BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

BPM

03-30-2018, 01:22 PM   #23
EJT86
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
  [0.00]
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
honestly i would think the profit from having new rod bearings done would offset any depreciation from having it SCd
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2018, 03:06 PM   #24
SDPLV
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3 DCT Silverstone II

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by eatsleepboost View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by xcusem3 View Post
If you really want an sc then go for it, premature engine wear and a lower resale value are almost guaranteed.
I would pay more for a supercharged car that was just somebody's toy who likes fast cars than a non charged car that has spent most of it's life on the track. The non charged car will have more wear on every component on the car.

Also what premature wear? Based on my research of any engine troubles with the s65, mainly rod bearings, the supercharged cars are not failing any faster than the N/A motors. Nor do they have any issues the N/A one doesn't have.
Main bearings...poof.
Current: 08 E90 M3 DCT SSII w/ BE RB Swap, H8 Lux 180s, MS Drop-in AF, CF spoiler, CF diffuser, OEM CF leather trim, CF DCT paddles, Custom DCT flatbottom wheel, MirrorTap 9500ix, RockAuto rotors, Hawk HPS pads, AMS ECU 93 Oct Map Tune, GTS DCT update, Slambo custom undertray
Appreciate 1
xcusem3456.50
      03-30-2018, 03:18 PM   #25
TrAcK TRaP
bOrN To DiE
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 ZCP

Quote:
I would pay more for a supercharged car that was just somebody's toy who likes fast cars than a non charged car that has spent most of it's life on the track. The non charged car will have more wear on every component on the car.

Also what premature wear? Based on my research of any engine troubles with the s65, mainly rod bearings, the supercharged cars are not failing any faster than the N/A motors. Nor do they have any issues the N/A one doesn't have.
Supercharged cars are failing faster than N/A cars trust me. More tuning, pushing harder = more wear simple is that.
Appreciate 1
xcusem3456.50
      03-30-2018, 03:58 PM   #26
///M3Fresh
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:

Gas!
      03-30-2018, 04:38 PM   #27
eatsleepboost
Captain
Rep
Drives: Evo

Just because an m3 is supercharged does not mean that engine will be more worn. Its not black and white like you make it out to be.

If you are shopping for a used car and you find 2 cars..

Car #1) Owned by me in this example,
Supercharged
Oil changed every 4K.
Warmed up properly every drive cycle
Never tracked
93 octane only
Babied around town to car shows, cruises, dates with the girl
Car barely gets above 1psi of boost on most drives
Once a month gets driven hard for less than 10 minutes
Has been at these exact conditions for 30,000 miles

Vs

Car #2)
N/A
91 Octane or 87 whatever the pump attendant remembers to put in
Oil changed every 15K or whenever they have time
Driven hard every day. Red light to red light racer. Lead foot
Start and pull away on an ice cold engine
Races every civic that pulls up and revs next to it
Track every other weekend
Original air filter
Burnouts and donuts are fun

Do you still believe that car 2 has the healthier engine?

If both cars were under the same circumstances as car 2 then I agree that car #1 will have more engine wear for sure but you guys are just using a blanket statement that supercharged engines are getting beat to shit no matter what.

I would love to see some threads or websites regarding all this wear you 3 are talking about. Maybe you can change my mind but no helpful information has been provided.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2018, 05:11 PM   #28
SDPLV
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3 DCT Silverstone II

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Just because an m3 is supercharged does not mean that engine will be more worn. Its not black and white like you make it out to be.

Supercharged
Oil changed every 4K.
Never tracked
93 octane only

Vs

Car #2)
N/A
Original air filter

If both cars were under the same circumstances as car 2 then I agree that car #1 will have more engine wear for sure but you guys are just using a blanket statement that supercharged engines are getting beat to shit no matter what.

I would love to see some threads or websites regarding all this wear you 3 are talking about. Maybe you can change my mind but no helpful information has been provided.
Bruh who you tryna play?

Majority of SC cars will get beat to shit far earlier than any stock ride.
Current: 08 E90 M3 DCT SSII w/ BE RB Swap, H8 Lux 180s, MS Drop-in AF, CF spoiler, CF diffuser, OEM CF leather trim, CF DCT paddles, Custom DCT flatbottom wheel, MirrorTap 9500ix, RockAuto rotors, Hawk HPS pads, AMS ECU 93 Oct Map Tune, GTS DCT update, Slambo custom undertray
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2018, 05:32 PM   #29
eatsleepboost
Captain
Rep

Great facts
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2018, 02:51 PM   #30
TTony
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, Macan Turbo, IS350

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_love_cars View Post
If you want an all-around badass car, then supercharge it. In my opinion, the supercharger makes this car viable to keep around and be relevant while retaining the fact that it has a V8, high revs, hydraulic steering, and plenty good enough tech, with a very comfortable interior. The only real shortcoming one can say about this car is horsepower (arguably, depending on what you care about). But if you care about power and also love the V8 in this car and what makes it special, then IMO supercharging is a great way to really make the E9x a monster that's engaging and unique in a world where all other cars seem to be going the opposite direction.
This.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2018, 03:05 PM   #31
MULLET
F1 FAN
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 DCT, f30 328i M 8AT

Stay NA unless you’re going into Formula D
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2018, 05:53 PM   #32
srmast1
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 6mt AW m2

Garage List
2008 Audi A4  [0.00]
2019 Acura MDX SH-AWD  [0.00]
2011 e90 M3  [0.00]
It only makes sense, subjecting an engine to more torque/power than it was designed to handle could result in premature engine wear. I would bet a 550 kit would be less wear and tear than a 650 kit, but if bearings have been done and the car only sees light/medium duty maybe it will be fine.

