BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

12-15-2012, 01:56 AM   #1
aussiem3
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Goggomobil

Garage List
240E and BPM tune ... can't stop driving!

I finally took the plunge and after five years of ownership contacted Mike for a tune. After series of PMs the day finally came today, Saturday. Reading of my ECU showed I had 140E in my 2007 M3, which in fact was updated in September 2009.

The only delay in the whole process was the backing up of 140E (in case!). That took 35 minutes exact. Then liaising through Skype the internet I had the 240E tune minus increase in rev limiter, top speed and cold start cycle.

I know people have written post after post praising the tune and how it comes alive from 5k rpm. For me the tune works across the whole rpm range regardless of the speed or gear. It's an amazing feeling and it feels like you're driving a totally new car. No kidding. I took a slow corner in fourth and buried the right foot ... the car just kept accelerating. Before it would struggle before hitting the sweet spot in the rpm range and then accelerate. What a piece of work!

I was making every excuse to get out of the house to drive this car today. Just purely breathtaking, and the acceleration blows you away. I now know what people were saying about 5k rpm and above. I am not going to use word like "gorilla", "rape" in describing my experience. The experience just blows you away.

What I liked about this who experience is the customer service experience I had when dealing with Mike. I sent him PM after PM querying him about everything. At times he was a day late (that's understandable given his popularity), but he still responded politely and to the point. Made me feel at ease with the whole tuning process. I knew I was in safe hands and nothing could go wrong. There are things that are beyond our control. Those were factored in. But in terms of the tune, I had no second thoughts.

To be honest ... this has been one fabulous experience. Thank you Mike. I won't say anymore. I will leave the car to do the talking.

Man, I am like a kid with the biggest present in the world for a bargain price.
      12-16-2012, 02:46 AM   #2
REP1KRR
My other car is a Scooter'ia
Rep
Drives: M3 Saloon

Great review. I'm running the same tune from MikeBPM, and 240E software update. Couldn't be happier. It's been about a month and a half now, and I'm still loving it. Buried my previous NA tune. Just simply no comparison. If you're considering a tune (and you should be ), take the time to talk with Mike.

A91 Edition Supra | Armytrix | Rays
M3 Saloon | Akrapovic EVO | B&G Sport
M3 Saloon | VF540 | Klässen ID M52-R | Akrapovic | Vorsteiner GTS5 | KarbonWerke CSL [SOLD]
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2012, 06:21 AM   #3
JHFW89225
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
2008 335i  [0.00]
Just curious about actual gains, I currently have a Dinan tune.
I was looking into the turner motorsport tune and they claim a 40hp gain!
2005 BMW X3 3.0i

Last edited by JHFW89225; 12-16-2012 at 06:54 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2012, 08:00 AM   #4
aussiem3
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Goggomobil

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshuaWong1989 View Post
When I had my E46 M3, I got the DMS tune. The tune gave me 2 kw shy of what the CSL produced. I didn't feel a thing with this tune. The car drove as normal, and I don't know whether they actually tuned the car to be honest. I didn't get an opportunity to dyno the car.

When I went for the BPM tune through Mike, it was not about what the gain was. I closely followed the post where people had received this tune, and it was all about driveability. That's what I wanted. I wanted something different from stock.

Also I wanted "something" that I can use all the time, and not once in a while.

That's what I have got now. You can feel "something" through all the rpm range, and that "something" only your right foot can feel and experience. It's just amazing. To be honest, you need to experience it. Let me put it like this, and if someone out there with the same correct me if I am wrong, the car is eager to respond at all time even if you flex your tiny toe. Then your brain tells you that you can feel a new sensation. Instantaneous response. And guess what, it is all the time. I am merely stating what others have said through my experience with my own words. If I gain KW/torque then that's a bonus.

After driving the car in sports mode since I got the car, I now drive in normal mode. Doesn't that say something.

