BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

EXXEL Distributions

03-16-2021, 06:29 PM   #1893
Bamboo123
Private
Rep
Drives: bmw e91

Hi all, so after reading all the forurms and research regarding these mmi boxes, i think i finally found a answer after all the mix feedbacks for aux cable being in arm rest. Too my understanding if you have combo box with aux and USB you have to plug in aux cable to armrest aux port however you can code out both aux and usb so it uses the harness instead for sound. Can anyone confirm this as the only reason stopping me from buying these mmi carplay was running a ugly cable to my arm rest to be able to have sound. There was only 1 user that managed sound through bluetooth i'e nav and music which didnt seem possible with loads of other users. andream sent me photos and said if aux is activated i would not need to connect AUX cable however to my understanding from peoples feedback if you have both USB and AUX then its not possible unless coding. Unless anyone else managed to have carplay waze/maps nav sound play through combobox bluetooth streaming can give some feedback that be great!
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2021, 07:29 PM   #1894
georgebmwM3
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [9.00]
2017 Camaro ZL1  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamboo123 View Post
Hi all, so after reading all the forurms and research regarding these mmi boxes, i think i finally found a answer after all the mix feedbacks for aux cable being in arm rest. Too my understanding if you have combo box with aux and USB you have to plug in aux cable to armrest aux port however you can code out both aux and usb so it uses the harness instead for sound. Can anyone confirm this as the only reason stopping me from buying these mmi carplay was running a ugly cable to my arm rest to be able to have sound. There was only 1 user that managed sound through bluetooth i'e nav and music which didnt seem possible with loads of other users. andream sent me photos and said if aux is activated i would not need to connect AUX cable however to my understanding from peoples feedback if you have both USB and AUX then its not possible unless coding. Unless anyone else managed to have carplay waze/maps nav sound play through combobox bluetooth streaming can give some feedback that be great!
I will be installing soon. I will film the entire process and post it. Hopefully it will be done in the next couple of weeks.
Appreciate 1
Rochen_00349.50
      03-17-2021, 02:44 AM   #1895
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Most people seem to be able to code the car so the aux comes from the quad harness. Not sure why it doesn't work for a handful of people.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2021, 03:10 AM   #1896
georgebmwM3
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [9.00]
2017 Camaro ZL1  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
Most people seem to be able to code the car so the aux comes from the quad harness. Not sure why it doesn't work for a handful of people.
In case I need to code, how would I do that?
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2021, 07:50 AM   #1897
Bamboo123
Private
Rep

Quote:
sorry yeah most people coded out the aux so that can be used from the quad harness i dont really feel confidents to code my car. Had some bad experience with my FRM not accepting anything so not going risk it. I think im going pull the trigger and suck it up and run a AUX cable to the arm rest. I do wanna know if anyone else managed to play music/nav through combo bluetooth streaming through that be interesting and game changer
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2021, 08:16 AM   #1898
Cyberdemon
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i, 2018 M3 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgebmwM3 View Post
Quote:
sorry yeah most people coded out the aux so that can be used from the quad harness i dont really feel confidents to code my car. Had some bad experience with my FRM not accepting anything so not going risk it. I think im going pull the trigger and suck it up and run a AUX cable to the arm rest. I do wanna know if anyone else managed to play music/nav through combo bluetooth streaming through that be interesting and game changer
Doing this with an app like Bimmercode is pretty low risk. Trying to run NCSExpert is obviously a lot more of a pain in the ass to get set up, but with the apps it's pretty foolproof and it's only modifying two values for the CIC.

Shouldn't have any issues with your FRM if you aren't writing code to that module.

Playing sound through the Combox works only for audio, you will lose any other Carplay sound that way (Siri, Messages, Navigation, etc).

The Aux audio comes with a certain amount of sound degradation which is why coding is preferred besides just running the cable (Which is easy and can be done completely underneath the console)
      03-17-2021, 10:58 AM   #1899
Bamboo123
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberdemon View Post
Doing this with an app like Bimmercode is pretty low risk. Trying to run NCSExpert is obviously a lot more of a pain in the ass to get set up, but with the apps it's pretty foolproof and it's only modifying two values for the CIC.

Shouldn't have any issues with your FRM if you aren't writing code to that module.

