BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

09-10-2018, 11:50 AM   #1
aryan_m3
Banned
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Ticking noise

Anyone know what this can be from?
Every time I brake on a slanted ground I hear a tick noise coming from the front, or sometimes in reverse on a hill, can literally feel it through my brake pedal
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2018, 10:42 PM   #2
aryan_m3
Banned
Rep

[QUOTE=M3Post;23704535]Yes, it's your brake pads moving in the caliper brake pad carrier. Normal. The brake pads have a rectangular slot so they can slide in the carrier as they wear down and also to keep them in place. The click is the sound of the pad moving on the caliper slider.[/QUOTE

Any way of getting rid of this noise? its pretty LOUD lol
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2018, 10:52 PM   #3
Scrippy
Lord Scrip
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Coupe

Garage List
  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
[QUOTE=aryan_m3;23707169]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Post View Post
Yes, it's your brake pads moving in the caliper brake pad carrier. Normal. The brake pads have a rectangular slot so they can slide in the carrier as they wear down and also to keep them in place. The click is the sound of the pad moving on the caliper slider.[/QUOTE

Change the pads bra. The last 30-0% does this. Listen how the noise is obvious when switching to reverse because the lads slide the other way.
      09-11-2018, 12:05 PM   #4
aryan_m3
Banned
Rep

[QUOTE=Scrippy;23707198]
Quote:
Originally Posted by aryan_m3 View Post
Quote:
Yes, it's your brake pads moving in the caliper brake pad carrier. Normal. The brake pads have a rectangular slot so they can slide in the carrier as they wear down and also to keep them in place. The click is the sound of the pad moving on the caliper slider.[/QUOTE

Change the pads bra. The last 30-0% does this. Listen how the noise is obvious when switching to reverse because the lads slide the other way.
I'll check out the pads thanks for the tip!
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2018, 06:02 PM   #5
Scrippy
Lord Scrip
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
[QUOTE=aryan_m3;23709056]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrippy View Post
Quote:
Quote:

In my experiences the OEM pads should not be ran past 25% remaining because of what you are hearing. I've heard it too and despise the sound. Clicks, taps and creeks drive me mad lol.
      09-12-2018, 11:38 AM   #6
aryan_m3
Banned
Rep

[QUOTE=Scrippy;23710615]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

In my experiences the OEM pads should not be ran past 25% remaining because of what you are hearing. I've heard it too and despise the sound. Clicks, taps and creeks drive me mad lol.
Literally have 90% left on my pads
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2018, 05:11 PM   #7
Scrippy
Lord Scrip
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
[QUOTE=aryan_m3;23713595]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Literally have 90% left on my pads
Really?! That's not good to hear the pads sliding in the caliper then. You might want to check the two bolts holding the caliper to the hub for proper torque.