BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

10-22-2020, 09:25 PM   #23
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exclusivs View Post
Bump...

For an 8" spring - does rod need to be cut? how much?

Are you all running helpers in rear?

If not, what sits between bottom rear spring and camber arm?
I'm running a 9" current, no helper. I ordered 8" and hopefully my cut rod provide enough thread. I was told by GC that if I see the top snap ring as in the first picture, it will be too short and I'll have to order a new rod.

Track Chat Discord: https://discord.gg/VsKbTyqBVj
SF Bay Area: DM For coding services
Appreciate 1
Exclusivs542.00
      10-22-2020, 10:31 PM   #24
Exclusivs
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Very helpful ^ (the diagram). Assume it's the one which is included with the parts, arriving tmr.

Derek, your swapping your 9" to an 8?
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2020, 10:36 PM   #25
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exclusivs View Post
Very helpful ^ (the diagram). Assume it's the one which is included with the parts, arriving tmr.

Derek, your swapping your 9" to an 8?
Yes that is the official GC instructions. Yea, I'm moving to 600/900 spring rates and Eibach or Hyperco don't make high spring rates in 9" form. The highest 9" spring is 800 and 600 for Eibach and Hyperco respectively.
Appreciate 1
Exclusivs542.00
      10-26-2020, 04:33 PM   #26
M43S7RO
Major
Rep
Drives: Jerez Black E92 M3

Wanted to follow up for others trying to determine what springs are needed with these. Keep in mind I did not want to cut the rod: I put these in a few weeks ago and initially bought 8" 1000lb springs but wound up having to buy 7" springs. The spring range here that people mention is between 7" - 9". A few variables not mentioned that I think makes a difference is the desired rear ride height with 18 & 19 inch wheels, along with spring rate.

I could not go much lower than the pic below as this is with 18" wheels, 7" springs and the full length rod retracted flush to the top of the mount.

(I know this is monster truckin for some)
Attached Images

10-26-2020, 05:49 PM   #27
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M43S7RO View Post
Wanted to follow up for others trying to determine what springs are needed with these. Keep in mind I did not want to cut the rod: I put these in a few weeks ago and initially bought 8" 1000lb springs but wound up having to buy 7" springs. The spring range here that people mention is between 7" - 9". A few variables not mentioned that I think makes a difference is the desired rear ride height with 18 & 19 inch wheels, along with spring rate.

I could not go much lower than the pic below as this is with 18" wheels, 7" springs and the full length rod retracted flush to the top of the mount.

Is there a reason why you don't want to cut the rod?

Another thing is spring rate also affects height due to compression. With the same sprung weight over a spring, a higher spring rate will compress less than the same length lower spring rate spring.

If the sprung weight at the corner is 800lbs,
600lb spring will drop 1.33" in compression
700lb spring will drop 1.14" in compression
1000lb spring will drop 0.8" in compression
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2020, 09:07 PM   #28
M43S7RO
Major
Rep

Preference mainly, bothered me to have to cut them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by derbo View Post
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2020, 02:08 PM   #29
Lienrocs
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, M4 GTS, HP4

Quote:
Preference mainly, bothered me to have to cut them.

Quote:
Cutting them takes about 5 minutes with a hack saw and then a nice file makes it look nice and clean. I had a similar issue. I was using an 8 inch 1300 pound rear spring but it was coming unseated at full droop so I added helpers but the total stack height with the helpers was too high so I went to a 7 inch 1100 pound rear (1300's are no longer made in 7 inch springs anywhere). Overall diameter of the wheel/tire combo has a big affect as well, as mentioned by others. A 295/35/18 vs a 315/30/18 is a big height difference.
Appreciate 1
M43S7RO503.00
      10-28-2020, 03:19 PM   #30
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lienrocs View Post
Cutting them takes about 5 minutes with a hack saw and then a nice file makes it look nice and clean. I had a similar issue. I was using an 8 inch 1300 pound rear spring but it was coming unseated at full droop so I added helpers but the total stack height with the helpers was too high so I went to a 7 inch 1100 pound rear (1300's are no longer made in 7 inch springs anywhere). Overall diameter of the wheel/tire combo has a big affect as well, as mentioned by others. A 295/35/18 vs a 315/30/18 is a big height difference.
Does your 8" with the rod cut come off at full droop?
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2020, 03:21 PM   #31
Lienrocs
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Does your 8" with the rod cut come off at full droop?
Yes. I had the car at max low and could almost pull the spring out.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2020, 05:23 PM   #32
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep

