BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

07-28-2013, 05:54 PM   #1
Crypty
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '08 e92 M3

HDPE Accident and insurance coverage?

I was involved in an accident at an autocross where I hit a curb. The damage is pretty bad. My initial instinct was to avoid involving insurance as it wouldn't be covered anyway. I got an (absurd) estimate for over $30k to *fully* repair my car which I just cannot afford to pay at the moment. The shop manager who estimated my car thinks they probably would cover it and then quickly drop me.
I've had no luck finding concrete wording that would exclude my case from coverage, just very old forum posts citing varying policy verbiage which I can't find anywhere else.

Anyone have any guess as to wether this would be covered? Or know where I can find the full policy details for GEICO?

Does one insurance company receiving a claim like this tie into other insurance companies and hinder my ability to get coverage from others?
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2013, 06:21 PM   #2
Seminole
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Red Flyer

Garage List
2008 E90 328i  [7.00]
http://wurthmotorsports.com/?p=284

Best way to find out for sure is to call your agent. Don't mention it being a race, and hopefully you had an instructor in your car with you when the accident happened.
      07-28-2013, 10:36 PM   #3
F32
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW

Would it weigh too heavily on your conscience to just not tell them it happened at an auto-cross? You must be a saint.

I've known people who have totaled street-cars at HPDE events. Insurance covered them just fine. Now keep in mind, open track-days are non-competitive and are not timed. An auto-cross is, so if you absolutely must tell them you were auto-crossing, they have the right to deny you.

What the hell were you doing auto-crossing an M3, anyway? I though that that was for $2,500 Miatas and little garage builds and people stopped in the late-90s...
Appreciate 0