BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

European Auto Source (EAS)

11-24-2018, 12:18 PM   #23
Siajoon
///Majestic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 ///M3

+1 for Malek as well, I recently got my bearings replaced on my e90 M 2011 with 67xxx, like many have already mentioned he was an absolute pleasure to work with.

I will recommend him over and over again. I felt completely confident in him when dropping my M with him.

The new motor mounts are night and day... I was at a red light the other night and I seriously thought my car was off..... I couldn't feel any type of vibration.. I thought to myself did I just stall.... hahahah

Anyways....8400 revs never felt so good.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2018, 08:19 PM   #24
Solo_M_Tech
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 6MT

Garage List
2014 BMW M5  [0.00]
Zero evidence of impeding failure given those bearings look better than any of the 100+ sets I've swapped. Seems like you bought into the paranoia.

Glad you got them done and Malek is among the best out there.
      11-24-2018, 10:23 PM   #25
Bimmer Barney
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011.5 E90M ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fubar_M3 View Post
Zero evidence of impeding failure given those bearings look better than any of the 100+ sets I've swapped. Seems like you bought into the paranoia.

At the risk of getting into a pointless argument I will just say I am an experienced mechanic with engine building experience and these bearings are worn to an unacceptable level, indicative of premature failure. How worn based on pictures is subjective at best (didn't measure, but to an experienced eye doesn't need to be measured to know it's unacceptable), and comparative wear is pointless.

I agree I have bought in. Paranoia? Ok I guess I agree. But the objective evidence is not debatable.

I'm not here to convince anyone they should change their rod bearing any more than they should perform any other maintenance or repair on their M3, but please show me and other members the same respect and do not patronize our contribution and feedback to the community.
      11-24-2018, 11:29 PM   #26
Solo_M_Tech
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer Barney View Post
Quote:

At the risk of getting into a pointless argument I will just say I am an experienced mechanic with engine building experience and these bearings are worn to an unacceptable level, indicative of premature failure. How worn based on pictures is subjective at best (didn't measure, but to an experienced eye doesn't need to be measured to know it's unacceptable), and comparative wear is pointless.

I agree I have bought in. Paranoia? Ok I guess I agree. But the objective evidence is not debatable.

I'm not here to convince anyone they should change their rod bearing any more than they should perform any other maintenance or repair on their M3, but please show me and other members the same respect and do not patronize our contribution and feedback to the community.
There is zero disrespect in my post. You didn't provide any evidence to support your "impending catastrophic failure " claim. Especially since your bearings were in better shape than the majority of examples posted on thoits forum.

Did you have bearing wear? yes.
Was it excessive? no.

Given the evidence in this forum, your situation was better than most.
      11-24-2018, 11:36 PM   #27
Bimmer Barney
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

There is zero disrespect in my post. You didn't provide any evidence to support your "impending catastrophic failure " claim. Especially since your bearings were in better shape than the majority of examples posted on thoits forum.

Was it excessive? no.

Ok I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. I thought the bought into the paranoia comment felt a bit patronizing because I find myself much more experienced mechanically than most and to me this is an obvious issue.

Cheers
      11-24-2018, 11:38 PM   #28
Solo_M_Tech
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Was it excessive? no.

Ok I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. I thought the bought into the paranoia comment felt a bit patronizing because I find myself much more experienced mechanically than most and to me this is an obvious issue.

Cheers
Given your experience, would you like to shed some light on this issue? We'd love to hear your professional opinion.
      11-25-2018, 12:31 AM   #29
Bimmer Barney
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Was it excessive? no.

Cheers
Given your experience, would you like to shed some light on this issue? We'd love to hear your professional opinion.
No need to beat the dead horse.
      11-26-2018, 07:53 PM   #30
Siajoon
///Majestic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 ///M3

its an issue. people need to accept it.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2018, 08:40 PM   #31
Dr. Dre
the doctor
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 Alpine White

There was someone else on this forum who use to make fun of people buying into the paranoia. Until he started having a rod knock and then he suddenly shit a brick. He was lucky that Malek was able to save his engine. To each his own. It wouldn't be the first time that a manufacturer made an engine with a significant defect.

The same thing can be said about the Porsche engine with the IMS bearing. So people chose to ignore it and some chose to replace the bearing.

Last edited by Dr. Dre; 11-26-2018 at 09:28 PM..
Appreciate 1
Siajoon1859.50
      02-22-2024, 07:10 PM   #32
Mjlevine
Private
Rep
Drives: 535i/m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatifE90 View Post
+2 for Malek Malek@MRF. Replaced my S65 after bearing failure and also did the Clevite bearings on the new motor. He is the only guy I trust working on my cars.
How long did it take
Appreciate 0