BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > New and Preowned M3 Pricing, Ordering, Tracking / European Delivery / Dealer Reviews

04-18-2009, 06:08 AM   #1
steelers17
Rep
Drives: X6 white, saddle, 535xi

Individual Color Ordered-individual leather?

New to this forum but not BMW's or other forums. Have a white/saddle X6 and wife has 535xi in Monaco/beige.

So finally ordered M3 sedan as dream machine at a great price but was totally unexcited about the exterior colors. Not the same panache to me as say the 911 choices. I was looking for a car that had excitement/balance between exterior and interior. Was ordering space gray (which I've had in a 335 before) and extended fox red/carbon.

As I go in to place the order, I see a color I've never seen before on a 535, Neptune Blue. This gets my attention as a classy and sporty color for a sedan and I make the choice to order it and pay the extra $5k. Got one shot at this from wife so and $ aren't an issue. BMW approved color and said they have never done one on an M before.

Question I need to ask on reflection: do we have the same ability to select an individual leather color? Is the cost reasonable? (not saying cost for exterior was) We matched the fox red against and it looked good but no real way to know until it gets here.

Link: post 9 has most realistic representation

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho....php?p=3281033

Last edited by steelers17; 04-18-2009 at 06:12 AM.. Reason: add link
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2009, 09:19 AM   #2
Mark's M
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 Individual

Firstly, that's a fantastic color and I agree, it would look great on an M3. As for anything else Individual, "ask and you shall receive" but if, and only if, you can spare a few more $$$ and you have the right Individual dealer who's willing to work with Munich and get the right person who'll assist with design ideas. I've been doing this since January (for a 2010 M3) and am awaiting the results (digital renderings) & costings from Germany - the package was mailed out last week. There are a number of interior alternatives available but there are restrictions also. For instance, you presently can't get Merino leather (from the Individual line) in an M3 because the car hasn't been crash tested so equiped. It all has something to do with the way the airbags, the leather and the seating react with one another. Same with differing dash trims. Sounds incredulous but true. For those who'll say "well that stuff is available in a regular 3 series car", sorry but the M3 and a regular 3 series are different beasts. And therefore, any substantial changes would require certification (for Canada & U.S.A.) which entails.....crash testing.

Bottom line....contact an exceptional Individual dealer and they can help.

Mark
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2009, 02:28 PM   #3
steelers17
Rep

Mark,

Thanks for the detailed and informative response. The individual order process is new to me.

Will check with the dealership Monday regarding a dark blue leather that I think had been available for the 5 series. I am most likely just reacting to the FR extended uncertainty because I haven't seen the colors together on a car than any real desire for more customization.

Thanks again
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2009, 03:10 PM   #4
lugnut
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 Space/Fox

Try this link:

http://www.bmw.com/com/en/newvehicle.../overview.html

Good luck with this. I just tried to order an individualized 335xi (really wanted Imola Red) for my girlfriend, but was told that they wont do it in the US for a 3-er. I think the leather you are referring to is called "Sirah", however I may be mistaken.
08 E92 M3 SG/Fox Red Gintani Race (sold), RG63
02 E46 M3 Cab Imola, E36 Z3 Atlanta Blue/Tan
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2009, 03:27 PM   #5
ChrisFastM3
Captain
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 vert w/ LOTS of mods

I would highly recommend going with Estoril Blue over Neptune. Estoril Blue was 1 of the special colors of the E36 M3 along with Dakar Yellow. Neptune is nice, just not ///M enough for me. To each is own though. Also, if you want to sell this car one day for a reasonable price, don't go blue on red. You might want to consider going with a 2 tone interior since you already forked up the extra cash to go individual. Take a good look at the Piano Black trim too. Looks beautiful. Good luck with your decision!

