BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > USA - Mid-Atlantic

08-31-2010, 02:24 PM   #89
dcgolfdr
Wheelsucker
United_States
Rep
Drives: Truck

This is comical!!!
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2010, 03:25 PM   #90
checkmate
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW M3 E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcgolfdr View Post
This is comical!!!
Why would ///M drivers ever stay with the slower group is beyond my understanding.

Even 30 cars is a lot for a drive and considering its still Sat morning, we would still hit some traffic (especially bikers who know this route)

How about we have 2 fast groups with two leads. Assuming we have 40 cars-we can have 20 led by Darkstar and another 20 led by whoever.

Group A can leave 10-15 minutes earlier with Group B following suit. We can decide a spot where both groups need to meet up (for lunch or whatever) at say...1:00pm.

This way both groups can all breathe a little and do some spirited driving in getting to the destination.

Logistics: Group A leader would need to be in touch with Group B either via cell or radio for better co-ordination. Each group member would need to have the cell # of the leader in the event he/she gets lost.

///M Redliners-Facebook
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2010, 03:40 PM   #91
bimmerfan08
Mid-Atlantic ///M's
Rep
Drives: Phoenix Yellow M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerfan08 View Post
What about this. Since theres more people in favor of a fast group. What if there were two smaller fast groups and then one slower group? You could satisfy peoples preferences that way
Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmate View Post
Why would ///M drivers ever stay with the slower group is beyond my understanding.

Even 30 cars is a lot for a drive and considering its still Sat morning, we would still hit some traffic (especially bikers who know this route)

How about we have 2 fast groups with two leads. Assuming we have 40 cars-we can have 20 led by Darkstar and another 20 led by whoever.

Group A can leave 10-15 minutes earlier with Group B following suit. We can decide a spot where both groups need to meet up (for lunch or whatever) at say...1:00pm.

This way both groups can all breathe a little and do some spirited driving in getting to the destination.

Logistics: Group A leader would need to be in touch with Group B either via cell or radio for better co-ordination. Each group member would need to have the cell # of the leader in the event he/she gets lost.

///M Redliners-Facebook
took my idea
      08-31-2010, 04:04 PM   #92
LemonOne
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///Most Powerful Letter

1) DarkstarZero
2) checkmate
3) crazycarl16
4) Shieldze
5) bills742
6) Chest Rockwell
7) Besiktas
8) Baari (Maybe)
9) Irex511 (Mike)
10)BimmerUA
11)Can Haz M3 (if I get my damn car back)
12)Raptor
13)bimmerfan08 (most likely)
14)BMWPower06
15.) mihink. e46M3. always a great time!
16.) Day Laborer
17.) Cashman
18) mckutlu
19) mdyaman (pending: may only be able to stay for the morning)
20) JuniorDee
21)Got_da_booze
22) Cptn Mo (If I start the new job by then)
23) SUBZERO (I missed the last one )
24) AK335
25) lejeunebimmer
26) bubblehead
27) tothpl e46 M3
28) BMWGator
29)tphan85
30) LemonOne

Count me in too!
Fast group please
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2010, 04:55 PM   #93
MDyDinanM
OIF Veteran
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M

Garage List
2008 BMW M5  [6.88]
Quote:
all right smarty pants, there are some that are not comfortable or unfamiliar with the limits of the car.

and Darkstar is right, and i qoute
Quote:
"The 2nd group will consist of cars that can't corner as sharp as the M3s, the drivers just want a fun cruise through country roads, or the drivers aren't familiar with the limits of their car."

I for one, through no fault of my own, was in a serious car accident and was paralyzed until reconstructive surgery. I still have nerve damage in my leg and partial paralysis.

I guess this is where the forum would say: dont go! then again, i've been going on these runs since the Fall of 09

this is why i hang out in the rear. I enjoy driving my M cars, and going on spirited runs. I just choose to be a bit more cautious.