As far as researching this topic, validity of data comes down to the honesty and personal integrity of multiple owners of failed m3's reporting that they were or were not supercharged prior to failure. This personal admission of supercharging would potentially void warranties and create zero bmw forgiveness chance. It seems to me that its in the owner's best interest to remove said supercharger and other mods before turning it in for inspection and repairs. So if this owner brings in their vehicle as "stock" to their warranty company after mods are removed, and this is repeated by others many times, it creates bad data on the subject. There really is no way to know how many engine failures were due to supercharging or aggressive tunes or mods, etc.. But it can't be good for engine life from a mechanical stand point.

OP, if you are planning on selling the car in a year or two, then I would not supercharge because you could greatly decrease the number of potential interested parties. This is unless, you return your car to stock and claim a "stock" car which seems to be a legal offense and not advisable. I'd say if it's for track use, then make sure your key engine components are reinforced and supercharge.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2018, 10:31 PM   #33
Dr. Dre
the doctor
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 Alpine White

Quote:

Supercharged
Oil changed every 4K.
Never tracked
93 octane only

Vs

Car #2)
N/A
Original air filter

Why would anyone install a supercharger on an M3 and drive it easy. That individual has basically made the decision that the car in it's NA state is not fast enough. They are going to install a supercharger and drive it easy. That doesn't make sense.

Maybe I'm just getting old. I bought my car with 80K and had the bearings done. Even with high miles the car seems plenty fast. No need to supercharge the car.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2018, 08:08 AM   #34
Properstyle
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 e90 ZCP m3

I've found that more with with NA cars beat the hell out of them. Its goes the same for the guy who rides a 600cc bike vs the 1000cc bike. the guy driving the slower car does more hard driving to make him self think the car is faster while the driver of the faster car is easily satisfied by a 1 gear pull.

Just because there is a blower doesn't mean I have to drive the car lke a stole it 24/7 and in my personal case I don't When I was NA i liked to slide turns and make the car show me what it can do. When I put the blower on I also started running r888rs, Tires aren't cheap and they go fast if I'm not actually racing I don't beat on the car. No need to. When someone pulls up next to me on the hwy, I half the time pay them no attention at all. I have nothing to prove, I drive a 570whp m3. Same goes for my 900whp Z, I don't beat the shit out it just because I have the extra power. Its easier to be enteretained by a small pull then doing all out pulls from 2nd gear until 5th like you would do in a 300whp car.
Appreciate 2
      04-01-2018, 09:02 AM   #35
eatsleepboost
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Properstyle View Post
I've found that more with with NA cars beat the hell out of them. Its goes the same for the guy who rides a 600cc bike vs the 1000cc bike. the guy driving the slower car does more hard driving to make him self think the car is faster while the driver of the faster car is easily satisfied by a 1 gear pull.

Just because there is a blower doesn't mean I have to drive the car lke a stole it 24/7 and in my personal case I don't When I was NA i liked to slide turns and make the car show me what it can do. When I put the blower on I also started running r888rs, Tires aren't cheap and they go fast if I'm not actually racing I don't beat on the car. No need to. When someone pulls up next to me on the hwy, I half the time pay them no attention at all. I have nothing to prove, I drive a 570whp m3. Same goes for my 900whp Z, I don't beat the shit out it just because I have the extra power. Its easier to be enteretained by a small pull then doing all out pulls from 2nd gear until 5th like you would do in a 300whp car.
+1 to all of that.
Appreciate 1
      04-01-2018, 09:53 AM   #36
rhyary
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

A car is a depreciating asset.
a modified car is depreciating asset on steroids.

modify a car, any car, simply for your enjoyment.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2018, 11:33 AM   #37
EJT86
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
OP hasn’t said anything in 4 days lol why is this convo still going on?
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2018, 12:39 PM   #38
BOOF-M3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJT86 View Post
OP hasn't said anything in 4 days lol why is this convo still going on?
I do find it funny when people ask a question but then never follow up and tell us what happened. And you sir need to get that M3 out of the paint/body shop and start driving it. It will not drive itself.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2018, 12:53 PM   #39
EJT86
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOOF-M3 View Post
I do find it funny when people ask a question but then never follow up and tell us what happened. And you sir need to get that M3 out of your garage and start driving it. It will not drove itself.
You mean get it out of the body/paint shop? Yes I agree it’s been almost two weeks
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2018, 01:03 PM   #40
BOOF-M3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I do find it funny when people ask a question but then never follow up and tell us what happened. And you sir need to get that M3 out of your garage and start driving it. It will not drove itself.
You mean get it out of the body/paint shop? Yes I agree it's been almost two weeks
That's what i said. Paint/body shop.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2018, 02:44 PM   #41
EJT86
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
That's what is said. Paint/body shop.
Nope I quoted you now it’s etched on the internet for life
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2018, 02:50 PM   #42
BOOF-M3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
That's what is said. Paint/body shop.
Nope I quoted you now itÂ’s etched on the internet for life
Slight of hand on one of our parts, hmmm.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2018, 04:18 PM   #43
ard5040
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 X3 xdrive35i, Macan S

Quote:
OP hasn’t said anything in 4 days lol why is this convo still going on?
Will be installing the supercharger as soon as the shop can fit me in. Thanks for the input. I didn't reply because I wanted to hear others opinions. Didn't think that there was anything for me to respond to since I asked for other members thoughts.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2018, 05:02 PM   #44
BOOF-M3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ard5040 View Post
Quote:
OP hasnÂ’t said anything in 4 days lol why is this convo still going on?
Will be installing the supercharger as soon as the shop can fit me in. Thanks for the input. I didn't reply because I wanted to hear others opinions. Didn't think that there was anything for me to respond to since I asked for other members thoughts.
Our friend gets very impatient, good to hear you are going for it. Which charger are you going with?
Appreciate 0