BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

BPM

02-06-2009, 09:18 AM   #23
dcstep
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
The attached pdf shows my baseline dyno runs, laid down at MAC Autosports in Parker, Colorado. (Highly recommended). Next week the throttle bodies will be installed, along with the Active Autowerke's mufflers. I'll run comparative runs the week after next.

Peak hp ranges from 328 to 333, gaining as we got a little more heat in the engine. The Dynojet is an accelerometer style dyno, so you just get into fourth gear, stabilize, then floor it and hold it to the metal until the cutoff. BTW, the air/fuel mixture was plenty rich enough so that I'm not in danger of getting too lean with the mods (a potential problem at Colorado altitude).

BTW, the guys at MAC are great, being real careful of my suspension as they strapped the car down to the dyno and putting together very consistant runs, as you can see. Too bad the BMW ECU codes are not cracked yet, because MAC keeps real busy dyno tuning modded Asian and American cars. They were getting 350 hp out of an S2000, running 8-pounds of boost and E85 while I was waiting. They really nicely dialed in the mixture/pressure adjusting the stock ECU with a licensed program.

Dave
Attached Images
File Type: pdf DynoRun02052009.pdf (135.1 KB, 237 views)
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2009, 10:01 AM   #24
doba_s
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X7 l Cayenne l 997.2RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstep View Post
The attached pdf shows my baseline dyno runs, laid down at MAC Autosports in Parker, Colorado. (Highly recommended). Next week the throttle bodies will be installed, along with the Active Autowerke's mufflers. I'll run comparative runs the week after next.

Peak hp ranges from 328 to 333, gaining as we got a little more heat in the engine. The Dynojet is an accelerometer style dyno, so you just get into fourth gear, stabilize, then floor it and hold it to the metal until the cutoff. BTW, the air/fuel mixture was plenty rich enough so that I'm not in danger of getting too lean with the mods (a potential problem at Colorado altitude).

BTW, the guys at MAC are great, being real careful of my suspension as they strapped the car down to the dyno and putting together very consistant runs, as you can see. Too bad the BMW ECU codes are not cracked yet, because MAC keeps real busy dyno tuning modded Asian and American cars. They were getting 350 hp out of an S2000, running 8-pounds of boost and E85 while I was waiting. They really nicely dialed in the mixture/pressure adjusting the stock ECU with a licensed program.

Dave
Are they going to install the throttle bodies for you as well ? I am still thinking if i should do that on my car ...
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2009, 10:14 AM   #25
dcstep
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by doba_s View Post
Are they going to install the throttle bodies for you as well ? I am still thinking if i should do that on my car ...
I will have Co's BMW in Loveland, CO put on the Dinan throttle bodies, Dinan 4.10 and Active Autowerke exhaust. Co's quoted me reasonable labor charges and I'll get the benefit of the Dinan/BMW warranty. MAC could do the work, but I see not need to go outside the dealer for it.

I WOULD love to have MAC dyno-tune my ECU, if and when the program becomes available. I'd be at the front of the line for that.

I'll do an "after" dyno run to help you with your decision. There are enough dyno runs with the Active A exhaust for us to extrapolate the benefit of the TBs. I'm also going to use 100-octane, but PencilGeek has some benchmarks on that benefit. Doing everything all at once clouds the results a little, but I don't have the time to do each mod separately. Also, dynos aren't free.

Dave
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2009, 10:17 AM   #26
doba_s
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X7 l Cayenne l 997.2RS

Quote:
I will have Co's BMW in Loveland, CO put on the Dinan throttle bodies, Dinan 4.10 and Active Autowerke exhaust. Co's quoted me reasonable labor charges and I'll get the benefit of the Dinan/BMW warranty. MAC could do the work, but I see not need to go outside the dealer for it.

I WOULD love to have MAC dyno-tune my ECU, if and when the program becomes available. I'd be at the front of the line for that.

I'll do an "after" dyno run to help you with your decision. There are enough dyno runs with the Active A exhaust for us to extrapolate the benefit of the TBs. I'm also going to use 100-octane, but PencilGeek has some benchmarks on that benefit. Doing everything all at once clouds the results a little, but I don't have the time to do each mod separately. Also, dynos aren't free.

Dave
Cool, good luck with that ...
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2009, 03:51 PM   #27
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 Jerez DCT M3

Quote:

Dave
What ECU are you rnning? Maybe I missed it, but if going with the Dinan throttle bodies I recommend sticking with their software if they have it.

The throttle bodies need to be calibrated, I'm sure your guys know that, but just bringing it up. A lot of M5 guys have issues with the Dinan throttle bodies not being calibrated correctly.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2009, 04:48 PM   #28
dcstep
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sticky View Post
What ECU are you rnning? Maybe I missed it, but if going with the Dinan throttle bodies I recommend sticking with their software if they have it.

The throttle bodies need to be calibrated, I'm sure your guys know that, but just bringing it up. A lot of M5 guys have issues with the Dinan throttle bodies not being calibrated correctly.
The problem is that there's no ECU program to properly dynotune any of this stuff, from mufflers to cams. Anything that comes out will likely be black market. As it is now, tuners that do crack the Bosch codes are keeping it to themselves an putting out static ECUs. (I don't blame them, but...). If you buy their muffler and their pulley, for instance, they'll send you a sea level ECU for that, but if you mix and match parts from other makers and live a mile above sea level you're SOL.

