BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

BPM

04-22-2014, 12:38 PM   #45
PrimeBMW
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E46 M3+S62, E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastek View Post
Very few people realize that the S62 is the most race developed road car engine BMW has ever produced (aside from the P-series BMW Motorsport engines).
Great choice. But in all honesty, I am sure after all is said and installed you will be closer to 100 lbs. over the s54... which is still not bad, considering the torque and upgrade options and dry sump.

Are you moving the firewall?
How about the Steering Column? Custom Woodward?
Which ABS?
Why not a Drenth DG500 to match? I think they even have a s62 bell housing. Approx. $16k all in.

Fascinating build.
I am on the fence about s65 vs. s62 transplant. Like you said, the lighter weight and high rev of the s65 is great. But the torque and upgrade options for the s62 is a contention.
You are ready to spend my money with all the talk about ABS and a seq. box! The Drenth DG500 seq. box would be nice but it is spendy and we have a quick set up as it is. We plan to see if the stock M5 trans will hold up first. Motorsport ABS I have heard is $4000+. These are all great ideas but it would take more time than we have. Maybe on down the line……..we have enough on our plate at the moment.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2014, 11:40 AM   #46
PrimeBMW
Major
No_Country
Rep

It fits!

Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-13-2014, 05:14 PM   #47
PrimeBMW
Major
No_Country
Rep

Quick update:
We are just finishing up wiring the engine harness. We decided to do this ourselves to save a little money and then we can reproduce if someone else wants the same build (we were quoted $4000). Ordered the Race Pack Smart wire “Racepak SmartWire is a fully programmable power control module”. The ABS module was displaced by the engine so it was relocated. Now we have to reroute the ABS lines. Ordered Tilton 900 series pedals. Once this is done we will finalize the engine mounts and start work on the header and exhaust.
One bit of exciting news. While originally building the car we wanted a carbon fiber drive shaft but we could not find someone willing to build it. This was for the S54 mated to a 5-speed trans. They would quote $2400 then call back the next day and say no. I don’t want to jinx it but believe we have a place willing to manufacture a custom CF unit for us!!!
So this is clearly a slow process but we are making head way.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2014, 11:58 PM   #48
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimeBMW View Post
Quick update:
We are just finishing up wiring the engine harness. We decided to do this ourselves to save a little money and then we can reproduce if someone else wants the same build (we were quoted $4000). Ordered the Race Pack Smart wire “Racepak SmartWire is a fully programmable power control module”. The ABS module was displaced by the engine so it was relocated. Now we have to reroute the ABS lines. Ordered Tilton 900 series pedals. Once this is done we will finalize the engine mounts and start work on the header and exhaust.
One bit of exciting news. While originally building the car we wanted a carbon fiber drive shaft but we could not find someone willing to build it. This was for the S54 mated to a 5-speed trans. They would quote $2400 then call back the next day and say no. I don’t want to jinx it but believe we have a place willing to manufacture a custom CF unit for us!!!
So this is clearly a slow process but we are making head way.
is that reproduce part aimed at me? monkey see monkey do.

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|apr gt 250 & splitter|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2014, 12:38 AM   #49
PrimeBMW
Major
No_Country
Rep

That would be great if you went through with the swap.......more the merrier! I think it will be a situation where we have to prove the speed and reliability. And that is exactly what we plan to do.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2014, 08:32 AM   #50
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

Quote:
That would be great if you went through with the swap.......more the merrier! I think it will be a situation where we have to prove the speed and reliability. And that is exactly what we plan to do.
I doubt I ever would due to cost but would still like to get my hands on a full built s54 possibly down the road.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2014, 08:49 AM   #51
mkPOTO
Mr. Nice Says Hello
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 | X5 xdrive 35i MSport

Garage List
very cool, Flipm3 is doing the same with his friends car. Going to be sick!
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2014, 04:31 PM   #52
PrimeBMW
Major
No_Country
Rep

Update: We are still working away but the work is slow. One step at a time as much of the build requires one thing to be completed before you can move on to the next step.........it all ties together. Most of the hold ups have been waiting on parts. I don’t want to bore you with the long winded details (you can PM me if you really want to know) but it has been quite a process trying to acquire parts. Delays, parts never delivered, improper information, wrong parts sent, partial orders sent, UPS fraud, take my money and run, etc….. The good news is that the venders mess up so badly that we now can go directly to the manufacture for the parts. We can now buy directly from Dailey Engineering (dry sump pan and pump) and Tilton (clutch and pedal box). Honestly working directly with the manufacture or buying used parts has been a breeze.
At this point we are back to fabrication where the engine mounts, headers and steering column will all be fighting for the same space. Once this step is complete we will be very close.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2014, 04:36 PM   #53
PrimeBMW
Major
No_Country
Rep

Driveshaft Shop carbon fiber drive shaft!!

