BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

EXXEL Distributions

02-28-2022, 08:00 PM   #67
nycplumber
Major
Rep
Drives: slow

I've read every thread and not a single one shows a dyno with cams making gains on a stock block. Not sure what the argument is
Appreciate 1
slcook541863.00
      02-28-2022, 08:44 PM   #68
maicol76
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

<Long Term Review>
After installing the 292 camshaft,
at least 20 weeks, at least 60 track days, at least 180 sessions, and 2000 laps(max. 3000) for almost 2 years.
(My M is track only car)

<conclusion>
No problem yet. Not at all.
Even the engine oil analysis is perfect.
(I had my first engine fail several years ago. From then, whenever I drain the engine oil, I send an oil analysis to Blackstone Laboratories.)

If there was no problem with using the car this harshly,
I think 292 is very successful setup for the track-only car. Therefore, I expect that there will be no problems in the future.

<reference>
Idle rpm is rough on cold start. However, if the oil temperature rises a little, idle is same as stock.
When turning the steering wheel or reversing, the rpm is rough only when it starts moving on cold start.

<next stage>
The 4.4L stroker kit (stock alusil bore) will be installed soon.
2011 LCI W/DCT / K&N drop in filter / CSF radiator / do88 oil cooler / do88 DCT cooler / Akra Evo / Moton CS 2 way coilover / Wiechers strut bar(F) / ARC strut bar(R) / Alcon Superkit BBK / Tarox rotor / Geoff steel EHPS / Sard carbon-Kevlar GT wing / GT4 carnard / Aim Evo4+G-dash+GT Steering+S/C GP HD / Bride Zeta3 / etc.
Appreciate 2
      03-01-2022, 07:33 AM   #69
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycplumber View Post
I've read every thread and not a single one shows a dyno with cams making gains on a stock block. Not sure what the argument is
You haven't read the right ones.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2022, 07:46 AM   #70
nycplumber
Major
Rep

OK then show me the one I missed with the dynos in it
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2022, 08:54 AM   #71
maicol76
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Before asking someone to give you anything, the first thing you have to do is to show someone the evidence of "Steve Dinan and Randy from Epic say cams are a waste". Do you have transcripts of them? Or is there an official statement from them? If you bring it, I'll tell you the next lists of evidence you need to present.

Claiming your opinion by relying on a famous person is very unconvincing and cowardly behavior.

As you know, there is a term for people like you.

'Keyboard Warrior'

If you didn't know, keep this in mind.
2011 LCI W/DCT / K&N drop in filter / CSF radiator / do88 oil cooler / do88 DCT cooler / Akra Evo / Moton CS 2 way coilover / Wiechers strut bar(F) / ARC strut bar(R) / Alcon Superkit BBK / Tarox rotor / Geoff steel EHPS / Sard carbon-Kevlar GT wing / GT4 carnard / Aim Evo4+G-dash+GT Steering+S/C GP HD / Bride Zeta3 / etc.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2022, 08:54 AM   #72
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
What's wrong with the one in the first post of this thread?
Search OG Shark's build thread for the other.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2022, 09:50 AM   #73
nycplumber
Major
Rep

Do I really need to explain?

Last edited by nycplumber; 03-01-2022 at 10:12 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2022, 10:51 AM   #74
pumper206
80 Deep, We All Eat!!!
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 2009 AW E92 M3

Quote:
Do I really need to explain?
No, you don't need to explain. I think you've explained everything already. All your posts sum it up pretty clearly.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2022, 11:02 AM   #75
reidetailing
Alex - IG @screamer
Canada
Rep
Drives: 08 SS E90, 11 Moonstone E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by maicol76 View Post
<Long Term Review>
at least 20 weeks, at least 60 track days, at least 180 sessions, and 2000 laps(max. 3000) for almost 2 years.
(My M is track only car)

<conclusion>
(I had my first engine fail several years ago. From then, whenever I drain the engine oil, I send an oil analysis to Blackstone Laboratories.)

I think 292 is very successful setup for the track-only car. Therefore, I expect that there will be no problems in the future.

<reference>
Idle rpm is rough on cold start. However, if the oil temperature rises a little, idle is same as stock.
When turning the steering wheel or reversing, the rpm is rough only when it starts moving on cold start.

<next stage>

Who tuned your car for the cams?
- 2008 BMW E90 M3 - Silverstone - Racecar
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2022, 12:35 PM   #76
omgzirra_exe
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 4.4L M3, IS300

Quote:
<Long Term Review>
(My M is track only car)

<conclusion>

<reference>

<next stage>
personally i can't wait for the 4.4L results on your end. i have been contemplating 292 cams since i had the motor out and didn't pull the trigger, saw a GB for it a couple months after, but i think that GB died.

i think the 4.4L is a great mix of reliability for the street and track since as you mention the stock alusil bore does not get tampered with, which is the main reason i went with it as well. with a couple track days on my engine it still runs smooth as butter and it always comes out clean on the oil analysis. but i do make it safe practice to inspect the engine block once a year.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2022, 12:47 PM   #77
pumper206
80 Deep, We All Eat!!!
Taiwan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdM1nsarEas$ View Post
I’m confused, so cams on a stock engine is no good?
I was just insinuating that he didn't need to explain any further because all his comments already explain his attitude towards 292 cam upgrade being worthless despite real world experience contributed on the forum stating that there are significant gains to be had in a dependable manner.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2022, 04:26 PM   #78
nycplumber
Major
Rep