Quote:
Well, that might mean I need to order a new rod for my 8" springs lol dammit.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2020, 05:28 PM   #33
Lienrocs
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Well, that might mean I need to order a new rod for my 8" springs lol dammit.
I don't know what ride height you want but there's all the room for adjustment still with the rod cut. I'd swap in the other springs first and see if you can get the correct height. You could also add helpers to your set up and that increases the stack height of the assembly effectively increasing the ride height as well. You also have the added bonus of helpers so win/win.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2020, 08:07 PM   #34
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep

Quote:
I don't know what ride height you want but there's all the room for adjustment still with the rod cut. I'd swap in the other springs first and see if you can get the correct height. You could also add helpers to your set up and that increases the stack height of the assembly effectively increasing the ride height as well. You also have the added bonus of helpers so win/win.
Yea that's the plan. I'll try and set it to the height I want, and see where it lands. No biggie.
Appreciate 1
Lienrocs701.00
      10-29-2020, 02:05 PM   #35
Mvez
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 coupe

Quote:

Thanks for this. I don't want to cut the rod either, plus, I wanted a helper anyway. So I plan to go with 6" 1000lb main, and .89" compressed (2.64" free) helper spring. This will give me almost 8.64" of uncompressed. Having droop travel, especially on track and over bumps is something you want. Plus keeps the spring seated for street driving, so less noise.

I run 275-40-18 rear tire size, and don't need to go so low on the car, so either your 7" setup, or my 6" w/helper should be perfect for me.
'15 FRS - Sprint racecar
'00 Miata - Enduro racecar

Last edited by Mvez; 10-29-2020 at 03:13 PM..
Appreciate 1
M43S7RO503.00
      10-29-2020, 04:20 PM   #36
Mvez
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 coupe

What type of lower spring seat are you guys running?

My clubsports re-used the stock lower spring seat/pad, so I need to swap it out with something for a 2.5" ID spring. I assume your spring lengths are based on a pretty flat lower spring set adapter on the lower control arm?

Most coilover kits like Ohlins, MCS, etc. will come with a flat pastic adapter for the lower spring seat.
'15 FRS - Sprint racecar
'00 Miata - Enduro racecar
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2020, 11:06 PM   #37
M43S7RO
Major
Rep

I use the pads that came with the ground control non-articulating perches that I ran previous to these.They are about a good 1/4" thick. Have not seen them sold separately by gc, maybe if you give them a ring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mvez View Post
What type of lower spring seat are you guys running?

My clubsports re-used the stock lower spring seat/pad, so I need to swap it out with something for a 2.5" ID spring. I assume your spring lengths are based on a pretty flat lower spring set adapter on the lower control arm?

Most coilover kits like Ohlins, MCS, etc. will come with a flat pastic adapter for the lower spring seat.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2020, 03:39 PM   #38
Kelse92
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Former e92 M3 Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mvez View Post
Thanks for this. I don't want to cut the rod either, plus, I wanted a helper anyway. So I plan to go with 6" 1000lb main, and .89" compressed (2.64" free) helper spring. This will give me almost 8.64" of uncompressed. Having droop travel, especially on track and over bumps is something you want. Plus keeps the spring seated for street driving, so less noise.

I run 275-40-18 rear tire size, and don't need to go so low on the car, so either your 7" setup, or my 6" w/helper should be perfect for me.
Curious to follow what your result is. I am looking at these adjusters as my KW ones need replaced with either new KW ones or maybe try these GC ones but I also run 275/40/18 rear tires and KW Clubsports so curious what you end up finding in your setup. Also, FWIW I just removed the stock spring seat with my KW's currently but have used it previously. I may put it back in if I need to add more rear spacing but haven't tested yet with my 275/40 tires to see if the ride height will work yet. I'm running an 8" spring with the KW helper and I only have a few mm left in the perch if I need to raise the ride height any more for that tire.

#ladydriven Heavy-spec M3 // KW Clubsports // AA x-pipe // Gintani muffler // Macht-Schnell intake // Gintani tune // OMP Seats // Too Many Apex Wheels // Stoptech ST-60 // Cobalt Friction brake pads
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2020, 04:31 PM   #39
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep

So, 8" 900lb with cut rod is fine. The spring is seated and still pre-loaded in the spring arm at about 10mm below ZCP height.

Appreciate 1