BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

EXXEL Distributions

03-25-2013, 07:47 PM   #1
m3anAPPLE
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: JB E90 M3

..Lamborghini LP560-4

Thanks to my beautiful wife, I was able to drive a Gallardo LP560-4 yesterday at Imagine Lifestyle's Ultimate Driving Experiences. I won't say it was the "Ultimate" driving experience I've ever had because it was too short but I did have a great time! 5.2L V10 with 552 ponies @8000 rpm AWD. The car was so responsive, wherever i pointed it it went and it went there fast! It's breaking, power and handling were all ridiculous and fun to command. I over shot a turn the first lap and the brakes compensated for my error. Although the AWD seemed to load up in the corners it handled exiting them and rolling full gas pedal stomping great but the N/A v10 was the most exciting part; audible and powerful. Not a torque monster but powerful. My question is will supercharging the e90M and a brake upgrade give an already supreme handling high revving car a similar driving experience as the LP560-4?
Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2013, 08:29 PM   #2
klammer
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 11 spc gry m3 e90, 19 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3anAPPLE
Thanks to my beautiful wife, I was able to drive a Gallardo LP560-4 yesterday at Imagine Lifestyle's Ultimate Driving Experiences. I won't say it was the "Ultimate" driving experience I've ever had because it was too short but I did have a great time! 5.2L V10 with 552 ponies @8000 rpm AWD. The car was so responsive, wherever i pointed it it went and it went there fast! It's breaking, power and handling were all ridiculous and fun to command. I over shot a turn the first lap and the brakes compensated for my error. Although the AWD seemed to load up in the corners it handled exiting them and rolling full gas pedal stomping great but the N/A v10 was the most exciting part; audible and powerful. Not a torque monster but powerful. My question is will supercharging the e90M and a brake upgrade give an already supreme handling high revving car a similar driving experience as the LP560-4?
Thanks.
IMHO, that with a good set of coilovers and it will exceed it
      03-25-2013, 11:23 PM   #3
brava09
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M4C xdrive

You must be dreaming, no mod will turn your sedan into a hypercar like Lamborghini

On the other hand though, could you see yourself daily driving the Lamborghini like you drive the M3?
11 Audi RS5 Misano Red--sold
08 E92 M3 Jerez Black 6MT--sold
08 E92 335i 6MT traded in for M3
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2013, 12:25 AM   #4
AbuArije5
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Non

Yeah just get Lamborghini suspension, motor, brakes and or get a kit Lamborghini jk
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2013, 09:38 AM   #5
m3anAPPLE
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by brava09 View Post
You must be dreaming, no mod will turn your sedan into a hypercar like Lamborghini

On the other hand though, could you see yourself daily driving the Lamborghini like you drive the M3?
The performance numbers seem attainable with a supercharger.
But I see your point. I do.
But my question was about the driving experience and maybe the experience i had behind the wheel is too subjective.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2013, 09:49 AM   #6
ms372
White Shark
Canada
Rep
Drives: AW E92 m3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3anAPPLE View Post
The performance numbers seem attainable with a supercharger.
But I see your point. I do.
But my question was about the driving experience and maybe the experience i had behind the wheel is too subjective.
you can actually get a better driving feel and experience in the M, supercharger for power and a good set of rims and tires with some coils would change the M. IMO lambos are more show than anything, its more like look at me and running one on a track will cost $$$ n putting on the miles with depreciate the car dramatically. plus 90% of their owners will never do more than a drive around the city in the car.
ESS | Challenge x-pipe | Akrapovic | Stoptech BBK (380/355) |Ohlins R&T | Dinan | Vorsteiner | Downforce USA | Varis Diffuser | Gintani | UUC | BMW Performance | Macht Schnell | Forgestar F14's SDC 19x9.5F 19x11R | 255.35 295.30

Appreciate 0
      03-26-2013, 10:12 AM   #7
whats77inaname
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: when at all possible

OP, similarly, I recently drove a Gallardo, this one, as a matter of fact: http://lonestarexoticrentals.com/1-hour It was nice, and it *def* garners a lot more attention. It was very raw, as well....*loved* the sound of the engine behind me, and it accelerated deliciously, but....... I like my M3 more. Sure, the sheer performance numbers are staggering, but after the s/c, those numbers won't be so lofty. Not hating on the Gallardo, but I'd rather have the M.

Now if the Lambo was the TT variant, that would be another story altogether *lol*

Last edited by whats77inaname; 03-26-2013 at 10:48 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2013, 09:27 AM   #8
m3anAPPLE
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms372 View Post
you can actually get a better driving feel and experience in the M, supercharger for power and a good set of rims and tires with some coils would change the M. IMO lambos are more show than anything, its more like look at me and running one on a track will cost $$$ n putting on the miles with depreciate the car dramatically. plus 90% of their owners will never do more than a drive around the city in the car.
I hope so. For me the Lambo was too easy to drive. I don't mind more of a challenge.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2013, 12:32 AM   #9
TTBear
Captain
Rep
Drives: '20 Huracán/'19 M2Comp/'23 X4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms372 View Post
This is an interesting comment - "IMO lambos are more show than anything, its (sic) more like look at me..."