Playing sound through the Combox works only for audio, you will lose any other Carplay sound that way (Siri, Messages, Navigation, etc).

The Aux audio comes with a certain amount of sound degradation which is why coding is preferred besides just running the cable (Which is easy and can be done completely underneath the console)
Thanks, is it 100% certain that if you have AUX and USB in arm rest you have to code out both so that you can use harness ? Reading the post can i test and see it works without coding and for example if it dont work can i then put everything back to originally code out the AUX/USB then put the mmi box back in? Dont feel confidents with playing around the idrive/automatic selection
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2021, 11:32 AM   #1900
Cyberdemon
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Thanks, is it 100% certain that if you have AUX and USB in arm rest you have to code out both so that you can use harness ? Reading the post can i test and see it works without coding and for example if it dont work can i then put everything back to originally code out the AUX/USB then put the mmi box back in? Dont feel confidents with playing around the idrive/automatic selection
As far as we know yes. No one except 1 person in the UK on another forum seemed to be able to get this working without coding those changes.

You can test if it works, but if the multitude of people who have tried at this point are an indication your chances of it working are slim especially if you're in an M3 and not a base 3 series or other platform.

It's not to say you couldn't do it, but you're probably just adding a few un-necessary hours of headache at this rate.
      03-17-2021, 12:50 PM   #1901
Bamboo123
Private
Rep

Quote:
As far as we know yes. No one except 1 person in the UK on another forum seemed to be able to get this working without coding those changes.

You can test if it works, but if the multitude of people who have tried at this point are an indication your chances of it working are slim especially if you're in an M3 and not a base 3 series or other platform.

It's not to say you couldn't do it, but you're probably just adding a few un-necessary hours of headache at this rate.

thanks for quick reply! well im from the UK not a M3 unfortunately just a E91 330D i will report back next week going pull the trigger and buy it from UK seller and try without coding also the same time running the stupid aux cable, currently cant found my beemercode reader no idea where i put it lol but will report back for some folks if my cars different
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2021, 01:51 PM   #1902
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Quote:
You can get some free tools for your PC but I don't use those. I'm not sure what the free ones are called but should be easy to find a guide on the forum if you want to invest time into that.

I used BimmerCode in the "expert" mode to make the 3 required coding changes. BimmerCode is an app for iPhone/ipad. Android has a version but not sure it has all the Apple features. I also needed an OBD dongle do the iPhone can wireless connect to the car to do the coding.

You likely want to do the coding BEFORE the install because the easiest way to install the Carsara disables coding to the idrive module.
Appreciate 1
      03-17-2021, 05:57 PM   #1903
Bamboo123
Private
Rep

Hi all just placed my order! sorry just to confirm i have the big cic screen on my E91 the switch i need to do is 2-3 on and everything off but what if i tapped my original mic do i need to switch 8 on or leave that off?
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2021, 07:10 PM   #1904
georgebmwM3
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [9.00]
2017 Camaro ZL1  [0.00]
Quote:
You can get some free tools for your PC but I don't use those. I'm not sure what the free ones are called but should be easy to find a guide on the forum if you want to invest time into that.

I used BimmerCode in the "expert" mode to make the 3 required coding changes. BimmerCode is an app for iPhone/ipad. Android has a version but not sure it has all the Apple features. I also needed an OBD dongle do the iPhone can wireless connect to the car to do the coding.

You likely want to do the coding BEFORE the install because the easiest way to install the Carsara disables coding to the idrive module.
I purchased a Bluetooth OBDLinx MX+ and downloaded BimmerCode. What section has to be coded and what should it say? Thank you for your help.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2021, 08:19 PM   #1905
Cyberdemon
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I purchased a Bluetooth OBDLinx MX+ and downloaded BimmerCode. What section has to be coded and what should it say? Thank you for your help.
CIC

CDMM_AUX_HU
aktiv

CDMM_USB_AUDIO_SINGLE
nicht_aktiv

CDMM_USB_AUDIO_DOUBLE_0B
nicht_aktiv
akkando5864.50
      03-17-2021, 08:39 PM   #1906
georgebmwM3
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [9.00]
2017 Camaro ZL1  [0.00]
Quote:
CIC

