you learn to relax more and it's easier to focus on your driving line, mirrors, and reading what the car and tires are doing and think less about the "worst case scenario".

Keep it up and sounds like you're doing it right by picking great tracks and doing your homework!

(But yeah... the walls are real)
      01-21-2018, 08:31 PM   #37
CorruptCommie
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5d

Mid-Ohio should be mandatary
      01-22-2018, 08:10 AM   #38
DreamTime
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ec_E92 View Post
It gets easier and everything starts to slow down some. And you learn to relax more and it's easier to focus on your driving line, mirrors, and reading what the car and tires are doing and think less about the "worst case scenario".

Keep it up and sounds like you're doing it right by picking great tracks and doing your homework!

(But yeah... the walls are real)
Great advice, thanks! I am so in love with tracking my M3, and based on my student evaluations (and my own awareness of my progression), I improved a lot during my 1st year. I am beyond excited for year 2!!

Lol, I specifically picked Roebling Road for my first track because of the lack of walls. I was pretty nervous about RA the first time I went, but funny enough, I settled into that track quickly and was super comfortable with it almost immediately. That was the first weekend I really started going fast (for me), and I dominated my run group along with 2 other guys. I was one happy girl

I super appreciate the advice and encouragement! I love this forum!
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2018, 08:15 AM   #39
DreamTime
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorruptCommie View Post
Mid-Ohio should be mandatary
Mid-Ohio looks awesome!! It is definitely near the top of my list. My buddy from Columbus had mentioned us taking a trip up there sometime since it is his home track. Watching that video makes me want to go even more!! Dude, your car sounds amazing 🤤
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2018, 08:54 PM   #40
admranger
Retired Curmudgeon
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘19 X3M40i, ‘18 m550i

Quote:
The worst was Phoenix International...yeah, the NASCAR track. First time I was there was shortly after a guy in an M3 was killed there when he spun and hit the wall on the driver's side. Took the local's advice about not dipping below the white line when running NASCAR 3 and 4 (flat in 4th). After a while you really don't notice the walls unless you have visual references on them that you're using. It's always in the back of your mind, but it just isn't that big of a deal. I ran a 2 hour enduro there once (solo) and the Porsche Cup Cars scared me more than the walls (damn those cup cars were loud!).

'19 X3 M40 Carbon Black/Oyster, '23 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Summit, Past BMWs: '18 M550i, '18 330 GT, '16 X5 40e, '11 E90M3, '06 X5 4.4, '03 330i ZHP, '02 M3, '97 Z3 2.8, '95 M3 (2x), '94 530i (manual), '92 525i (manual), '88 M3, '87 325iS
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2018, 11:48 PM   #41
DreamTime
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by admranger View Post
The worst was Phoenix International...yeah, the NASCAR track. First time I was there was shortly after a guy in an M3 was killed there when he spun and hit the wall on the driver's side. Took the local's advice about not dipping below the white line when running NASCAR 3 and 4 (flat in 4th). After a while you really don't notice the walls unless you have visual references on them that you're using. It's always in the back of your mind, but it just isn't that big of a deal. I ran a 2 hour enduro there once (solo) and the Porsche Cup Cars scared me more than the walls (damn those cup cars were loud!).
It is a dangerous sport. A couple weeks ago, a connect I have at the BMW Foundation worked out the opportunity for me to interview legendary old school race car drivers Brian Redman and David Hobbs for my CCA newsletter. When I got there, the guy who was there from Roundel offered for me to sit in on his interview as well. It was seriously unreal, the stories they told!! There were definitely some that did not end well. But there were plenty that turned out amazing. I want to tell more, but I will have to wait until both these articles are published probably...

I can't help myself at this point lol. I am hooked. One thing I really like about the track community - all you guys on these forums and everyone I meet in real life - is that everyone supports each other. I appreciate everything that everyone teaches me about their experiences, I listen to all of it and it encourages me. I want to one day work up to getting my racing license so I can become a club racer. And, watch me drool over some loud ass Porsches... jeez
Appreciate 1
admranger2984.50
      01-24-2018, 08:08 PM   #42
ThunderMoose
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: PY E46 M3 and SG E46 M3

Quote:
It is a dangerous sport. A couple weeks ago, a connect I have at the BMW Foundation worked out the opportunity for me to interview legendary old school race car drivers Brian Redman and David Hobbs for my CCA newsletter. When I got there, the guy who was there from Roundel offered for me to sit in on his interview as well. It was seriously unreal, the stories they told!! There were definitely some that did not end well. But there were plenty that turned out amazing. I want to tell more, but I will have to wait until both these articles are published probably...

I can't help myself at this point lol. I am hooked. One thing I really like about the track community - all you guys on these forums and everyone I meet in real life - is that everyone supports each other. I appreciate everything that everyone teaches me about their experiences, I listen to all of it and it encourages me. I want to one day work up to getting my racing license so I can become a club racer. And, watch me drool over some loud ass Porsches... jeez
Once you have some more experience seriously consider doing BMWCCA race school, You can do it in street car. It is fun. It is safe. It will give you a good idea of what racing is like and if you want to do it. I did it in 2013 and had a ton of fun.
Appreciate 1
DreamTime864.50
      01-25-2018, 10:21 PM   #43
DreamTime
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderMoose View Post
Once you have some more experience seriously consider doing BMWCCA race school, You can do it in street car. It is fun. It is safe. It will give you a good idea of what racing is like and if you want to do it. I did it in 2013 and had a ton of fun.
This is definitely in my plans. I was just talking to a friend of mine on the phone tonight who did a BMWCCA race school at Roebling Road a couple months ago. He loved it. I want to go!! Lol, patience... I know. Experience is good, I have a ways to go
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2018, 03:08 PM   #44
leo95se
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 e92 M3, '15 F15 X5d

my standard hitlist includes WGI, LRP (my home track,about an hour away), NJMP, Palmer, tremblant. others too ,but less exciting.
will add club motorsport this year.

if i were you, id do WGI for sure. LRP 2nd.
Appreciate 1
DreamTime864.50