I miss a LOT about my M3, which was modified moderately, with full bolt-ons and KW V3 coilovers. I wrote up a little review after I took delivery of my LP560, here:

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=664886

As you can see, I am VERY much an M3 fan, and yet, I can assure you, Lambos (at least in LP560 guise) are NOT all about show. I tracked my M3 extensively, and have also tracked the LP560. It may be purely subjective, but the driving experience of the M3 does not exceed the LP560 - even in modified form. Don't get me wrong - I LOVED my M3, and miss it terribly, but.... in terms of outright performance, and driving exhilaration, the LP560 is crazy. Maybe it's because the guys commenting here were not allowed to drive the LP560 (or, in one case, the pre-LP Gallardo, which wasn't really any faster than a stock M3) at its absolute limits, but to be honest, it's pretty hard to justify a statement that the M3 would exceed the performance of an LP560 - even modified. To say that it costs so much to track a Lambo is interesting, too. For me, to get the M3 to an acceptable level for the track, it cost me tons (bolt ons, coilovers, better rubber). For the Lambo, it cost me.... nothing. I left it stock, and it performs amazingly well.

Quote:
I hope so. For me the Lambo was too easy to drive. I don't mind more of a challenge.
Too easy to drive? Wow. Remember, this is an M3 forum - a car that makes mediocre drivers look good, given that it IS so easy to drive. The LP560, driven at its limit, is far from "easy" to drive.

Flame suit on. I am in no way saying the M3 is anything other than THE best sports car around. It is, by virtue of the fact that it does everything so well. I wish I still owned mine, dearly. That said, it is still a sedan. After owning both, I can safely say that no amount of mods would have an M3 bettering an LP560 in driving experience - just the seating position alone is enough to negate such a statement. That said, you can throw a bazillion dollars at almost anything, and have it perform well. It's like comparing apples to (modified) oranges. It's stupid.

Anyone who thinks that an M3's abilities exceed those of an LP560, is welcome to come visit me at a track day, and drive my car hard. We'll see what your opinion is afterwards!

I don't want to come off sounding all superior, like "I drive a Lambo, so nothing else can ever come close" - that isn't the case, at all. I still believe that the M3 is the best all around sports car made. But, some of the comments in this thread bear addressing, methinks.....

Last edited by TTBear; 03-28-2013 at 12:38 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2013, 11:39 AM   #10
m3anAPPLE
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

TTBear ..Thanks for your comments. I will read your thread after this post. It's nice to read an owners perspective because you've driven both cars extensively so yes I can read your post without thinking you're a 'hater' or knocking the m3. And my question was a real honest question, I wasn't trying to knock the Lambo, not at all, I loved my experience in the car. It just wasn't what I expected. When you dream about a car since 6yo, had 10 Lamborghini posters on your walls groing up and then at 31 you finally get to drive it a lot of what you thought or imagined about that car goes away or is set straight. EXCEPT my time in the LP560-4 was so short that I still had more questions. My original question being one.
When I said the car was too easy to drive that was based on my expectation being different. To me driving the Lambo was like driving a really really fast go-kart. that's not a bad thing I just didn't expect that. Don't get me wrong I JUST DROVE A LAMBORGHINI and I'm still excited about that, I am but again I wasn't expecting that comparison.

And again my question wasn't about comparing there abilities so much as it is/was about the feel/experience. If you say that there is no comparison there ill take your word for it. Question though do you feel the power loads up in sharp corners with the AWD or was that me giving it too much gas? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2013, 02:29 AM   #11
klammer
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 11 spc gry m3 e90, 19 X5

Just thought I'd throw this out there. The Lambo looked great out there and the guy was super cool. Not bad for a 4-door

03-29-2013, 04:17 AM   #12
S65V8
*_*
United_States
Rep
Drives: ...

TTBear - fair comments all around. Still amazes me someone who owns a LP-560 can still honestly say they miss the M3 after all is said and done. I've said many times as well, having this M3 in the garage as a keeper won't be a bad idea - last of a dying breed of NA V8s, MT, and all-around performing daily driver + track toy. That combination isn't coming back it seems.

But you put me in a LP-560, and I'm taking it, I won't be missing jack s*it... haha.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2013, 05:42 PM   #13
av2
Private
Rep
Drives: e92 M3 DCT

Quote:
My question is will supercharging the e90M and a brake upgrade give an already supreme handling high revving car a similar driving experience as the LP560-4?
Thanks.
Like you, I've driven a LP560-4 on the track but with Exotic Racings. It would be hard to match the driving experience with the Lambo in terms of the sound, the rawness of the engine and that "kick in your pants" up and down shifts. To make the M3 more exciting to drive, sticker tires, competition package, with an M exhaust might get you closer to that experience. The M3 sits too high to give you that race car feel.