I'm just happy to attend these types of events, and enjoy meeting and talking with fellow M enthusiasts
Intakes, 13% Underdrive pulley, 3.91 Differential, RPI Scoops.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2010, 05:20 PM   #94
Chest Rockwell
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Sedan

The spirited group can go ahead and clear out any cops that are lurking on a Saturday morning. I want to be in the fast group, but I also don't want to be the dumbass that wraps his car around a tree. I'm sure there'll be an opportunity to act the fool in the slow group every once in a while.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2010, 05:33 PM   #95
Petlizard
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: C63 BS; LC500; F Pace SVR; P8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdyaman View Post
all right smarty pants, there are some that are not comfortable or unfamiliar with the limits of the car.

and Darkstar is right, and i qoute

I for one, through no fault of my own, was in a serious car accident and was paralyzed until reconstructive surgery. I still have nerve damage in my leg and partial paralysis.

I guess this is where the forum would say: dont go! then again, i've been going on these runs since the Fall of 09

this is why i hang out in the rear. I enjoy driving my M cars, and going on spirited runs. I just choose to be a bit more cautious.

I'm just happy to attend these types of events, and enjoy meeting and talking with fellow M enthusiasts
I feel what you're saying, mdyaman. Those who had a chance to drove these road at the last run saw how beautiful some of them were, and how they could be taken in at a more comfortable pace. I think others who were not on these recent runs might be misinterpreting what "slower" really is. We're talking about driving at the max vs at the extreme here. I think we can call it the "Extreme" group and the "Fast" group and everyone will be happy since there are no "Slow" group.

It's all in the presentation. It's not Used, it's Pre-Owned.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2010, 05:34 PM   #96
MDyDinanM
OIF Veteran
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M

Garage List
2008 BMW M5  [6.88]
Quote:
The spirited group can go ahead and clear out any cops that are lurking on a Saturday morning
+1

anyone bringing any radios? lol

i'm sure this 2 group thing will work itself out on Saturday w/ everyone present. Darkstar is the organizer, so we should all respect that.

thanks for the comments Petlizard

Quote:
I think others who were not on these recent runs might be misinterpreting what "slower" really is. We're talking about driving at the max vs at the extreme here. I think we can call it the "Extreme" group and the "Fast" group

For those who didn't go on the last run, the route Darkstar is proposing this time is more or less the same. You all will be on the edge of your seats gripping your steering wheels tight.

keeping up w/ Darkstar in his Z4 M is quite a task! Z4 Ms are small, zippy, and very nimble and can take corners easily...

my personal favorite is being w/ a group of several ///M cars driving through the small towns of VA or Front Royal and seeing the look of "shock and awe" on peoples faces
Intakes, 13% Underdrive pulley, 3.91 Differential, RPI Scoops.

Last edited by MDyDinanM; 08-31-2010 at 06:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2010, 06:16 PM   #97
M3ltdown
Master Chief
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 e90 M3 JzB

I was driving behind Darkstar during the first skyline drive, leaving C63 AMG in the turns... so I'm usually all about speed, but this time I just want to enjoy the ride at a slightly lower pace.

I'm trying to reserve balls out speed for the track.... which we really need to setup for our area.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2010, 07:04 PM   #98
Jcentsr6
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 cab

I was one of the people who e-mailed Darkstar saying that I was going from another forum.

I took the time register to express my vote on 2 fast groups, but I am sure that anyone driving a M would say the same. I am sure if anyone wants to go slower...they can hang towards the back of the pack. I doubt that anyone will be left behind.

Very excited to see the turnout.

Also if anyone is driving down from the Maryland area, please shoot me a pm. I would love to drive down to the meeting area with some others.

