BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Mporium BMW

12-14-2017, 02:15 AM   #23
kimiraikkonen
Lieutenant
Finland
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by JsL View Post
Wtf, I purchased a Carly mainly because it can register batteries...
So I think I might have found the culprit. I think the older BMWs used a Power Module to manage the battery charging profile...whereas the newer BMWs have moved this into the DME control (and leveraging the IBS for monitoring). My theory is the low-end scanners can probably code new batteries if the car has a Power Module. If the car is newer and uses the DME, then they are out of luck.

BTW, found this writeup on the E65 Power Module, which I think was quite revolutionary when this first came out. Most of the power mgmt capabilities should be on our E9x M3s, but just done so with it now integrated into our DME (vs. this power module).

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...vptRsca8eEqRnh

Also, for kicks, I found this on another site regarding newer BMWs that do not have a Power Module:

http://blog.obdii365.com/2015/04/27/...standard-tool/

<p>How to register old and new BMW vehicle battery?</p>
<p>For older BMW models, register BMW battery with BMW INPA program:</p>
<p>Step 1: select “BODY”<br />
Step 2: select “POWER MODULE”<br />
Step 3: select “ACTIVATE”<br />
Step 4: Select “ACTIVATE2” from the next menu<br />
Step 5: select “F7: Register battery replacement”.<br />
Then INPA will display the register completed prompt “Register battery replacement Activated properly.”</p>
<p>Because newer BMW model does not contain Power Module, INPA cable will not work, Ediabas Toolset32 is required.</p>
<p>Step 1: Locate Ediabas folder<br />
Appreciate 1
Rajmun340413.00
      12-14-2017, 06:45 AM   #24
Solo_M_Tech
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 6MT

Garage List
2014 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimiraikkonen View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ham_sammich View Post
I use the foxwell/scwaben NT510 to register batteries all the time and never have this issue. Cycle the key off and back on after completing the service, and the new mileage and reg date should be stored. If it doesn't, your IBS is malfunctioning.
The car was cycled on and off before I drove it to the mechanic, so that wasn't it unfortunately for me. After registering with Autologic, it shows only 2 registration dates:

1) the one done today with Autologic
2) the previous one done a few years back
*) no logging of the "registrations" from last week with Carly or NT510

This is not a IBS issue (I had thought so too)....as the battery registration logs are done via the power mgmt module in the DME........nothing to do with the IBS.

Have you used the NT510 to successfully register on a E9x M3? I think the tool works for non-M E9x cars but not for the M3, as we use a different DME (MS660). In the past I was going to buy the Bavarian Technic scanner tool to do battery resets, but even they mention that battery reset is only for the non-M E9x cars.

http://www.bavariantechnic.com/modelfeaturematrix.aspx

I know I'm probably doing overkill on this subject, but just want to let the other M3post members who may be driving around thinking they've reset their battery settings.
I've used it on a dozen or so M3's with success. never had an issue with it. I always check the registration date after, and it's always current, showing the registration was successful.

Just because it didn't work for you, doesn't mean it didn't work for everyone. Carly has been used by many with success, as has the foxwell.
      12-14-2017, 11:02 AM   #25
vincE92M3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M

Garage List
'11 E92 M3  [0.00]
I had issues registering my battery with Carly as well. They said they were working on this issue?

2011.5 MY
      12-14-2017, 11:43 AM   #26
kimiraikkonen
Lieutenant
Finland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ham_sammich View Post
I've used it on a dozen or so M3's with success. never had an issue with it. I always check the registration date after, and it's always current, showing the registration was successful.

Just because it didn't work for you, doesn't mean it didn't work for everyone. Carly has been used by many with success, as has the foxwell.
Hi. Thanks for the feedback. Definitely not trying to start a flame war against Carly....as I think it does a decent job on code reading and other things for the price. But as you can see from the thread, this "registration" issue does pop up with other entry-level scan tools as well.

Just curious, how are you able to read the registration date for the battery? I believe only the Mileage of the battery is recorded (stated in km).
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2017, 11:48 AM   #27
kimiraikkonen
Lieutenant
Finland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincE92M3 View Post
I had issues registering my battery with Carly as well. They said they were working on this issue?

2011.5 MY
That's 3 different answers now that I've seen now from Carly:

1) "we are working on it" - which means it's not working today
2) "It's working, but it just doesn't show the change" - The trust and no verify response I received from them
3) "Its' the communication interface speed" - Found this on another thread somewhere, where Carly was saying that the new battery setting couldn't be read and that the user should try changing the communication interface speed to "Slow".............which didn't do anything

It's no different then Carly's response on being able to code Brake Force Display (BFD). Once again, their interface shows the different settings....and the user can walk away thinking they have things coded...when in reality nothing happened.