Right now, I can do some dyno runs and be assured that my setup isn't too lean, but I can't optimize for my specific situation. The dyno tuner I visited yesterday said that he's sees lots of German car owners that either flashed their ECU or bought a prepackaged ECU and experienced no improvement. He thinks this is likely because so many of these products were developed at sea level and can't match the high altitude testing that BMW did in its original programming. That sounds logical to me, but I have no way to know.

Anyway, we're at a disadvantage compared to the Asian and US companies, where ECU optimizing programs are readily available. When the software is available, dyno-tuning is actually way less expensive than what we're being charged for these static flashes. That's aggravating and I'm hopeful that it'll change in the next year or so.

If anyone lives near Dinan or Active Autowerke, or similar ECU flasher/supplier, I'd recommend making a trip to their shop for a custom flash with whatever mods you have on the car. Certainly they have the means to do this and it'll take only a little arm twisting to have them do the work. They obviously have the technology.

Dave
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2009, 09:25 PM   #29
dcstep
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
I'll let the dyno chart do the talking. Dinan throttle bodies (red) vs. stock (blue) gained under 5 hp. Dinan's response is, "that's acceptable." No wonder their site was vague.

I added the 4.10 final drive and noted that the car felt stronger, but I couldn't separate hp from rear wheel torque without the dyno.

Note that the increase in rear wheel torque caused by the 4.10 is factored out because the dyno calculates the actual final drive by comparing the engine rpm to the rear wheel rpm.

In fairness to Dinan, the dyno operator told me that changing the final drive on a Dynojet will tend to result in a lower hp rating if no other changes are made. Well crap, now he tells me. He said there's no ratio to adjust for, but that he's seen as much as 15 hp on a 300+ hp car. Since Dinan isn't publishing anything useful and they didn't seem concerned about my result, then we'll have to assume that less than 5 hp is about right, until they show us otherwise.

I know that putting in 100-octane, unleaded Sunoco give my butt dyno way more kick than the TBs.

Remember, I'm at 5700 feet over sea level, so YMMV. (The runs are adjusted for the altitude, but the point is that it IS an adjustment). At sea level you'll get sea level results. Amazingly, despite being months apart, air temperatures were within five degrees. Also, the car was well warmed up in both runs and properly cooled by large fans, with the hood open as we did all runs.

Would I do it, expecting under 5 hp? NO. I get way more bang per buck putting in 100-octane.

Dave
Attached Images

Last edited by dcstep; 05-22-2009 at 08:31 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2009, 08:43 AM   #30
dcstep
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PencilGeek View Post
I'm not buying the dyno operator's story. The math with the final drives is very simple. Since the Dynojet has the engine RPM, the final drive change won't make any difference. If it does, then the dyno as a measuring tool loses all of its value.
That's what I thought. The chart even shows the change in final drive. There's no input, the dyno compares the engine rpm to rear wheel speed and calculates the total gear (transmission plus FD).

I've done about twelve runs on this dyno and the shapes of the curves have all been incredibly similar. Hence, I think that the dyno is being consistant. Dinan didn't seem the least bit concerned that it was only 5 hp, so I think that's close to what others should expect.

Dave
      05-22-2009, 11:56 AM   #31
Ca$hOnly
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

$2300 + install for 5 hp?

05-22-2009, 08:21 PM   #32
KonigsTiger
Racying Dynamics
Rep
Drives: E92M3 RS46 Club Sport, others

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ca$hOnly View Post
$2300 + install for 5 hp?

Bahahahaha!!
      05-22-2009, 08:47 PM   #33
GTM
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonmartin View Post
I know a buddy of mine that does Porsche Throttle bodies I'm sure he'll do the M3 for a helluva lot less then $2k.

Please dont forget our M3 has 8 throttle bodies.
$2300 for 8 throttle bodies are NOT expensive at all.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2009, 09:02 PM   #34
KonigsTiger
Racying Dynamics
Rep
Drives: E92M3 RS46 Club Sport, others

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTM View Post
Please dont forget our M3 has 8 throttle bodies.
$2300 for 8 throttle bodies are NOT expensive at all.
Indeed, but thats missing the point, why replace them in the first place if your only going to ge 5hp?
      05-22-2009, 10:02 PM   #35
Patricius
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 04 325xi, 05 M3 cpe, 08 M3 cpe

$2,300 + installation for what is essentially the OEM throttle bodies very slightly bored out is a *bit* too rich for my blood.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2009, 10:30 PM   #36
satinghostrider
Major
Singapore
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ZCP LCI II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius View Post
$2,300 + installation for what is essentially the OEM throttle bodies very slightly bored out is a *bit* too rich for my blood.
+10000000.

2018 F80 LCI II ZCP ///M3 Mineral White M-DCT| Sakhir Orange Interior| |M Performance Exhaust|
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2009, 10:48 PM   #37
dcstep
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
You're welcome. Remember, you didn't hear it from Dinan.