BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!

05-31-2018, 07:53 PM   #23
Special_K
Assistant to the Regional Manager
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Special_K View Post
SYT_Shadow - Just curious if you even ran the R888Rs last year? First track day for me is coming up and debating between another set of NT01s or trying out R888Rs, any advice is greatly appreciated!
I did and actually ran them again at the Glen this year. Still the same set.

If you were nearby I'd give you what remains in my set for free. That is how much I dislike them.

I ran lower pressures as people suggested and the car behaves predictably, but it's still way down on grip. After two days I swapped to RE71s that are almost completely bald, leftovers from last year, and instantly picked up a couple seconds.

I am disappointed to say the least. I don't know if there's room in the market for a tire that is:
-Slow
-Extremely loud at highway speeds. Worse than NT01
-Terrible water evacuation
-Really hard sidewalls

I'm back at the RE71 for driving to-from the track and backup track tires and running BFG R1 as the main track tire now

The NT01 is loud, sucks in water, has really hard sidewalls but at least it's sticky, doesn't overheat easily and is extremely cheap.

I'm never buying a set of R888R again. If anyone wants mine you can have them for free
Great info, thank you sharing. I am too very disappointed to hear these results. Was hoping that since this was a newer tire it would be a better fit for the E9x platform, especially considering the extra weight of our cars. Maybe the stiffer sidewall was for weight but it sounds like the compound just doesn't get up to the right temp or adhesiveness.

At least my decision is easier now, thanks again for the detailed info!
      05-31-2018, 10:51 PM   #24
Properstyle
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 e90 ZCP m3

Quote:
I did and actually ran them again at the Glen this year. Still the same set.

If you were nearby I'd give you what remains in my set for free. That is how much I dislike them.

I ran lower pressures as people suggested and the car behaves predictably, but it's still way down on grip. After two days I swapped to RE71s that are almost completely bald, leftovers from last year, and instantly picked up a couple seconds.

I am disappointed to say the least. I don't know if there's room in the market for a tire that is:
-Slow
-Extremely loud at highway speeds. Worse than NT01
-Terrible water evacuation
-Really hard sidewalls

I'm back at the RE71 for driving to-from the track and backup track tires and running BFG R1 as the main track tire now

The NT01 is loud, sucks in water, has really hard sidewalls but at least it's sticky, doesn't overheat easily and is extremely cheap.

I'm never buying a set of R888R again. If anyone wants mine you can have them for free
What are the sizes for the r888rs if they have life left in them I’ll take them they work great for my z
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2018, 04:02 AM   #25
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Properstyle View Post
What are the sizes for the r888rs if they have life left in them I’ll take them they work great for my z
275/295

Are you in CT/NY? I'm not shipping these things
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2018, 12:14 PM   #26
Properstyle
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 e90 ZCP m3

Quote:
275/295

Are you in CT/NY? I'm not shipping these things
I’m in Florida I would have just sent you the label for my shipping account you just drop them off at frdex no boxes needed
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2020, 02:36 PM   #27
Vybz
Captain
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: Adidas and Puma

Garage List
2012 BMW M3  [8.60]
Toyo R888R's overheat pretty quickly. It took me one full lap at like 75-80% to get them up to temperature and then I could get 6 or 7 good laps before they just got greasy and started killing my lap times. I ran them at 35-36 psi hot, which is at the low end of the recommended range by Toyo. Unlike many on this forum, I actually haven't tried the NT01's so I'm looking to swap to them for next season.

The NT01s are notorious for getting faster and faster as they wear and I personally believe the R888rs are the exact opposite. The build of the tire though is very good, and they can take a lot of abuse, but they wear significantly faster than the NT01 which I've heard people can get up to 10+ track days on. I was able to get 7 full track days out of the R888rs but they're pretty much done, and almost down to cords.

I feel like I'll be able to provide better feedback for this thread after I personally try the NT01's, but everyone and their mom runs NT01 at the tracks I go to, so I feel like responding with "word of mouth" details isn't so bad.
Appreciate 0