EXXEL Distributions

07-23-2010, 05:31 PM   #1
Ant Man
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Individual Edition

Question Contisport M3 tyres

I've been doing some research into tyres and have narrowed my choice down to Michelin PS2 or the Contis. Did consider Vredestein but wanted to keep the correct 19" sizes plus the tyre is much heavier than PS2.

I cannot find contact details for Conti. So does anyone have one or know the weight of the tyres in standard 19" sizes?

Also if anyone has changed PS2 to Conti or vice-versa. Pls share experiences?

I'm particularly interested in steering feel and behaviour to-and-at-the-limit-of-adhesion.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2010, 01:34 PM   #2
Zero7
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3 Dakar Edition

I'm going to order some Conti 5's running on 3's at the moment, only rears being swapped out, not run anything else before, was considering some Vredestein but wanted to keep same make front and back and fronts still have a lot left in them.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2010, 03:56 PM   #3
Zero7
Lieutenant
Rep

Well, Conti5 are not out for the M3 so I had a choice between the 3's which have lasted 12k miles on the back or go PS2's... I've decided to try the Michelin... Will be fitted on Tuesday.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2010, 07:23 AM   #4
Ant Man
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero7 View Post
Well, Conti5 are not out for the M3 so I had a choice between the 3's which have lasted 12k miles on the back or go PS2's... I've decided to try the Michelin... Will be fitted on Tuesday.
It would be great to hear back when you change and after the run-in period.
I imagine it's hard to recall how the Contis felt at their prime?

If anyone else can post up their personal view from running either PS2 or CSC3, pls post. I'm particularly interested in feel. Though any feedback on handling would also be appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2010, 11:32 AM   #5
alpina527
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 DCT JZB/FR

I'm having issues with my rear Conti 3s going out of shape at the moment. My next tyres will definitely be PS2s.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2010, 12:11 PM   #6
Zero7
Lieutenant
Rep

Fitted the PS2's today, only driven 2 miles, first impression is they appear to have a firmer sidewall, that's all I can report on for now.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2010, 02:45 PM   #7
AM3
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Coupe DCT White / red

conti's price and recommended pressures

Be keen to know how you get on with the PS2's and if you didnt mind sharing the information, what did they cost you

I'm running conti's on mine and still have life left on my rears
the fronts are still running a tread depth of 7mm
I must admit no problems with these but will look at others

Price from Knights in Staffs - conti contact sport 3

Fronts - 245; 35; 19 - £228.12
Rears - 265; 35; 19 - £276.12

incl vat and fitting and balancing

for those who may be interested
BMW recommend fronts - 2.3 bar or 32psi
rears - 2.4 bar or 34psi

Be grateful for any thoughts or comments

Arun (AM3)
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2010, 04:11 PM   #8
Zero7
Lieutenant
Rep

I wil lshare my thoughts after about 200 miles or so after the tyres have keyed in. I paid £1067.99 all valved, ballanced and fitted.

Best price I found was Kwickfit online and then took it to my local place who got very close to their price so gave them the business.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2010, 04:31 PM   #9
Ant Man
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I wil lshare my thoughts after about 200 miles or so after the tyres have keyed in. I paid £1067.99 all valved, ballanced and fitted.

Best price I found was Kwickfit online and then took it to my local place who got very close to their price so gave them the business.
Pls include the pressures too. Unless I'm carrying luggage, I'm running slightly increased pressures than the door sticker, 33F and 35R. I can feel the front tyres better when turning into corners and there is more bite, car feels more pointy under initial turn-in. Rears feel more hooked up when driving out of slow corners. Bumps are harsher but that's the compromise.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2010, 04:47 PM   #10
AM3
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

tyres and pressures

Thanks mate

probably worth the 60 quid difference
In the grand scheme of things its not a lot.
Let us know how you get on

I think I will do as Ant Man says with slightly increased pressures
did prefer that on my E46 328

Cheers
A
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2010, 06:36 AM   #11
Ant Man
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Have received info back from Continental, 19" tyres are similar weight to PS2. I don't have the exact weight of PS2 to hand right now just from memory.

CSC3
245/35/19 = 10.24kg
265/35/19 = 11.39kg

Fyi - Vredestein is 2kg heavier for the 245 and 2.2kg for a 275 rear. They do not and have no plans to produce a 265 M3 fitment.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2010, 08:26 AM   #12
Zero7
Lieutenant
Rep

^^^ Correct, I wanted to try Vredestein to see if they were as good as made out to be for the price it was a no brainer to give them a go, however not having the OEM size put me off the idea.

I'm running 34/36 front back, will do a check in a few weeks time after the 200 mile mark.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2010, 09:07 AM   #13
AM3
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

It would be good to hear what you think at 200 miles

Meanwhile I will change the tyre pressures and post if the drive / feel is different

Cheers
Arun
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2010, 05:58 PM   #14
Zero7
Lieutenant
Rep

Well, I've done a couple of hundred miles in then and today followed a familiar route that consists of sweeping fast A roads, tight twisting A roads, and bumpy dual carriageway.

I find the PS2's very different to the Conti's and they give the car a very different feel.