Emailed Carly on 2 occasions and got 2 different answers regarding BFD:

1) "we are working on it"
2) "BFD is not available on the E9x M3"
Appreciate 2
Jimzym3115.00
Rajmun340413.00
      12-15-2017, 11:57 AM   #28
vincE92M3
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
'11 E92 M3  [0.00]
I want my $9.99 back.
      12-15-2017, 12:23 PM   #29
L4ces
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 Alpine White

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
What tool is the real deal?
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2017, 05:49 PM   #30
EJT86
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
  [0.00]
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
I want my $9.99 back.
Contact whichever app platform you have for a refund. You didn’t receive what you paid for they’ll refund you no problem and maybe they’ll start “working on it” once they start having to pay back money
Appreciate 1
vincE92M3564.00
      12-15-2017, 07:16 PM   #31
JsL
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW M3 ZCP

Quote:
I want my $9.99 back.
I want a refund for the adapter and pro app too! I'm not kidding, emailing them now.

I purchased the adapter and pro app thinking I will be able to register a battery one day.

Attached is what the app shows when I try to register a battery.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-15-2017, 07:19 PM   #32
GRUESOM3
Major
Rep
Drives: 3 NA cars and 1 Turbo car

I was actually going to get Carly to keep in car as backup to laptop +impa but I guess not now.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2017, 07:56 PM   #33
CHE///MIST3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 6MT Space/Black

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
2007 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
So I think I might have found the culprit. I think the older BMWs used a Power Module to manage the battery charging profile...whereas the newer BMWs have moved this into the DME control (and leveraging the IBS for monitoring). My theory is the low-end scanners can probably code new batteries if the car has a Power Module. If the car is newer and uses the DME, then they are out of luck.

BTW, found this writeup on the E65 Power Module, which I think was quite revolutionary when this first came out. Most of the power mgmt capabilities should be on our E9x M3s, but just done so with it now integrated into our DME (vs. this power module).

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...vptRsca8eEqRnh

Also, for kicks, I found this on another site regarding newer BMWs that do not have a Power Module:

http://blog.obdii365.com/2015/04/27/...standard-tool/

<p>How to register old and new BMW vehicle battery?</p>
<p>For older BMW models, register BMW battery with BMW INPA program:</p>
<p>Step 1: select “BODY”<br />
Step 2: select “POWER MODULE”<br />
Step 3: select “ACTIVATE”<br />
Step 4: Select “ACTIVATE2” from the next menu<br />
Step 5: select “F7: Register battery replacement”.<br />
Then INPA will display the register completed prompt “Register battery replacement Activated properly.”</p>
<p>Because newer BMW model does not contain Power Module, INPA cable will not work, Ediabas Toolset32 is required.</p>
<p>Step 1: Locate Ediabas folder<br />
So how "new" are we talking? Can Carly register all 2007-2010 M3's but only some 2011+ (for example)

GM
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2017, 09:35 PM   #34
Kamen
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by JsL View Post
I want a refund for the adapter and pro app too! I'm not kidding, emailing them now.

I purchased the adapter and pro app thinking I will be able to register a battery one day.

Attached is what the app shows when I try to register a battery.
Good luck! I like the app, but trying to get to their support is a doomed cause, in my experience.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2017, 09:57 PM   #35
steven_s
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by L4ces View Post
What tool is the real deal?
+1

Other than going to BMW to pay stealership money what else is legit that is 100% we can register battery ourselves
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2017, 10:35 PM   #36
WingZeroX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 / F30

All this time trying to figure it out, use NCS to code the correct battery at 90ah, and tool32 to register.

Or, get a copy of ISTA and register it using USB OBD cable
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2017, 05:34 AM   #37
vsix
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 sold, M4 F82

Quote:
The car was cycled on and off before I drove it to the mechanic, so that wasn't it unfortunately for me. After registering with Autologic, it shows only 2 registration dates:

This is not a IBS issue (I had thought so too)....as the battery registration logs are done via the power mgmt module in the DME........nothing to do with the IBS.

Have you used the NT510 to successfully register on a E9x M3? I think the tool works for non-M E9x cars but not for the M3, as we use a different DME (MS660). In the past I was going to buy the Bavarian Technic scanner tool to do battery resets, but even they mention that battery reset is only for the non-M E9x cars.

I know I'm probably doing overkill on this subject, but just want to let the other M3post members who may be driving around thinking they've reset their battery settings.
I had issues with my battery and the day came, where I also had to swap it for a new one. I also used Carly, I really can‘t remember exactly how the procedure was in detail ( did it only once or maybe twice for a buddies car ) but after the registration, I could‘ve sworn there was a „successful registered“ screen in the carly app.
M3 E92 MY 2008

Multiple times the schwaben tool had been mentioned on here while questioning carlys (street) credibility.