Feel free to add me to your list.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2010, 07:34 PM   #99
bimmerfan08
Mid-Atlantic ///M's
Rep
Drives: Phoenix Yellow M3

who else is bringing a two-way radio? Ill bring mine up if other people bring theirs. Lol I dont want to be talking to myself
      08-31-2010, 09:39 PM   #100
Jcentsr6
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 cab

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerfan08 View Post
who else is bringing a two-way radio? Ill bring mine up if other people bring theirs. Lol I dont want to be talking to myself
I will bring 2 pairs if people make sure to get them back to me. And if someone forgets...they can mail back to me. I just don't want them to get lost/damaged/not returned. lol
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2010, 09:47 PM   #101
BMWPower06
A^M=G is nothing w/o the Power of ///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M5 & ///M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcentsr6 View Post
I will bring 2 pairs if people make sure to get them back to me. And if someone forgets...they can mail back to me. I just don't want them to get lost/damaged/not returned. lol
I'd love to borrow one and return it to you at the end of the meet
      09-01-2010, 10:53 AM   #102
Cashman
Private
Rep
Drives:

I would be happy to lead the second group. I have been driving these road for at least 14 years and have considerable pro racing experience (grand-am, world challenge, formula). I will only drive these roads at about 7/10 at the most. Anybody that drives them at 10/10 is asking to either put their car into a tree or worse yet hit a car, cyclist, wildlife, or joggers along the route.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2010, 11:00 AM   #103
M3ltdown
Master Chief
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 e90 M3 JzB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cashman View Post
I would be happy to lead the second group. I have been driving these road for at least 14 years and have considerable pro racing experience (grand-am, world challenge, formula). I will only drive these roads at about 7/10 at the most. Anybody that drives them at 10/10 is asking to either put their car into a tree or worse yet hit a car, cyclist, wildlife, or joggers along the route.
I complete agree.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2010, 12:13 PM   #104
crazycarl16
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 X5M // 08 X5 4.8i // 03 M5

I will have a pair of two-way radios with me.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2010, 06:34 PM   #105
DarkstarZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Daytona 95 M3, X7 M50, e92 M3,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cashman View Post
Sounds perfect! Cashman is leader for group 2. I agree with you guys that both groups should be fast groups. Slower drivers that want to take in the beauty of the roads can hang in the back of the 2nd group. And trust me, these roads are worth driving a bit slower and taking in. If I had a convertible, I'd let someone else lead so I could enjoy the road and take in the scenery

Because it looks like we'll have 40 or even 50 cars coming, Melting Pot Pizza is out of the question. Right now I'm thinking about stopping at Crooked Run Plaza, just off 66 outside Front Royal. There's a huge lot and there are different places to eat so we can stick around here for 2 hours while people get some food like Fridays, subway, pizza, and hang around the cars. Because we'll be hanging out here for 2 hours, I don't plan to include any major stops or breaks along the drive like we had in previous runs.

After lunch I think we can become one group as I'm expecting some to head home. We will drive through Front Royal which will bring the town to a halt as everyone stops in their tracks and stares The 2nd leg will take us through different but equally fantastic roads all the way back to our starting point. I estimate the total event time, from start to finish including lunch, will be around 5 hours.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2010, 09:07 PM   #106
mihink
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '21 X7, '17 640i Gran Coupe

^ Sounds like a plan. Can't wait
      09-01-2010, 10:05 PM   #107
ak335
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Cayman S

Will the "fast group" be like this

i only have a series :0
      09-01-2010, 10:28 PM   #108
Chest Rockwell
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Sedan

After watching that I'll be hanging back in the slow group for sure as to not clip a biker or go head on with a Prius.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2010, 11:45 PM   #109
Petlizard
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: C63 BS; LC500; F Pace SVR; P8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak335 View Post
Will the "fast group" be like this

i only have a series :0
I've been on every Skyline Runs since we started back in September of 2009and we've never driven that way with traffic around. That type of driving is better suited for the tracks.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2010, 12:08 AM   #110
ak335
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Cayman S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petlizard View Post
I've been on every Skyline Runs since we started back in September of 2009and we've never driven that way with traffic around. That type of driving is better suited for the tracks.
good to know, i was getting nervous, driving like that isn't my cup of tea. lol