BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

EXXEL Distributions

04-23-2016, 11:12 AM   #1
///Mobbin
Colonel
Rep
Drives: m3

Bilstein HD EDC or B16 Damptronic and increased spring rates

I just came across this video where Vorshlag talks about doubling the spring rates that come with a Bilstein PSS kit and even converting the kit to 60mm springs. I'm curious if anyone's tried increasing spring rates on Bilstein kits and how the street comfort is if so?

I'm about to buy Vorshlag camber plates and may also consider the Bilstein HD EDC kit (B6 Damptronic) if I can pair some more aggressive springs with it. On my stock ZCP setup I cycle through EDC settings every day and am not ready to give that up quite yet. Thoughts appreciated!

https://youtu.be/80m4Qsd2OAo

Bilstein HD EDC Thread

Bilstein B16 Damptronic Thread
      04-24-2016, 08:16 AM   #2
///Mobbin
Colonel
Rep

Another Bilstein HD EDC Thread

Batsignal: lutfy ashtaron14 PandaM3
      04-24-2016, 09:36 AM   #3
///Mobbin
Colonel
Rep

It's my understanding that the Bilstein HD EDC struts paired with OE springs would raise my car to OE non-ZCP ride height but I would like to stay close to ZCP ride height to the extent possible, which I believe is ~10mm lower.

Swift Springs do appear to have more aggressive spring rates but would sit a bit lower than ZCP.

Swift Spring Specs

279 lbs/inch front and 670 lbs/inch rear
25mm front and 18mm rear drop
      04-24-2016, 09:58 AM   #4
///Mobbin
Colonel
Rep

Dinan performance springs provide about a ~12mm drop front/rear which would be perfect but they provide no info on their spring rates. They also offer front 'race-spec' springs separately which they indicate provide 19% increased stiffness over their performance kit, again no rate is provided.

Dinan Performance Spring Set

Dinan Track Spec Front Springs
      04-24-2016, 10:06 AM   #5
///Mobbin
Colonel
Rep

I'm not sure this is necessary with the bump stops integrated in the Bilstein HD EDC shock bodies but worth considering for extra rear shock travel. I'll have to revisit this.

Dinan Rear Upper Shock Mounts
      04-24-2016, 08:39 PM   #6
ashtaron14
Major
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: G80 M3

I'm running B6 Damptronic with Swift Spec-R now. Previously, I was on my ZCP springs for about a year.

The ZCP springs will work with the B6 Damptronic, but Bilstein recommends an aftermarket spring and it's well worth it.

Pairing the Swift Spec-R with the B6 Damptronic, everything that I didn't like about the ZCP was taken away. The car doesn't wiggle around after going over a speed bump anymore. The car is not as harsh in city speeds. The EDC modes are pushed up a little. If the original EDC Comfort, Normal, and Sport are represented by 0, 1, and 2. The B6 is 0.5, 1.5, and 3.
      04-25-2016, 10:04 AM   #7
lutfy
Captain
Rep
Drives: G87 M2, NASA ST5 86, Defender

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashtaron14 View Post
I'm running B6 Damptronic with Swift Spec-R now. Previously, I was on my ZCP springs for about a year.

The ZCP springs will work with the B6 Damptronic, but Bilstein recommends an aftermarket spring and it's well worth it.

Pairing the Swift Spec-R with the B6 Damptronic, everything that I didn't like about the ZCP was taken away. The car doesn't wiggle around after going over a speed bump anymore. The car is not as harsh in city speeds. The EDC modes are pushed up a little. If the original EDC Comfort, Normal, and Sport are represented by 0, 1, and 2. The B6 is 0.5, 1.5, and 3.
^ what he said.

I went with Eibachs (live in highly taxed DC with nation's worst streets) so wanted softer rates just to be extra safe. Car is actually smoother in the city compared to OE. On the track, the extra rebound is worth it. Have the same experience as Ashtaron.

I wouldnt worry about the Dinan upper mounts or such. Just pair them with Swifts and call it a day.

Lutfy
Appreciate 1
      04-25-2016, 10:37 AM   #8
///Mobbin
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashtaron14 View Post

Thanks for the feedback and great to hear this setup is still working well for you! I found pics of your car in it's current configuration here: LINK

I'm curious what the largest tires you've run with this setup are? My track set is currently F-275/35R18 and R-295/35R18 which I think should still fit but slightly concerned about the 295's in the back with the extra drop from the Swifts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lutfy View Post
^ what he said.

I went with Eibachs (live in highly taxed DC with nation's worst streets) so wanted softer rates just to be extra safe. Car is actually smoother in the city compared to OE. On the track, the extra rebound is worth it. Have the same experience as Ashtaron.

I wouldnt worry about the Dinan upper mounts or such. Just pair them with Swifts and call it a day.

Lutfy
Thanks Lutfy, great to hear your feedback as well. I was curious if you had thought to go up on the spring rates but the Eibachs make sense for DC streets.