All I can say is, I never had any issues with carly.
What Carly ( located in munich germany ) claimed was always correct and never misleading. In this case here, we should ask ourselfs:

Why didn‘t the battery registration had been recorded? Could‘ve probably been an coding interruption, a missing app or phone update or an faulty sensor or any other electrical the gremlin, the trouble maker here?

The truth is we really don‘t know. What we know is Carly works, started to become a huge part of our lifes, gave us so much self confidence and made us much happier. We stopped beeing puppets of the greedy car-repair-industry.
Basically we all smile when an engine light pops up instead of getting an heart attack. ( Wich was a few years back common in our enthusiastic world ). We check other peoples cars, code them and really enjoy beeing car owners all that because of Carly. Thats why I ( and that is my personal oppinion), trust carly and don‘t think they would do anything on purpose or to betray costumers.

Last edited by vsix; 12-16-2017 at 05:44 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2017, 06:49 AM   #38
L4ces
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 Alpine White

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by vsix View Post
Quote:

I had issues with my battery and the day came, where I also had to swap it for a new one. I also used Carly, I really can‘t remember exactly how the procedure was in detail ( did it only once or maybe twice for a buddies car ) but after the registration, I could‘ve sworn there was a „successful registered“ screen in the carly app.
M3 E92 MY 2008

Multiple times the schwaben tool had been mentioned on here while questioning carlys (street) credibility.

All I can say is, I never had any issues with carly.
What Carly ( located in munich germany ) claimed was always correct and never misleading. In this case here, we should ask ourselfs:

Why didn‘t the battery registration had been recorded? Could‘ve probably been an coding interruption, a missing app or phone update or an faulty sensor or any other electrical the gremlin, the trouble maker here?

The truth is we really don‘t know. What we know is Carly works, started to become a huge part of our lifes, gave us so much self confidence and made us much happier. We stopped beeing puppets of the greedy car-repair-industry.
Basically we all smile when an engine light pops up instead of getting an heart attack. ( Wich was a few years back common in our enthusiastic world ). We check other peoples cars, code them and really enjoy beeing car owners all that because of Carly. Thats why I ( and that is my personal oppinion), trust carly and don‘t think they would do anything on purpose or to betray costumers.
It was stated earlier that Carly produced false positives for battery registration. Is it possible that even your battery isn't registered?
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2017, 07:16 AM   #39
vsix
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 sold, M4 F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by L4ces View Post
It was stated earlier that Carly produced false positives for battery registration. Is it possible that even your battery isn't registered?
As I said, I never really doubted it ( had no reason ) so I didn‘t got it checked. Meanwhile my car is sold and I don‘t hear anything negative regarding the battery from the new owner or my buddies that registered also their battery ( few years ago ) with carly.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2017, 11:25 AM   #40
Yvette
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M

Whats all this flame against the carly out of nowhere all of sudden? lol
Carly coded my lci taillight, i am a happy customer.
I havent register my battery yet but plans to do so near in the future.
Carly is sounded like a scammer in this thread lol.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2017, 11:58 AM   #41
JsL
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yvette View Post
Whats all this flame against the carly out of nowhere all of sudden? lol
Carly coded my lci taillight, i am a happy customer.
I havent register my battery yet but plans to do so near in the future.
Carly is sounded like a scammer in this thread lol.
See my post above. If the Carly app tells me it can register my battery, but in reality, it doesn't, I'm going to be disappointed. Also, battery registration is the reason I purchased the dongle and pro app.

But you're right, it does sound like an angry mob thread LoL
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2017, 07:52 PM   #42
vincE92M3
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
'11 E92 M3  [0.00]
I wrote Carly stating that I've been unsuccessful in verifying a new battery registration and if they have any updates on a fix for the add-on. If not, requesting a refund.

Their response was that if a new battery was unsuccessfully registered it would throw a fault code, but they weren't able to tell me the specific code.

Lacking customer service and product.
      12-18-2017, 08:30 PM   #43
EJT86
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
  [0.00]
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
I wrote Carly stating that I've been unsuccessful in verifying a new battery registration and if they have any updates on a fix for the add-on. If not, requesting a refund.

Their response was that if a new battery was unsuccessfully registered it would throw a fault code, but they weren't able to tell me the specific code.

Lacking customer service and product.
contact your App Store for a refund, they won’t take anything away from you. Unregistered batteries throwing a code isn’t true also
Appreciate 1
vincE92M3564.00
      12-19-2017, 12:43 PM   #44
Shazz
Private
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

I wonder if anyone has done a study on whether registering the battery really lengthens the life or its just a BMW scam to make you pay more when it's just swapping a battery out?
Appreciate 0