BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

EXXEL Distributions

10-18-2009, 05:44 AM   #1
Atny286
First Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: M3/E90/SSII/19s

Garage List
2008 M3 E90  [0.00]
Brake pad position

Can anyone tell why different make/models have different brake pad positions? Would one position be better than other positions?

E.g. our M3 have the position on the 'inside', while an Audi A6 has it on the 'rear' side and VW on the 'front' side. A picture may help to better understand the question.

vs

vs

2008 M3 E90/SSII/Black/6MT/19s/chip=456PS
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2009, 08:01 PM   #2
Periokid
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 M3

I don't think it matters. They probably set it up depending on where suspension components are located.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2009, 10:37 AM   #3
AP Racing - Chris_B
Brake Maven
United_States
Rep
Drives: E34 540i/6, others

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atny286 View Post
Can anyone tell why different make/models have different brake pad positions? Would one position be better than other positions?

E.g. our M3 have the position on the 'inside', while an Audi A6 has it on the 'rear' side and VW on the 'front' side. A picture may help to better understand the question.
As already stated, the decision to go with leading or trailing calipers has a lot to do with packaging the various suspension components. In F1, they are now using "underslung" calipers, located at or near the lower "ball joint". This is to keep every ounce of weight as low as possible.

Detailed stress analysis has revealed that the best location for street/track vehicles is trailing in the front (behind and slightly below wheel centerline) and leading in the rear (ahead and just below wheel centerline). Of course, since most vehicles also need to have steering, this has to be factored in!

Chris
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2009, 02:38 PM   #4
Atny286
First Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: M3/E90/SSII/19s

Garage List
2008 M3 E90  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AP Racing - Chris_B View Post
As already stated, the decision to go with leading or trailing calipers has a lot to do with packaging the various suspension components. In F1, they are now using "underslung" calipers, located at or near the lower "ball joint". This is to keep every ounce of weight as low as possible.

Detailed stress analysis has revealed that the best location for street/track vehicles is trailing in the front (behind and slightly below wheel centerline) and leading in the rear (ahead and just below wheel centerline). Of course, since most vehicles also need to have steering, this has to be factored in!

Chris
So you'd say the M3 position is better than the VW or Audi for positioning? I see the C63 has the same position as M3 btw.

2008 M3 E90/SSII/Black/6MT/19s/chip=456PS
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2009, 02:57 PM   #5
AP Racing - Chris_B
Brake Maven
United_States
Rep
Drives: E34 540i/6, others

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atny286 View Post
So you'd say the M3 position is better than the VW or Audi for positioning? I see the C63 has the same position as M3 btw.
Not being on the design team for the M3, all I can really say is that it is in the right position for that car after all parameters were considered. Same would hold true for the other vehicles you mention. The Audi/VW platform must consider the Quattro/4Motion systems. Those cars use rear steer (the rack is located behind the front axle centerline), where the BMW uses front steer. Tie rod location does influence caliper location, especially on front steer vehicles.
Appreciate 0