I've also reached out to Vorshlag to get their recommendation.
      04-25-2016, 12:14 PM   #9
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep
Drives: black m3

i think you can go up in spring rate and still have the car feel smooth on city streets as long as the damping is pretty good. that 2xx rate in front seems super soft.
      04-25-2016, 01:52 PM   #10
///Mobbin
Colonel
Rep

So neither Vorshlag nor Bilstein recommends going up in spring rate on the Bilstein HD EDC (B6 Damptronic) kit as they were valved and configured with OEM spring rates in mind. Vorshlag would instead recommend the PSS-10 or B16 Damptronic kit and could configure 60mm springs with either of these kits as they come with a lower spring perches for 60mm springs already (which can easily be adapted to other 60 mm springs). Vorshlag also mentioned that each of these kits are valved to accommodate higher spring rates and would thus be a better match for what I am after.

With that in mind I think I am just going to grab Vorshlag camber plates for now and revisit my suspension decision later in the year. If I do get the B16 kit I will likely try the factory-configured progressive springs first and then maybe switch to a linear 60mm spring setup at some-point after that so I can see how they differ.

Just for everyone's info (and to save Vorshlag the extra questions on this setup), I am buying the OEM spring perch Vorshlag camber plates now, if I want to run the B16 kit later, I can re-use my same camber plates with the factory configured B16 springs (they are OEM sized springs at the top). Then if I want to switch to 60mm springs at some point, Vorshlag indicated that I would also need to get some small spools for $25 and a pair of 60mm upper camber-plate-perches for $75, not bad. Plus the cost of the springs of course.

Thanks all for the advice thus far and please share if you have any more info on these setups!
      04-26-2016, 07:39 AM   #11
lutfy
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Mobbin View Post
So neither Vorshlag nor Bilstein recommends going up in spring rate on the Bilstein HD EDC (B6 Damptronic) kit as they were valved and configured with OEM spring rates in mind. Vorshlag would instead recommend the PSS-10 or B16 Damptronic kit and could configure 60mm springs with either of these kits as they come with a lower spring perches for 60mm springs already (which can easily be adapted to other 60 mm springs). Vorshlag also mentioned that each of these kits are valved to accommodate higher spring rates and would thus be a better match for what I am after.

With that in mind I think I am just going to grab Vorshlag camber plates for now and revisit my suspension decision later in the year. If I do get the B16 kit I will likely try the factory-configured progressive springs first and then maybe switch to a linear 60mm spring setup at some-point after that so I can see how they differ.

Just for everyone's info (and to save Vorshlag the extra questions on this setup), I am buying the OEM spring perch Vorshlag camber plates now, if I want to run the B16 kit later, I can re-use my same camber plates with the factory configured B16 springs (they are OEM sized springs at the top). Then if I want to switch to 60mm springs at some point, Vorshlag indicated that I would also need to get some small spools for $25 and a pair of 60mm upper camber-plate-perches for $75, not bad. Plus the cost of the springs of course.

Thanks all for the advice thus far and please share if you have any more info on these setups!
Smart move! What you have is more than adequate for track use. Camber will give you the biggest bang for the buck and reduce time considerably on the track (plus less outside tire wear). Run -2.2 camber up front for track/street.

Cheers,

Lutfy
Appreciate 1
      04-28-2016, 06:44 PM   #12
MFKN3
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: supercharged 4.4L stroker E92

Take a look at ground control's coilover conversion kit too. It includes the camber plates.
Appreciate 1
      04-30-2016, 07:45 AM   #13
///Mobbin
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFKN3 View Post
Take a look at ground control's coilover conversion kit too. It includes the camber plates.
Thanks for the heads up, I also considered this kit but found mixed reviews from folks using higher spring rates with the stock dampers.

I went ahead and purchased the Vorshlag camber plates for now and they should be in next week!
      05-17-2016, 04:06 PM   #14
///Mobbin
Colonel
Rep

Got camber?
Attached Images

07-18-2016, 09:02 PM   #15
lutfy
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Hi Mobbin, do you have any direct info from Bilstein on the B16? Also what is the current rate on the B16 kit? Am wondering what is the max rate Bilstein recommended. Am very interested.

Lutfy
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2016, 09:52 PM   #16
///Mobbin
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lutfy
Quote:
Hi Mobbin, do you have any direct info from Bilstein on the B16? Also what is the current rate on the B16 kit? Am wondering what is the max rate Bilstein recommended. Am very interested.

Lutfy
PM'd.
      07-19-2016, 09:44 AM   #17
Obi Wong Kenobi
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Interested in that info as well Mobbin! Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2016, 10:24 AM   #18
///Mobbin
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obi Wong Kenobi View Post
Interested in that info as well Mobbin! Thanks!
PM'd
      07-19-2016, 10:27 AM   #19
///Mobbin
Colonel
Rep

Folks, be sure to follow this thread also:
Bilstein B16 Damptronic Thread