The PS2s have a firmer sidewall, the impact of this I would describer as follows:

1. I normally drive with one EDC light on, now it feels as if it's in the firmest setting.

2. More roads noise per-mutating into the cabin

3. The car feels much more 'on it's toes' - This feels odd compared to how it sat on the Conti's.

4. The turn in is sharper than before but the car now feels a little jittery

Overall the car feels more firmly spurn due to the firmer sidewalls, it's sharper, more jittery / edgy but feels even sportier now, perhaps I could describe it more go-kart like.

I have had and FD2 civic type R (Jap 4 door civic) which was running on Bridgestone RE0707's which had an incredibly hard sidewall and these features were present on that car too.

I'm really surprised changing from Conti's to PS2's has introduced such a difference in feel.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2010, 03:26 PM   #15
Ant Man
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Well, I've done a couple of hundred miles in then and today followed a familiar route that consists of sweeping fast A roads, tight twisting A roads, and bumpy dual carriageway.

I find the PS2's very different to the Conti's and they give the car a very different feel.

The PS2s have a firmer sidewall, the impact of this I would describer as follows:

1. I normally drive with one EDC light on, now it feels as if it's in the firmest setting.

2. More roads noise per-mutating into the cabin

3. The car feels much more 'on it's toes' - This feels odd compared to how it sat on the Conti's.

4. The turn in is sharper than before but the car now feels a little jittery

Overall the car feels more firmly spurn due to the firmer sidewalls, it's sharper, more jittery / edgy but feels even sportier now, perhaps I could describe it more go-kart like.

I have had and FD2 civic type R (Jap 4 door civic) which was running on Bridgestone RE0707's which had an incredibly hard sidewall and these features were present on that car too.

I'm really surprised changing from Conti's to PS2's has introduced such a difference in feel.
Very interesting, thanks for the update.

Are you running the same pressures that you ran with the Contis?

Can you feel the tyres more and is there more feel to the steering particularly around the straight ahed position?

The PS2s might neet more miles to bed in but what's your preference?
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2010, 03:32 PM   #16
Trier Germany
Banned
Luxembourg
Rep
Drives: 2009 E-90 M3 space gray

PS2 firm-side wall you must be joking. PS2 are very quiet and soft soft sidewall!
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2010, 04:40 PM   #17
Zero7
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trier Germany View Post
PS2 firm-side wall you must be joking. PS2 are very quiet and soft soft sidewall!
Really? Then the Contis must be really soft, the difference at the moment is that I with the conti's I used to have EDC in the middle setting, now I have to switch it off with the PS2's.

I did not check my pressure with the Conti's as they were on the car when I got it, I'm going to check pressures on the PS2's tomorrow. They do make the car feel a bit crashier, oh, less weight to the steering too.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2010, 02:40 AM   #18
AM3
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

contis with raised pressures

Interesting your feedback on the PS2's

As I said I would, I increased the pressures on my conti's
2.4 bar on fronts
2.6 bar on rears

Drove to Preston last night from Stoke and back this morning

The drive felt completely different

The car was a lot smoother, took EDC off altogether and the car seemed tame almost
The sidewalls did feel firmer and I was expecting the ride to be a lot bumpier but it certainly wasn't the case

And yes from 18.2 I got 18.3 mpg!!!

Arun
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2010, 05:13 AM   #19
Ant Man
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I did not check my pressure with the Conti's as they were on the car when I got it, I'm going to check pressures on the PS2's tomorrow. They do make the car feel a bit crashier, oh, less weight to the steering too.
Interesting, I assume that the pressures are now higher than when you had the Contis. Unless I'm missing something as almost all reviews report steering feel is much better with PS2 than Contis?
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2010, 05:57 AM   #20
Zero7
Lieutenant
Rep

I am not running 30 upfront and 32 at the back, I do think the pressure needs to be backed of by a couple of PSI when it's pretty hot, I find the steering much lighter with the PS2's but I should really have checked the tyre pressure on the Contis to see if it is pressure related, overall i feel the Conti's suited the car more..

I will let the PS2's bed in a bit more before I write them off totally.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2010, 07:42 AM   #21
Zero7
Lieutenant
Rep

Well, I have come to the conclusion that the PS2's are not as pliable as the Conti's and are a touch harsher on ride, thus not giving me as much flexibility as the conti's, for me they Conti's are a better suited tyre for the M3 in my driving style.

I will probably sell the PS2's or keep them for track and buy another set of wheels and put conti's on them.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2010, 04:33 PM   #22
Ant Man
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Well, I have come to the conclusion that the PS2's are not as pliable as the Conti's and are a touch harsher on ride, thus not giving me as much flexibility as the conti's, for me they Conti's are a better suited tyre for the M3 in my driving style.

I will probably sell the PS2's or keep them for track and buy another set of wheels and put conti's on them.
That's fairly conclusive then. Pls post what the cold pressures are that you're running?

I could forgive a tyre for being stiff if the turn-in and steering feel was good. I'm not too bothered if it's a little harsh around town if it's better suited to B road blasts. Shame that CSC5 have no release date for M3 as E92Fan's review of them suggest they perform very well in all areas so no compromises!

How would you describe your driving style then?
Appreciate 0