estoril

neptune

Last edited by ChrisFastM3; 04-18-2009 at 03:29 PM.. Reason: added pics
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2009, 04:16 PM   #6
FStop7
I like cars
Vatican City State
Rep
Drives: M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFastM3 View Post
I would highly recommend going with Estoril Blue over Neptune. Estoril Blue was 1 of the special colors of the E36 M3 along with Dakar Yellow. Neptune is nice, just not ///M enough for me. To each is own though. Also, if you want to sell this car one day for a reasonable price, don't go blue on red. You might want to consider going with a 2 tone interior since you already forked up the extra cash to go individual. Take a good look at the Piano Black trim too. Looks beautiful. Good luck with your decision!

estoril
BMW has already rejected requests for E9x M3s in estoril.
      04-18-2009, 04:42 PM   #7
MyKmYk
BMW Individual Junkie.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Mora E46, Tanzanite G20 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by FStop7 View Post
BMW has already rejected requests for E9x M3s in estoril.
Sigh. Got rejected for Estoril 3 times. I thought it was like trying to join the jewish faith.... Not so.
      04-18-2009, 04:48 PM   #8
niqui
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Jet Black E92 M3

i hate to say it....but i wouldnt pour so much money into customizing an m3 sedan...there are other cars i would turn too....
but to each his own.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2009, 05:11 PM   #9
steelers17
Rep

Thanks for the array of input/advice. I very much appreciate the link for the Individual website as I didn't know it was out there.

Agree with those who say customizing the M3 may be a little much and am thinking through the blue/red combo. I only started down the customized path looking for a color that really appealed to me.

Would there be as many concerns re the syrah blue leather? Of course, when I learn the cost that may rule it out.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2009, 06:43 PM   #10
mapezzul
Special Agent
United_States
Rep
Drives: Depends on the day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelers17 View Post
Thanks for the array of input/advice. I very much appreciate the link for the Individual website as I didn't know it was out there.

Agree with those who say customizing the M3 may be a little much and am thinking through the blue/red combo. I only started down the customized path looking for a color that really appealed to me.

Would there be as many concerns re the syrah blue leather? Of course, when I learn the cost that may rule it out.
Custom leather is over $10K if I recall correctly, it is really steep especially if it is not a color for the US or an M3 in other markets.

Personally, I would pass on the exterior paint unless it really makes or breaks the car for you; and if you really want to pay the 5K for paint get something no one else in the US can get. There were two cars in the US painted in Phoenix Yellow and 1 in Estoril, last fall. I would go with one of the true Individual colors BUT the caveat of that would be possible future repairs being a real PITA.

Good luck with the car, as you will LOVE it!

-M
      04-18-2009, 06:50 PM   #11
Mark's M
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 Individual

Quote:

Brother....the Syrah Blue is merino leather. If you're up to having a car crash tested (and paying for it), they you can get Syrah Blue. Otherwise, you'll have to settle for something in Novillo leather - you'd be surprised at what BMW can match for you....but once again, at a price. Believe me, I've been through this already and it's best to contact someone VERY knowledgable about Individual stuff to deal with.

Best of luck - Mark
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2009, 04:21 PM   #12
steelers17
Rep

Thanks to everyone for their input. After much deliberation and another trip to the dealer, I stayed with my selections -neptune blue/ext FR/carbon.

I recognize the potential resale/trade hit but willing to take the risk. If the car works out, someone will love it. if it is a huge miss, I'll live with it until the "green energy efficient M3" comes out down the road and wife lets me trade it!
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2009, 04:34 PM   #13
ChrisFastM3
Captain
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 vert w/ LOTS of mods

That'll be the day.... a "green energy" M3.... Good luck with the car & congrats!
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2009, 03:18 PM   #14
BMWI6
Major
Colombia
Rep
Drives: 335is

Quote:
Mark,

Thanks for the detailed and informative response. The individual order process is new to me.

Will check with the dealership Monday regarding a dark blue leather that I think had been available for the 5 series. I am most likely just reacting to the FR extended uncertainty because I haven't seen the colors together on a car than any real desire for more customization.