We started working with the Driveshaft shop just a few weeks ago. They were able to come through with a custom carbon fiber drive shaft!! It is impressive but their stickers are pretty cool also!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-01-2014, 05:11 PM   #54
su_maverick
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 M5 IS300

This looks awesome. I hope you are all having a blast with doing this build. I had some of the best times building my old LS1 RX7 on evenings and weekends. I felt so proud when that thing fired up for the first time and I drove it out of the garage.

Definitely sub'd
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2014, 05:32 PM   #55
PrimeBMW
Major
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by su_maverick View Post
This looks awesome. I hope you are all having a blast with doing this build. I had some of the best times building my old LS1 RX7 on evenings and weekends. I felt so proud when that thing fired up for the first time and I drove it out of the garage.

Definitely sub'd
Believe me I have a big smile on my face when a new part comes in or the next step is completed. The problem is you start thinking ahead and dreaming about firing it up and driving.........but then the frustration kicks in because you know the process is slow.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2014, 07:18 PM   #56
su_maverick
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Believe me I have a big smile on my face when a new part comes in or the next step is completed. The problem is you start thinking ahead and dreaming about firing it up and driving.........but then the frustration kicks in because you know the process is slow.
I know that all too well. Thats why it took me a year to do. Find out you need something... its custom... place order.. wait a month or two.

In the end though, I learned so much about the minute workings of cars. I do not envy you creating the harness. Running down issues with sensors, connections and relays had me pulling hair out.

Are you creating a completely new subframe or modifying an old one?

And trust me.. no matter how big of a pain it is, hearing that thing turn over and being able to move the car is so worth it. And bring a second pair of underwear when you do the first shake down run because you might get a little too excited.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2014, 11:25 AM   #57
swhat
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 MW E92

Sick! Living my dream...definitely subbed.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2014, 09:42 AM   #58
PrimeBMW
Major
No_Country
Rep

The Smart Wire is like a computer controlled breaker box. We can pug it into the laptop and diagnose any electrical issues we may have with the initial install but more importantly during a race. It will save a lot of time.
The subframe does not need to be altered with this dry sump pan/pump.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2014, 11:39 AM   #59
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Love the updates! Keep it up!
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2014, 11:47 AM   #60
PrimeBMW
Major
No_Country
Rep

Carbon Drive shaft

Oh, that carbon fiber drive shaft is rated for 1,000 hp!!
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2014, 02:16 PM   #61
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Oh, that carbon fiber drive shaft is rated for 1,000 hp!!
Dude! Your really balls deep into this build.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2014, 12:18 AM   #62
PrimeBMW
Major
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
Dude! Your really balls deep into this build.
Well I won't ever have 1,000hp but yes I am in deep now and can't stop. Its just and other example where for a few hundred more you can have something that will work better. But thats just the way I am. I want to do it right the first time and not skimp the details.......
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2014, 12:22 AM   #63
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Well I won't ever have 1,000hp but yes I am in deep now and can't stop. Its just and other example where for a few hundred more you can have something that will work better. But thats just the way I am. I want to do it right the first time and not skimp the details.......
i hear yah.

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|apr gt 250 & splitter|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2014, 09:06 AM   #64
su_maverick
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The Smart Wire is like a computer controlled breaker box. We can pug it into the laptop and diagnose any electrical issues we may have with the initial install but more importantly during a race. It will save a lot of time.
The subframe does not need to be altered with this dry sump pan/pump.
What I would have given to have that when I did my electrical work. I remember spending a week trying to track down an issue that I thought was with the CAS but ended up being a finicky ground wire.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2014, 12:16 PM   #65
PrimeBMW
Major
No_Country
Rep

The latest: The car is back with the fabricator. It turns out the engine needs to go backwards 3/8". That will cause a domino effect. The brake and clutch pedals (pedal box) will need to move back. But that will allow/require us to move not only the engine, pedals including gas pedal, steering column & wheel but the driver. So we are thinking of moving the seat back 1.5 inches. All good things but a little more work.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2014, 02:35 PM   #66
su_maverick
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The latest: The car is back with the fabricator. It turns out the engine needs to go backwards 3/8". That will cause a domino effect. The brake and clutch pedals (pedal box) will need to move back. But that will allow/require us to move not only the engine, pedals including gas pedal, steering column & wheel but the driver. So we are thinking of moving the seat back 1.5 inches. All good things but a little more work.
Have you thought about floor mounted pedals? My friend to tracks his car switched to those and says he would never go back.
Appreciate 0