As you know, I've had the car for over five years now, and just wanted to feel something different. Actually it's like driving a different car.

By the way, I have no affiliation, and like all others, I too paid good $$ and full price for my tune. I have nothing to gain out of this. I am only sharing my experience.

It also goes to show, you don't have to be a world renowned tuner to produce something like this. I think also what it comes down to is, Mike drives his ///3 on a daily basis (so he said), which means he is his own customer and knows what exactly he wants. He's constantly striving to improve. This is a win-win for us at the end of the day.
      12-16-2012, 09:54 AM   #5
Superfly_M3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

great write up. Enjoy the tune.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2012, 03:15 PM   #6
Wendall
***Major MammelToe
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 SG coupe

I just left Mikes pad with my new BPM tune. Its pretty damn amazing. I have to run but I will post my review tonight!
E92 M3 SG DCT - AA Filter, Verstraβe Paddles, ECS SS, MH race stud, Stoptech BBK, MR Exhaust,RE Pulley, BPM Tune,Euro bumper and GTS lip, Euro MDM & DCT, KW CS, Recaro PP, TMS Soild Diff Mounts, MRF solid subframe mounts, GTS aero, RPM track built motor.

Appreciate 0
      12-16-2012, 03:59 PM   #7
M3GTC
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [9.50]
Quote:
I switched over from Dinan tune and its a huge improvement.

The turner motorsport tune is stage 2 which means for those gains you need to run their test pipe which is a 28hp gain by itself and no tune
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2012, 12:39 AM   #8
jbkonis
Private
Rep
Drives: 17 ZCP M3, 15 X5M

I only run BPM tunes. They rock hard core. First M3, than X5M, and soon F10 M5.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2012, 11:05 AM   #9
JHFW89225
Major
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
2008 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3GTC View Post
I switched over from Dinan tune and its a huge improvement.

The turner motorsport tune is stage 2 which means for those gains you need to run their test pipe which is a 28hp gain by itself and no tune
Test pipe as in primary cat delete or the secondary cat delete?

I have the Akrapovic Evo and stock header.
2005 BMW X3 3.0i
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2012, 11:46 AM   #10
Porschefile
Major
Rep

Quote:
Test pipe as in primary cat delete or the secondary cat delete?

I have the Akrapovic Evo and stock header.
Primary. The stock headers in the E9X don't have cats anyway.

All of the things I've heard about BPM and Mike have been great, it is on my short to-do list.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2012, 03:14 PM   #11
JHFW89225
Major
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
2008 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porschefile View Post
Primary. The stock headers in the E9X don't have cats anyway.

All of the things I've heard about BPM and Mike have been great, it is on my short to-do list.
Thanks for the quick reply! So does that mean I can keep my Akrapovic X pipe and just swap the ECU and still get some decent gains ?
2005 BMW X3 3.0i
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2012, 12:18 AM   #12
Porschefile
Major
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the quick reply! So does that mean I can keep my Akrapovic X pipe and just swap the ECU and still get some decent gains ?
I don't know a whole lot about the Akra systems, but I'm sure you'd see some nice gains with getting your ECU tuned, yeah.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2012, 07:53 AM   #13
LarThaL
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

With regards to the software files:

1. Do you download them or are they on a flash drive or disc?

2. Can the files be loaded using a Mac or are they only PC compatible?

Thanks.
      12-25-2012, 02:16 PM   #14
Longbow64
_______
Rep
Drives: 15 M3, 13 X3 35i MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarThaL View Post
With regards to the software files:

1. Do you download them or are they on a flash drive or disc?

2. Can the files be loaded using a Mac or are they only PC compatible?

Thanks.
I received two maps in an email. They are a .mod file. You just plug in the cable to your OBDII to your USB, turn the car on (eng off), open iFlash BMW (downloadable) and upload the file. Takes about 3 min to load onto the car. Restart the car, disconnect everything, and start driving.