Current: E92 M3 DCT, Cayenne Turbo S, Ferrari F430 F1
Past:911 Turbo (996), C32 AMG, S2000, (E36) M3, Supra TT, MR2 Turbo
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2013, 08:18 PM   #14
Slapshot9
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 M3 JzB 6MT

I highly recommend taking a GT-3 for a spin around your favorite track.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2013, 09:19 PM   #15
Brucewonder
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 yea boi

lulz at guys saying m3 is better than a lambo
      04-03-2013, 10:39 PM   #16
Nordstat
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Porsche 911 Turbo S

Quote:
Originally Posted by klammer
Just thought I'd throw this out there. The Lambo looked great out there and the guy was super cool. Not bad for a 4-door

A good driving line makes all the difference. Well done!
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2013, 02:15 PM   #17
m3anAPPLE
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by av2 View Post
The M3 sits too high to give you that race car feel.
Good point. Yeah The m3 does sit high comparatively but that also gives me the feeling that I'm driving a car. In the Lambo I felt like I was driving something similar to a GoKart. There was almost NO body roll. It was cool. So I guess from that point alone the experience would always be different.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2013, 09:36 PM   #18
TrevorM3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 6.3 AMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucewonder View Post
lulz at guys saying m3 is better than a lambo

exactly what I was thinking.. jeeez....

I'll take a the Lambo over 5 M3's.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2013, 01:26 AM   #19
TTBear
Captain
Rep
Drives: '20 Huracán/'19 M2Comp/'23 X4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by SROC5 View Post
.............But you put me in a LP-560, and I'm taking it, I won't be missing jack s*it... haha.
I literally laughed out loud when I read this...... thanks

I DO miss the M3, though. It does EVERYTHING so well. I can't honestly say that about the Gallardo.

I will be back, though. I need a daily driver - I am dying to see what the new M3 is going to be like..... can't wait....
      04-09-2013, 08:33 AM   #20
Wendall
***Major MammelToe
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 SG coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTBear View Post
This is an interesting comment - "IMO lambos are more show than anything, its (sic) more like look at me..."

I miss a LOT about my M3, which was modified moderately, with full bolt-ons and KW V3 coilovers. I wrote up a little review after I took delivery of my LP560, here:

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=664886

As you can see, I am VERY much an M3 fan, and yet, I can assure you, Lambos (at least in LP560 guise) are NOT all about show. I tracked my M3 extensively, and have also tracked the LP560. It may be purely subjective, but the driving experience of the M3 does not exceed the LP560 - even in modified form. Don't get me wrong - I LOVED my M3, and miss it terribly, but.... in terms of outright performance, and driving exhilaration, the LP560 is crazy. Maybe it's because the guys commenting here were not allowed to drive the LP560 (or, in one case, the pre-LP Gallardo, which wasn't really any faster than a stock M3) at its absolute limits, but to be honest, it's pretty hard to justify a statement that the M3 would exceed the performance of an LP560 - even modified. To say that it costs so much to track a Lambo is interesting, too. For me, to get the M3 to an acceptable level for the track, it cost me tons (bolt ons, coilovers, better rubber). For the Lambo, it cost me.... nothing. I left it stock, and it performs amazingly well.

Too easy to drive? Wow. Remember, this is an M3 forum - a car that makes mediocre drivers look good, given that it IS so easy to drive. The LP560, driven at its limit, is far from "easy" to drive.

Flame suit on. I am in no way saying the M3 is anything other than THE best sports car around. It is, by virtue of the fact that it does everything so well. I wish I still owned mine, dearly. That said, it is still a sedan. After owning both, I can safely say that no amount of mods would have an M3 bettering an LP560 in driving experience - just the seating position alone is enough to negate such a statement. That said, you can throw a bazillion dollars at almost anything, and have it perform well. It's like comparing apples to (modified) oranges. It's stupid.

Anyone who thinks that an M3's abilities exceed those of an LP560, is welcome to come visit me at a track day, and drive my car hard. We'll see what your opinion is afterwards!

I don't want to come off sounding all superior, like "I drive a Lambo, so nothing else can ever come close" - that isn't the case, at all. I still believe that the M3 is the best all around sports car made. But, some of the comments in this thread bear addressing, methinks.....
Your response is greatly appreciated. Sometimes this forum is just crazy. Even Pre LP Gallardo are much superior than E9X M3s.
E92 M3 SG DCT - AA Filter, Verstraβe Paddles, ECS SS, MH race stud, Stoptech BBK, MR Exhaust,RE Pulley, BPM Tune,Euro bumper and GTS lip, Euro MDM & DCT, KW CS, Recaro PP, TMS Soild Diff Mounts, MRF solid subframe mounts, GTS aero, RPM track built motor.

Appreciate 0
      04-09-2013, 09:27 AM   #21
bga23
Dirty old man
Rep
Drives: 2021 718 Cayman GTS 4.0

How about Lambo-ing the four doors?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-10-2013, 10:57 AM   #22
shu5892001
Second Lieutenant