Thanks again
BLUE LEATHER FOR THE MFW!!!!!!!!!!!!! AWESOME
      04-21-2009, 03:32 PM   #15
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

I don't know how I feel about Neptune Blue, but I promote individuality. Good luck w/ your ///M3. Do post pics whenever it arrives.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2009, 05:15 PM   #16
quackbury
Monkeyazz Duck
Rep
Drives: 540 M Sport; 330; 135

I have seen Neptune Blue on both Sport and non-Sport E60's. To my eye it looks best with a touch of chrome trim (as in the non-Sport), instead of the Shadowline (as in the SP in post #5 above). So I think Neptune would look smashing on an E93 M3 with its chrome, less smashing on an E90 or E91. Just my 2 cents.

Neptune with FR? Man, you've got a big set of brass ones. It's either going to be gorgeous or hideous, and I am too much of a coward to find out with my own $$$. (I am in Naples, FL today, and just saw a Bentley in the most atrocious shade of Dog Sh*t Brown Metallic you can imagine. Hope that owner likes it - all I could think of was the movie "RV" and the "Rolling Turd").
2008 135i
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2009, 01:40 PM   #17
steelers17
Rep

quak,

I agree the silver sets it off better but I can be happy with the sport package trim.

As for the big ones, wife likes the color and CA still talks me out of changing (he has no incentive since the color was added after our price deal was done and he kept asking if I really wanted to spend the $) So, I am finding some support from those who have seen the paint chips, leather swatch, and carbon together.

I am ok finding finding less support here, and rightfully so, since few people who haven't seen it would argue for a guy to do it at high cost and huge risk. Having said that, I do admit to some worry about it.

We're still waiting for final confirmation from BMW. Until then, please feel free to recommend any other individual exterior colors to go with ext FR.

And many thanks for the candid input...
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2009, 02:07 PM   #18
midwesterner
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Wow, I cannot believe................

Steelers,
I think one of the BEST individual colors is ruby black. It was seen on the M6 Neman Marcus Edition and it is absolutely stunning. I would suspect that most forum members would agree that this is one of the most individual colors that is available. Check out this link from the M5board for a pretty accurate example of this color:

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/own...ndividual.html

Whatever you do, best of luck. Its a great problem to have!

Quote:
quak,

I agree the silver sets it off better but I can be happy with the sport package trim.

As for the big ones, wife likes the color and CA still talks me out of changing (he has no incentive since the color was added after our price deal was done and he kept asking if I really wanted to spend the $) So, I am finding some support from those who have seen the paint chips, leather swatch, and carbon together.

I am ok finding finding less support here, and rightfully so, since few people who haven't seen it would argue for a guy to do it at high cost and huge risk. Having said that, I do admit to some worry about it.

We're still waiting for final confirmation from BMW. Until then, please feel free to recommend any other individual exterior colors to go with ext FR.

And many thanks for the candid input...
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2009, 03:18 PM   #19
quackbury
Monkeyazz Duck
Rep
Drives: 540 M Sport; 330; 135

IMHO Sterling Gray Metallic was one of the best BMW colors ever (had it on my 540) and I bet it would be stunning with Fox Red.
Attached Images

2008 135i
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2009, 03:39 PM   #20
RJD M3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Ruby Black FTW!

I saw one of the Neiman Cars, OMG was that color amazing. I have always been a fan of the BMW metallic blacks that have the color changing properties.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2009, 06:38 PM   #21
steelers17
Rep

I've never seen the the Ruby Black but it does look terrific-have to think about that one. I had the sterling on a 7 series so had ruled it out as a color I've already had.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2009, 01:53 PM   #22
steelers17
Rep

Curious if they gave a reason for rejecting the Estoril order?

The Neptune was accepted today with about a three week extra wait, so I didn't switch to the Azurite. For better or worse, I'll know in late June. Although, technically, I guess it is just the $2k deposit at risk.
Appreciate 0