I'm not sure if there is a mac version.
      12-25-2012, 02:32 PM   #15
BPMSport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: Harrop M3 / F10 M5 / F82 M4

Garage List
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
1990 BMW 735i Turbo  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longbow64 View Post
I received two maps in an email. They are a .mod file. You just plug in the cable to your OBDII to your USB, turn the car on (eng off), open iFlash BMW (downloadable) and upload the file. Takes about 3 min to load onto the car. Restart the car, disconnect everything, and start driving.

I'm not sure if there is a mac version.
Correct - I ususally email them to you or give you a download link for your file. Then using BPMFlash you can easily load the file in.

No Mac version yet, sorry. But you can use Bootcamp/Parallels/VMWare on the Mac.

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2012, 02:47 PM   #16
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3,G20 330ix,F22 240iX,F82

Great choice - I have nothing but great things to say about my BPMSport stage 2 tunes
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2012, 03:17 PM   #17
Dave2
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 M3 Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Benvo View Post
Correct - I ususally email them to you or give you a download link for your file. Then using BPMFlash you can easily load the file in.

No Mac version yet, sorry. But you can use Bootcamp/Parallels/VMWare on the Mac.
Mike,

Please provide more details on this tune along with pricing. The OP mentioned keeping the rpm limit, cold cycle time, an top speed limit unchanged. Is the software customizable for each purchaser or is it an al la carte type menu of options?

I have a 2011 M3. The drivetrain, including exhaust, is stock. What should I expect from a tune?

I am unfamiliar with with reading or programming the ECU through the OBD port. Is there an instructional manual for this task?
      12-26-2012, 12:33 AM   #18
///M Rakete
Rocket Scientist
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2018 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave2 View Post
Mike,

Please provide more details on this tune along with pricing. The OP mentioned keeping the rpm limit, cold cycle time, an top speed limit unchanged. Is the software customizable for each purchaser or is it an al la carte type menu of options?

I have a 2011 M3. The drivetrain, including exhaust, is stock. What should I expect from a tune?

I am unfamiliar with with reading or programming the ECU through the OBD port. Is there an instructional manual for this task?
Mike is taking a well needed break and I don't want to speak for him but perhaps I can give you some answers from my experience and partial understanding...

The "tune", as differentiated from the engine management and control laws (e.g. 240E, the current DME code base) plus coded options (e.g. folding mirrors) or selected modules (Euro MDM is a module that is present, just needs to be turned on as I understand it) is the result of Mike's exhaustive work to refine the parametric data and control law coefficients employed by the DME itself, in furtherance of improving performance and drivability. Mike has worked to modify the various maps and tables that are used to drive throttle response, ignition timing, fuel mixture, etc.

The pricing of the tune reflects the effort put into this, namely hundreds of hours and thousands of miles, and the results one can expect. Also the reliability and the means of delivery of the tune are significant value contributors.

Speaking of which...

I have found the Stage I tune to produce much smoother engine operation particularly noticeable during acceleration, maybe actually faster to redline, more oomph in shifting (DCT). It is not like dropping a supercharger in but it is worth it in my opinion. I'm running 94 octane and that helps but doesn't alone account for the improvements.

In my case I elected to retain the stock rpm limit and the cat heat cycle on startup (no emissions impact this way). I elected to go with the cold start rpm limiter and eliminate the speed limiter not that I had a serious issue with either. I also have the CEL inhibitor for absent catalysts (efficiency) but this is a no op in my case unless I do modify the exhaust that way. All other oxygen sensor function and OBD/CEL function is unaffected.

There are many things that can be tailored and there is a Stage II tune for those with major exhaust modifications. You can find more information in the vendor section where the group buy is posted.
      12-26-2012, 12:46 PM   #19
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave2 View Post
Mike,

Feel free to check out our group buy going on right now. It may clear up some questions that you have. If you are still unclear, feel free to shoot me a PM and I would be happy to speak with you. http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=784717
Appreciate 0