CDMM_AUX_HU
aktiv

CDMM_USB_AUDIO_SINGLE
nicht_aktiv

CDMM_USB_AUDIO_DOUBLE_0B
nicht_aktiv
Is that the same for ccc system? Thank you
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2021, 08:20 AM   #1907
Cyberdemon
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Is that the same for ccc system? Thank you
No, that was specific for the Carsara box for CIC. Any other units are going to be a science project.
      03-18-2021, 08:56 AM   #1908
Bamboo123
Private
Rep

Quote:
No, that was specific for the Carsara box for CIC. Any other units are going to be a science project.
just placed my order! sorry just to confirm i have the big cic screen on my E91 the switch i need to do is 2-3 on and everything off but what if i tapped my original mic ( with the cable supplied) do i need to switch 8 on or leave that off?
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2021, 09:33 AM   #1909
Cyberdemon
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
just placed my order! sorry just to confirm i have the big cic screen on my E91 the switch i need to do is 2-3 on and everything off but what if i tapped my original mic ( with the cable supplied) do i need to switch 8 on or leave that off?
You should check with the vendor on this. For the Carsara box the toggles were 3/4 or 3/4/7. If they said 2/3/8 that's something different. I don't know what box you ordered thoguh.

The Mic shouldn't really change anything, the toggles as far as I know are adjusting display resolution, it's feeding in through the 3.5MM jack on the Carplay box pigtail regardless of what Mic you are connecting to.
      03-18-2021, 05:06 PM   #1910
Bamboo123
Private
Rep

Quote:
You should check with the vendor on this. For the Carsara box the toggles were 3/4 or 3/4/7. If they said 2/3/8 that's something different. I don't know what box you ordered thoguh.

The Mic shouldn't really change anything, the toggles as far as I know are adjusting display resolution, it's feeding in through the 3.5MM jack on the Carplay box pigtail regardless of what Mic you are connecting to.

Thanks, Vendor said just 3/4 but im just reading all the other switches what they are for and spotted 8 is for aftermarket mic on and off for OEM
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2021, 08:47 AM   #1911
Bamboo123
Private
Rep

hurrayyy my box turn up today also bright side i found my vgate obd for my bimmercode! went to code out

CDMM_AUX_HU
aktiv

CDMM_USB_AUDIO_SINGLE
nicht_aktiv

CDMM_USB_AUDIO_DOUBLE_0B
nicht_aktiv

However CDMM_USB_AUDIO_DOUBLE_0B was already on nicht_aktiv ? anyone else had the same ? Not sure if it will still work i will be attempting to fit the box tomorrow or in the next few days! bimmercode work a wonder and it was pretty quick and easy to change the value so lets hope it works and i can use the harness over the AUX cable!
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2021, 12:59 PM   #1912
Bamboo123
Private
Rep

hi guys, spent around 3 hours fitting the whole lot, managed to code out aux in arm rest! Car plays works however every now again i get red screen and the mmi box reboot it self?
i dont know is it the faulty mmi box or have i fitted it wrong ? the only thing i can think off i done wrong was the idrive low/high connectori fitted wrong so i try fitting A in to B and L left unplug and then switch to A unpluged and B in to L plug but i still get same result i spent over 1 hour trying to figure out what did i do wrong spent another 2 hours trying to fix this problem by unplugging everything and trying again but no luck! anyone had similar problems? i dont know if it matters but i left the USB connector unplugged as i do not need it ?

also does anyone have the MIC settings im getting report of people can hear themself over carplay.
Appreciate 1
      03-26-2021, 10:54 AM   #1913
IMS M3
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 M3, '98 M3

ZZ2 Carplay Module

Has anyone heard of the ZZ-2 Carplay module? My audio installer is a dealer for this version and it's $850.

https://zz-2.com/products/it-cic-w
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2021, 05:45 PM   #1914
washere
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 E93

Positive Result coding with the Kremersino (V3 I believe, the first one with the crazy Bluetooth over air thing that never worked right). I am so happy now that Siri, messages, and nav directions work. They essentially never have before!
I already had the first one set to Active, no idea why. Maybe I tried to figure this out a long time ago, who knows.

CDMM_AUX_HU
aktiv

CDMM_USB_AUDIO_SINGLE
nicht_aktiv

CDMM_USB_AUDIO_DOUBLE_0B
nicht_aktiv
Appreciate 0