You all realize the dyno isn't a before and after right? It's 2 other random cars with no mention of miles/mods ect. He made 405wheel hp, again no delta comparison and 405 isn't anything that hasn't been done on other FBO cars. I guess I had to explain that. But go waste 5k on cams if you think I'm just "some dude" and disregard that the best tuners agree with me, and none of you.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2022, 04:47 PM   #79
omgzirra_exe
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You all realize the dyno isn't a before and after right? It's 2 other random cars with no mention of miles/mods ect. He made 405wheel hp, again no delta comparison and 405 isn't anything that hasn't been done on other FBO cars. I guess I had to explain that. But go waste 5k on cams if you think I'm just "some dude" and disregard that the best tuners agree with me, and none of you.
you sound upset. that no one knows who you are.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2022, 05:39 PM   #80
pumper206
80 Deep, We All Eat!!!
Taiwan
Rep

Quote:
I already said no need to explain. But you just couldn't help yourself, huh? Lol
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2022, 06:17 AM   #81
nycplumber
Major
Rep

Just do the cams and have lots of fun with your 'gains' but after you waste all that money for nothing Im sure you'll remember this thread and I'll be here to say I told you so
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2022, 06:29 AM   #82
nycplumber
Major
Rep

Quote:
Before asking someone to give you anything, the first thing you have to do is to show someone the evidence of "Steve Dinan and Randy from Epic say cams are a waste". Do you have transcripts of them? Or is there an official statement from them? If you bring it, I'll tell you the next lists of evidence you need to present.

Claiming your opinion by relying on a famous person is very unconvincing and cowardly behavior.

As you know, there is a term for people like you.

'Keyboard Warrior'

If you didn't know, keep this in mind.

What's your email I'll send you my conversations with both of them with dynos to prove it. This has be discussed for years and has been proven time and time again they make no gains. Funny how someone with helpful information gets attacked.

This is a direct quote from one of the emails

-----"Here you go. This was on a full race setup with large exhaust, race fuel, etcetera.

Yes the cam gains for the price is disappointing. LOL"

--- "I was hoping for 30 wheel like the e46s. I guess it's not meant to be lol. Thanks for the info as always Randy."

-----"E46 won’t get 30 from cams either. Dual vanos gives us control of the overlap so we can make it have “big cams” in the tuning. The cams may give you more untuned and then adding them but if mapped properly the gains are minimal…"
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2022, 08:14 AM   #83
darren p.
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: B5 S4, MkII GTI, E90 M3s

Quote:
they make no gains.

if mapped properly the gains are minimal
You've contradicted yourself here. Post the dynos and the full quotes.

People said the same thing about cams for the E46s at the beginning and look at them now. While I'm not expecting huge gains, I am expecting it to change the characteristics of the power band and the dynos show they do. I've used Schrick cams on other platforms and people said the same thing, they aren't worth it. At what price and power level do they become "worth it"? I think that is up to the owner to decide. But if you can't afford them, I get it.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2022, 08:51 AM   #84
nycplumber
Major
Rep

Yeah you know who figured out all the cam gains for the E46? The same person who says bigger cams are useless on the s65. If you want to argue the difference between minimal and no gains then do that. 5hp gain for $5000 is considered no gains to me. Maybe you think differently. This is the last time I'm posting about this. If you disagree thats cool and if you want to find out more info then email these people like I did. Other then that I have provided more than enough useful info for the forum. Take care ya ungrateful losers

Last edited by nycplumber; 03-02-2022 at 08:57 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2022, 11:21 AM   #85
jp1984
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: an E92

Quote:
Yeah you know who figured out all the cam gains for the E46? The same person who says bigger cams are useless on the s65. If you want to argue the difference between minimal and no gains then do that. 5hp gain for $5000 is considered no gains to me. Maybe you think differently. This is the last time I'm posting about this. If you disagree thats cool and if you want to find out more info then email these people like I did. Other then that I have provided more than enough useful info for the forum. Take care ya ungrateful losers
C'mon, man, its a discussion forum, not an agree with you forum, to some people the price isnt worth the entry, to some people they think, "well i am keeping this forever, I have touched everything else, lets try this too".

If people have the money why begrudge them? I find the results interesting from other peoples expenses! It helps me decide what to buy.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2022, 11:45 AM   #86
omgzirra_exe
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

all this talk about proof, yet not shown.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2022, 12:36 AM   #87
Exclusivs
Colonel
United_States
Rep

SO!

Lets hear from some more 292 users
Appreciate 1
slcook541863.00
      08-12-2022, 02:22 AM   #88
maicol76
First Lieutenant
Rep

I just finished installing the 4.4L stroker kit(for Alusil block).

Now I'm doing engine break-in. I've driven about 1250 miles, and will do ECU mapping after driving about 1600 miles.

More details will be posted later.
Appreciate 1